6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Taking trip in 04 Max SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Taking trip in 04 Max SE

Planning to take a trip 700 miles, 1400 miles round trip in within 5 days, west from NJ in about 3 weeks in my 04 SE, has 124500 miles. Haven't had any problems with her before, purchased it with about 118000 as a certified vehicle at a nissan dealer. Runs great, but the longest I've gone with it yet has been about 80 miles one way, 160 total in a day. Worried about the long drive. Gunna go about 10 hours straight with 2 drivers. Is that too much to put on her? Worried about high temperature for 10 hours straight, or am I just paranoid? Any suggestions on getting her ready for the trip?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vinny_13
Planning to take a trip 700 miles, 1400 miles round trip in within 5 days, west from NJ in about 3 weeks in my 04 SE, has 124500 miles. Haven't had any problems with her before, purchased it with about 118000 as a certified vehicle at a nissan dealer. Runs great, but the longest I've gone with it yet has been about 80 miles one way, 160 total in a day. Worried about the long drive. Gunna go about 10 hours straight with 2 drivers. Is that too much to put on her? Worried about high temperature for 10 hours straight, or am I just paranoid? Any suggestions on getting her ready for the trip?
Trans flush from nissan dealer, oil change to include higher viscosity fluid something like 10w40 or even 15w50 mobile 1. have tires and brakes checked. Ohh don't forget to rain-x your windshield.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Trans flush from nissan dealer, oil change to include higher viscosity fluid something like 10w40 or even 15w50 mobile 1. have tires and brakes checked. Ohh don't forget to rain-x your windshield.
Have you ever had a trans flush on your max? I've heard mixed emotions about doing so. Some say not to touch the trans fluid if you dont have any problems with it. Also how much does that cost?
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

Have you ever had a trans flush on your max? I've heard mixed emotions about doing so. Some say not to touch the trans fluid if you dont have any problems with it. Also how much does that cost?
Just drain and refill. Refill with the amount drained.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:04 AM

I have done both. I have also had Firestone do a flush on my Ford Expedition. Horrible mistake. Nissan did a flush on my max and they did it different than Firestone. When Firestone did it, they hooked the machine to the fill side of the trans and pushed and pulled fluid from that connection. this pushes good and bad fluid to include shavings and metal if there is any through your trans. bad idea if something gets stuck. Nissan hooks up to the fill and only pushes fluid through. They will check fluid first to ensure it is of correct color without shavings prior just as a safety measure. Drain and Fill is the safest, just time consuming and costs a bit more. With piece of mind knowing it is done right however outweighs the extra cost IMO. Costee is right do a drain and fill to be safe. The flush was about $120 over a drain and fill ($14 a quart X 12 quarts)=$168.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Any idea when the transmission was last serviced? With that kind of mileage I wouldn't have it flushed. Just a drain and fill, and even that would be dependent on knowledge of the service history and the condition of the fluid.

If it's due for an oil change before you get back, I'd do that. Otherwise, just make sure things are topped off an in good working order.

Last summer we took our '05 Max SE w/120,000 miles at the time on a 4,000 mile road trip. Seattle-San Francisco, San Francisco-San Diego, San Diego-Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City-Seattle, plus all the side trips and local driving. More than 800 miles on some days. 4 people plus luggage. Over mountain passes, across deserts in 100+ degree heat. Typically cruising along at 80-90mph. Not a single problem, car handled it all beautifully. I'd do it again tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Any idea when the transmission was last serviced? With that kind of mileage I wouldn't have it flushed. Just a drain and fill, and even that would be dependent on knowledge of the service history and the condition of the fluid.

If it's due for an oil change before you get back, I'd do that. Otherwise, just make sure things are topped off an in good working order.

Last summer we took our '05 Max SE w/120,000 miles at the time on a 4,000 mile road trip. Seattle-San Francisco, San Francisco-San Diego, San Diego-Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City-Seattle, plus all the side trips and local driving. More than 800 miles on some days. 4 people plus luggage. Over mountain passes, across deserts in 100+ degree heat. Typically cruising along at 80-90mph. Not a single problem, car handled it all beautifully. I'd do it again tomorrow.
This is awesome to hear, only reason Im slightly worried is due to all the talk about the problems people have had with trans. When i bought the car the carfax report had a transmission service on it, and it was around 65,000 miles. I wasnt too sure what transmission service meant, if it was just a drain and refill, a flush, or a valve body rebuild? wish i knew but i do know it was serviced. And you didnt have any problems driving 8-9 hours straight?