6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 maxima oil change troubles...please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 PM

2004 maxima oil change troubles...please advise

I had my oil changed by a local oil change shop on July 30th and thought all was well and good. I drove off and thought that no issues were present. About 1 week later I started hearing noises from the engine bay that sounded like a vibration like a bumper panel rattling but only when the rpm was around 1500 - 2000. I troubleshot the rattles to see if I could secure them somehow and could not find it. Yesterday my service engine soon light came on after manually shifting my car which started to worry. That started to worry me a bit so I took the car by Autozone and had them run the scanner on it and it pulled a code from the camshaft position sensor which got me worrying. The timing belt and the tensioners were replaced a year ago so i believed they would be out of the question. I decided to get a second opinion today from the local Nissan dealer and on the way there the oil light came on?!?!??! I stopped and checked the oil and to my surprise it was nearly EMPTY?!?! I had to add almost 4 qrts of oil to fill her up! Now im freaking out?!?!? After adding the oil the main noise that was bothering me from the engine bay seamed to have stopped. I got the second opinion from the Nissan dealer and they told me that the timing control valve was bad and probably due to the oil being so low and trash being sucked into the engine from the pump. They tested the compression and checked for leaks and neither were issues. WHERE DID MY OIL GO?!?!?

now my questions.....

1. Do you think I should bring the estimate for repair and my receipt to the oil change place to get them to cover the bill?

2. Do I have a chance of getting them to cover this?

3. Has anyone been through this before?

more questions probably later.

thanks in advance

JG
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Please dont tell me it was those 10 min oil change or jiffy lube..

I suspect them NOT filling oil back into your car.

This was on the news a few years ago about jiffy lube. You cant trust them all because they hire idoits.

If you have the recepit for the oil change, I would bring it back to the manager and rasie hell.

What oil did you put back in there? at this point that ticking sound would happen when the oil is low, the timming chain isnt lube and cause the tensoir to tick.

I ran synthc blend and my ticking went away a year ago.
If it is indeed leaking , it would be leaking from ther REAR MAIN SEAL.

I doubt this is the case,

I seriously would rasie hell at the oil change place, and possiable finding yourself a realiable mechanic or might want to learn how to do oil changes since it isnt too hard.

Good luck tho,
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM

yeah, I have changed my oil many times but it is Texas Summer right now and I just didnt feel like it this time around so yeah, I brought it to a "Speedee Oil Change" chain and let them do it.

Big mistake apparently ....

I do still have the receipt and the quote from the nissan dealer. I am going there tomorrow to raise hell

the Nissan dealer found no leaks or cause for burning oil...either way its hard to believe that all that oil drained out in 3 weeks!?!?!

blah, never trust someone to do this again
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM

This is why I always do my own oil changes.. At least I know I'm doing it right and with the right oil.. It's like someone else taking your girl on a date.. On the other note.. Make sure you make a copy for your own records and go back to that place and make them pay for the bill.. I would double check internals and make sure running low on oil like that could cause major internal damage.. Especially cracks in the piston and cylinders due to low lubrication and hot friction..

Last edited by LucKie1nE; 08-21-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Jayson_Gold
yeah, I have changed my oil many times but it is Texas Summer right now and I just didnt feel like it this time around so yeah, I brought it to a "Speedee Oil Change" chain and let them do it.

Big mistake apparently ....

I do still have the receipt and the quote from the nissan dealer. I am going there tomorrow to raise hell

the Nissan dealer found no leaks or cause for burning oil...either way its hard to believe that all that oil drained out in 3 weeks!?!?!

blah, never trust someone to do this again
Make sure the Nissan dealership will give you a statement as to what they think caused the problem and bring that with you as well. Because most of these quicky oil change places will be quick to deny, deny, deny!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Make sure the Nissan dealership will give you a statement as to what they think caused the problem and bring that with you as well. Because most of these quicky oil change places will be quick to deny, deny, deny!!!

yessir! I am definitely getting that before heading up there!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:12 PM

And if the shop gives you the cold shoulder, tell them you will be calling their corporate office, and the BBB to file a complaint.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
And if the shop gives you the cold shoulder, tell them you will be calling their corporate office, and the BBB to file a complaint.

good point!

thanks everyone for the good firepower
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM

I Have used fast Oil change services but I don't let them put the cheap oil in my car I always use valvoline and the best oil filter they have and I always check my dip when I get home to make sure it's at the correct level and theres no leaking at the filter.

