6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

4th gen owner looking to upgrade to 6th gen soon...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:51 PM

4th gen owner looking to upgrade to 6th gen soon...

So I have a 99 maxima, and I love it but due to rust I am sadly going to have to part ways with it soon. I have rocker rust which I am going to cut weld and patch but I just discovered my floor is rusted out as well. I am done chasing rust and 15 years of this car in New England has completely rotted this thing out far and beyond.

anyway, looking to upgrade to a 6th gen, or I was thinking maybe even a Honda accord. But since I love my max so much I am going to try and stay with Nissan. I have been doing a lot of reading in the 6th gen section about various things that can go wrong with them and quite honestly it's kind of deterring me from wanting a 6th gen so that being said I made this thread to get some insight about this model maxima.

so judging by the things I came across, I see the auto trans is kinda ****ty would that be correct? I would like to get my hands on a 6 speed but they seem rare up here in new Hampshire. not only that but I need my girlfrined to be able to drive it as well so I kinda want to know more about the automatic trans. are they faulty? If someone can further elaborate on this that would be greatly appreciated.

another thing I would Like to know is do these cars rust out like the 4th gens do? I had to replace my radiator core support due to rust, and I already told you all about the rust I am currently facing now. a coworker at my work has a 6th gen and when he put it on the lift for an oil change I saw floor board rust more than my 4th gen. so Just wanting to know about that.

Another thing I would like to know, is do these vq35 burn oil like reported in the 5th gens? I am only used to the vq30 in my 4th gen so I do not know a whole lot about this issue.

anything else I should look out for while looking at purchasing one? any recalls/major things that I should be concerned about? please do let me know.

The maxima community has helped me a long time keep up with my 4th gen and I am very thankful for that. I am thankful that we have this web page with a lot of people that really pull it together and help people fix problems. Not to many car enthusiasts can say they have a ton of online support.

That being said if you guys can help me out before I make a mistake that would be great. i joined the org 2 months before I got my 4th gen and that helped me a lot learn about these cars. I would love another maxima, but I would like to know what I'm getting into.

thanks for the help!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 AM

There are 2 auto trans options, the 4spd which is usually found in the sl model and the 5spd which is found in the se. The 5spd is the one that tends to be problematic, the issue is valve body related. 4spd has no major issues as far as i know. I havent heard of any rust issues with them, nissan may have caught on and took care of that after the 5th gens. Burning oil i'm not sure but it is recommended that you do your oil changes religously on time due to timing chain tensioner and sludge issues. The timing chain tensioners making noise is an issue to research and consider

The two main issues talked about alot with these cars are the tranny and timing chain. Besides that there is the rotten egg smell issue, and abs sensor problems. Neither of which i have had in the two and a half years of owning mine, I did though have to replace my compressor 3 times in 2 years.

As you may already know, every and any car has its issues. Care and regular maintenance can greatly reduce the issues you experience. The 6th gen is a great car with a lot of subtle luxury touches to entice and sleeping power to excite lol.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM

99maxwell You'll like the 6th gen trust me thru all the ups and downs at the end of the day its worth it. Opt for a 6.5 gen 07-08 the CVT is smooth doesn't make a sound unless you floor it otherwise silent thru everyday cruise.

Honda Accords are alright but the 6th gen Max is a much better car.

Name:  100_8767_zps13301f5e.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks guys for your replies. I am very aware of the timing gain tensioner issue because I have that problem right now in my 4th gen. I was kind of hoping that wouldn't be a problem with newer middle bit the good news is ill know what to expect. As for the cvt trans I have read a lot of negative things about them but I wouldn't know unless I test drive one with it. I just hear a lot of negative about how it feels and what not. I really would like another maxima don't get me wrong bit I got to weigh put the pros and cons. I mean they seem more affordable than the hondas I've been looked at. And every other brand is out of the question either Nissan or Honda so it will come down to maxima or accord. I don't like small civic like cars or sentra/altima. Ever since I got a v6 I'm never going back to a 4 cyl lol
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM

99maxwell the CVT is not as bad as you think in the Maxima 6.5 gen and 7th the delivery it brings on is smooth. It's when its floored that drives people crazy. In the Maxima CVTs work wonders in the Altima it sounds like Bees having sex.

go test drive a 6.5 gen and you'll like it

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-25-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
99maxwell the CVT is not as bad as you think in the Maxima 6.5 gen and 7th the delivery it brings on is smooth. It's when its floored that drives people crazy. In the Maxima CVTs work wonders in the Altima it sounds like Bees having sex.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXlhqzyzyqo

go test drive a 6.5 gen and you'll like it
Thanks for your input man. Like I said I can't base my opinion off of everyone saying they don't care for it, I actually have to test drive one and get an opinion for myself because you never know I may like it like you do lol.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM

Can you afford a Gen 8 Accord with the 6 cylinder engine? The car is technically a full size sedan, will hold resale value better, good engine, no cvt or even 6 speed manual (coupe), only one gen old (2008-2012 according to wiki) etc

Last edited by george__; 03-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Can you afford a Gen 8 Accord with the 6 cylinder engine? The car is technically a full size sedan, will hold resale value better, good engine, no cvt or even 6 speed manual (coupe), only one gen old (2008-2012 according to wiki) etc
I am not looking into a brand new car as I am only 21 and in college full time. I was looking at the 7th gen accord (2003 to 2007) because it's more affordable for me. Also why I am looking into the 6th gen max which obv is around the same year period as the 7th gen accord. so between the 2 is what I'm looking to go for.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM

99maxwell when I was learning how to fly and going to college in the late 2000s I had to put up with a Ford Contour. Hurry up and go test drive so you can have fun!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 PM

@OP - The Honda Accord is definitely going to have a higher resale value than a Gen 6 Maxima so if you are a poor college student then the choice is obvious......
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by george__
@OP - The Honda Accord is definitely going to have a higher resale value than a Gen 6 Maxima so if you are a poor college student then the choice is obvious......

