7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much did you pay? *New car shopper*

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:40 AM

YES....!

I emailed one of big the Nissan dealerships where I used to live in VA, and he gave me internet quote just over $41k. The markup was an extra $2895. I was like....?? Man, what are you smoking? Even without the market, he didn't give a good price.

Tried to say it was some market adjustment because they couldn't keep them on the lot. HOWEVER, the other big Nissan dealership in the same area didn't have that markup.....same area, same market, hugely different price, go figure.

Last edited by smooth_caramel; 11-15-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by smooth_caramel
YES....!

I emailed one of big the Nissan dealerships where I used to live in VA, and he gave me internet quote just over $41k. The markup was an extra $2895. I was like....?? Man, what are you smoking? Even without the market, he didn't give a good price.

Tried to say it was some market adjustment because they couldn't keep them on the lot. HOWEVER, the other big Nissan dealership in the same area didn't have that markup.....same area, same market, hugely different price, go figure.
That is simply ridiculous! I lived in N. Virginia and know some of the dealerships had huge markups, but that was in a different time. Some dealerships are simply wastling their own time and driving away potential sales.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Shocked....

This is crazy! I bought my 2002 for $22.5k with a sticker price of $27,155. I paid $1K under invoice.

I just can not see me paying $35K+ for a Maxima!! I hope I have realistic dealers here (Philly)
Old 11-15-2008, 08:24 PM

09 Max Navy Blue w/ Tan 32k

I just took delivery of my new 09 Max with tan leather and tech package for 32K, which was some 2k under invoice and something like 4k under sticker.

There are deals to be made, you just need to look...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boots
This is crazy! I bought my 2002 for $22.5k with a sticker price of $27,155. I paid $1K under invoice.

I just can not see me paying $35K+ for a Maxima!! I hope I have realistic dealers here (Philly)

Boots - Time and place are important here. I have seen brand new '08 Maximas for sale at Atlanta area dealers for $17,995 this past week. Of course that is WAY below invoice. And I am seeing new '09 Maxima 'S's for sale at Atlanta dealers for $24,885, also well below invoice. The clincher is that most folks here are getting their LOADED '09s for $35K and under, not the $41K mentioned in the earlier post.

But the '09 Maxima has been taken pretty far 'upstream' from the 5th gen (which was a good car; I loved my 5th gen). There are many things in this '09 that were not on the 5th gen. A loaded '09 is actually in many ways a luxury car, although still a very sporty handling vehicle.

We are also talking a considerable rise in prices for almost everything from eggs to bacon since the '02 arrived. I would feel the '02 price on a car equivalent to this '09 Maxima (had one been available back then) would probably be pretty much the price that Nissan is asking for the '09, which now that many dealers are selling below invoice, is a very good bargain.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 PM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

2009, SV Sport + Tech, MSRP $37,415, plus ~$600 in "extras". Paid invoice, at $34,300, they threw in free Wheel & Tire Protection (~$500) and Free Roadside (don't know retail), plus four free oil changes. Even let me drive the car for two days prior to making the deal to give me time to make sure I wanted it... I early termed two Infinitis (2007 G35S and 2008 G37S) due to divorce... so I wanted to make sure it was something I wanted. Picked up a Navy Blue on Charcoal. To be honest, it technology is more advanced than either of my Gs were... I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! ^_^
Old 11-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Leased a "S" yesterday, for $298/month + tax for 24 months. Me <3 short leases.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm amazed Koeppel Nissan in Queens has been able to stay in business this long. They consistently have the highest prices around and they are the ultimate crooks. Their so-called "Internet Dept" is another joke to be had. I dealt with them twice years apart and still same joke. They will give you a price, in writing, then you when you come back 24hrs later, they give you some lame story about why they can no longer honor that price. In any event, I think most NYers should check out Great Neck Nissan on Nothern Blvd (the other end on LI). They have some really good deals going.

