6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lone Pine Time Trials - 2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lone Pine Time Trials - 2009

Its that time of year. Some of you know that I race my car in the Lone Pine Time Trials. People are amazed that a 6th Gen Maxima can do so well. Its pretty funny actually. I have gotten as high as 3rd TTD (top time of day) in a field of about 50 drivers. Not too shabby for a 4 door car, eh?

This year i want TTD. I am seeking suggestions to make my car faster. Dont tell me to get a turbo or S/C. Im looking for weight savings and any other easy to do things.

Tires - I have thought about getting Falken Azenis tires:
http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

I have seen some slightly used ones for about 75-100 bucks each on fleabay. These are 200 wear rated tires which is slightly above the minimum DOT. They are supposed to be very gummy.

BTW, lighter tires can make a big difference in speed. Wider tires are heavier but they have more grip. Its a tradeoff. Bigger isnt necessarily better in tires.

Suspension - Rather than buy expensive coilovers, Ill set mine to full stiff - KYB adjustable rears, and Koni adjustable fronts. Coilovers also save some weight. U know of anyone who has coilovers for cheap?

Weight savings
carbon fiber hood - heavier but vented for engine cooling - about 32lbs

OR

OEM hood - lighter by 16 lbs but no vents.

Battery - braille battery weighs about 11 pounds which is 17 pounds lighter than my already lighter-than-OEM battery. I have 28 pound battery now. OEM is about 48 pounds.

Seats - remove passenger recaro seat - 45 lbs
remove rear seats - unknown weight but Im guessing 30 pounds?? Possibly install superlight fixed back seat just for race and save another 20 pounds??

Exhaust - There are no sound restrictions. Remove rear section of exhaust system?? about 15 pounds?

Body kit - Remove all or part of Stillen body kit plus my rear carbon diffuser? Maybe keep just the front lip to keep air from flowing underneath? I do hit speeds of up to 110 mph+ and most of it is around 80mph. Weight savings - 20 -25 pounds???

Drain windshield washer (1 gallon??) 8 pound savings.

My harness bar is 11 lbs but I need it for harness and it stiffens the chassis quite a bit.

Of course spare tire, jack tools are removed already and I would remove the rear trunk matt (10 lbs) and floor mats (5 lbs?)

I will run 1/2 tank of 91 and 100 octane mix. Anything less might cause fuel starvation.

So far I calculate these savings over what I have right now
OEM hood - 16lbs
Battery - 17 lbs
Passenger seat - 45 lbs
Rear seats - 30 lbs
Lightweight driver seat - 20 lbs
Rear section of exhaust - 15 lbs
Body kit and diffuser - 25 lbs
Windshield washer - 8 lbs
Trunk and floor mats - 15 lbs

Total weight savings:

about 191 pounds. Any other reasonable thoughts?

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 05-08-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:49 AM
GrandPa

How many seconds do you think you can shave off with that weight loss? I wish you the best of luck in the event.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:53 AM

Get a midget to drive your car....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 AM

OEM hood - lighter by 16 lbs but no vents. Good call! With the way you mod your car, I'd just get some vents put into the oem hood by a bodyshop.

Also....is NOS illegal in that kind of racing? Even a small shot might be enough to shave some time off on a straight away (and really tax those brakes coming into the corners!)
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Hire a horse jockey to drive it!!!

Coilovers would shave on weight and improve handling and are adjustable in both height and stiffness.

Nitro in the tires is lighter than air. Less fluctuation when they heat up and cool down.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
How many seconds do you think you can shave off with that weight loss? I wish you the best of luck in the event.
Thanks and good question. There is a noticable difference in performance when a person is in the car, versus when there are no passengers. I can fairly easily shave off 200 lbs. The question is, how does that translate to time? The course is a starts out with a few tight turns and then heads down a looooong straightaway, down an airport runway, and then you slam on the brakes and enter a slalom, then a sweeping turn and then a really long high speed gate area of varying tightnesses, and the a sweeper at the end, a loooong straightaway, and then another slalom, then some tight turns, and then the finish. Just like saving weight, the time per turn probably isnt a lot, but when you add it up over about 130 seconds, I think it becomes quite significant. Weight savings translates to better braking, better handling, better acceleration. Without going into complex math, if I can get 5 mph faster on that back straighaway, I think that along is good for quite a bit of time.

The event will be the last weekend of the month so I have time to prep.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
OEM hood - lighter by 16 lbs but no vents. Good call! With the way you mod your car, I'd just get some vents put into the oem hood by a bodyshop.

Also....is NOS illegal in that kind of racing? Even a small shot might be enough to shave some time off on a straight away (and really tax those brakes coming into the corners!)
I thought about adding vents and then getting thin layer of carbon in the center of the hood for the "look".

Not sure about whether squeeze is legal but it makes me nervous. It would be nice down the straighaway for sure. Just not sure of the long term effect on the motor.

BTW, I found someone selling a carbon fiber braille battery, a B106c, which weighs SIX POUNDS!!! Selling it for $75.

Looking at possibly a Corbeau Forza seat which weighs 20 lbs for about $220. So for $300, I can save almost 50 pounds, with half of that hanging in the top front of the car (battery).