Go plug your honduh **** somewhere else.

Maybe YOU should get an accord.

Now Im starting to see why everybody collectively rolls their eyes at you.

OP, go drive one. Make the decision for yourself.

If I was a broke college student, I would opt for a 5 or 5.5gen. The later having known oil burning issues, maybe check into a 2000/2001?

Good luck either way.

.....and GTFO George--------->
Old 03-26-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
99maxwell when I was learning how to fly and going to college in the late 2000s I had to put up with a Ford Contour. Hurry up and go test drive so you can have fun!
I will go test drive one prob this weekend just to get a feel for it and might aswell check into the accord too so I can compare
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner

Go plug your honduh **** somewhere else.

Maybe YOU should get an accord.

Now Im starting to see why everybody collectively rolls their eyes at you.

OP, go drive one. Make the decision for yourself.

If I was a broke college student, I would opt for a 5 or 5.5gen. The later having known oil burning issues, maybe check into a 2000/2001?

Good luck either way.

.....and GTFO George--------->
No need for hostility. I am askin for everyone's open and honest opinion..as for a 5.5 gen I wouldn't wanna go that route due to the oil burning issues they have and not to mention everyone I see forsale has like 200k on it. The next car I'm going to get is deff gunna have less miles than the car I have now I have 139k on my max so I'm looking for something newer where I don't have to put 1000+ into maintence to make it decent. I will test drive a 6th gen max in the near future prob within the next week or two as well as a Honda. I am going to further my research about the ups and downs of both cars and get all the info I can before I make a decission, anyone else have anything to add about the 6th gen?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 99maxwell
No need for hostility. I am askin for everyone's open and honest opinion..as for a 5.5 gen I wouldn't wanna go that route due to the oil burning issues they have and not to mention everyone I see forsale has like 200k on it. The next car I'm going to get is deff gunna have less miles than the car I have now I have 139k on my max so I'm looking for something newer where I don't have to put 1000+ into maintence to make it decent. I will test drive a 6th gen max in the near future prob within the next week or two as well as a Honda. I am going to further my research about the ups and downs of both cars and get all the info I can before I make a decission, anyone else have anything to add about the 6th gen?

I meant no hostility towards you.

george_ likes to spread misinformation and start nonsense threads.

He is the single wart on the otherwise pristine azz that is the .Org.

You should buy the car that YOU find the most pleasing/fits your needs. However, if you ask this question on a Nissan forum well your gonna a fairly predictable outcome. Same as if you were to ask this on a Honda board. Jus sayin.....

Best of luck on your search.

Just out of curiosity, what's your budget?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 PM

I meant the gen 6 was the better buy because it would be cheaper to buy than a honda accord due to lower resale value
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM

99maxwell The Accord sounds like beavers doing a drive by shooting the accelerator get you six 6th thats where your heart is you know you want that max lol. Accords are reliable and good solid point A to Point B but the Maxima is more special there's something about it.

george__ 4thGenTuner yall sound like Tupac vs Biggie be cool guys we all friends around here George is a part of the family he means no harm just expressing his ideas and opinions like everybody else.

99maxwell If you get an Accord you do you wanna put up with that sound all day!

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM

ok well everyone can relax a little bit! I mean this thread started with me just suggesting me thinking of the possibility of an accord as well as a 6th gen max, I would prefer the maxima more, I do love my 4th gen and the "there's something about these maximas" comment is totally true don't get me wrong. I'm just weighing out the pros and cons and what it's going to come down to is cost and maintenance, like I know the issues of the maxima timing chain rattle due to tensioner because I have that issue now, and I know about the oil burning vq35 in the 5.5 gen, and I know about the 5at having valve body issues. And I only know that stuff from personal experience, and you fellow orgers giving me information. and because I know about most of the issues with the maxima it will be easier to take care of. where as with an accord I know absolutely nothing about and I would have to further my research about what kind of down falls an accord has, other than the beaver like performance..lol.

So before everybody stays on the **** Honda topic remember it was only a sub topic to the thread, and the main topic is what should I know about the 6th gen maxima before I make a purchase. I am 75% for the maxima and 25% for other options. I heard these vq35's are torqueyy as **** is that true?
Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM

99maxwell Torque steer I must admit as a 6th gen owner can be a little bit annoying in general acceleration is almost non existent but if you fly off the gas from a dead stop by the sound of things you may be briefly be under the impression that someone somewhere is a choking a cow

Another advantage to being a 6th gen owner maybe its just me this will cause a couple of apple throwing and gun shots to be fired but I use full synthetic blend and usually don't change it out for 5000-8000 miles or once every 7 to 9 months I guess because I don't drive my car everyday
Doesn't burn much oil. Regular oil the traditional is every 3000 miles.

and the timing chain I wouldn't use that as a reasoning to choose a Honda Acorn over a Maxima every vehicle with a chain will need replacing at some time or another the 6th gen Maxima is just a baby that likes to be babied so it wants its chain changed early on in some cases no different than changing diapers its part of life.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-26-2014 at 11:13 PM.