6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Does tranny cooler kit really help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by MikAus
I have a 2004 SL 5at and was about to install a B&M external cooler, as in post # 18.

But as stated in the above posts, it is coolant that passes through the stock ATF cooler.

The path of the coolant that passes through the ATF cooler, is going to be re-directed and thus extended.

Not only is the cooling system capacity increased, but by increasing the path, I believe the water pump has to work harder to pump the coolant further.

It is an excellent idea, but I just cannot risk my water pump blowing or my heater core.

I have 125K on my stock 04 max and am not mechanically inclined to change out the water pump.

Should anything go wrong I know the dealer will want to do the chains and tensioners TSB.

I would not hesitate If I had the traditional set up of ATF flowing through a tank at the bottom of the radiator, but I don’t.

If you guys have any success stories of this setup working on a stock Maxima, please share your thoughts.

Sorry to sound negative but this is just my personal opinion.
Take note that the thread was started by a member who clearly stated he intends to spray and I'm boosted which means my tranny runs hotter and tranny coolers are a proven help. It's my opinion also that for normal street driving a tranny cooler is not needed unless someone drives their stock Max like a race car in lots of stop and go traffic, a true killer of trannies.

Last, in a closed loop system my cooler upgrade added less than 1/4 of a normal size container of radiator fluid. Not large by any volume for a stock water pump to handle.

In closing didn't sound negative, all constructive input should be welcomed on a forum and take into consideration all concerns...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 PM

yea chern is right not really that much of a strain on the water pump at all. If you are at 125k miles then you are probably near the end of life on the pump anyway. If you haven't done it yet a radiator flush is probably a good idea. I am going to do mine when I install the cooler next week.

Thanx chern on the part number. I think I will be getting the same one or very similar.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 PM

The main reason why I wanted to add an external cooler, is that everyone knows that the stock cooler does not sufficiently cool the transmission.

The transmission overheating on any car is not good period.

I’ve previously had an 86 Maxima and a 95 Maxima, and the transmission fluid had always been a light or dark pink color, and would forever stay that color.

On our 6th Gen Maximas, how long does the tranny fluid stay pink?

Not long !!! Maybe, 10k miles if that.

Go out to your car and pull the dip stick, the majority will be a yucky grey color.

Tranny fluid changing to a dark grey color, is proof that the transmission is overheating.

Although Chern’s opinion is that stock maximas do not need an external tranny cooler (I don’t drive my car hard), I’m still kind of indecisive because it can only help.

Po8pimp don’t know about water pumps going out around 130k( ie don’t see many posts about water pumps period). A good thing, (touch wood).

I’m kind of taking a wait and see approach on this and the RE5F22A trans fix.

Thanks for the valuable info!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:19 AM

So if my engine is like the once in post # 18 I'm golden? I wanted to install a tranny cooler a while back but since my car is a 2006 SE 5AT w/TC the post I read was that 05-06 had "heatsink" so I was unable to install it so I never look under the hood since i didn't know what I was looking for. But since Im going to install headers, Kinetix IM, has well as other goodies I came across this thread so I decided to look and it looks exactly like post 18. I know I need one since I ride my car like my women, hard and rough. lol A true killer of trannies like chern said....

Last edited by Mu33rto; 04-20-2010 at 10:24 AM.