6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

A Few Issues / Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM

A Few Issues / Need Help

So my brother bought a used 2004 Nissan Maxima SL. 230xxx kms, automatic.

1. The radio seems to work, but there is absolutely no sound coming from the speakers. I've looked into this, and from what I've come across, it's either the amp, or bad soldering.

2. The transmissions kicks while accelerating to and braking down from second gear.

3. Why does the rear suspension look gone on all of these? Every one I see, the back is much lower than the front.

4. Driver door won't open from the outside when unlocked after having been locked. So, if I lock the door, once I unlocked it, the only way to open it is through the inside. After it's opened, I can close it as many times as I want, and it opens up from the outside each time, until it's locked again and then once unlocked, only from the inside does it open. Really weird.

If anyone's had any or all of these issues I'd very much appreciate it if you could assist me in resolving them. What did you do to fix your same issue? What worked?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiago Alves
So my brother bought a used 2004 Nissan Maxima SL. 230xxx kms, automatic.

1. The radio seems to work, but there is absolutely no sound coming from the speakers. I've looked into this, and from what I've come across, it's either the amp, or bad soldering.

2. The transmissions kicks while accelerating to and braking down from second gear.

3. Why does the rear suspension look gone on all of these? Every one I see, the back is much lower than the front.

4. Driver door won't open from the outside when unlocked after having been locked. So, if I lock the door, once I unlocked it, the only way to open it is through the inside. After it's opened, I can close it as many times as I want, and it opens up from the outside each time, until it's locked again and then once unlocked, only from the inside does it open. Really weird.

If anyone's had any or all of these issues I'd very much appreciate it if you could assist me in resolving them. What did you do to fix your same issue? What worked?

Thanks in advance!
1. If radio works but no sound, thats usually a wiring issue.

2. I hate to tell you this, but that's a slipping tranny and those are just the gears where the teeth are messed up. This will cause the car to not move past that gear someday but it can take quite a while before that happens.

3. Its a FWD car, rear is supposed to be lower. Unless its too low that its not normal for stock suspension.

4. Bad door lock that only opens fully from the inside lever.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
1. If radio works but no sound, thats usually a wiring issue.

2. I hate to tell you this, but that's a slipping tranny and those are just the gears where the teeth are messed up. This will cause the car to not move past that gear someday but it can take quite a while before that happens.

3. Its a FWD car, rear is supposed to be lower. Unless its too low that its not normal for stock suspension.

4. Bad door lock that only opens fully from the inside lever.
1. AMP (well known issue)
2. What kind of transmission is it? 4AT or 5AT or Manual
3. This is normal for the 6thgen. That is why some only lower the front.
4. Sticking lock, happens all the time. I have two doors that do this. Lube it up with some WD40 lubricating oil. You will have to take the inside door apart for this.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Found them very helpful!

Not sure if it's a 4 speed or 5 speed but I'll find out. I don't recall this kick in the transmission being present when we originally went to view the vehicle and test drive it, which was maybe 6 months ago. I was hoping it was maybe electrical, maybe a sensor, as I figured this would be a cheaper and quicker fix.

I took it top my mechanic on Thursday and after test driving it he said everything seemed fine, that the biggest problem was the transmission and once it's fixed, 90% of the problems will disappear.

I've heard the transmission on these are a common issue, I've read of some of you having to replace it multiple times. Who do you recommend I take it in to and how much would you assume I'd be looking at spending? Just want a rough idea so I'm not shocked once I find out from them.

As for the door handle, I've tried spraying some WD40 on it a couple times and it fixed one of the passenger doors but not the driver one. When I removed the driver door interior panel, the window regulator came off and I spent more time trying to put that together than I thought I'd spend on the actual handle issue, which I couldn't even get to because the window glass ended up blocking access to it.

I've heard the speakers was another common issue and most stated it was the amp, but others stated poor soldering and most had an issue going back and forth and never really fixing the issue even after taking it in and replacing the amp but I'll try replacing the amp and hoping that's what it is.

Long story short, regarding the transmission, could it still be a sensor or is it most likely the gears? How much do you figure it'll cost?

