6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Home made octane boost/fuel injection cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Home made octane boost/fuel injection cleaner

I have noticed my pinging a little bit when the car is under load. I had the ECU reflashed and I use 91 octane California-crappy-a$$ gasoline. I have been doing research regarding octane boost and the results are a bit inconclusive. I did conclude that store-bought octane boost is worthless. Its like snake oil basically and may even be detrimental to power.

I learned that there are basic chemicals that can be used which MAY increase both power and gas mileage. I read of one popular formula that is aq ratio of 2:1:1 of Acetone:Xylene:2 cycle oil and you put in 3 oz of the mixture per 10 gallons of gas.

The question is: should i make a homebrew to boost octane, or not do anything, or some other option I havent considered.

MODS: The reason this belongs here in the 6th Gen section and not fluids and lubricants is that I want to determine if homebrew octane boost is safe and appropriate as applied to 6th Gen Maximas in particular. If there is a question of moving to fluids and lubricants, pleease PM me so that I may be heard. Thanks!

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 06-27-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 PM

I definately wouldnt put home made octane boost or wutever in my car.
I used to put 87 in my car and it ran fine without pinging.

On a side note: u have almost 7,000 posts and been here since 04...doesnt that qualify u to be a mod?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
I definately wouldnt put home made octane boost or wutever in my car.
I used to put 87 in my car and it ran fine without pinging.

On a side note: u have almost 7,000 posts and been here since 04...doesnt that qualify u to be a mod?
Funny that u mention that. I noticed that I have a lot of posts. I dont know how to be a mod.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 AM

I am interested in the Octane boost. Let me know what you find.

I have bought a couple of Octane Boost from AutoZone and I thought it did improve my performance. Frankly, I don't know if that was just my imagination, but I felt like performance improved, but not gas mileage.

So, if you say they might even harm the car, hmm, I might stay away from that. Post it when you get this new Octane Booster figured out.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 AM

Be a home made MOD LOL

On the serious side though I would probably just go to your local racing fuel gas station (I know you have done this in the past) and perhaps you can buy 1 gal or 5gallons and keep it on hand. Then add 1/2 gal or so to a tank full.

I really don't know what ratios you should use 1gal/racing to 14gal premium etc. You've done this before to stop pinging, what have been your results with it?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 AM

I'm gonna guess that the pinging is comming from the reflashed ECU you could try and retard the timing a degree or two, which would result in a slight whp loss (3whp at 2*). I take it you can't get 93 octane where you live so you could use a 2:1 with 100 octane race gas to bring the octane up to 94 which would probably be better than adding chemicals. In my 02 I have the timing advanced and never have any ping or knock, but I can get 93octane here. As for your mix the Acetone Xylene would probably be ok but I'd be afraid of the long term effects acetone is pretty corosive and would probably do some damage to your fuel system, and the 2 cycle oil would most definatly clog up you're fuel filter so I'd stay away from that.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 AM

Here is a youtube vid of a comparison of store-bought octane boost that shows how it reduces power:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c&feature=fvw

Here is the formula of xylene-acetone-2 cycle oil:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2284256_own-octane-booster.html

I just want more evidence to show the benefits. But this is a start.

EDIT: Here is some interesting read. Check out the comments at the end:
http://neubranderinc.com/blog/2007/0...oline-concept/

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 06-28-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM

Lengthy discussion in this website:
http://www.brightgreen.us/lubedev/smartgas/additive.htm
Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM

If your not satisfied with the quality of your gasoline as you first stated in your post you might want to try Lucas fuel additive. Its a fuel stablizer. I use it with 93 octane on every fillup, Dont know about any added power but I get a decent milage and decent power.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM

I put in 3 oz of acetone in half a tank today and reset the ECU. I only notice a bit of pinging when the engine is cold and then it goes away. Idle is definitely smoother. I had been having problems with consistent rough idle, but that seems to be gone. I understand it takes some time for engine to get used to acetone. Hard to say if gas mileage is affected at this stage. So far so good.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM

I use Lucas fuel treatment and it reduces the diesel sound quite a bit and feels like it runs smoother. Haven't put it on a dyno to test a $4 bottle because that's just stupid. I use it because I like the fact that I can idle without sounding like a beefed up Jetta TDI.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM

