6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

What Octane Gas Should I Run In My 04 Maxima 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Eggs,

Do you recall this post at all??

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
If you wanna chat about our corvettes than do it in the off topic section where we won't be jacking this thread.
You carried on busting Tex's *****, then posted this 15 hours later...

Looks good man! I had a c5 that I installed a twin turbo kit on. I had to sell it before it was finished because my tuition jumped and I didn't want to take out a loan, but I sold it to my buddy for kelly blue and the cost of the kit and helped him finish it. He is putting 580 horses to the wheels at 14psi. It is ridiculous. Here are some pics before I sold it.

This is right after installing the kit. It was a prototype kit and the only problem I ran into was space for a filter. So i had to manipulate it a little a squish it in there lol The oil pump was also not powerful enough for the return so the shop that was tuning it fit two individual pumps right next to the turbo. Buddy says its been running great and pulls hard on ZO6's
If this isn't thread jacking, I don't know what is.

100 bucks says he comes back to see what I write about him.
I hope Tex does come back to see what you wrote so he can see just how much of a hypocrite you really are.

Back on topic, I have run both 87 and 91 and didn't notice any difference.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
I hardly need google for this topic. I choose to burn a higher quality fuel for ALL of my vehicles. Always have, always will.
Since when is 91 a higher quality than 87

I always thought higher octane = the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

91 Octane if in Cali, any other state go with the 93 if they have it....
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Name:  Abandon-Thread_zps6f0c2fdb.gif
Views: 38
Size:  2.02 MB
Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM

But don't worry, a few more promotions down there at the radio shack and you'll be able to afford something nice too one day kid. Best of luck to you.
Wow this thread has jumped out of proportion.

I think we covered the topic.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sensfan1111
Eggs,

Do you recall this post at all??

You carried on busting Tex's *****, then posted this 15 hours later...

If this isn't thread jacking, I don't know what is.

I hope Tex does come back to see what you wrote so he can see just how much of a hypocrite you really are.

Back on topic, I have run both 87 and 91 and didn't notice any difference.

Well you at least have 1 brain cell in that head of yours for realizing how hypocrisy works and can do a little math. If you had 2 maybe you would have realized my comment was not a sincere excuse, but rather a polite way of saying: "F*** off, you're a arrogant d*** and i don't want entertain you in a friendly way because we have something in common."

sorry for the challenging abstraction... I understand some things are hard for people to understand.

Second, bro, the dude did see that and he did notice what you pointed out and its killing him not to chime in . But he is way too prideful to let others know he actually has no life on that **** hole island and that his statement of leaving the thread without lurking is something he can't really do.

If he actually does leave the thread and he isn't reading this right now, than i would be slightly wrong about him and actually slightly impressed. Maybe that would entice a "Fellow F-Bod" guy like me to actually have a friendly conversation with him ....not

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Since when is 91 a higher quality than 87

I always thought higher octane = the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating.

+1

That is all octane means. We need a hit the nail on the head smiley.

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Apparently, when a guy asks what octane to use in a Maxima, what he really wants are people to talk about and post pictures of Corvettes..
Hey! when do you become a mod????

....yeah i know... I am way

But corvettes are boss!!!

SENSFAN1111 this is for you since you think there is still something to talk about.

In the automotive world, there are many common myths, which are repeated so many times that, after a while, they eventually transform themselves into ‘facts.’ Unsurprisingly, many of these ‘facts’ have to do with gasoline, whether they be regarding fuel mileage, power possibilities or some other arcane aspect of the internal combustion engine. Gasoline can be a confusing topic, and it is easy to make assumptions about it that may seem logical, but which on closer examination, turn out not to be true. A perfect example of this practice can be seen with octane ratings.

What are octane ratings? Simply put, when you pull into the gas station and are presented with the array of different fuel grades that you can pump into your car, the numbers written above each button or nozzle indicate that particular grade’s octane rating. Typically, the range will run from 87 octane on up to 93 octane.

In the world of automobiles, it is tempting to associate higher numbers with higher quality . After all, more horsepower and more miles per gallon are a better thing, which feeds into our perception that more impressive octane ratings also equal higher performance. Gasoline companies understand this mentality and do nothing to dissuade drivers from it, labeling 87 octane gas ‘Regular,’ and 91 or 93 octane ‘Super’ in an attempt to reinforce this way of thinking. After all, since ‘Super’ is priced higher than ‘Regular,’ it’s in their best interest to convince as many people as they can that paying a bit extra means getting better quality gas.

