6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Knocking sound when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Knocking sound when accelerating

So my Max has been a great car until i left it sitting for 18 months ,even tho i was starting it weekly and then one day it bogged out on me and after some research i believed it to be the fuel pump which i replaced on my own. But it sat for 6 months before i replaced it.
When i was able to insure it i found that it was knocking and it got worse, so i brought it in and they replaced the knock sensor as mice had chewed up the wires and we replaced the spark plugs too. After this it was better but the knocking was still noticeable but not as heavy as it was , but the shop refunded the diagnoses fee of 180$ and now the car has gotten worse again...not as bad as it once was but still noticeable. The mechanic said it is the transmission shaft seal ( or something close to that lol).
Ive invested time and $$ and would hate to have to sell it as is.
2005 Maxima
223,000 km's
New transmission put in 6 years ago

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Michael R Baker
So my Max has been a great car until i left it sitting for 18 months ,even tho i was starting it weekly and then one day it bogged out on me and after some research i believed it to be the fuel pump which i replaced on my own. But it sat for 6 months before i replaced it.
When i was able to insure it i found that it was knocking and it got worse, so i brought it in and they replaced the knock sensor as mice had chewed up the wires and we replaced the spark plugs too. After this it was better but the knocking was still noticeable but not as heavy as it was , but the shop refunded the diagnoses fee of 180$ and now the car has gotten worse again...not as bad as it once was but still noticeable. The mechanic said it is the transmission shaft seal ( or something close to that lol).
2005 Maxima
223,000 km's

it’s one of your ignition coil packs.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:16 PM

There are different knocks. It would help if you could take and post a video with good sound to demonstrate your knock.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tarzan
There are different knocks. It would help if you could take and post a video with good sound to demonstrate your knock.
Good point, until im able to get a recording of tbe sound i can tell you its a very basey knock, you could say its a rattle even but because of the base in it im calling it a knock. Will try and record it tonight tho
Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Espo77
Dude, go back to facebook!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 PM

Good point, until im able to get a recording of tbe sound i can tell you its a very basey knock, you could say its a rattle even but because of the base in it im calling it a knock. Will try and record it tonight tho
Upload to youtube and post the link. You'll get a better response. It's unwise to download random files from strangers these days.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Espo77
What does the ignition have to do with a knocking sound when i accelerate? What makes you think this? Pls explain
Old 11-25-2019, 08:21 AM

2005 Maxima
223,000 km's

You're asking this community to guess what your problem is from words. Post a video of the noise so we can make a better educational guess of what it could be. I will tell you from my experience if the noise increase with acceleration it very well could be your timing chain tensioner.