Back in July, I got a Rogue w/all options except leather for 22K- Invoice was near 25 and no hassle. I went to look at some Maximas this week end and this is what they offered -> Take over my remaining lease (FX35 w/3 pmts left) at no charge, get me into an 08 Maxima SV+Prem for 34K. That was one heck of a deal but just couldnt do it. I wanna take a break from car notes for a quick while.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Anyone In So cal know of a good dealer? Im in Long Beach, and every dealer around me has a sticker between $39k and $42k. I went to try and work numbers with one today, and I walked away when they told me there is no way anyone can get a SV Premium+Tech under $37k which is what I was looking to get, around $33k-$34k. I laughed at the idiots with a $42k sticker! they had a $5k mark up. so theyre price was still $37k?!

I heard from a ex-Nissan salesman that the invoice on a SV Premium+Tech was just under $34k (it was like $33,499 or somethin like that) This sound right to you guys?

Last edited by shatterpruf; 11-17-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by shatterpruf
Anyone In So cal know of a good dealer? Im in Long Beach, and every dealer around me has a sticker between $39k and $42k. I went to try and work numbers with one today, and I walked away when they told me there is no way anyone can get a SV Premium+Tech under $37k which is what I was looking to get, around $33k-$34k. I laughed at the idiots with a $42k sticker! they had a $5k mark up. so theyre price was still $37k?!

I heard from a ex-Nissan salesman that the invoice on a SV Premium+Tech was just under $34k (it was like $33,499 or somethin like that) This sound right to you guys?
According to CarsDirect, http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

Its $35,390.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by ironchefigor
According to CarsDirect, http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

Its $35,390.
Thanx for that info. Now is that invoice price, or their discount price if we buy through them?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Here out west (Denver, CO) there's a $2-3K discount from Maxima MSRPs (depending on model and option packages) at area dealers. They usually make back $500-800 on the "documentation and prep" fees alone. Is this fee now universal across the country?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura
They usually make back $500-800 on the "documentation and prep" fees alone. Is this fee now universal across the country?

My dealer has had a 'Dealer services. prep, doc' fee at leats the last dozen years. It was $499 from 1997 till at least 2007. I haven't looked closely at his add-on window sticker lately to see if it has gone up. Every time I glance at that add-on sticker he has on his '09 Maximas, I see his $3,600 'Market Adjustment' charge and my mind goes too numb to see anything else.

The dealers actually do quite a bit of unpacking protective things, cleaning up the car, checking out everything, and there is paperwork involved. But anything over around $200 in that fee is indeed profit. Where he makes a little more money is in the dealer holdback, which he gets from Nissan after the car has sold. That holdback is between $537 and $600, depending on which version of the '09 Maxima is involved.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The dealers actually do quite a bit of unpacking protective things, cleaning up the car, checking out everything, and there is paperwork involved. But anything over around $200 in that fee is indeed profit. Where he makes a little more money is in the dealer holdback, which he gets from Nissan after the car has sold. That holdback is between $537 and $600, depending on which version of the '09 Maxima is involved.
Good information. But for the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI), Nissan actually pays the dealer to prep the car after delivery. Each technician turns in a worksheet and the dealership in turn submits it to Nissan corporate for reimbursement. So dealerships turned to the "documentation fee" as another way to turn out a few more bucks.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:51 PM

Good information. But for the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI), Nissan actually pays the dealer to prep the car after delivery. Each technician turns in a worksheet and the dealership in turn submits it to Nissan corporate for reimbursement. So dealerships turned to the "documentation fee" as another way to turn out a few more bucks.

dkmura - I hope you are right on this, because, based on your post, I just moved 80% of my dealer's document fee over into the 'profit for dealer' column on the latest offer sheet I am preparing.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:40 PM

Good luck! The doc fee should properly be placed in the dealer profit area. In Denver, some dealers have claimed the fee is "required under state law". Researching the Colorado dealer regulations, what it says is that dealers are allowed to chanrge extra fees, but only if they do it without discrimination. In other words, everybody is fair game...
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM

09 Max SV Premium

Picked it up today.
Mats wheellocks trunk tray blah blah OTD 32645
Glick Nissan, Westboro, MA
Great experience.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:35 PM

I paid 33,750 for mine. I have the Mystic Jade with the Tech and Cold Package. I love it more and more everyday.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 AM

It was a lot easier to negotiate when they were trying to sell me a car with the premium package when I only wanted the technology package. They didn't want to dx the car I actually wanted because it wouldn't count as a unit for them.