Unfortunately, this is where the myth of what gasoline’s octane rating really means creeps into the picture. Time and again, people will be told that high octane fuel burns cleaner or more completely, and that it will give them extra power and better fuel mileage than Regular octane gasoline because it contains more ‘energy.’ These blanket statements are simply not true. In fact, the octane rating for gasoline has nothing to do with the amount of power locked inside of it – it actually relates to just how much a fuel can be compressed before igniting. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite under pressure.

Now educate yourselves

Why would anyone want to produce a fuel that was actually harder to ignite once inside an engine? To understand the role that octane ratings and ignition pressures play in a motor, it helps to be familiar with the term ‘knock.’ Essentially, when gasoline is sprayed into a cylinder by a fuel injector and mixed with oxygen, engine designers expect it to remain there in vapor form until it is time for the sparkplug to light it up, causing the explosion that drives the piston down to generate horsepower. The timing of this explosion is critical, as gasoline that ignites too early causes ‘knock,’ which reduces engine output and efficiency and which, in worst-case scenarios, can actually physically damage an engine.

In most engines, knock is rarely an issue because the compression ratio – that is, the pressure that the air/fuel mixture is put under in the cylinder – is low enough that Regular gasoline’s octane rating is sufficient. There is absolutely no benefit to running Premium fuel in a standard motor, since it will never be able to take advantage of that gasoline’s higher knock resistance. However, more aggressive engine management schemes, especially those found in turbocharged or supercharged vehicles, can turn up the compression to a high level, requiring much higher octane gasoline to avoid knock.

How can you know whether your car actually requires Super gasoline or whether it can get by on Regular? Almost every vehicle will list the octane rating necessary to run it safely inside the owner’s manual. Some luxury or sportscars might even place a small reminder on the gas gauge itself stating ‘Premium Unleaded fuel only’ to make sure you don’t forget.

To wrap things up: no, you won’t see a power or fuel efficiency increase by running high octane fuel in an engine that has been tuned and designed for Regular gas, nor will doing so perform any extra ‘cleaning’ inside the motor. On the flip side, running low octane fuel in an engine built for Premium can increase the risk of engine damage and will certainly impact that unit’s overall performance. The next time someone tries to pass these myths off on you, you can try explaining to them how octane ratings really work<---- Is that not what I DID??! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!

Last edited by NmexMAX; 08-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Nice copy and paste job, mind citing your source? Thanks.

"...tuned and designed for regular..."

Which might I point out, our Maximas are NOT designed for regular. They run optimally on premium, and I personally have seen a mileage increase with premium in my Max. 20% better mileage as a matter of fact.

If they didn't perform better on premium then they wouldn't have the "premium fuel recommended" sticker on the fuel door and in the manual.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 08-12-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83

Nice copy and paste job, mind citing your source? Thanks.

"...tuned and designed for regular..."

Which might I point out, our Maximas are NOT designed for regular. They run optimally on premium, and I personally have seen a mileage increase with premium in my Max. 20% better mileage as a matter of fact.

If they didn't perform better on premium then they wouldn't have the "premium fuel recommended" sticker on the fuel door and in the manual.
I've already cited it in several posts back but here it is again. This is for people who can't click links lol
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/gas...ane-myths.html

And you are very correct sir, our cars are made to run on premium and because they are made for it, they are more efficient in using it. Thus your gas mileage increases. There is no magic or sorcery behind it.

However, our cars do have the ability to adjust for lower octane so that it doesn't get damaged by all the penny pinchers out there who don't believe in paying for premium even though, as you said, it SPECIFICALLY says it should be used. It still does not make up for the fact it runs better and more efficient on 91. that is what it is balanced for. I would say 20% is not accurate. That is quite a lot. With the ability to adjust you will be losing a maximum of 5% which is still a very generous estimate.

The issue here is people who use premium on low compression cars because they think the word "premium" literally means higher quality than the lower octanes.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 08-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
oem ftw!

20eggs in another epic battle on the 6th gen forum. This can only mean one thing: All is well on maxima.org.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM

First off, TexasTex I find it really funny you being a father who was military and educated in a field that commands prestige is stooping down to a childish level to harangue some "kid" because he made a snide remark about you driving a 50+ thousand dollar car when you're on a forum consisting of a car that is worth 3-8 grand. if anything is pathetic it is you, not because of your situation, but your attitude and hurt internet pride. I'd expect someone in your position to let comments like that roll off your back, the fact you didn't speaks volumes.

