6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

installing ksports

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

installing ksports (installed with questions now)

i know i could use the search function but i have a big exam tomorrow night that i will be needing to study for so im looking for answers fast. i plan on installing my ksports on saturday if every thing goes right. I was wondering if there is a how to on the installation or any advice in installing them for both front and rear. you can add pics if you want. i plan on having my laptop next to me while installing it for reference. thanks for all the info in advance.

Last edited by 6thGenSmoke; 11-25-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM

search takes less time than it did for your post.

Replace the Front Struts in a Maxima
Step1
Lift the front end of the Maxima with a floor jack and support it by the frame with jack stands. Use a tire iron to loosen the nuts mounting the front wheels and remove them. Set the wheels aside.
Step2
Slide under the Maxima and locate the struts. They're springs with mounting hardware on each end and through the middle. Find them directly behind the wheel hub, running from the frame to the steering knuckle, which controls the right and left movement of the wheel hub. Use a permanent marker to mark the strut orientation on the steering knuckle. Look for the brake hose running from the wheel hub and follow it back to the strut. Unbolt it and the anti-lock brake sensor.
Step3
Unbolt the bottom of the strut from the steering knuckle. Open the hood, and remove the nuts holding the strut to the frame over the wheel well. Pull out the strut. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 on the other side of the Maxima.
Step4
Compress the spring and remove the center lock nut. Lay out all pieces of the strut assembly in order so you can reassemble them later: bracket, bearing, upper spring seat, upper bushing, coil spring, piston boot and rebound bumper. All that remains is the strut. Replace it and any other parts showing wear and reassemble the strut assembly.

Step5
Set the dial on your torque wrench to 44 foot lb and tighten the center lock nut until you feel the wrench slip. Align the strut assembly with the marks you made on the steering knuckle and install the upper mounting nuts. Torque them to 32 foot lb. Insert the strut-to-knuckle bolt and torque it to 103 foot lb.

Step6
Reattach the antilock brake sensor to the strut, and torque the bolt to 13 foot lb. Connect the brake hose bracket to the strut and repeat Steps 4 through 6 on the other side of the Maxima.
Step7
Mount the front wheels and lower the front end of the car. Have a professional align the wheels.
Replace the Rear shocks in a Maxima
Step1
Raise the rear end of the Maxima and support it by the frame with jack stands. Remove the rear wheels with a tire iron and slide a jack stand under the lower control arm, which supports the bottom of the wheel hub.
Step2
Disconnect the nuts holding the strut to the frame above the wheel. From under the Maxima, unbolt the lower mounting bracket holding the strut to the lower control arm. Remove the strut from the undercarriage of the car and compress the spring.

Step3
Position the new strut assembly in the undercarriage of the Maxima and install the upper mounting nuts. Torque them to 18 foot lb. Insert the lower mounting bolt, and torque it to 80 foot lb. Slide the jack stand out from under the lower control arm, and repeat Steps 2 through 4 on the other side of the car.
Step4
Mount the rear wheels and lower the rear end of the Maxima. Have a professional align the wheels.

In red not needed due to coil overs being installed
Old 11-24-2008, 11:32 AM

well...i got it installed but i did notice that there was some oil or something like it on one of the fronts is that normal? it drives fine but just wanted to point that out. also how long should it take for the rears to settle in? i had the same gap as stock each time setting the height. it has gotten lower a little bit but would have thought it would be more.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM

another thing...in the rears, the spring around the strut is loose..i can move it around if i wanted to...it was like this for the front when it was first installed but im not sure if it is still or not. is this normal?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM

anyone with imput? i know there are others here with them on their car
Old 11-25-2008, 06:06 PM

i solved the problem but my car is really bouncy now. how do you guys set the stiffness and what is a good setting?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Well the cars bouncy cus your on coil overs. I had k-sports on for about 2 months and one of the shocks ended up blowing and k-sport refunded my money.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM
*moderator*

Yes, coilovers = bouncy. But it looks damn good, BTW where are the pics!!!

Also did you get RSB and FSTB, ad these and your car will be a go kart like mine, love it!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM

i have some but cant find the cord to transfer the pics...im still trying to figure out a good height and stiffness right now. im still scraping going over speed bumps so im working on it. i don't have the RSB or FSTB right now but may look into it in the future. whats the best way of setting the stiffness and what are you guys set at?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM

also J do your tires rub the fender well when you drive? i am experiencing this. my friend said that my car is as bumpy as my other friends 240 which i thought was weird cause i'd figure it would be not as bumpy.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have d2 coilovers but i have the dampening set at 24. you use the long allen tool that came with the coilovers to adjust dampening. on top of the coilover you'll see a fitting for the adjusting tool.

Last edited by mynameispee; 11-26-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM

what bout the spring in the rear do u remove that
Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mynameispee
i have d2 coilovers but i have the dampening set at 24. you use the long allen tool that came with the coilovers to adjust dampening. on top of the coilover you'll see a fitting for the adjusting tool.
how do you know what its at though since the ksports don't have any clicking sounds? i softened them up a little and it seems to help with the bounciness i don't want to turn it more than i should.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 06maxima
what bout the spring in the rear do u remove that
yea you remove that too cause if you dont it wont go any lower than the stock height. i didn't at first and my friend was telling me i had to cause it will never sit on to the spring attached to the ksports.