6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How to get 20-30 HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Pm sent to Aaron
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by QwikKota
I'm going with a K&N drop in filter mainly for cost concerns but most aftermarket intakes soak up a lot of engine bay heat. Where I live we have high water concerns during heavy rains so a properly design cold air intake that is mounted in the fender well and lower than stock is not a good idea for my area. I have never understood the underhood bling factor either. Its one thing to look nice on the outside, wheels etc but for an area that is covered 99% of the time its kind of a waste of money. But if you got it spend it!
If you're modding your engine for performance gains then no bling is required, those of us who go to numerous shows, meets, and racing throughout the year like a bling looking engine, no different then someone decking out their trunk with a ****load of amps, speakers, TV's, electronics, in a area covered 99% of the time as well.

What I don't understand is how someone can wash, wax, buff, detail and make their car sparkle yet leave their engine all dirty and grungy, it's like cleaning your room but leaving all the crap under the bed, it still translates to a half a$$ job...

To each his own I guess...
Old 12-06-2007, 11:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

Diveshaft reference + pulley + FWD =

I have a pulley, saw no gains. maybe on other cars, but not on this one. I have one just to say "I have one'. i.e. didn't leave any stoned unturned.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
wat

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

I have a pulley, saw no gains. maybe on other cars, but not on this one. I have one just to say "I have one'. i.e. didn't leave any stoned unturned.
was there even any change in the curve?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Update I'm gonan wait till Jan or Feb when Cattman comes out withe there header and Y pipe combo, I spoke to Brian today and he said they would be released then and gains are 20-25whp as prevoius gens have had those gains. So till then I'm gonna wait to do anything, Just tints and remote start and alarm.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Was it Dyno tuned after install? If not your ECU may have grabbed hold of it and recal'ed your A/F (normally 3-5 days after install with normal driving) to compensate, bottom line the UPD will still make your engine run smoother...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Was it Dyno tuned after install? If not your ECU may have grabbed hold of it and recal'ed your A/F (normally 3-5 days after install with normal driving) to compensate, bottom line the UPD will still make your engine run smoother...
How can you tune something that hasn't altered the AFR?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
How can you tune something that hasn't altered the AFR?
What I meant was how do you know if you didn't have any gains if you don't dyno it!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
dot dot dot ...

What I meant was how do you know if you didn't have any gains if you don't dyno it!!!
me, not dyno?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM

Al pullies are nice. I got a set on the Buick. I didn't see any dramatic increase in power but I did notice the engine idles better and revs quicker which can't hurt. I stayed with the stock size, keeps things simpler.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Where is my shirt?

Thanks for the info Chern!!

I just bought the Crank Pulley!!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I know with the VE30DE and the ASP UDP, I noticed a HUGE gain in throttle response and a small gain in low end torque below 3500rpm, which was needed in my VE Auto which lacked low end power when it was close to stock.

The stock crank pulley is exactly 8.5lbs and the ASP UDP is something like 2lbs (not sure on that). And the ASP UDP is not underdriven by much. I think it's 15%. The biggest increase was simply b/c of the weight reduction.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM

aha! gotchu'!
Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Where is my shirt?

Where are the gains seen with the Unorthodox Racing Pulley?

Meaning... the lower or higher RPM's?

What would be the best item at mid range power?

3rd gear seems to be the toughest... well atleast when using tronic.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Have a UDP and gates belts and no issues at all...I also have an AEM CAI, I removed the resonator. I am getting the headers and the spacer next....should be good for 30 HP? FSB, RSB, Stillen Grill, Eibach Prokit 1 and I just ordered the KYB GR2's...
Old 12-07-2007, 05:07 AM

i know cattman headers, when up for sale in the coming months, are supposedly good for about 20-25 w/ good torque gains as well!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:28 AM

You should look at www.cosmoracing.com. Get their Underdrive Pulley. Its dirt cheap at $56 + shipping.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
You should look at www.cosmoracing.com. Get their Underdrive Pulley. Its dirt cheap at $56 + shipping.
hmmmm interesting. I may have to look into that.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM

If you're modding your engine for performance gains then no bling is required, those of us who go to numerous shows, meets, and racing throughout the year like a bling looking engine, no different then someone decking out their trunk with a ****load of amps, speakers, TV's, electronics, in a area covered 99% of the time as well.

What I don't understand is how someone can wash, wax, buff, detail and make their car sparkle yet leave their engine all dirty and grungy, it's like cleaning your room but leaving all the crap under the bed, it still translates to a half a$$ job...

