6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Catalytic Converter Failure P0420 =--> Header Upgrade Time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Apollos2: Thanks for the great write up on the CAT situation. My SES light came on a week and a half ago. I took it to the dealership, and they confirmed a PO/420 code. A couple of hours later they said they couldn't confirm anything, and so the SES code was cleared. It went on again 2 days ago, took it in, and PO/420 code again.

Prior to going there I read your thread so I had a little more information prior to arriving letting them know that I think it's bank one CAT. Sure enough, and this time they didn't argue, it was. They said that a line graph on the CAT pattern was the same for front and rear O2, but the technician went ahead and dropped the lower pipe to find bank one CAT damaged.

I was at 47,995 on this issue. Premature in my opinion as I have never dealt with a car with the low of mileage having any CAT issues.

Either case, thanks for the great write up...came in handy!

Jimbo

Originally Posted by Apollos2
As many of you may or may not know our cars are prone to Catalytic Converter Failure.
Our cars have three catalytic converters. One in the Y-Pipe, I've never heard of this one failing. Your can WILL pass emissions test with out it. (It may not pass a visual though, depending on how you may have eliminated it). I know a guy who bored his out even though I've heard we have very efficient cats in the Y-Pipe, it didn't make his car faster but he was still able to pass emissions. Visual and exhaust. Lesson: don't waste your time eliminating that cat.

We also have two catalytic converters at the back of the engine compartment. I believe they mount to the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. These are the ones that can fail. They can melt, restricting flow, and/or eventually start to break apart. If they start to break apart, the particals can potentially get sucked back into the engine: failure.

If one of the two pre-cats start to fail you should get a
Service Engine Soon light. You can always go to Autozone and they will pull the code for free.

Pre-cat failure codes:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I believe these pre-cats are covered under the emissions warranty which goes until 80,000miles. All of the failures I know about occured before 80k.

My Service Engine Soon light came on yesterday. I went to Autozone and pulled code: P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

I'm at 80,200 miles. I could go back and ask Nissan them to cover it under good will or something like that. Not sure if it would work to well. They already fixed my AC that way.

MSRP on the right cat = $757
MSRP on the left cat = $550

Headers = under $700

So I have opted to go the header route and not have to worry about it. I called Brian (Cattman) placed my order. 1 set headers, 1 cat to weld into my existing Cattman Y-pipe. ETA 4 weeks

I'm not to sure what I will do with the car until then. I hate to drive it around and risk jacking the engine.

Here are a couple of other threads on the topic:
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/v...hlight=clogged
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/v...hlight=clogged
Old 10-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your welcome......I agree 47k is really early but hey at least you got it replace on their dime. Did they say anything about Bank2? I guess just watch for more codes.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Apollo: No info on bank 2 - I guess I should have asked that. Car only has one year left on extended, but some time on the CAT/emission. I really don't mess with the SES...when it comes on, which has only been twice since I've owned the car, I take it to the dealership since it's under full warranty. They have been pretty good at stuff. They even noticed when checking my gas cap today that the little plastic strap was broken and replaced it - apparently not under warranty, then again, not more than a 2 dollar part in the normal world...

Jimbo

Your welcome......I agree 47k is really early but hey at least you got it replace on their dime. Did they say anything about Bank2? I guess just watch for more codes.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi everybody (this is my 1st post)
I have an 06 Maxima. The SES light came on at 36,045 (how ironic). Drove it till 38,400. The P0420 was the diagnosis. The dealership changed the catalytic converter for free (emission warranty). I am not happy to have that king of problem at that low mileage. Anyway, I see that Apollos2 recommended engine flush. Now on other parts of the forum posts are very cautious about that since the car has little miles and the flush kind of have a strong solvent . I have been smelling synthetic smell from the engine lately and at the last oil change the mechanic said that the oil was too dirty (and a bit burnt) and recommended an engine flush. Any thoughts on that? Your help is appreciated.
Al
Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Did I recommend an "engine flush"? Perhaps tranny fluid change but if your oil is dirty, you should get it changed.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The dealership changed the Catalytic converter free since it was under that type of warrant. I did an oil change afterwards (at 2k) and will do one more after another 2k. Oil seems to be ok.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:07 PM