There are great deals out there, especially now with the big three struggling.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM

Around the DC beltway prices are almost the same for the SV\Sport package $35++. I was thinking of acquiring one but then I thought that is too much money for a Maxima. I could get a nicer luxury sedan for a bit more.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BETO6700
Around the DC beltway prices are almost the same for the SV\Sport package $35++. I was thinking of acquiring one but then I thought that is too much money for a Maxima. I could get a nicer luxury sedan for a bit more.

A true luxury sedan will cost more than a 'bit' more. Folks are driving these '09 Maximas off the lot for under $35K (some for WELL under), and truth be known, if you drive one of these '09s, you will find it is luxury in all but name. Several here have driven both the '09 Maxima and the G35, and found the Maxima is generally preferable to the G35. And you certainly don't want to get into one of those mechanically unreliable Teutonics (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc).

You may have missed Nissan's long-announced plan to take the Maxima to 'upscale' flagship status. Well, they have. It is no longer 'just a Maxima'.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:27 AM

A true luxury sedan will cost more than a 'bit' more. Folks are driving these '09 Maximas off the lot for under $35K (some for WELL under), and truth be known, if you drive one of these '09s, you will find it is luxury in all but name. Several here have driven both the '09 Maxima and the G35, and found the Maxima is generally preferable to the G35. And you certainly don't want to get into one of those mechanically unreliable Teutonics (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc).

You may have missed Nissan's long-announced plan to take the Maxima to 'upscale' flagship status. Well, they have. It is no longer 'just a Maxima'.
Lets not throw around baseless insults. I can't speak for the other Germans, but before my Max, I had 2 Audis. 0 Problems with either of them, and I drove them hard.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Lets not throw around baseless insults. I can't speak for the other Germans, but before my Max, I had 2 Audis. 0 Problems with either of them, and I drove them hard.

ironchefigor - 'baseless insults'? How about cold reality? Have you looked at any reliability tables? Evidently not. There are many places to check this, but I prefer Consumer Reports, because they are getting their info from dozens of thousands of drivers.

You may have had an Audi that was reliable, but sadly, most Audi drivers weren't nearly as lucky. In the CU reliability records for the last six model years, Audis have 42 black ***** (much worse than average) and 39 half-black ***** (worse than average).

I'm not sure which Audi you drove, but we will take the A4, which, although more expensive than the Maxima, is most comparable. 18 black ***** and 11 half-black *****. This is not good.

BMWs did no better, and Mercedes did much worse. But all were clearly worse than the Maxima, which totaled 7 black ***** and 5 half-black ***** during the same six year period.

I can recall a time when German engineering was legendary for its strength and reliability. But the passing of each year moves those memories further back into the mists of time.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM

ironchefigor - 'baseless insults'? How about cold reality? Have you looked at any reliability tables? Evidently not. There are many places to check this, but I prefer Consumer Reports, because they are getting their info from dozens of thousands of drivers.

You may have had an Audi that was reliable, but sadly, most Audi drivers weren't nearly as lucky. In the CU reliability records for the last six model years, Audis have 42 black ***** (much worse than average) and 39 half-black ***** (worse than average).

I'm not sure which Audi you drove, but we will take the A4, which, although more expensive than the Maxima, is most comparable. 18 black ***** and 11 half-black *****. This is not good.