To each his own I guess...
Well an engine bay doesn't need to get cleaned as often as a car's exterior does. I try to wash my outside once a week and new wax once a month but I have other duties in my life that usually push that back. Inside the car is more important to me than the engine bay but I don't like a dirty one. If you have enough time in the day to wash all 3 areas then you are free as can be. Even when I lived in my apartment, no pets or girlfriend I still could barely find enough time for all of that on a saturday. Trust me, you don't want to see my room, lol. Monitors in the trunk, hmm, that has to be the dumbest thing one could possibly spend hard earned money on. I got to a lot of car shows and for a while a lot of meets for certain vehicles and when I saw a highly cosmetically modded engine bay, to me it just looks like there is way too much going on under the hood. I like a happy medium between stock and modified. My truck originally had a body kit on it and I like it much better with the side pieces removed. The hood and front grill/bumper that came with those pieces was pretty awful and got removed within days of driving it back from L.A. lol.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus, waxing once a month?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM

What is desired rarely is what occurs. Nasty air here in Houston. I am not too far from refineries etc so rain is full of chemicals and I try to replace the wax when it stops beading up nice and high. Its probably not that often but that is the goal. Not garaged either.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:37 PM

I try to as well...a buff with a polishing pad, when some minor scratches start to appear from the ****ty mitts and chamois that we have at work

What is desired rarely is what occurs. Nasty air here in Houston. I am not too far from refineries etc so rain is full of chemicals and I try to replace the wax when it stops beading up nice and high. Its probably not that often but that is the goal. Not garaged either.
I baby my car too! Mostly too much, but I do whatever I can and the outcomes are quite nice, as are the compliments!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

I try to as well...a buff with a polishing pad, when some minor scratches start to appear from the ****ty mitts and chamois that we have at work
I've waxed my 4th gen more than I've waxed this thing (never, )
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 PM

I've waxed my 4th gen more than I've waxed this thing (never, )
"This thing" meaning your 5th gen?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM

Well an engine bay doesn't need to get cleaned as often as a car's exterior does. I try to wash my outside once a week and new wax once a month but I have other duties in my life that usually push that back. Inside the car is more important to me than the engine bay but I don't like a dirty one. If you have enough time in the day to wash all 3 areas then you are free as can be. Even when I lived in my apartment, no pets or girlfriend I still could barely find enough time for all of that on a saturday. Trust me, you don't want to see my room, lol. Monitors in the trunk, hmm, that has to be the dumbest thing one could possibly spend hard earned money on. I got to a lot of car shows and for a while a lot of meets for certain vehicles and when I saw a highly cosmetically modded engine bay, to me it just looks like there is way too much going on under the hood. I like a happy medium between stock and modified. My truck originally had a body kit on it and I like it much better with the side pieces removed. The hood and front grill/bumper that came with those pieces was pretty awful and got removed within days of driving it back from L.A. lol.

My engine bay stays fairly clean. I just wipe t down with a damp cloth everytime I wash the car. Takes not even 5 mintues.

I think that it's easier for some more than others to keep their max clean and alot of factors can affecrt that. And the engine bay gets you extra points when you go to shows. Judges pay attention to detail, the small things get as much attention as the big things do.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM

the side of that fuse box looks like it has some dirt/dust particles accumulating

Old 12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

"This thing" meaning your 5th gen?
That's correct.

____________________ My engine bay

Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 PM

the side of that fuse box looks like it has some dirt/dust particles accumulating

That's before I washed it.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Newbie just Registered

Waxing makes car less visible to air, less drag; thus increase in WHP!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM

d00d!!! I have the same motor!

Originally Posted by shawndon
That's before I washed it.
uh huh sure!

Originally Posted by RHMax
Waxing makes car less visible to air, less drag; thus increase in WHP!!!
exactly why I do it! It's aerodynamicer!

Last edited by !PrjctMax!; 12-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
MAXIN' ON

FUJITA...? have you been reading? lol

Kinetix
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=544347

Mufflers are subjective IMO. For me, I'd rather sacrifice the few WHP and still maintain a quiet sound.
I went with what I said because in his post he was concerned about noise and Im was trying get get some gains and still save money. While I have the fujita and its a nice piece it does add noise in upper rpm band. On the kinetix also a nice piece it is pricey at $850 plus install for 10 hp.
I would have done spacers instead of the fujita but if he wants all out and doesnt mind some noise keep the fujita. Mufflers while dont add much but do compliment the car. Quoting you on another account of the kinetix,

"I say to start off with the "basic" bolt-ons, and work your way up to boost.

Fujita
Intake Manifold Spacers
Cattman y-pipe
Wait for the headers from Cattman
Cattman exhaust
Short shifter for sure
Tune for sure

IMO, don't get the Kinetix until you get boost or nitrous.

Don't get a cut-off...this isn't a CRX"

So I guess everyone has their opinion, like on the crank pulley. I guess Ill keep reading unitl I learn more.

Last edited by redls1; 12-08-2007 at 12:30 PM.