Thanks again so much for the info!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Not sure if it's a 4 speed or 5 speed but I'll find out.

Long story short, regarding the transmission, could it still be a sensor or is it most likely the gears?!
I'm afraid it's long story if 5speed. See here
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html
Btw, is the SES light on? Scan and let's know.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Costee
I'm afraid it's long story if 5speed. See here
http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html
Btw, is the SES light on? Scan and let's know.
Yes, the "Service Engine Soon" light is on, however it must have only come on within the last 2 weeks.

Silly question, but what's the easiest way to determine if it's a 4 speed or 5 speed automatic transmission?

I went to Tire World today to buy some new tires and she drove fine there, but on the way back it was as per usual.

When cold, there's no real evident issue.

However, after the car warms up, the following happens:

1. HUGE jump and a thump sound when going from reverse to drive and back. Thought it was the engine mounts, but my mechanic stated the mounts are good.

2. A kick when accelerating from first to second, and downshifting from second to first. Big kick if accelerating fast, but feels like just a slight slip when I go easy on it.

Slowly going through the thread you linked me to (really helpful) would this kit fix my issue? Can you order this in person or is it currently only from there and online only?

AND SO IT BEGINS

Just placed a call to a Mister Transmission near me. Going in tomorrow to finally have it looked at.

Based on how common this issue is on most 6th Gen Maxima's, you think these guys will already be knowledgeable in the shift kit resolution? My biggest fear is them being sure it's one thing, dropping a fortune on this, turns out it's not the issue, another fortune on another possible issue, etc. etc.

I'm thinking I'll have them look at it, tell me what they think, and then I'll bring up this shift kit if they don't?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 11-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM

AND SO IT BEGINS

Just placed a call to a Mister Transmission near me. Going in tomorrow to finally have it looked at.

Based on how common this issue is on most 6th Gen Maxima's, you think these guys will already be knowledgeable in the shift kit resolution? My biggest fear is them being sure it's one thing, dropping a fortune on this, turns out it's not the issue, another fortune on another possible issue, etc. etc.

I'm thinking I'll have them look at it, tell me what they think, and then I'll bring up this shift kit if they don't?
The kit is only one option. By the time you're through with the link you'd be better placed to choose how you intend to resolve the issue. But then we're jumping the gun. You've not ascertained if it's 4- or 5speed; although the symptoms you describe do suggest it's 5speed. Again, you say the SES light is on; what codes have you pulled? If you don't mind you may post the VIN so we can specifically relate with the car.
For the 4speed the shift lever runs through: P R N 3D 2 1
For the 5speed the shift lever runs through: P R N D
So which is yours?

Last edited by Costee; 10-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM

The kit is only one option. By the time you're through with the link you'd be better placed to choose how you intend to resolve the issue. But then we're jumping the gun. You've not ascertained if it's 4- or 5speed; although the symptoms you describe do suggest it's 5speed. Again, you say the SES light is on; what codes have you pulled? If don't mind, you may post the VIN so we can specifically relate with the car.
For the 4speed the shift lever runs through: P R N 3D 2 1
For the 5speed the shift lever runs through: P R N D
So which is yours?
Since you put it that way, definitely the 5 speed!

I don't own an OBD reader. I've contemplated buying one so many times whenever I think about it or see it on sale but have yet to do so.

So on this Maxima, the "Service Engine Soon" is essentially the "Check Engine" light?

I don't mind what method they use to fix it, as long as it fixes it permanently. I've read about way too many Maxima owners reparing/rebuilding their tranny only to have to do so again in no time, seems the issue was never really fixed properly. I was happy when I came across the shift kit because it seemed it was specifically for these issues and actually fixed them.

Again, I'll see what they say, but I really don't want to waste time nor money going back and forth trying to figure out what the issue is and making unnecessary repairs that make no difference until the final one, you know?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Since you put it that way, definitely the 5 speed!

I don't own an OBD reader. I've contemplated buying one so many times whenever I think about it or see it on sale but have yet to do so.

So on this Maxima, the "Service Engine Soon" is essentially the "Check Engine" light?