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 05-08-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
TAZ

I would say keep:
-body kit (may add some down force at the high speeds, a reasonable trade off for it's light weight)
-Diffuser ( if you think you made it right and it is functional then it will reduce drag at the higher speeds)
- the exhaust, you don't want to risk loosing velocity and power by being to open. Plus the weight is low to the ground, which is better for your COG, albeit an extremely minor variance

Loose:
-MOST washer fluid, keep a little just incase
-interior seats
-trunk contents
-battery
-cf hood-not so much because of it weight, but because of how high the weight is

and good luck
Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by VigilanteMax
Get a midget to drive your car....
I could have my daughter drive it. She weighs 80 pounds less than me, but then she would get the trophy, not me!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
......Not sure about whether squeeze is legal but it makes me nervous. It would be nice down the straighaway for sure. Just not sure of the long term effect on the motor....
Don't use it long term, just on your race days and practice. You do these time trials once a year, I doubt that would be enough to do damage.

Great on long straight aways and heading towards the finish line.
Also Kevin007 had commented how his Kinetix intake works better with his NO2 and stock is when he doesnt use it.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Don't forget you will have to add a little weight for the in-car camera- so we can experience the ride in HD.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Pull out the interior lining of the trunk, it's form fitted and held in place with plastic push pins or rivets, you can also remove the interior door panels, all except the drivers door, they weigh alot
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
Pull out the interior lining of the trunk, it's form fitted and held in place with plastic push pins or rivets, you can also remove the interior door panels, all except the drivers door, they weigh alot
I considered the door panels too but only if they are easy to get on and off and if they do in fact weigh a lot. If anyone knows the weight, it would be nice to know. If they are 5 pounds each, thats 20 pounds total. I will probably remove the rear deck with the rear speakers too. Five or ten pounds here and there add up as you can see.

I found some Falken Azenis RT615 size 255 40 18 for $300 plus tax including mount and balance. I want to find a lightweight seat that isnt too expensive. Im taking suggestions.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:20 PM

the guys i work with do circle track stuff rave about how awesome the falken azenis tires are. amazing grip and tread life. definitely get some. they also look mean just sitting still with the slick tread pattern
Old 05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
name came from hairdryer

Good luck this year Deus!

I would say the interior door panels are inbetween 5-10lbs each, rear bench is about 30, rear seatbacks about 5 each. I'll go weigh the seats for you.

What about the Truax mortorsport Chasis brace? It'll add weight, but should outweigh that in better cornering.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
name came from hairdryer

Just weighed the rear seats.
rear seat backs 45lbs
rear seat cushions 10lbs
Old 05-08-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaXXXpower
Just weighed the rear seats.
rear seat backs 45lbs
rear seat cushions 10lbs
Thanks MaXXX!! Thats almost double what I thought they would weigh. I dont have the Truax chassis brace, so thats not an issue.

I will probably pick up the carbon fiber Braille battery tomorrow. If i do, expect a write up on that.

Also, when I get the Azenis, Ill do a write up on those. I have heard nothing but raving reviews also on those tires but they just wear out fairly fast since they are not ur grandpa's all-season radial Sears tire, lol.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:33 PM
name came from hairdryer

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Thanks MaXXX!! Thats almost double what I thought they would weigh. I dont have the Truax chassis brace, so thats not an issue.

I will probably pick up the carbon fiber Braille battery tomorrow. If i do, expect a write up on that.

Also, when I get the Azenis, Ill do a write up on those. I have heard nothing but raving reviews also on those tires but they just wear out fairly fast since they are not ur grandpa's all-season radial Sears tire, lol.
Have you thought about the bracing though? Wouldn't that shave off some time, or is that more for "drifting"?
Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Well it would but I think I have enough bracing with the front strut brace and harness bar. Here is a vid from a couple years ago to refresh everyones memory:
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...t=DSCN0752.flv

And a pic:
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 PM
name came from hairdryer

Yeah love that pic.

You, know I thought I knew your max inside and out, inspiration for me, but I cant remember if you have a tuning module?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Go on a diet!

How about a spare OEM hood that you could cut up and install some vents?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Go on a diet!

How about a spare OEM hood that you could cut up and install some vents?
I am in pretty good shape now, but i could prolly squeeze off 10 pounds. I have my original hood. I could have vents installed but i have no idea where to have that done or what they should look like. Ideas?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaXXXpower
Yeah love that pic.

You, know I thought I knew your max inside and out, inspiration for me, but I cant remember if you have a tuning module?
I should get a UTEC but I have had Technosquare reflash my ECU and dyno tune
Old 05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
*moderator*

Hey Deus, is it the weekend after Memorial? Give me some details. I have been wanting to go for the last few years...
Old 05-08-2009, 09:39 PM

Last weekend of the month.

Here is a pdf formatted flyer of the event
http://members.quixnet.net/free2000/LonePineEntry09.pdf

Id recommend staying at the Dow Villa motel in "downtown" Lone Pine
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM

How about the CD changer...or anything else that can come out from the center console...its gotta be at least 5lbs
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
How about the CD changer...or anything else that can come out from the center console...its gotta be at least 5lbs
Ill prolly take out the arm rest if its not too much of a pain.