Yet you feel compelled to critique me? Yea, that's by no means calling the kettle black now is it? Excellent point sir.

Oh, I'm glad you don't think someone that has put their time in and is now finishing his degree while taking care of his two children isn't "pathetic." That means a lot coming from you. Who are you again?

And trust me, there is no "hurt internet pride" here. I just find ot funny when a kid talks about something he has clearly has no idea about, then tries to belittle it. I have earned my fair share in life, I'm hardly hurt by anyone here.

The fact that such a man of your sheer integrity couldn't refrain from criticizing my criticizing, speaks volumes. I'd expect a man of your stature to let comments like mine roll of your back.

Second, you putting premium in an engine that doesn't require it actually does more to hurt its performance and economy not to mention you are running that engine in a way its not supposed to. Do you even know how octane works in the internal combustion engine? maybe google it.

I hardly need google for this topic. I choose to burn a higher quality fuel for ALL of my vehicles. Always have, always will.

Third, Kryogen, to answer your question. I have a corvette, a very modified corvette that would **** on Tex's c6. I drive my maxima more often than the vette because although the vette is nicer and much more fun to drive it actually takes more work to drive it. You are dealing with A LOT more power, your visibility is MUCH lower so you are breaking your neck to change lanes let alone backing up, you are also in a car that disintegrates upon a crash so you need to be much more aware of your surroundings in the name of safety. Just like when I had my super sport motorcycles (zx6r, R1), even if it was a stroll around town i was always mentally tired afterwards. You have to be on top of your game at all times on 2 wheels or you die, no if's and's or but's you die if you don't pay attention, or worse, you end up paralyzed. It's the same principle in a corvette just to a lesser degree. If you are in a calm sedate mood the maxima just floats you around easily. So there is a reason why people have a daily drive and an aggressive sports car side by side.

Oh, now you wish to preach huh? HAHAHA! Cute. And secondly, a Vette that would **** on mine huh? Oh, congratulations. And?

Would you like a Vicodin? I'm sure your hips hurt by now from the e-**** you're swinging around. Come on man....
This is just getting good, can we please keep to normal text color as this hurts my eyes to read. please don't let my comment in any way stop you from continuing this most excellent argument.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by CRiME
20eggs in another epic battle on the 6th gen forum. This can only mean one thing: All is well on maxima.org.

hahahaha!! yeah it's been a while

all is well
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
This is just getting good, can we please keep to normal text color as this hurts my eyes to read. please don't let my comment in any way stop you from continuing this most excellent argument.
I kinda backed the dude in a corner. If he came back now it would be shameful
Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Administrator

hahahaha!! yeah it's been a while

all is well
I kinda backed the dude in a corner. If he came back now it would be shameful
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Apparently, when a guy asks what octane to use in a Maxima, what he really wants are people to talk about and post pictures of Corvettes..
No, its having a nice conversation with some people until some ******* who owns a 99 comes to the 6th Gen section to start chit
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 AM

Looks good man! I had a c5 that I installed a twin turbo kit on. I had to sell it before it was finished because my tuition jumped and I didn't want to take out a loan, but I sold it to my buddy for kelly blue and the cost of the kit and helped him finish it. He is putting 580 horses to the wheels at 14psi. It is ridiculous. Here are some pics before I sold it.

This is right after installing the kit. It was a prototype kit and the only problem I ran into was space for a filter. So i had to manipulate it a little a squish it in there lol The oil pump was also not powerful enough for the return so the shop that was tuning it fit two individual pumps right next to the turbo. Buddy says its been running great and pulls hard on ZO6's
Yup,,,not a lot of room under there for sure !!!

Ok,,, better not talk Corvettes anymore,,,,don't want to get yelled at by the forum police
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 AM

. I would say 20% is not accurate. That is quite a lot. With the ability to adjust you will be losing a maximum of 5% which is still a very generous estimate.

I measured it in my car after I bought it. The previous owner used regular in it all its life. I changed teh fuel filter and ran regular as well through 5 tanks, got an average of 17 MPG.

Then I switched to premium and after 5 tanks my average crept up to 21.