I don't mind what method they use to fix it, as long as it fixes it permanently. I've read about way too many Maxima owners reparing/rebuilding their tranny only to have to do so again in no time, seems the issue was never really fixed properly. I was happy when I came across the shift kit because it seemed it was specifically for these issues and actually fixed them.

Again, I'll see what they say, but I really don't want to waste time nor money going back and forth trying to figure out what the issue is and making unnecessary repairs that make no difference until the final one, you know?
I'll still insist you complete reading that thread. The tranny is not the issue; it's the valve body. Repairing/rebuilding the tranny cannot therefore resolve the issue. And if you must address this issue with some confidence you need to pull the codes. Yes SES is CEL.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM

go to Autozone or Orilley's and get the codes pulled. They will do it at no cost. I prefer Autozone myself, they will give you a printout. Have you checked your transmission fluid yet. Is it Brown or bright red? If it is brown then get it changed out at your local Nissan Dealer or do it yourself. This might cure your problems. The codes are a definite must. They could be something that is not even the transmission causing your issue.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
go to Autozone or Orilley's and get the codes pulled. They will do it at no cost. I prefer Autozone myself, they will give you a printout. Have you checked your transmission fluid yet. Is it Brown or bright red? If it is brown then get it changed out at your local Nissan Dealer or do it yourself. This might cure your problems. The codes are a definite must. They could be something that is not even the transmission causing your issue.
Funny you ask, last I checked (about a month ago while I was getting an oil change) it was dark brown. Far, FAR from red, which is the colour I had always been known to make sure it was, until I found out you can and some do, use power steering fluid in the transmission and vice-versa or something along those lines. So I thought maybe that's why it was a dark brown?

You think though, based on the issues I've posted, it could be something as simple as this? A transmission flush? If the overall feel was off, but it's specifically the second gear.

Regardless of what it is, the guys at the transmission shop should be able to diagnose and fix it yeah?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM

sure they can. I tell you though, you take a car in with brown fluid to a transmission shop, they more than likely will tell you that you need a full rebuild. Got to make that money. When in reality, you should first check your codes out, fix that problem, then get new tranny fluid in there. If that fixes your problem you are good. Brown fluid is not good, not terrible, just not good and not doing it's job. At least not like it should. You can get shifting issues with brown fluid, and sometimes only when in a certain gear. The fluid is what is needed to coat and protect the transmission and is used to shift the gears. Being discolored means it is broken down and not as viscous as new fluid. Also you can't flush these transmissions, you need to do a drain and fill. Costs less to do, especially if you do it yourself.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 AM

some do, use power steering fluid in the transmission
Never try it with this Max. Just follow the lead given in #13. Somehow, I get the feeling you're not making enough effort to know this car.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM

Okay guys update:

Slept in, didn't end up taking it to Mister Transmission, will do so tomorrow.

I called Avenue Nissan (I'm in Canada, btw) inquiring about draining and filling my transmission fluid and right away she asked if I was experiencing any issues with my transmission, I said yes and explained to her what it was doing. This is essentially what the lady told me:

"We cannot flush it because in some cases it made the problem worse and you must first investigate the issue and fix it. Changing the fluid won't make a difference/solve the issue."

I then called Airport Nissan. The guy I spoke to acted as if it's not a common issue and that he's not aware of this. Suggested I bring it in to have them see what's wrong. The diagnosing fee is $104.99 + tax.

Then I called 401 Dixie Nissan inquiring about the cost for the Bose amp.. get this.. the amp alone..$900!!!!

Have since called 3 wreckers looking for the amp.. 2 didn't have any.. 1 still had a radio in an '04 Maxima but stated the trunk lid was missing and the trunk is full of rain so there's probably water damage on the amp.

Anyway, forget the amp for now, will keep looking for a used working one (probably resort to eBay) but the tranny is my biggest concern and obviously the biggest most important issue at hand right now.

