6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What would you do ? After-purchase maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What would you do ? After-purchase maintenance.

Ok, so I am getting that 05 SL Max next week. Thank you all for your input in my other thread, helping me to identify the car model/trim. This forum is priceless !

As I promised, some more questions :-).

The car was bought by my friend a year ago, and haven't been used since (slight accident damage to front end). Other than that, she is in very good shape and well kept, NO MAINTENANCE RECORDS, THOUGH. Previous (first) owner unreachable. I am planning on doing some initial "tune-up", so I can start my own schedule. As the budget turned out to be tighter than expected (nothing new, huh ?), I have to limit myself to most important stuff only - for now. And here I need your wisdom again. Car has 75k miles. I realize that all of the below should probably be done, but I have to choose:-(. Please advise me based on your experience.

1. Main concern - engine oil. Want to change it right away. Of course I don't know what is it filled with now. should I go synthetic, regardless of what is in now ?

2. What viscosity ? I understand 5w30 is recommended, but maybe something a bit "thicker" for 75k'er ?

3. Transmission - drain&fill ?

4. Fuel filters ?

5. Cooling system - new coolant ?

6. Ignition system - spark plugs ?

7. How are the shocks in 6th gen after 75-80k miles ?

Also, If you could recommend any DIY mods "for starters" - I would be grateful. I am fairly advanced mechanic with access to well-equipped workshop and no fear of digging deep :-)

Thank you

Konrad
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 AM

1 and 2 5w30 is fine....i run 5w30, high mileage, in my integra..dude said he rebuilt the engine, i dotn believe it..but it's fine to run 5w30 unless you see it burning oil..w/ that said i wouldnt go no heavier than 10w40..

3 trans, yes....

5 flush and replace coolant

6 replace spark plugs

7 coilovers

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by gradus

1. Main concern - engine oil. Want to change it right away. Of course I don't know what is it filled with now. should I go synthetic, regardless of what is in now ?

Change it, go synthetic. It is ok to go synthetic, just don't mix and try to keep one type. Get an oil flush solution. I recommend using Seafoam. Chernmax has a really good DIY video on youtube.

2. What viscosity ? I understand 5w30 is recommended, but maybe something a bit "thicker" for 75k'er ?

I use 20w50 for summer and 15w50 for winter. I also burn about a quart of oil every 3k miles when using 5w30. If you use 5w30, and don't experience oil burning, then I recommend staying with that.

Drain and fill, don't get it flushed. I have had bad experiences with flushing. You will be much happier. I recommend drain and measure. Then fill amount that came out. run 15 minutes, cycling through all the gears. Then repeat. Do it 3 total times. You will have filled about 12-14 quarts by then. This is not a cheap thing to do. Trans oil is expensive for this car. Use Nissan's trans fluid as well.

4. Fuel filters ?

The fuel filter is built into the fuel pump. Don't mess with unless absolutely necessary.

Check when engine has been sitting for a while and see if there is anything other than the coolant present. If there is then flush it and replace. Make sure you are on a slight hill when you do this to prevent air bubbles. there are several threads on here that explain how to properly do this and prevent getting air into the system. Any questions just ask.
I would also use an additive to keep it even cooler. There are several out there. I use hyperlube which claims 15-20 degrees cooler. Royal purple has one as well.

Spark plugs are no easy task. Give yourself at least 4 hours to do. Make sure you get good plugs. I recommend Denso Iridiums. Last long and are designed for performance. Coil packs should be fine. Make sure you are firing all cylinders prior to changing so that when you change them and fire back up you know if it was the plug or the pack. Expensive replacements if you are wrong. Each pack is about $90. There are some pretty good directions online for how to do this. Remember to remove the wiper blades and the parcel that they sit on. This will allow for easier access the the back part of the intake plenum.

If they don't squeak or sag, then save your money and get coilovers when you want or when needed.

Also, If you could recommend any DIY mods "for starters" - I would be grateful. I am fairly advanced mechanic with access to well-equipped workshop and no fear of digging deep :-)

Cold air intake. They are easy and worth the time and money. Also a Front strut tower brace. Best thing I have purchased for my car. Gets rid of the pull to the right when pressing the pedal to the floor.

Thank you

Konrad
Hope this helps
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM

Change all the fluids, it is that simple. Belts too. If it's automatic, use Nissan K-matic fluid only if you don't want trouble with transmission later.
If you are doing your spark plugs, may want to change valve cover gaskets at the same time since plenum is already off. Plugs can wait though, you can drive on original plugs until you reach a 100K if not more. Change O2 sensor that is between firewall and rear bank while you are there. If that sensor fails, the only way to access it by removing plenum again, as far as I remember.
If you want to change rear shocks, stay away from KYB's, they clunk when going over bump. If changing front struts and bearings, stay away from KYB strut bearings, they will squeak in a month.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by gradus
Ok, so I am getting that 05 SL Max next week. Thank you all for your input in my other thread, helping me to identify the car model/trim. This forum is priceless !

As I promised, some more questions :-).

The car was bought by my friend a year ago, and haven't been used since (slight accident damage to front end). Other than that, she is in very good shape and well kept, NO MAINTENANCE RECORDS, THOUGH. Previous (first) owner unreachable. I am planning on doing some initial "tune-up", so I can start my own schedule. As the budget turned out to be tighter than expected (nothing new, huh ?), I have to limit myself to most important stuff only - for now. And here I need your wisdom again. Car has 75k miles. I realize that all of the below should probably be done, but I have to choose:-(. Please advise me based on your experience.

4. Fuel filters ?

Thank you

Konrad
When you bought your car, did you get the owner's/maintenance manual? If you did, read what needs to be done at what mileage intervals, and do it. If you have these many questions regarding what to do, it would be a good start. Being a fairly advanced mechanic as you say, you should know this.

Enjoy your Maxima.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
When you bought your car, did you get the owner's/maintenance manual? If you did, read what needs to be done at what mileage intervals, and do it. If you have these many questions regarding what to do, it would be a good start. Being a fairly advanced mechanic as you say, you should know this.

Enjoy your Maxima.
Well, I know my way around cars in general. My question was more Maxima-specific, expecting to get some experience based answers here, rather than manual data (e.g. manual recommends doing this and that after xxx miles, but real life shows it should be done at xx miles). Does user manual recommend A/T's valve body or timing chain tensioner's shoes replacement ? ;-)

Thank you all for your answers !
Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Even as an experienced mechanic, I highly recommend getting the Service manual in pdf for your car. This can become extremely useful when doing any repair. Every car is different and even more so as the years go on. This car is pretty easy to do repairs on, however some places are extremely tight. Good luck and we are always here to assist.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

But of course, obtained FSM three weeks before I got the car :-) . I just want to gather as much info as possible, based on book knowledge as well as on everyday use experience. This forum is priceless !