BMWs did no better, and Mercedes did much worse. But all were clearly worse than the Maxima, which totaled 7 black ***** and 5 half-black ***** during the same six year period.

I can recall a time when German engineering was legendary for its strength and reliability. But the passing of each year moves those memories further back into the mists of time.
I just know from experience, I had 2 A4's with 0 problems. Also had numerous friends with 0 problems too. As well as numerous people on the Audi message boards also reporting 0 problems. True there was a time when Audi's weren't the most reliable, but as of I'd say 2006+, all the models have been fairly problem free.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 AM

I just know from experience, I had 2 A4's with 0 problems. Also had numerous friends with 0 problems too. As well as numerous people on the Audi message boards also reporting 0 problems. True there was a time when Audi's weren't the most reliable, but as of I'd say 2006+, all the models have been fairly problem free.

I have had only wonderful experiences with my '04 Maxima. So has my neighbor. So has my sister-in-law. But according to Consumer Reports, that particular vehicle was prone to suspension, fuel system and audio problems. I tend to believe CR.

I have had wonderful experiences with all my Maximas (have owned nothing else since 1984), and drove one of my '85s 206,000 miles, trading it in back in the '90s, and I still sometimes see it tooling around town, looking really good. That is VERY LONG-TERM reliability, which Audi has never shown.

I rechecked CR, and it does seem A4 reliability improved overall from worse-than-average to average beginning with the '06. Not up to Maxima level of course, but better than most Germanic vehicles. I haven't been in the '09 A4, but the back seat of both the '04 and '08 A4s was much snugger than my Maxima's back seat, and I have children and grandchildren.

The problem we face when trying to compare the A4 to any other vehicle is that it has so many combinations of power plants, drive wheels, three different trannies, etc. The version CR tested had an 8.3 0 to 60 time. Of course stronger engines are available. But then CR says the top end A4 has a price of $81,900. That is sorta beyond '09 Maxima territory, which, in base form, is being advertised for $24,977 by Sutherland Nissan, and about the same by Gwinnett Place Nissan in the Atlanta area.

The killers for me with the A4 were the tight back seat, the strange grille, questionable long-term reliability, bland styling (subjective, of course), and the fact a version equipped with all the features I want/require (heated steering wheel, air conditioned driver's seat, etc) was well beyond what I intended to spend, and well beyond the Maxima's price range.

But I'm sure some folks will be very happy with the A4.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:30 AM

The sad truth is that the quality of German autos is not where it should be. The only exception I think is Porsche.

This is not to bash German cars. They are still the best in styling, engineering, and execution. Given their popularity, they are also no slouch in brand development. If I buy a German vehicle, it will be due to the prestige of the brands and the lively driving experience. I will then hold my nose and keep my checkbook ready to pay for the inevitable repairs.

For every person who has had no problems with German cars, there are a host of people with many problems. Light pointed this out in his reference to Consumer's Report. Example: My friend had a new BMW in which the floorboard cracked. This struck me as a very odd defect and it underscores the quality problems BMW has. The cracked floorboard was repaired under warranty.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just purchased an '09 3.5S Dark Slate with floor and trunk mats for $26,299. My county tax rate is 8.25%, so the total OTD was $28,7XX. I didn't purchase an extended warranty or any other back end offers, but I did get a free first oil change.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
JG!
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys I'm new here, Just came across the site while I was looking for some mods for my car. Any way nice to see a lot Maxima enthusiast out there.

I was leasing a 2007 Maxima SE that i just returned. Now I am driving a 09 Maxima that I bought 2 weeks ago. I got a great deal on it. With my Lockheed Martin discount I ended up purchasing it for $28,647.18.

09 Maxima SV, white frost, charcoal leather, sport package + sport tech package.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JG!
Hey guys I'm new here, Just came across the site while I was looking for some mods for my car. Any way nice to see a lot Maxima enthusiast out there.

