6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Timing Chain or Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
UFO

Timing Chain or Oil Pump?

Hey guys,

So my Max started making a weird knocking sound during the start up. The sound faded away once the engine was on temperature, but several month later the sound came more frequently than it used to. First, I brought the car to a Nissan dealership, who informed me that besides the worn timing chain (due not timely changing the engine oil) there may be something else going on, they were not able to verify that because of complex process. Estimate: $1800-$2200

For my second opinion I went to my dealer's recommended guy. The guy looked at the car and said that he would normally say it is the timing chain, but since the sound comes back at random times, my oil pressure system or pump are giving up. When I asked how much that would be, he said that it is better to trade in the vehicle.

Now, my trustworthy friends, I would like to hear what you think about this issue. Please help!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 AM

I would just get the oil-pump replaced, and by someone who wants to do the work. That is far cheaper than buying a new(er) car.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Do this first:
Then change your oil after about 50 miles are put on the car. Use Mobile 1, 15w50 oil instead of 5w30. I use this for every oil change. I have used many different oils and weights, this is so far the best for this car with how hot the engine gets. If you look at other engines with this compression ratio from Germany, they recommend 20w50. I personally think that is too far from the recommended, so 15w50 works for me. When it gets below 45 degrees or so outside, switch back to 10w40.

This article sums it up, does not tell you exactly what to get, but helps you understand what to choose.
http://dealnews.com/features/A-Guide...ar/568237.html

Last edited by po8pimp; 08-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM

VQ35DE don't like low oil levels. Top up your oil.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

DO NOT PUT Sea Foam in your motor..... the bearings don't like it. The Nissan dealer lied to you as they usually do.... The chain never wears, but the plastic guides do. Most likely they didnt check anything, As to check the timing chain and its guides is a 4-6 hour job....pulling that timing cover is a bit@$. There was a service bulletin for the guides of the 2004-2005 3.5 liter engines and a new type of plastic is used.
Changing your oil pump wont help anyone but the mechanics wallet, a knocking noise is pretty common on these motors before they warm up, but if it continues when it is warm most likely the guides and the tensioner for the chain.
Although Chains generaly dont brake I reconmmend changing the main chain adn the cam chains and guides while your in there.

Also some early motors have a problem throwing a wrist pin and killing the motor around 70,000.... I had to put in a motor in my 04 maxima at 66,000 miles... Got it from a nissan quest for 650 bucks though... gotta love how cheap these motors are...

If your wondering if I know what Im talking about...because most people on these forums dont...I am a A.S.E. Certified Master Technican and own my own shop.

Good luck man
Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 AM
L36

Originally Posted by Mauismithshop
DO NOT PUT Sea Foam in your motor..... the bearings don't like it. The Nissan dealer lied to you as they usually do.... The chain never wears, but the plastic guides do. Most likely they didnt check anything, As to check the timing chain and its guides is a 4-6 hour job....pulling that timing cover is a bit@$. There was a service bulletin for the guides of the 2004-2005 3.5 liter engines and a new type of plastic is used.
Changing your oil pump wont help anyone but the mechanics wallet, a knocking noise is pretty common on these motors before they warm up, but if it continues when it is warm most likely the guides and the tensioner for the chain.
Although Chains generaly dont brake I reconmmend changing the main chain adn the cam chains and guides while your in there.

Also some early motors have a problem throwing a wrist pin and killing the motor around 70,000.... I had to put in a motor in my 04 maxima at 66,000 miles... Got it from a nissan quest for 650 bucks though... gotta love how cheap these motors are...

If your wondering if I know what Im talking about...because most people on these forums dont...I am a A.S.E. Certified Master Technican and own my own shop.

Good luck man
Seafoam conditions oil to prevent moisture and help dissolve sludge. Ive never had any issue putting seafoam into the oil on any of my VQ motors or the subarus i have for that matter.

Just change your oil shortly because seafoam will really clean your engine, especially if its a high mileage one.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by L36
Seafoam conditions oil to prevent moisture and help dissolve sludge. Ive never had any issue putting seafoam into the oil on any of my VQ motors or the subarus i have for that matter.

Just change your oil shortly because seafoam will really clean your engine, especially if its a high mileage one.
+1 Seafoam was developed for use in boat motors to clean them out after sitting. This is some really good stuff. I have used it for my car and no issues. put almost 100k on it and the engine looks pretty much the same as it did when I bought it as far as engine internals are concerned.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/our-history/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam...n-gas-engines/

Last edited by po8pimp; 08-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First, I brought the car to a Nissan dealership, who informed me that besides the worn timing chain (due not timely changing the engine oil) there may be something else going on, they were not able to verify that because of complex process. Estimate: $1800-$2200

For my second opinion I went to my dealer's recommended guy. The guy looked at the car and said that he would normally say it is the timing chain, but since the sound comes back at random times, my oil pressure system or pump are giving up. When I asked how much that would be, he said that it is better to trade in the vehicle.