BTW, here is a thread on an easy way to put in vents in an aluminum hood:

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...ic=324009&st=0
Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 PM

Got my Azenis RT615 tires today. Also got my Braille B106c carbon fiber battery that weighs only SIX pounds!!!! Its a little bigger than a latern battery, lol. Ill prolly do a separate write up on it. Now hunting around for a really lightweight (13-20lb) cheap racing bucket seat. It will only be used for racing so I dont wanna drop a ton of green on it.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 AM

rule of thumb is about 100lbs knocks off .1 on the 1/4 mile. Again that's an estimate. There are calculators out there that people swear by that have you put info in and get estimated 1/4 mile times. I will see if I can find it. I say lower pressure to about 28-30lbs in the front and 35lbs in the rear. Lower the front to distribute a little more weight to the front for better traction. raise up the rear if lowering the front isn't an option. Also there is a company that makes energy suspension components that would help out a ton. Let me see if I can find the link and see if I can get the calculator too. Do you have a sparco racing seat or equivelant? I think you will be amazed on the weight differents plus the luxury of having a 4 point harness. Also short throw shifter if you don't have one. Ohh and don't put donuts on the front tires like some idiots with front wheel drive try to do. That should be done only with rear wheel drive and only if it's needed. Ohh take the mirrors off and install to monitors inside the car and two cameras where the mirrors should be
Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 AM

use this to convert lbs to kg = http://www.convertunits.com/from/lbs/to/kg and input it in the calculator provided to see what your best time could be here = http://www.torquecars.com/tools/quarter-mile-time.php looks like for every 100lbs off gets you .13 sec off of your 1/4 mile
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM

Thank po8pimp. U do know that this is much more than a 1/4 mile Im driving, right?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 PM

So what kind of cars will u be up against? Anything infiniti or 350Z?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Take out the speakers if that hasnt been mentioned...Those magnets are heavy
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
So what kind of cars will u be up against? Anything infiniti or 350Z?
Variety of cars. Lately, there have been about 50 cars total. There are a variety of old school Hondas, there is an newer M3, Corvettes, Evos, STi's, karts, RX7s, BMWs, 350Zs, Sentra SE-Rs. It was a 1992 Sentra SE-R, that was race prepared that beat me last time.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Anyone know how to get the bumper reinforcement bar off the car and much they weigh? This would be the heavy metal part of the bumper. Also, can I put the bumper cover back on if I remove this bar?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Anyone, anyone???
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 AM

I removed my rear diffuser. Ugh, it only weighs 6 pounds. Every little bit helps and it was easy. Its also weight on the end of the car
Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 AM

Deus; You're the $hit, bud. Kick a$$ and takes names for us! It really does my heart good to hear about your accomplishments.

With regard to improvements: I don't really have anything to add, other than I don't think you should remove the armrest (you need to remain a bit comfortable) and PLEASE don't be tempted to add the "squeeze". I'm sure NOS would up your performance level, but I agree that it probably isn't worth it with regard to the long term effects it could possibly have on your engine. PLUS, adding a NOS system would add weight to your car - and cheapen your victory, in my opinion. ANYONE can add NOS. Your car is a farking CHAMPION, just as it is. Show the world, baby!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChipperX
Deus; You're the $hit, bud. Kick a$$ and takes names for us! It really does my heart good to hear about your accomplishments.

With regard to improvements: I don't really have anything to add, other than I don't think you should remove the armrest (you need to remain a bit comfortable) and PLEASE don't be tempted to add the "squeeze". I'm sure NOS would up your performance level, but I agree that it probably isn't worth it with regard to the long term effects it could possibly have on your engine. PLUS, adding a NOS system would add weight to your car - and cheapen your victory, in my opinion. ANYONE can add NOS. Your car is a farking CHAMPION, just as it is. Show the world, baby!
Thank you for the kind words. I probably wont remove door panels or armrests due to the work involved and the fact that they never seem to go back together just right. Alhough the armrest wont provide much comfort in a race, it will help out on the 200 mile, 3 hour drive up to Lone Pine. This weekend, Ill do the hood swap which will net me 16 pounds I believe. ill re-weigh both hoods. I might remove both side skirts for another 10+ pounds. The bets weight reduction will clearly be the seats. Ill do that next Sunday. Still debating on the muffler and pipe which is about 15 lbs. Remember, there are no noise restrictions. If I could find some cheap coilovers or if someone would let me borrow theirs, thats probably another 30-40 pounds HINT HINT.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM

I took the cf hood and reweighed both hoods. The OEM hood is 21 pounds and the cf hood is 25 lbs. I thought the difference was more than that but its only 4 pounds. Ill put the oem hood on just cuz both are off now and its lighter and its easy to swap.

I found a fiberglass seat in my garage that weighs only 13 pounds. Ill get acover for that and fashion a bracket to mount it to the floor. That should save 30 pounds over my Recaro seat.

Quick Reply: Lone Pine Time Trials - 2009