Just had the Bank 1 Cat replaced by all places the dealership. They were cheaper than 3 other local places. The service advisor was very cool about setting up the appointment and told me the truth, yes the truth about the cost. That dang light is out and I hope it stays out- Code P420 and SES are the devil as Bobby Bouche would say.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

My car's trade in at kbb is $6500...its funny now seeing how crazy some of these parts cost that arent the most major things that can go. Ill fix my control arms but if I start havin a quasi car payment to keep her going shes getting the boot.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Dang $6500, that is pretty low. We need a Kelly Blue Book thread to see what our cars are worth.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM

Looks like the same problem for me...140K Kms 63 months warranty is 130k or 96 months asked dealer for good will with Nissan...I find out next week. In the mean time I need to find out what is best...in case I need to replace the Cat at my expense....thinking about Cattman or Racingline y-pipe and free flow cat...any ideas?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Update:

My car passed emissions with only one Catalytic converter in the Y-pipe. I got my notice in the mail that I only need to send the $$ for the tags. NO Emission test required. Apparently it's running clean enough to pass the road side/drive by tests we use here in Colorado.

I had several shops tell me it wouldn' pass

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM

Luck-e! lol

I'm still trying to deal with P1283/P1274. Got my rear o2 sensors extended behind the cat on the stock y-pipe for now, and those codes are gone.

I have until June to figure something out. Joy!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 AM

FYI - our cats ARE covered to 80,000 miles. Dealership isn't happy about having to replace mine (at 72,000 miles) but are doing it anyway. They trie to tell me that it wasn't covered, but thanks to this thread I had a little ammo to go in with.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 AM

Nice! Glad to hear it. I bet they didn't want to replace them because they tough to get to.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Oh, they were fine with replacing them at a $1,600 cost to me.....but when they found out that the parts/labor would be free that's when things got sticky. I'll make them replace these, then never go back to that dealership....
Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM

LOL $1,600 what clowns. They have to know they are covered, probably just hoping you didn't know it. The sad part is, you will have to do it again if you keep the car too long.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dummy76
FYI - our cats ARE covered to 80,000 miles. Dealership isn't happy about having to replace mine (at 72,000 miles) but are doing it anyway. They trie to tell me that it wasn't covered, but thanks to this thread I had a little ammo to go in with.
I bet that dealer is hating Maxima.org right about now. lol
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM

LOL $1,600 what clowns. They have to know they are covered, probably just hoping you didn't know it. The sad part is, you will have to do it again if you keep the car too long.
Yeah, eventually I'll have to replace the cats - but by then I either won't own the car, it will be a beater, or I will be modding the living **** out of it. I get bored with cars pretty fast - and I like to beef them up. I would have done more if I hadn't already replaced the 05 for an 08 front along with fixing the front end damage that I bought it with.

And agreed on the dealer hating maxima.org - thanks for the knowlege OP
Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all - I have a 2006 Maxima - Auto. I didn't realize that the "service engine soon" was actually the check engine indicator. I thought it was the idiot light for regular service. The light would come on for a few days to a week, then go out for several months. I think it started to happen after Nissan replaced the timing chain and guides. Thanks to this post, I've learned that it's the check engine and that Autozone will tell me the code for free. I have P0420 again now for 4 days. I anticipate it will go out in the next day or so and not come back on for a month. Also, I have pinging at low acceleration around 2,000 RPM. If I depress the accelerator just a little the pinging stops. It doesn't ping when I'm accelerating getting on the highway however, only at low RPM. Also in the AM, no pinging at all. It doesn't start pinging until subsequent starts during the day regardless of the temperature. Is this pinging associated with the P0420 code?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 PM

As soon as that light comes back on, take it in to the dealer. How many miles do you have on it?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for replying. I have 103,000 and it runs great except for pinging after it's been on for a while. I did go to a Nissan dealer about 4,000 miles ago for the pinging. They cut off a section of an exhaust bracket, cleaned the throttle body and some other things. The check engine had been on prior to that. When I took it in to the dealer, the check engine light was off. At the time, I thought that that service engine soon light was regular maintenance so I didn't mention it. They didn't find any codes however when they did the servicing for the pinging... which started back on the way home. If the check engine light isn't on, shouldn't it still leave a code behind?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 AM

No light = No codes. You probably have to wait until it comes back on. Autzone can pull them for you too for free. Check back in here with them someone might know what they mean.

