6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

swap from 5at to CVT??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Clutches are so 2006 get with the program CVT on all 2007 and up not just Maximas...LOL
Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by po8pimp
This tranny has been in Volvo and in Saturn for about 6-8 years. I called Volvo and they said they have done one swap since it was introduced to their cars. Sounds like a nissan problem not a tranny problem.

Nothing further from truth. I provide IT services to a local tranny parts wholesaler and they said that that tranny is horrible. It has been terrrible on Volvo vehicles as much as it is on Nissans. Their statements were along the lines that this tranny has more than it's ususal share of problems. They called it a "hot" item = Something that makes their business go up, up and up.

After I told them that the dealer replaced my tranny they (owners, you can consider them friends) told me to get rid of the car because eventually the tranny will fail again. I was told that Nissan simply rebuilds them and the problem is never corrected. There are kits that private re-builders use to beef them up (I think Chern had that done) but as far as Nissan is concerned, they just replace it to get you past your warranty. After that, you are on your own.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow so I just read all the replies and seems like there is alot of disputes between you all. I mean I am on my second transmission with a rebuilt valvebody ...... there were three of us at the same dealer in Hawaii of all places with the same tranny issues. .......None of us on here knew about the 5at Problems till a couple months ago and everyone who had them where 04 and early 05's with the most with around 50k miles or more so CVT has some catching up to do. ......
Yeah who would have know there would be such spirited discussion on a possible CVT tranny swap. IMO, I'd try a 6sp conv if you end up paying for it by yourself or trade it in. I'm on my second tranny too. http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-problems.html I agree, lets give the CVT a chance to get up in the 30-60k mile range and see how it holds up. I hope every CVT holds up and it proves to be a great move by Nissan.

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
......I was told that Nissan simply rebuilds them and the problem is never corrected........ but as far as Nissan is concerned, they just replace it to get you past your warranty. After that, you are on your own.
That pretty much what I was told. No confirmed root cause, just put a rebuilt in there. No, "we have identified and upgraded a faulty or weak part". It's been 15k since the rebuilt and the fluid is good, keeping my fingers crossed. If it holds up great, if it fails, I hope at that time some "tranny mods" will be available so it will be the last time I'd have to rebuild it. One thing that really bothers me is there is no way to add a tranny cooler (see my thread) to the 05-06 auto trannies.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM

What is the official verdict on the CVT fluid change? Some people say 30,000 some say 60,000 and some say it just needs to be checked. I am stuck I have 30,000 miles and I do not know when should I do maintenance on the Transmission. Help Please!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DocJohn
There was no actual reduction in HP (265 to 255) in the gen 6.5 Maxima. The apparent reduction in HP was because of a change in how it is measured starting with the 2007 model year due to the Society of Automotive Engineers introduction of a new standardized horsepower measuring system.

Also, If you think the Nissan CVT has issues (which, by the way, no one has shown any stats that it has a higher failure or repair rate than the average conventional AT), just read about all the problems with the AT in the Acura CL's and TL's.

I was about to put this, but this is better said.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Incognito

Originally Posted by STARR
HAHA, actually every time I go to the dealer their is a Maxima with a ceased engine, their is an 05 sitting in the shop with 37,000 and no oil change ever and a Quest with 30k has a ceased engine the bill for the Maxima is about $9000

Some owners just neglect the hell out of the car
The exact same thing happened to an 05 max sl at my dealer. When I went in last week for an oil change and a checkup there was a grey 05 sitting there with the hood up. The tech walked into the service dept, and is like "The engine is locked up, no oil at all" guy had never gotten an oil change on the car, had 25k miles on it. I just laughed, service tech told me it happens all the time, people are just stupid I guess.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Incognito

oh and dont swap the 5at for a cvt... get a built up 5at or a 6spd swap. Swapping out the 5at for a cvt is just stupid.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM

the cvt is not bad its been dependable for me it took a while to get use to it.but if you are trying to swap the 5at for cvt honestly my opinion i would not do it.Even though it seem that the regular trans seem to be giving more problems than the cvt ones.I have not yet seen someone complain about a cvt trans went out but i have seen multiple people say the regular trans on their max went out.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 PM

No Dont
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Incognito

heres the prob. most people havent hit 60k miles with a CVT... the majority of people with 5at problems are well around the 60k mark... which is around the time you can expect a ****ty nissan tran to fail. Hence the 60k pt warranty.

