6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How do I install HIDS on a 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

How do I install HIDS on a 2007?

I'm expecting my new HID kit in the mail very soon, and was wondering if there's some sort of write-up on the install? I haven't looked too hard, but it almost seems that in order to take out the headlights, the bumper is going to have to come off.. Is this true?

I have a 2007 SE Maxima

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 PM

Negative..no need to take the bumper off or loosen it just go from the wheel well take your front tires off and cover and you will have full access to your headlights to do what you have to do...goodluck on your install and have fun
Old 08-27-2009, 01:29 PM

i loosened 1 side of the bumper off at a time to get to my headlight, took me around 5 minutes to remove all the screws from one side, no need to lift the car and remove the wheel.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

I just received mine today and it's all jacked up. The plastic protective housing on one of the lamps is severely cracked. The bulb looks ok. It did its job. Talked to hidextra.com about getting a replacement if the bulb/unit is damaged. This is an ominous beginning on my installation process

As for the install, try here
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9957

http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8186

Last edited by Gollum67; 08-27-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by primeval
i loosened 1 side of the bumper off at a time to get to my headlight, took me around 5 minutes to remove all the screws from one side, no need to lift the car and remove the wheel.

So you had to loosen both sides of the bumper? Or take it off?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by rock_drummer
So you had to loosen both sides of the bumper? Or take it off?
i loosened 1 side off, took out the headlight, bolted that side back up, and loosened the other side. Makes it easier for 1 person to do it.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Nice! Thanks!! What tools will I need?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Nice! Thanks!! What tools will I need?
screw driver and a ratchet set
Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

When i did mine i did both the head lights and fog lights. I wanted plenty of room to work so i dropped the bumper. Took me 10 minutes to remove it the first time with only a Philip's screw driver. Took about the same amount of time to put it back on by myself.

The two links at the bottom of Gollum67's post will help allot if you choose to remove the bumper.

TIP: When drilling the hole in the back of the cap on the headlight to feed the wires that run to the ballast a 1inch spade bit makes the perfect size hole. Its perfectly round so there will not be any gaps between the grommet and cap for moisture to get in. I also put a lil silicone rtv between the grommet and cap for piece of mind that moisture was not gonna get in.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM

i recommend doing the e55 retrofit. Just did mine today and it is way better than just drop in kits. Spend a little more and youll get a better cut off and a wider spread
Old 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ryaliu
i recommend doing the e55 retrofit. Just did mine today and it is way better than just drop in kits. Spend a little more and youll get a better cut off and a wider spread
I have been doing some serious thinking about that. I'm content on how they look but lets say not happy with the light dispersement. I would like to do it myself but I'm a lil intimidated with the whole throw your lights in the oven deal.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Heres the link to the e55 retrofit write up. Props to sonikbewm.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...rofit-how.html

You can actually reuse your halogen pigtails for the xenons. I will post pics as soon as i readjust my headlights. Theres nothing that can go wrong if you follow the instructions on how to bake your headlights. This is the third time i baked my headlights. First time was to experiment on a spare the second was to black house and the third time was for my retrofit. I also done two sets for the RSX and havnt had a problem yet. Just follow the instructions and use the proper tools and youll be fine. shoot me a message if you ever decide to retrofit
Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM

I called my local shop and asked how much he'd charge and he said "If you can find out how long it will take I will give you a good deal on an hourly rate"

So about how long would you guys say the install will take?(for a shop)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:52 PM

@rock_drummer where did you get your hid kit from. PM me
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM

I called my local shop and asked how much he'd charge and he said "If you can find out how long it will take I will give you a good deal on an hourly rate"

The best quote I recieved was around $100. Contrary to popular belief dropping the bumper, install, drilling is a labor intensive process. The shop said it would take 1hr. and it did. Lifetime guarantee on the install. I read all the write ups and watch the vids a bazillion times and still I was not confident to do it myself. I just wished someone with experience would have helped me out These are the guys that did it, same peeps that did my whole suspension mod.

http://www.asaaracing.com/
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM

It took me about an hour to do the full install of HID fog and head lights. Including wiring up relays so they drew their power directly from the battery.

Most of the time was spent deciding where to place/mount the four ballasts. If i had to do it again, i could do it in about 35-40 minutes start to finish.

I had never taken body parts off of a car before and i didn't think it was difficult at all to remove the bumper.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by filipinowise09
@rock_drummer where did you get your hid kit from. PM me
pm sent

Originally Posted by Gollum67
The best quote I recieved was around $100. Contrary to popular belief dropping the bumper, install, drilling is a labor intensive process. The shop said it would take 1hr. and it did. Lifetime guarantee on the install. I read all the write ups and watch the vids a bazillion times and still I was not confident to do it myself. I just wished someone with experience would have helped me out These are the guys that did it, same peeps that did my whole suspension mod.

http://www.asaaracing.com/

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 AM

took me like 30-45 minutes on one side trying to figure out how to do it.. took me 15 mins on the other side... i feel you tho.. took me alot of guts to do it... dropping the bumper seemed like a big thing at first... but dropping it will give you alot of space to work on and as well as alot of space to figure out where to put your ballasts.. plus, dropping one side at a time might "sag" your bumper once you start bending it and try to get inside and around.. the spade bit for drilling might really help out alot (i never thought of using it till i was already done).. i just used a dremel to widen the hole and just used a rubber sealant to make sure moisture wont get in the housing... good luck...