At 103k you cats are no longer covered under warranty, if it is the cats you have some decisions to make.

Pinging? You mean like rattling right under the engine at low rpms? When I think of ping I thing of after I turn the car off you can sometimes here a ping.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not pinging like that. I guess maybe engine knock then. It sounds like to lean or rich a mixture type ping but I use 93. Kind of like muffled sound of bb's shooting around in a can but only on light acceleration and never in the AM. I'm on day 3 of a container of Techtron. Actually on the way home last night, and so far today, no pinging. BTW the light is on now and I did go to Autozone. It's code P0420 - CO2 sensor in bank 1. Something about something being under a certain threshold.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 PM

P0420 was the cat. You cannot ignore that too long. It can ruin your motor.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The light has now gone off again and will probably be off for a month or so. As I might have mentioned, this has been going on for maybe over a year. No performance issues except for this pinging after the car has been on for a while. I didn't realize that the "service engine soon" was actually the check engine. If the CAT was bad, wouldn't I have some performance issues and wouldn't the light stay on and leave a code behind even though the light is now off? I'm going to go to Autozone tomorrow and have them check with the OBD tool to see if it has left a code behind now that the light is off.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 AM

The cat doesn't necessarily fail on off like a light bulb or fuse. It can melt and break up bit by bit.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So just to be clear... I should still get the P0420 code now even with the service engine light not illumintaed since it was on for 4 days last week...yes? If the CAT was indeeed going bad, wouldn't the service engine stay on or at least deposit that code in the computer. Allot of forums suggest that if the service engine light stays on for a few days then clears after several trips it means that the gas cap isn't on correct or bad. I've replaced the gas cap already.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

By the way, this seems to have started happening after the timing chain was replaced about a year ago. The only other odd sound I hear is the chirp of the engine motor mounts. I went back to the dealership and they said that it's normal for them to make this sound. Apparently the're electronic. I'm wondering if they didn't get the exhaust back on correctly when they did the timing chain or a gasket is loose letting out exhaust gas before it get's into the cat. Someone on another site had the low acceleration pinging sound and it was something about a spring loaded gasket for the manifold. When the motor mount would stiffin, the leak would stop and visa versa.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Why shouldnt i bypass the cats....I know tht it wont pass inspection without them. i figured i would jus bore some cats out or buy some piping and make it look like a catt...and to close the deal run alcoholor hands on race fuel the day of inspection for the exhaust to be cleaner n pass without the Catts
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM

You won't pass emissions without any cats on the car. You can however pass it with one cat in the y-pipe.

I have headers (no pre-cats) here and I had one cat in the Y-pipe and it passed fine until that cat burned out. I failed emissions badly, I replaced that cat in the y pipe and passed emissions fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

No light = No codes. You probably have to wait until it comes back on. Autzone can pull them for you too for free. Check back in here with them someone might know what they mean.

At 103k you cats are no longer covered under warranty, if it is the cats you have some decisions to make.

Pinging? You mean like rattling right under the engine at low rpms? When I think of ping I thing of after I turn the car off you can sometimes here a ping.
A friend's 5.5 gen pings, engine knock-like sound at low rmp. What could possibly cause this. No codes yet.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 PM

That one I don't know about, I doubt it.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM

I got PO420 couple months ago and it goes off and on ever 3 weeks or so....should i worry? Is it hard to take off the catts to see if they have something?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Autozone can pull codes for free.

Fellas, our cats go bad in our cars, if they do, you want to get it fixed some how. Headers, new cats, gut them but you don't want to leave them in there.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 PM

I really don't want to steal anyones thread, but I am new to the forum and don't have 15 posts. Although I do have a genuine problem with something similar to what is in this thread.

A while back I started getting a noise from my engine. It is hard to explain but the best way to describe it is a high pitched whine that increases with intensity as the RPM increase. Then after that I started getting the P0420 code that has to do with catalytic conv'trs. Is is possible that the noise and code are related? I've read about converters going bad and causing engine problems. Just hope I haven't screwed anything up and wonder if there is any way to fix it. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Could be related to the cats, probably need to get them looked at.