6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Annoying noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Annoying noise

In my 05 6th gen, everytime i start the car when the engine is cold i get this annoying ticking noise from the engine which eventually goes away once the temp goes up or i start driving. I would like to know what i need to do to get rid of that noise, i just bothers the hell outta me. Nees help
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Sounds like timing chain....it will eventually get worse
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much do people normally charge to change the timing chain and a tune up?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got this car and i guess this is reg maintance, the car has 101k right now so i guess its time
Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Check your oil level as well. My engine would do that when my oil wasn't full.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:07 PM

I've had the same problem and it go worse, now the ticking noise is always there even when warmed up. I've taken it to 3 different mechanics and they all say it's normal for this car and to stop worrying about it. So I did, it's whatev gunna get a new car in 2 years
Old 07-10-2012, 02:30 PM

It is pretty normal to hear a ticking noise during startup. If there is no driveability issues I wouldn't worry about it. Its cost around 1000 to 1500 to fix a timing chain. You could try using a thicker oil like 10W40 to reduce the noise.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:42 PM

I am in washington and use 20w50 VR1 motor oil from Mobile1 to alleviate a lot of the engine noise. Car runs so much better too. During the cold times under 55 degrees, I will go back down to 15w50. Been running on that for about a year now and makes a world of difference. I also change my oil every 3k miles as well. I recommend following bullet187's advice and trying a thicker oil and check your oil frequently as this engine burns oil religiously.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thx guys, i think im gonna do that. Have u guys tried Luca's oil?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM

I was having those same issues. They went away but now I have difficulty starting a good percent of the time...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thicker oil worked for the noises from the engine
Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JujuSL
I was having those same issues. They went away but now I have difficulty starting a good percent of the time...
Did you change the viscosity of your oil? if it is too thick, it can cause this. Also if you have the original battery installed still, then you are very suseptible to this issue. I recommend to everyone to get rid of that stock battery.

Originally Posted by khg186
Thicker oil worked for the noises from the engine
Good to hear, cheap solutions are always the best.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Did you change the viscosity of your oil? if it is too thick, it can cause this. Also if you have the original battery installed still, then you are very suseptible to this issue. I recommend to everyone to get rid of that stock battery.

Good to hear, cheap solutions are always the best.

are you talking about the noises or the start up? I got noises about a thousand miles after i switched to synthetic. I was getting ready to bump it up to a thicker oil and a bottle of lucas stabilizer is sitting on my desk waiting for its day.

this engine rattle/ticking/noise is a first for me so would you mind clarifying. Thicker=less noise?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 AM

I am talking about start ups. I have been using 15w50 and 20w50 for some time now, full syn with no issues. I do notice that start ups are not as easy as they are with 5w30 in. But in my opinion, it is way better to deal with the extra second of starting vice the noise of an engine and the thought of over heating due to oil not coating as well as it should.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
are you talking about the noises or the start up? I got noises about a thousand miles after i switched to synthetic. I was getting ready to bump it up to a thicker oil and a bottle of lucas stabilizer is sitting on my desk waiting for its day.

this engine rattle/ticking/noise is a first for me so would you mind clarifying. Thicker=less noise?

I put some Lucus in the other day. After a few day seems to have quieted mine down.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Lucus is pure petroleum, it is almost like renewing your engine oil by adding thickness. I prevent having to do this by just starting out with 15w50 or 20w50. Runs smooth and is pretty quiet. Lucus works the same as engine honey and mystery oil and CD2 or any other additive used to quiet down engine noise.

If you look at any foreign car like mercedes, porche, bmw, etc. They require a higher viscosity oil to be used. This is because they are higher compression engines that produce a lot of heat and need an oil that doesn't break down as fast. Nissan does not want to adapt to this concept and are requiring you to use "Special" oil for the newer Maxima which costs almost $100 to get changed out.

Last edited by po8pimp; 07-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM

I don't understand why they would use 5/30 oil when a 15w50 and 20w50 would provide more protection to the motor? and quiet the motor down as you guys siad I know my M35 has some ticking as well but I'm not sure if this would alter my warrenty? if I go with a thicker oil I may just try it when I do my next change

Last edited by Lovemycar; 07-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM

Old 07-15-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
I don't understand why they would use 5/30 oil when a 15w50 and 20w50 would provide more protection to the motor? and quiet the motor down as you guys siad I know my M35 has some ticking as well but I'm not sure if this would alter my warrenty? if I go with a thicker oil I may just try it when I do my next change
try using lucus additive and see if that quiets it down. If it does might want to consider changing to a thicker oil. I would go gradually until you feel like you are at a happy medium. I went from 5w30 to 5w40 to 10w30 and so on until I found what worked best for me. I also noticed I don't burn any more oil like I used to. I used to burn about a quart every 3k miles and the oil was extremely black when I would change it. Now oil is dark but not black when I change it and no burning or ticking. What works for me might not work for others. I recommend taking it in steps not strides.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
I don't understand why they would use 5/30 oil when a 15w50 and 20w50 would provide more protection to the motor? and quiet the motor down as you guys said I know my M35 has some ticking as well but I'm not sure if this would alter my warranty? if I go with a thicker oil I may just try it when I do my next change
There is a pretty good reason for that. Thicker does not equal better. If an oil is too thin it won't stay together long enough to reach the top of your engine. If the oil is too thick it can't enter the tiny spaces it needs to in order to keep the engine lubricated. 80% of engine wear happens during start-up, so having the correct viscosity is important. Improper oil distribution is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to potential problems. If you add in a oil that has too high a viscosity (weight) you will cause too much pressure in your system and damage will ensue. It may not be immediate, but after you put another 50 thousand miles on your engine using improper oil you will start to see the damage. Many people don't understand you can't just choose whatever oil you think is good.

Things that can happen if you add oil with too high a weight:

-Too much pressure
-Blow seals
-Prevents even distribution of oil
-Dry starts
-Increases wear and tear in your engine
-Hard start up
-Burning out your starter
-Burning out your oil pump
-Drastic decrease in fuel economy
-Much more..

Cars are built for a specific weight in oil like a puzzle piece, while a heavy weight will be good for one car it could be very bad for the next. I see people talking about using heavier oil because they live in cold weather, however, they are causing more harm than good. You would be smart to follow the recommendations.

Our 6th gen maximas are meant to have 5W30-10W30, the reason there is a range is for people who live in very hot or very cold weather. This range adequately adjusts for temperature. Going overboard because you think more is better, is actually counterproductive. People who put heavier weight in their maximas are being foolishly ignorant. If you are one of them, stop being an idiot and look it up. There is a reason why adding the wrong oil WILL void the warranty on your vehicle.

As for the noise problem, it is very very common in our cars. Switching to 10W-30 and adding an oil stabilizer will improve the noise problem without risking the problems caused by too high a weight. This fixed the noise problems in my car in one day.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6045767_choose-oil-car.html

Notice how every web site that instruct owners on what oil to feed your car states to NEVER deviate from the manufacturers recommendations. If you do, you are failboating all over your car...

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
There is a pretty good reason for that. Thicker does not equal better. If an oil is too thin it won't stay together long enough to reach the top of your engine. If the oil is too thick it can't enter the tiny spaces it needs to in order to keep the engine lubricated. 80% of engine wear happens during start-up, so having the correct viscosity is important. Improper oil distribution is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to potential problems. If you add in a oil that has too high a viscosity (weight) you will cause too much pressure in your system and damage will ensue. It may not be immediate, but after you put another 50 thousand miles on your engine using improper oil you will start to see the damage. Many people don't understand you can't just choose whatever oil you think is good.

Things that can happen if you add oil with too high a weight:

-Too much pressure
-Blow seals
-Prevents even distribution of oil
-Dry starts
-Increases wear and tear in your engine
-Hard start up
-Burning out your starter
-Burning out your oil pump
-Drastic decrease in fuel economy
-Much more..

Cars are built for a specific weight in oil like a puzzle piece, while a heavy weight will be good for one car it could be very bad for the next. I see people talking about using heavier oil because they live in cold weather, however, they are causing more harm than good. You would be smart to follow the recommendations.

Our 6th gen maximas are meant to have 5W30-10W30, the reason there is a range is for people who live in very hot or very cold weather. This range adequately adjusts for temperature. Going overboard because you think more is better, is actually counterproductive. People who put heavier weight in their maximas are being foolishly ignorant. If you are one of them, stop being an idiot and look it up. There is a reason why adding the wrong oil WILL void the warranty on your vehicle.

As for the noise problem, it is very very common in our cars. Switching to 10W-30 and adding an oil stabilizer will improve the noise problem without risking the problems caused by too high a weight. This fixed the noise problems in my car in one day.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6045767_choose-oil-car.html

Notice how every web site that instruct owners on what oil to feed your car states to NEVER deviate from the manufacturers recommendations. If you do, you are failboating all over your car...
i found this pretty helpfull... will try now