Going to take it into Mister Transmission as originally planned and hope they are familiar with the issue and fix it and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Also, as for my driver door exterior handle sticking issue.. yup, WD40 seems to have fixed that pretty much. Didn't remove the interior panel and do it from the inside, instead I pulled on the exterior handle and sprayed inside it.

Thanks again for all the responses, they've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.

I will update on the visit to Mister Transmission tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM

WOW... <---that's all I have left to offer this thread.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM

Okay guys update:

This is essentially what the lady told me:

"We cannot flush it because in some cases it made the problem worse and you must first investigate the issue and fix it. Changing the fluid won't make a difference/solve the issue."

I then called Airport Nissan...The diagnosing fee is $104.99 + tax.

I will update on the visit to Mister Transmission tomorrow.
This Max can't be flushed. You can only drain and refill which is quite harmless. Yes, changing the fluid will make little difference if your vb, as yours seems to be at 230k km, is far gone. She's right that you must first investigate. I suggest you invest the $105 on a scan tool to enable you have some control on the diagnosis.
I won't be surprised if Mister Transmission is for having a rebuild/re-manufactured transmission.
Yeah, keep us posted.

Last edited by Costee; 10-29-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Finally made time to take it to Mister Transmission, what a waste of time.

It was running nice the whole way there, and I don't believe they were able to fully feel/experience/see what I have been, but long story short, right away they were telling me the transmission needs an overhaul and quoted me $3,000.

I mentioned the shift kit, and when he asked where I heard about all of this he laughed at the internet. He was adamant about getting the $3,000.

I finally asked how much he would charge to try the shift kit attempt which everyone was having success with, his response, "I wouldn't do it. At least not in that order."

He wanted to make the $3,000 first, and when that didn't work, he'd be happy to take the additional $800 or whatever it would come out to.

Didn't like his attitude, glad it cost me nothing but my time today to have them look at it.

Am looking for a better tranny shop in the area, in the meantime, I ordered the amp off eBay and it should be here within a week or so.

All that's left is a resolution to the tranny.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Hold Up Tranny Folks (unless you a tranny expert - am not).

Had same tranny jerk. Uncle is the tranny expert. He replaced tranny brain (sits under tranny and called the VALVE BODY or CONTROL MODULE). Problem fixed with parts and fluid at 1GRAN

Dealer wanted to do tranny exchange at $4500...... and this was two yrs back, and no problem

You could replace it if you have the tools (after watching him, its at a level 6, 10 being expert)...........
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Unless I was duked twice, I had tranny flushed @ $89....... it can be done.

Am about to change fluid tonight.....

This Max can't be flushed. You can only drain and refill which is quite harmless. .....
Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Les7311
Unless I was duked twice, I had tranny flushed @ $89....... it can be done.

Am about to change fluid tonight.....
You where duked twice, that should make you a prince now right? Not too familiar with the whole ranking system. Either way the car is not equipped to do a flush.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 AM

you where duked twice, that should make you a prince now right? Not too familiar with the whole ranking system. Either way the car is not equipped to do a flush.
+1
Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Okay boys and girls, I have finally invested in a scan tool/OBD reader. Was waiting for the more advanced one to go on sale but was informed the basic one currently on sale for $53.99 at Canadian Tire, does the same thing, just have to Google the codes which I have no issue with.

There are two codes currently present, these are the folllowing:

P0442
P0456
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Okay boys and girls, I have finally invested in a scan tool/OBD reader. Was waiting for the more advanced one to go on sale but was informed the basic one currently on sale for $53.99 at Canadian Tire, does the same thing, just have to Google the codes which I have no issue with.

