7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

g35 sedan vs 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by sciff5
All the Gs sold in new england are AWD. So no need at all for snow tires. you can go everywhere in new england on the worst days with the stock all seasons that came with the car
I know this is an older post but I find it concerning when people speak with this kind of ignorance on an important subject.

Firstly: AWD does not replace the benefit of snow tires. AWD is designed to help the car get better traction during acceleration. That is it. That is the extent of what AWD does for you. It will NOT help you brake better. (In fact the extra weight of an AWD drivetrain means you will probably need more distance to brake than the same car with the same tires that has an RWD or FWD drivetrain.)

Secondly: 4 wheels spinning with all season tires does not always get better traction than 2 wheels spinning with snow tires. (I have experienced this by driving AWD cars with all seasons and FWD cars with snow tires. I have also passed by AWD cars at a stop light that were spinning their wheels, that looked to have all seasons, while in my 09 Max with nice fat snow tires. The difference in traction was obvious.)

Thirdly: To clarify more in the hopes someone will learn something. Having AWD will not make your car handle a turn better or brake faster. It can help you go around a turn faster and grip more when accelerating around a turn. But if you are making emergency maneuvers in which you would logically let off the gas for maximum traction, AWD will offer you no benefit over FWD or RWD. But the type of tires you have on will make a big difference.

A few days back during a heavy snowfall here in Ontario I was outperforming many other cars on the freeway in my snow tire equipped Max, notably including a G37x that must have had all seasons. And other AWD vehicles as well. Because I had snow tires. Not only that but the Maxima has fatter tires than other FWD cars I have driven. And it is the only reason I can imagine for why it performs better in snow than any FWD car I have ever driven.

One thing that really surprised me, was when I stopped behind an Audi A6 at a light. When the light turned green both of us had our tires spinning and I could tell that he was accelerating as fast as he was able and so was I. But I stayed directly behind him. And he never pulled ahead at all. Now I assumed he had all seasons, but when I passed by him he had the black, generic rims you would expect to see on snow tires. So I can only assume that my snow tires were just newer as otherwise he should have pulled ahead noticeably from me.

Don't underestimate the power of your rubber.
Don't overestimate the power of AWD.

Last edited by Celidor; 02-11-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Celidor
I know this is an older post but I find it concerning when people speak with this kind of ignorance on an important subject.

Firstly: AWD does not replace the benefit of snow tires. AWD is designed to help the car get better traction during acceleration. That is it. That is the extent of what AWD does for you. It will NOT help you brake better. (In fact the extra weight of an AWD drivetrain means you will probably need more distance to brake than the same car with the same tires that has an RWD or FWD drivetrain.)

Secondly: 4 wheels spinning with all season tires does not always get better traction than 2 wheels spinning with snow tires. (I have experienced this by driving AWD cars with all seasons and FWD cars with snow tires. I have also passed by AWD cars at a stop light that were spinning their wheels, that looked to have all seasons, while in my 09 Max with nice fat snow tires. The difference in traction was obvious.)

Thirdly: To clarify more in the hopes someone will learn something. Having AWD will not make your car handle a turn better or brake faster. It can help you go around a turn faster and grip more when accelerating around a turn. But if you are making emergency maneuvers in which you would logically let off the gas for maximum traction, AWD will offer you no benefit over FWD or RWD. But the type of tires you have on will make a big difference.

A few days back during a heavy snowfall here in Ontario I was outperforming many other cars on the freeway in my snow tire equipped Max, notably including a G37x that must have had all seasons. And other AWD vehicles as well. Because I had snow tires. Not only that but the Maxima has fatter tires than other FWD cars I have driven. And it is the only reason I can imagine for why it performs better in snow than any FWD car I have ever driven.

One thing that really surprised me, was when I stopped behind an Audi A6 at a light. When the light turned green both of us had our tires spinning and I could tell that he was accelerating as fast as he was able and so was I. But I stayed directly behind him. And he never pulled ahead at all. Now I assumed he had all seasons, but when I passed by him he had the black, generic rims you would expect to see on snow tires. So I can only assume that my snow tires were just newer as otherwise he should have pulled ahead noticeably from me.

Don't underestimate the power of your rubber.
Don't overestimate the power of AWD.
The reason a FWD cars like a Maxima do well in snow is because most of the car weight is over the front wheel thus giving it more traction. However, an AWD with snow tires is still supperior to FWD with snow tires.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I gotta agree with Celidor. I was behind an impreza wagon yesterday at a stop light on a slight incline. Of course the roads were snow covered after the 30" we got on Friday/Saturday.

When the light turned green, we both hit the gas. All for of his wheels were spinning like crazy and I actually had to let off the gas so I wouldnt rear end him. I do have snow tires on my max and I assume he didnt.

The other thing that plays into it is the driver. I know that static friction is greater than kinetic friction (sliding friction). I kept my wheels from spinning and he was spinning his a lot. That in combination with my snow tires are the reasons I accelerated better than him.

But getting off topic here......
The max and G are both nice cars. The G has an advantage in most categories, acceleration, handling, more refined interior. But the max is a bigger car.

The aesthetics are all personal opinion.....I personally think the max is better looking. Its more aggressive looking and I never liked the headlights on the G's going back to the first G35 coupe.

Last edited by vball_max; 02-11-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Snow tires make all the difference. My daughters 03 Maxima has snow tires and that car's a beast in the snow. My wife's 2010 TL SH-AWD(SOLD) had snow tires and was unstoppable. My 97 4Runner has snow tires as well.
The thing is that it kicks my but to have to change tires for the season. My basement looks like a Town Fair Tire shop.