From 17 to 21 is 4 MPG, which is a bit over 20%. So I don't care if "you would say 20% is not accurate"...for I actually measured it, and for my car it was accurate. So you can pontificate all you want, but when faced with the cold hard TRUTH... I'll just leave it out for you.

but the original post was not about higher quality gasoline...as you and I both know (and you have agreed with me) that our cars run better on premium because our cars are tuned for it.

So what's the actual problem?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I measured it in my car after I bought it. The previous owner used regular in it all its life. I changed teh fuel filter and ran regular as well through 5 tanks, got an average of 17 MPG.

Then I switched to premium and after 5 tanks my average crept up to 21.

From 17 to 21 is 4 MPG, which is a bit over 20%. So I don't care if "you would say 20% is not accurate"...for I actually measured it, and for my car it was accurate. So you can pontificate all you want, but when faced with the cold hard TRUTH... I'll just leave it out for you.

but the original post was not about higher quality gasoline...as you and I both know (and you have agreed with me) that our cars run better on premium because our cars are tuned for it.

So what's the actual problem?

look man, first off you can't measure anything unless you have a controlled environment and an unchangeable fixed value to reference and compare. You don't have a control in your experiment. Your foot is going to press on the gas peddle in congruence to your mood and situation on the road. You are going to accelerate different every day you drive that car, at every stop sign, stop light, every merge everything. You cannot drive the same way unless you are a robot, and you cannot measure anything unless you drive the same rout with the same stops with the same acceleration with the same traffic doing the same speed, with the same temperature outside, with the same weather conditions ect... The variables that can have a huge effect on the conclusion of your hypothesis are endless. The only way to get CLOSE and give a general ballpark estimate of your MPG is if you are driving several hundred miles on the highway where there is NO city driving, and you use cruise control to speed up and slow down while there is 0 traffic so you can continue going the same speed. THEN the way to measure it is by filling up your tank. Logging how many miles you traveled, the refill your tank and log the gallons you put into it, then do your math. You can't just let some computer (which is known very often to be wrong) to say you gained an average of ect... You cant measure MPG in the city when the difference of 4mpg means 20% more efficiency. That is a huge number. My average is about 25mpg give or take 10mpg.

Second, that meter in our car is not a trust all perfect little device. You can only measure gas by the physical gas in your tank.

Third what fuel filter are you talking about? i think you are full of it because we don't have accessible fuel filters, did you rip out the entire gas tank? and replace that? because that is where our filter is.

this is a pic of mine. You and I both know maximas don't get 40+ mpg. I was driving at a slight decline for an hour on my trip from SoCal to NorCal. on the way back I get more like 25. I always drive between the hours of 10pm-4am because there is 0 traffic and i always use cruise control. My trips are much more stable and true than yours and my range is so radically different because of the direction I go.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 08-13-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 AM

look man, first off you can't measure anything unless you have a controlled environment and an unchangeable fixed value to reference and compare. You don't have a control in your experiment. Your foot is going to press on the gas peddle and you are going to accelerate different every day you drive that car, at every stop sign, stop light, every merge everything. You cannot drive the same way unless you are a robot, and you cannot measure anything unless you drive the same rout with the same stops with the same acceleration with the same traffic doing the same thing, with the same temperature outside ect... The variables that can have a huge effect on the conclusion of your hypothesis are endless. The only way to get CLOSE is if you are driving sever hundred miles on the highway where there is NO city driving, and you use cruise control to speed up and slow down while there is 0 traffic so you can continue going the same speed. THEN the way to measure it is by filling up your tank. Logging how many miles you traveled, the refill your tank and log the gallons you put into it, then do your math. You can't just let some computer (which is known very often to be wrong) to say you gained an average of ect...

Second, that meter in our car is not a trust all perfect little device. You can only measure gas by the physical gas in your tank.

Third what fuel filter are you talking about? i think you are full of it because we don't have accessible fuel filters, did you rip out the entire gas tank? and replace that? because that is where our filter is.

this is a pic of mine. You and I both know maximas don't get 40+ mpg. I was driving at a slight incline for an hour on my trip from SoCal to NorCal. on the way back I get more like 25. Tell me more about how nissans magic measuring device.

That's why I averaged out over 5 tanks...which is about 2 months of driving. Winter blend gas. Same route to work and back...mainly city driving. And yeah, I have a 99 so the fuel filter for me is accessible.

And BTW I measured my MPG the right way. using math. I don't have a computer to lie to me and tell me what I'm getting.