And if there was no leak then they didn't put the correct amount of oil in your whip always check the dip if your not doing the work
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM

I'm fortunate enough to have access to Military base auto hobby shops which have lifts and tools at the staggering cost of $1.50 per hour!!!

I do not trust fast lube places!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfidE7zpxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLKNdebB6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUJfNljvD8

Last edited by chernmax; 08-22-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM

I'm fortunate enough to have access to Military base auto hobby shops which have lifts and tools at the staggering cost of $1.50 per hour!!!

I do not trust fast lube places!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfidE7zpxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLKNdebB6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUJfNljvD8
Same here. $1.50??? Hawaii's rates are $4.50/hr. Max is easy to do oil changes on. Two jack stands and a jack. If you get the oil replaced by anyone other than you, check that it was done and done correctly. Pull out of stall and into parking place and pop the hood. check the oil. Not hard and much better than chancing driving without oil.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM

damn! I would LOVE to have access to lifts again!

update on the situation..

the mgr at the speedee location I went to told me that "the issue is with my car and we definitely out oil in there" and "not to take the dealerships word for it since they will say anything to make a buck"

LOL

I have the owners card and will be taking this higher
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Same here. $1.50??? Hawaii's rates are $4.50/hr. Max is easy to do oil changes on. Two jack stands and a jack. If you get the oil replaced by anyone other than you, check that it was done and done correctly. Pull out of stall and into parking place and pop the hood. check the oil. Not hard and much better than chancing driving without oil.
Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Southern Maryland is only $1.50 per hour for a bay with a lift!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:35 PM

That sux. just add oil and keep checking to ensure you are not burning oil. Oil burning is known in the VQ35DE. you can do a thread search for oil burning issues to read more about it. You could also do the oil blowbye test by taking a papertowel and with the engine off clean the tail pipes on the rim and at least an inch in. Then get another clean paper towel and have someone start the engine and slowly raise the rpm's to around 5k. check the papertowel and see if there is oil on it. if there is then you more than likely have worn rings and might concider a compression test.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Southern Maryland is only $1.50 per hour for a bay with a lift!
are you a navy pilot? I am a Navigation's Electronics Technician on submarines. They must not like us out here. Great place to do work though. One of the perks I deffinitly take advantage of.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM

are you a navy pilot? I am a Navigation's Electronics Technician on submarines. They must not like us out here. Great place to do work though. One of the perks I deffinitly take advantage of.
I'm a retire Combat Systems Officer (LDO LT), former Guided Missile Systems technician (AEGIS MK-41 VLS), (13 years enlisted GMMC/11 years Commission Officer CSO, EMO, STO), I declined LCDR and retired an now work for a private firm doing government work.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 PM

damn that's pretty impressive actually. getting picked up for LDO is not easy. Hopefully I will get that opportunity in my near future. Not sure what exactly is in store for me.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM

damn that's pretty impressive actually. getting picked up for LDO is not easy. Hopefully I will get that opportunity in my near future. Not sure what exactly is in store for me.
Pictures on the bottom of my Cardomain wedsite!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668322
Old 08-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Pictures on the bottom of my Cardomain wedsite!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/668322

Nice. You allmost got me in trouble with your cardomain background. I am at work opening it up with all these guys hovering around me asking who's that, what you lookin at.. lol
Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 PM

That sux. just add oil and keep checking to ensure you are not burning oil. Oil burning is known in the VQ35DE. you can do a thread search for oil burning issues to read more about it. You could also do the oil blowbye test by taking a papertowel and with the engine off clean the tail pipes on the rim and at least an inch in. Then get another clean paper towel and have someone start the engine and slowly raise the rpm's to around 5k. check the papertowel and see if there is oil on it. if there is then you more than likely have worn rings and might concider a compression test.
that would suck but according to the dealership service department, they ran a compression test and everything looked good. I just think these dunces forgot to put enough oil back in the car or tried to fill it up with the drain plug off?!