The CVT has no benefit over the 5at... unless you like hearing your engine at a constant RPM - (fujita sounds like **** on a cvt imo)

just do a 6speed swap... its so much easier for maint/repair cost.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by slick101
No Dont
and you quit post whoring lol
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

the only time it would make sense to swap is if you were going to install a manual transmission.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM

wow so I just read all the replies and seems like there is alot of disputes between you all. I mean I am on my second transmission with a rebuilt valvebody and it sux my a**. I loved this transmission when I first got it but now I am pretty much fed up with it. I have the option to take nissan to court but for what a new tranny that will die in another year like this one. That is why I was looking to a swap. This tranny has been in Volvo and in Saturn for about 6-8 years. I called Volvo and they said they have done one swap since it was introduced to their cars. Sounds like a nissan problem not a tranny problem. I think something electrical is causing the tranny to go bad. I am not alone either. there were three of us at the same dealer in Hawaii of all places with the same tranny issues. The other two were under warrenty. I however am not. Nissan USA said they will cover 15% of the repairs to whatever I get done to fix the issue. They don't know what's wrong with it. I am pretty pissed off at them for this. I told myself after I bought a Ford Explodition that I would never buy an american made car but I am leaning in that direction again. Ohh and to resolve some arguements, None of us on here knew about the 5at Problems till a couple months ago and everyone who had them where 04 and early 05's with the most with around 50k miles or more so CVT has some catching up to do. I do drive my car hard but I take care of it in the garage as well. I change oil every 3k and lube and rotate everything clean as a whistle. I have changed my tranny fluid at least 5 times and even tried royal purple which lasted about 2 months till I had the fluid flushed out. I think I will pursue my lawsuit and hope for the best. I have a tranny shop that will warrenty my tranny for 3 years so that is where I will get it done. If I had the time I would start a class action lawsuit but being in the military really takes up all my time.
You don't need to change your tranny fluid that much. That could've had just as much to do with it.

Good luck on your lawsuit, I don't see it working out for you.

2004 TO CURRENT ALL NISSAN MODELS; SPECIAL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID REQUIREMENT
If Warranty repairs are being done on a transmission listed in the chart below, the listed fluid must be used. A claim to Nissan for warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs to the transmissions listed below may be denied if Genuine Nissan ATF/CVT Fluid is not used as specified by the part # in this bulletin.

1/2
Classification: Reference: Date:
AT07-006a NTB08-049a August 8, 2008
NISSAN; SPECIAL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
FLUID REQUIREMENT
This bulletin has been amended to apply to all current production models.
Please discard all earlier versions.
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2004 to current Nissan vehicles

SERVICE INFORMATION
If Warranty repairs are being done on a transmission listed in the chart on page 2, the listed fluid must be used. A claim to Nissan for warranty, service contract, or goodwill repairs to the transmissions listed below may be denied if Genuine Nissan ATF/CVT Fluid is not used as specified by the part number in this bulletin. If Customer Pay service or repair of the transmissions listed below is done, the fluid type listed in the chart on page 2 must be used. Nissan recommends the Genuine Nissan ATF/CVT fluid part number listed below be used.

Nissan Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not 'do-it-yourselfers'. Qualified technicians are properly trained individuals who have the equipment, tools, safety instruction, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. NOTE: If you believe that a described condition may apply to a particular vehicle, DO NOT assume that it does. See your Nissan dealer to determine if this applies to your vehicle.

PARTS INFORMATION
A/T DESCRIPTION FLUID TYPE FLUID DESCRIPTION PART #
CVT NS2
(1) Nissan CVT Fluid NS-2 999MP-NS200P
4 SPD FWD Matic D
(2) Nissan Matic D 999MP-AA100P
4 SPD RWD Matic D
(2) Nissan Matic D 999MP-AA100P
5 SPD FWD Matic K
(2) Nissan Matic K 999MP-MTK00P

NOTE:
Nissan ATF/CVT Fluid and all chemicals are ordered through the Nissan Direct
Ship Chemical Care Product Program: Phone 1.800.811.0502, Fax 1.770.218.0148,
Website order link via dealer portal
www.NNAnet.com or order direct

(1)
CAUTION: Use only Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2. Do not mix with other
fluids. Using transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN CVT Fluid NS-2 will
damage the CVT transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited
warranty.
(2)
CAUTION: Use only the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here. Do not mix
with other fluids. Using transmission fluid other than the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF
specified here or its equivalent may cause deterioration in drivability and automatic
transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not
covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty.
(3) Use Matic J if Matic S is not available.

