6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

for those with aftermarket headers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 PM

for those with aftermarket headers..

Just curious, did you lose low end torque after the install?? How long does it take for our cars ecu to re-learn? Reason I ask is it definately feels like I lost a lot of low end torque. I had the headers installed today. Reset the ecu and drove about 50 miles so far. High end definately pulls harder and much quicker. Before the headers I used to be able to peel out first and sec. gear in my auto. Now it won't even chirp the tires in first gear until the car hits 4k. Just doesnt feel right. I do have a check engine light and my rear o2's are not hooked up yet. I'm hoping the ecu will eventually compensate for the extra air flow. Also no exhaust leaks what so ever.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM

Another header thread.

Anyway, to answer your question, no. If anything, in all honesty, I felt a bit more torque in my low-end when I installed my headers. A lot more high end, too. Of course, I also put new plugs in as well, so that may have been part of it...

As far as the check engine light, try driving for a while. Mine went off today. No reason or rhyme to it. I've had the headers on for about four days, threw a light upon start-up, and all of a sudden it's just gone. For your secondaries, have you considered getting an O2 sim versus extending them...? You may still throw a light if the secondaries don't have a cat to monitor.

Did you notice any change in your gas mileage? Mine sucks now. But I think I may have botched up one of my primary sensors during the install...or my foot's just gotten heavier because of the louder engine.

Edit: Btw, I know I drive a 5.5 versus a 6th gen, but I figured I'd chime in, having just had them installed. I don't see how the gains and install would be too horribly different between half a generation...

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 01-29-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Another header thread.

Anyway, to answer your question, no. If anything, in all honesty, I felt a bit more torque in my low-end when I installed my headers. A lot more high end, too. Of course, I also put new plugs in as well, so that may have been part of it...

As far as the check engine light, try driving for a while. Mine went off today. No reason or rhyme to it. I've had the headers on for about four days, threw a light upon start-up, and all of a sudden it's just gone. For your secondaries, have you considered getting an O2 sim versus extending them...? You may still throw a light if the secondaries don't have a cat to monitor.

Did you notice any change in your gas mileage? Mine sucks now. But I think I may have botched up one of my primary sensors during the install...or my foot's just gotten heavier because of the louder engine.

Edit: Btw, I know I drive a 5.5 versus a 6th gen, but I figured I'd chime in, having just had them installed. I don't see how the gains and install would be too horribly different between half a generation...

No problem at all. Any advice helps so thank you for chiming in. Did you feel the power increase right away?? I was going to go the sim route, still unsure as to what im going to do. I'll wait a couple days and see if the power comes back.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 AM

You may want to check out the JET MAF SENSOR. I have a 6.5 gen & i bought that sensor & installed it. After resetting the ECU with the MAF installed.. the low end was increased big time. There's no lag when you pull off or anything. It just gets up n GO!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM

^ what he said.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Maybe get a hand held programmer and set everything or custom tune. No point in replacing all those and not get a tune at the end. You got to remember that your car breathes different now. That's why Im waiting until next year, so I can do all my intake and exhaust at the same time.

Kinetix intake manifold
Nismo CAI
Jet Maf Sensor
Cattman Headers and Y-Pipe
Custom CB
Magnaflow resonator
2.5" mandrel bend piping.
Bully Dog Performance module chip

Last edited by RAZ76; 01-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
Another header thread.

The ECU will reset itself after a couple of days and the light will go away however the code may still be there...and the SES will eventually light up again....you'll see.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 PM

Check engine light will stay on because my rear o2's are not plugged in. I had the codes pulled and its showing for bank 1 and 2 rear o2's. Everything else is fine. I just had a resonator put in today to quiet things down a bit. It helped tremendously with the rasp I had. Got a lot of low end torque back and high end still pulls hard. I have a high flow cat on the way after that gets installed I will have my rear o2's plugged in and go from there. Changing my plugs out in 2 weeks to some iridium plugs 1 step colder. Thanks again guys for all your help.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM

I went with Iridium spark plugs after I installed my NWP spacer and via plate....If you''re going to open it up to change the plugs, I recommend the spacers!
BTW - My sparks are awesome...I get no lag when I thump it.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I went with Iridium spark plugs after I installed my NWP spacer and via plate....If you''re going to open it up to change the plugs, I recommend the spacers!
BTW - My sparks are awesome...I get no lag when I thump it.
Do you have the exact part number or heat range for the plugs you used?? Thanks Xorbitman.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM

I'll dig it up...it's been a while. I bought them off a friend who is a Nissan Performance Disti here locally.

I never could have imagined that the combo of 94 Octane and these Iridium plugs could be so awesome.