I was leasing a 2007 Maxima SE that i just returned. Now I am driving a 09 Maxima that I bought 2 weeks ago. I got a great deal on it. With my Lockheed Martin discount I ended up purchasing it for $28,647.18.

09 Maxima SV, white frost, charcoal leather, sport package + sport tech package.
Welxome JG! And congrats on your A36 purchase. Was your work discount part of the VPP program? It's an impressive price and I'm curious what your MSRP was?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM

If I'm configuring this correctly on the Nissan USA website, JG's SV + Sport package + sport tech package = $38,105 (with destination and handling charges).That's almost a $10K discount from what he paid!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
JG!
Newbie - Just Registered

If I'm configuring this correctly on the Nissan USA website, JG's SV + Sport package + sport tech package = $38,105 (with destination and handling charges).That's almost a $10K discount from what he paid!
Thats about right. My company discounts are amazing, you should see some of the other stuff they offer me.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by JG!
Thats about right. My company discounts are amazing, you should see some of the other stuff they offer me.
Are your company discounts part of the Nissan VPP plan? Or are they negotiated separately for L-M employees only?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
JG!
Newbie - Just Registered

Are your company discounts part of the Nissan VPP plan? Or are they negotiated separately for L-M employees only?
LM employes only. You might ask your employer about discounts. My brother works for a local dairy and they gave a discount on his Ford truck.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Nissan VPP is the factory buying program and offers discounts for employees and their families. If you work for a company affiliated in some way with Nissan, you may also qualify for a smaller discount. With the current market, I'm not sure if there's any appreciable difference in what many consumers can get by just asking!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:34 AM

I was lurking in this forum since the introduction of 7th gen. Proud owner of 4th gen since 1996 (1995 SE 5 speed), I was not going to get rid of it, until it would stop moving. At the rate I was going, it was going to last me at least another year or two. Which would give me a chance to get a second year, or possibly the diesel. Going home last monday, I hit a deer and the car was totalled.

I was allset on buying Maxima, until I read somebody's posting about deals going on for Infinity G35. I test drove both cars, and gotta tell you, it is close. What swayed my decision to Maxima is: 1. fuel milage (19-26 max, 17-23 g35), 2. Maxima is larger inside (though the specs say otherwise), 3. There are only 4 Infinity dealerships in CT (compared to many more Nissan).

Until I made my decision I was getting quotes for both the Max and G35x. I could have bought g35x with premium and nav for 32700, thats how good of a deals are out there MSRP 40k+.

But now I am a proud owner of Frost White/Charcoal 09 Maxima SV Premium, Premium tech package, Rear spoiler, Splash guards, Floor Mats.
Car price 33701. (does not include DOC 299, Reg 85, Taxes at 6%). Out of the door for around 36100. MSRP on the car was 39575.

CT dealers were crazy, lots of deals to be had. I got mine from Bruce Bennett in Wilton. (Scott was my salesman, good man).

The car is Da Bomb. I am a techno freak, and it took me a while how to get everything going

I will drink today for new Max lasting me the next 12 years, like the last one! To close I would like to make this funny comment. My name is Maxim. In russian, "car Maxima" means a car that belongs to Max.

Happy turkey day everybody

Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxud,

What dealer offered you that price?
That's the best deal I've seen.

Congrats on your new purchase!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by maxman06
Maxud,

What dealer offered you that price?
That's the best deal I've seen.

Congrats on your new purchase!
I assume you are asking about g35, it was infinity of Manhasset in Long Island. The info about the nissan dealer is in the original post.
Max
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
I assume you are asking about g35, it was infinity of Manhasset in Long Island. The info about the nissan dealer is in the original post.
Max
So cost for your SV premium + tech + spoiler Max was right at $34K, including the documentation fee.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
Max

I also want to know which CT dealer you bought your maxima at.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It was mentioned in his original post and if you do a google search, you'll come up with:

Bruce Bennett Nissan 978 Danbury Rd
Wilton, CT 06897

Quick Reply: How much did you pay? *New car shopper*