2/2 NTB08-049a
Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM

kinda lost as 2 why you posted the fluid requirements? I have only used Nissan Matic K or equivalent like Royal Purple.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Hm Well for reall power i think manuel is the best. But But CVT does have its points. I love that is has no shifting pound. I love that it actually hold the rpm on 6500. Makes intake go nuts. But the problem it actully takes a little while to get that power like when u press the peddle it waits to the rpms go up then the car starts to pull other than tha i think cvt is a perfect car for the city and conftor driving. racing no.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM

well i drive a 6sp and also had a cvt rental and they are horrible my mother has an 04 murano and nothing but problems with the cvt also asked a nissan rep about this dispute becuz i was curious and even he say nissan made a mistake with this cvt bull**** as everyone else said swap it to a six or get your 5sp built up.. the 5sp auto can be built very strong if the shop nos what there doing and what parts to use seems like a pretty simple way to end this dispute lol goodluck everyone to those of u with CVT im sorry..
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6spBaDAsS6ThGeN
well i drive a 6sp and also had a cvt rental and they are horrible my mother has an 04 murano and nothing but problems with the cvt also asked a nissan rep about this dispute becuz i was curious and even he say nissan made a mistake with this cvt bull**** as everyone else said swap it to a six or get your 5sp built up.. the 5sp auto can be built very strong if the shop nos what there doing and what parts to use seems like a pretty simple way to end this dispute lol goodluck everyone to those of u with CVT im sorry..
i agree.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Can anyone verify that replacing the pump casting with a forging will lengthen the life of the CVT?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 PM

There is no "big problem" with Nissan CVT failures - no higher incidence than any other type of automatic transmission. Most people don't understand how they work, and think there is something wrong when they don't feel a shift, and the rpms stay pegged. It is against all we know about ATs. It took me MONTHS to get used to it. Sure driving a stick is fun - on an open road, but its a beating in traffic - especially in hilly traffic. Only time will tell how how reliable the 6.5 gen CVT is, but don't make "my mamma's murano" or "this dude I know" be the benchmark of all CVTs. They haven't been around long enough yet to make a sound judgement...
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

202 Miles & ............

I just purchased a 2008 SE with 8616 miles on it from the dealer on 2/14. The tranny went at 8818 on 2/25!!!!! WOW, I'm glad I got it from the dealer or I'd be F___ED!!! Oh well, new CVT. Now I can put it to the test. (I'm glad I didn't get rid of the 2000 SE yet!!!!!!)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey dude i was looking for this information on treads can u please quote your source so i can show my buddy it. thanks man
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 AM

on the thread..how many people have done the 6sp swap from a 5A?
Siince we're on the subject
im jus curious
Old 06-04-2009, 02:34 PM

40,000 miles on my 2007 and not a single problem with the CVT.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:22 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by STARR
po8pimp

it sucks cause when you have no problems it's the greatest car and when somethings wrong everything sucks and the company does not care

if it was my car, I would look into a trans shop to rebuild it and make it stronger, or get an extended warranty, wait a month and call it in
Just got a US FIDELIS warranty... you have to wait two months AND 1000 miles...

Just my .02
Old 06-04-2009, 06:00 PM

now that's funny
Old 06-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a cvt and it does take away form low end response, but it is nice and smooth. save your money for a a better mod is my opinion
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Might be some time later based on the replies but my 07 Max has around 56,000 miles and (know on wood) have not experienced any problems. In actuality im looking to replaced the CVT fluid at 60,000 miles. It is not necessary or good at all to do any flushes on any type of transmission
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 AM

the CVT is just as big as a POS as the 5at

my friend had his CVT gone out at 40k miles
Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 AM

so why does my 07 cvt have 77k miles on it and drives great? every car has issues. come cars break down at 30k some at 300k

maybe a few guys on here "beat" on the cars too much or try to add too much power

my work van is a 98 ford windstar with 160+k miles on it with the 3.8 motor runs awesome i tow cars and get 21mpg empty go figure bc i always thought that motor was junk
Old 01-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Very Interesting on this thread!

My bro was told me that he have 05 max have over 100K mile. (no replace no slippery, tranny is normal). Also he really hate CVT!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

Better Yet read this ...

http://forums.maxima.org/7912564-post1.html
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by shabnyc

Your post seems really ignorant. I do have over 50k on my 07. In fact, i'm at 109,xxx. My cvt has no issues and has never had any issues, and i drive the hell out of my car.

It seems like most people hating on cvts are the ones that don't have them. Hmmm...