not sure really, but the dealer is already scheduled to fix the issues and I am going to try and get the oil lube place to reimburse for the bill
Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Good luck
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 PM

Good luck with your car. As much as it sucks I really doubt you will get anywhere with the oil change place. You would have to prove they did not put the proper amount of oil back in the car. How can you do that when at least a week went by? They will have high priced lawyers saying you must have drained it out or it leaked out by magic or something.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RandyZ
Good luck with your car. As much as it sucks I really doubt you will get anywhere with the oil change place. You would have to prove they did not put the proper amount of oil back in the car. How can you do that when at least a week went by? They will have high priced lawyers saying you must have drained it out or it leaked out by magic or something.
hahah yeah i know

I thought I would at least try :\

regardless, it is being repaired right now by the dealer after some price negotiations

they also said my passenger side axle is broken after a cracked boot so that is added to my to-do list. My brother and I are going to tackle that one on our own.

thanks for the kind wishes though
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Sounds to me it leaked out slowly over the week because if they forgot to put any oil in you would have never made it a week. The life of your engine has been severly shortened. Not sure what recourse you have with that crap place you went to but please never do it again. The 6th gen Max is a 10 min job to do the oil yourself. All you have to do is jack it up a little and pull the pax side wheel and it's right there.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Sounds to me it leaked out slowly over the week because if they forgot to put any oil in you would have never made it a week. The life of your engine has been severly shortened. Not sure what recourse you have with that crap place you went to but please never do it again. The 6th gen Max is a 10 min job to do the oil yourself. All you have to do is jack it up a little and pull the pax side wheel and it's right there.
yep, done it many times

but as said before it was hot as hell that day and did not feel like it

but in retrospect I am TOTALLY doing it from now on
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM

oh and btw, got her back from the dealer today and so far so good
Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

I took my old saturn into a big o tire for an oil change once, and instead of draining my oil they drained my transmission; then added another 4-5 quarts of oil on top of my old oil. What kind of moron do you have to be to not notice you're draining transmission fluid and not oil. My tranny dies on my way home, I check my level and its empty, check my oil and its dirty and all the way up the dipstick. I drain out 5 quarts of dirty oil to get it to a proper level and have it towed back to the store the next morning. The manager first tries to tell me they would never do something like that, than finally looks at the car after I made it obvious they did, then tries to argue with me that the oil levels are proper. I said yeah, cause I drained 5 quarts of dirty oil out and showed him pictures, than asked him to also notice the oil he was looking at was dirty. They eventually fix it, and offer me 2 free oil changes for my trouble! Lol, yeah, like I'm ever coming back
Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by bmckendr
I took my old saturn into a big o tire for an oil change once, and instead of draining my oil they drained my transmission; then added another 4-5 quarts of oil on top of my old oil. What kind of moron do you have to be to not notice you're draining transmission fluid and not oil. My tranny dies on my way home, I check my level and its empty, check my oil and its dirty and all the way up the dipstick. I drain out 5 quarts of dirty oil to get it to a proper level and have it towed back to the store the next morning. The manager first tries to tell me they would never do something like that, than finally looks at the car after I made it obvious they did, then tries to argue with me that the oil levels are proper. I said yeah, cause I drained 5 quarts of dirty oil out and showed him pictures, than asked him to also notice the oil he was looking at was dirty. They eventually fix it, and offer me 2 free oil changes for my trouble! Lol, yeah, like I'm ever coming back
Most people who work in those places doing oil changes are not certified mechanics. And some are obviously idiots who are trained to just do oil changes with 2 important parts missing from their training.

1. Not all vehicles are created equal!
2. When in doubt ask!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM

man sorry to hear that...i always do my own oil changes...like some of the guys on this thread already noted...you know exactly what is coming out and going in...and you are going to make damn well sure you will cross all the t's and dot all the i's......anyway...what kind of repairs did the dealer do?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't trust anybody with my oil change , for anything else i do bring the car to the dealer but for oil changes nobody does a better job than me .