By the way, the acetone cost me about $13 per gallon at Walmart. That will treat 21 full tanks of gas, assuming 6 oz are used in a full tank of gas which is 60 cents per full tank, a rather minimal investment. Again, Ill keep you all posted as I experiment with different amounts and possibly incorporate xylene as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
By the way, the acetone cost me about $13 per gallon at Walmart. That will treat 21 full tanks of gas, assuming 6 oz are used in a full tank of gas which is 60 cents per full tank, a rather minimal investment. Again, Ill keep you all posted as I experiment with different amounts and possibly incorporate xylene as well.
This is scarry. I am not one to believe things are not possible but I am also not one to experiemnt with things that go boom. Except when it comes to stereos. You should make your max acetone injected.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM

id try Zmax ive used it a few times works amazing ive never had pinging but ive definitely noticed a happier maxima. i believe they have 2 different treatments im not sure so dont scold me if im wrong but i think they have one for oil and one for gas
Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM

I did further research and came across this website where the guy was rather scientific about his use of acetone and then the acetone/xylene/oil blend:

http://www.zolkor.com/stuff/49milespergallon.htm

I added this to make tank at half full which is about 10 gallons. I dunno if Im as scientific as him but I can sure tell if the ping goes away.

I noticed that there wasnt much interest in this thread. Maybe because no one is getting pinging. But there can be significant benefit in terms of gas mileage, engine power, and engine efficiency (cooler running motor) if the mixture works as claimed. People dont hesitate too much in buying over-the-counter products with wild claims of "instant horsepower" and flames on the bottle and "barely street legal" and $hit. But they have been proven to be an actual detriment in at least one detailed experiment.

Ill keep you posted on this possible cheap remedy to better engine efficiency.

I am looking for places that sell these ingredients cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot. If anyone can let me know how much they see the prices on Xylene, Acetone and Synthetic 2 stroke oil, Id appreciate it. So far, I paid $15 a gallon for acetone, $18 a gallon for Xylene and about $8 for 16 ounces of 2 stroke oil.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:10 PM

I put gas in but didnt put acetone and immediately noticed the pinging had returned. I added the mixture as detailed in the post above this. I drove a short distance to mix the boost mixture and the gas in the gas tank and to clear the lines of unmixed gas. Then I pulled over and reset the ECU. Then I continued on my way and drove several miles, doing everything i could to induce pinging - short shift, lug the motor going up hill, open throttle suddenly, open throttle partially, etc. I could not get one single ping out of the motor.

More sites:
http://www.gasbuddy.com/Forum_MSG.as...age_no=1&FAV=N

http://www.wisebread.com/can-acetone...ur-gas-mileage

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 07-05-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 AM
.org extraordinaire

Dude, did you just come up with a Ping fuel mixture solution? I think its time you plug in the cipher and data log a tank of clean gas plus a tank of acetone'd gas.

Kamski
Old 07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did the pinging stop with just the acetone or did it require the mixture? My car pings and have tried different type of gas all 91 octane or better and no cure. I have had it at the dealer a number of times and they say they either don't hear it or when they do that it is normal.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Hella internets

Toluene you can get at like big paint stores for about 40ish bux for about 4-5 gallons...i cant member...do your research and read into it, here is a formula that you can modify to figure out what your octane level will be mixing race gas...OR toluene...just change the octane level with whatever your using 100 oc race gas or 114 oc toluene...

Toluene is 114 octane. So use this formula to figure what octane you get:

( Gallons_of_gas * Octane_of_gas ) + ( Gallons_of_toluene * 114 )
__________________________________________________ _
Total Gallons

This gives the octane of the mixture after you add toluene.

Acetone isnt something i would want to throw in my gas tank...and neither is toluene, however toluene IS used in alot of octane boosters...and as an additive in alot of race gas from what i have read in the past...

Try THAT or retard your timing...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Hella internets

http://www.elektro.com/audi/toluene/

Theres a good reference link that will answer alot of your questions on anything worth trying...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 AM

You can always just mix 100 Octane (unleaded) with your 91 I do this on track days. Here is a simple chart.

Based on this table you would need to add 3 gallons of 100 octane racing fuel with 10 gallons of 91 octane to achieve a 93.1 octane.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
You can always just mix 100 Octane (unleaded) with your 91 I do this on track days. Here is a simple chart.

Based on this table you would need to add 3 gallons of 100 octane racing fuel with 10 gallons of 91 octane to achieve a 93.1 octane.

Been there and done that. The problem is that for a 20 gallon tank, that would require 6 gallons of racing fuel which is $6 per gallon more than 91 gas. That is $36 extra per tank. The homebrew method is significantly cheaper.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 AM
GrandPa

You said you are using 91 octane gas. Doesn't Ca. have 93 octane gas? I wish you luck on your home brew.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM

We have 91 octane and a few gas stations have 100 octane at the insane price of $9 a gallon which led me to devise my own brew. Im still working on it, and I think Im narrowing it down. My thoughts are that I need a lot more Xylene and about the same acetone. Ill keep you posted from time to time.