There are two codes currently present, these are the folllowing:

P0442
P0456
Your case seems to be much ado about nothing after all. The codes show you have a system leak. Here goes:
DTC P0442 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM
Possible Cause
Incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close.
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap.
Leak is in line between intake manifold and
EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister vent control valve.
EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube) leaks
EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
Loose or disconnected rubber tube
EVAP canister vent control valve and the circuit
EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve and the circuit
Fuel tank temperature sensor
O-ring of EVAP canister vent control valve is missing or damaged
EVAP canister is saturated with water
EVAP control system pressure sensor
Fuel level sensor and the circuit
Refueling EVAP vapor cut valve
ORVR system leaks

DTC P0456 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM
Leak is in line between intake manifold and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
ORVR system leaks
Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve

The two codes are practically the same. Start your trouble-shooting from here.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Your case seems to be much ado about nothing after all. The codes show you have a system leak. Here goes:
DTC P0442 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM
Possible Cause
Leak is in line between intake manifold and
EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
ORVR system leaks

DTC P0456 EVAP CONTROL SYSTEM
Leak is in line between intake manifold and EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve.
ORVR system leaks
Foreign matter caught in EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve

The two codes are practically the same. Start your trouble-shooting from here.
I understand that, but would I definitely get a code if it was anything to do with the transmission? Or because I only get these two, is it definitely not the transmission, but rather to do with these codes??

Part of my originally thought maybe it was something to do with the catylic converter or a relevant part if not the tranny itself.

What would you recommend I try first? New gas cap?
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM

I understand that, but would I definitely get a code if it was anything to do with the transmission? Or because I only get these two, is it definitely not the transmission, but rather to do with these codes??

Part of my originally thought maybe it was something to do with the catylic converter or a relevant part if not the tranny itself.

What would you recommend I try first? New gas cap?
The classical tranny symptoms associated with the 6th gen 5speed are delayed shifts, which you don't seem to have. I guess the leak you have is manifesting as a hiccup in the tranny, i.e. gear change. Not surprising. When a car is stifled of power, it shows in its transmission. As I said, start by addressing the codes; yes a new gas cap is not out of place
Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM

ggrrrrrrr....I wonder why the dealer (also with the pos-store) quoted me two prices; one for a change and the other for a flush?

Well, no biggie, i changed mine and will continue doing so from now onn...

You where duked twice, that should make you a prince now right? Not too familiar with the whole ranking system. Either way the car is not equipped to do a flush.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Les7311
ggrrrrrrr....I wonder why the dealer (also with the pos-store) quoted me two prices; one for a change and the other for a flush?

Well, no biggie, i changed mine and will continue doing so from now onn...
Now you got wiser being less duke
Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM

So I was playing around with it today.

Although it didn't act up as much today, I noticed in tiptronic it shifts much better, almost no kick in the 2nd gear, nothing compared to when in automatic.

Another thing I realized, and am wondering if it may play any part in any of this... there's a sticker inside the gas tank door stating it recommends using premium fuel/gas for maximum performance... I believe it's been filled with 87 octane on a regular basis..

Also, the tranny fluid is a dark brown, no burning smell though.. Nissan refuses to do a drain and fill due to the current tranny issues.. they and others have said it may only make the problems worse..
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Update on the amp btw: replaced it with a used one I got on eBay, says it was tested before removal and in working condition.. well.. radio still plays no sound. Bwah
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Also, the tranny fluid is a dark brown, no burning smell though.. Nissan refuses to do a drain and fill...
Do it yourself.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I plan on draining and filling the tranny fluid this weekend in hopes of some sort of improvement. Only worried it may make it worse from what I've heard though.

What about the whole, filling up with regular gas when it recommends premium gas for maximum performance? Will start using premium now that I've realized this though.

And why would these issues be worse when in automatic as opposed to being operated in tiptronic?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Still acting up, need to get this fixed before it gets even worse.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RE5F22A-AW55-...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Will buying this fix the common issue on the RE5F22A??? Can't afford to purchase a new vehicle and need to resolve this. Please advise, in desperate need of a solution.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 PM

Some more information:

I did a live reading with my new OBD2 scan tool, unfortunately I don't quite understand where most of this should be inbetween:

November 26, 2013 @ 8:10PM
2004 NISSAN MAXIMA SE 3.5L 5SPEED AUTO

Fuel Sys 1: CL
Fuel Sys 2: CL
Calc Load(%): 18.0
ECT(°C): 58
STFT B1(%): 1.6
LTFT B1(%): 0.8
STFT B2(%): -3.9
LTFT B2(%): 7.0
Eng RPM: 875
Veh Speed(km/h°): 0