6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Horrible vibration/humm. Puzzled!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Horrible vibration/humm. Puzzled!!!!!!

Hello gents. New to the site and already impressed with the amount of usefull info in here. I just purchased an 06 Maxima SE with 103k. I test drove the car and there was a Humm/Roaring sound with a vibration felt in the car. Not too bad but only went about 2 miles max speed 45. This Humm/roar starts at about 30 mph and gets worse as the speed increases and does not stop or get better at any speeds. The fastest I took it was 80. Got home, jacked up each tire and turned it by hand thinking it was a bad wheel bearing. No luck. No findings. Jacked up the front end one side at a time, put parking break on and turned TCS off, put the car in drive and let the wheel spinn freely..No noise/vibration at all from either side. Only got to 25 mph though and didnt have the guts to go any higher. Checked tie rods ad they seem to be in good shape. Tires are almost new and are NOT Goodyears....
Has anyone seen/had the same issue that i am describing? I am at a loss. Aside from taking itto get the tires balanced, rotated, and alligned this weekend, is there anything else that I should be checking? Most likeley cause?? The car is in great shape...no dings/tears/damage of any kind on the vehicle. Looked under the hood and saw no repairs to bulkhead/frames/etc so im confident there were no accidents. One thing that i did notice was that driving straight forward on flat pavement, the steering wheel seems to be slightly turned to the left about 1 inch from dead center...... Please help. Cant enjoy my baby yet uitill I get this corrected. Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 PM

I bet it is a wheel bearing. The roar is typical of a bad bearing. Just because you can spin a wheel by hand and not hear it, doesnt mean that the bearing isnt the culprit.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM

Motor mounts? Bad ones make ***t seem pretty loud all around...tranny...suspension everything else.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 AM

Did you have the car inspected before you bought it?
Old 10-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Humm resloved?

did you ever find a solution? I have a similar noise from the rear passenger side and has been going on for about months.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by peanstein
did you ever find a solution? I have a similar noise from the rear passenger side and has been going on for about months.
I had a similar noise coming from the right Rear part of Car.

I drove a few miles at 100Kph (60mph).

Stopped car and checked the temperature of the wheel Hubs and Rotor for heat and sure enough the Right Rear Hub was HOT to the touch as was the Rotor.

Took it to My Local Garage asked him to check for a bad Bearing.

He called me a few hours later said that he took it for spin and put car on Hoist and spun the RR Wheel and listen with a Stethoscope and said he heard nothing.

He suspected the Calipers since I had new Rotors and Pads replaced before I bought the 04 Nissan Maxima.

He replace Calipers on the Left rear and Right Rear wheels and the noise went away and the Rotor is no longer hot to the touch after driving at Highway Speeds.

Not saying you have the same issue but too many Mechanics forget to check for sticky Calipers when they replace Pads.

Good luck with your issue and hope you find the problem