7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! I'm new here and have a question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM

can you replace/move the amber monotone screen and replace it with an aftermarket 2 din unit?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got my windows tinted on my 09 maxima. 35/20. This was as dark as the dealership would go. I figured i wanted someone who normally did these cars to work on mine even though i would have rather gone darker. Anyway, the rear tint seems to have a very thin pocket of air that follows the defroster lines. Is this normal?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Question on GPS

I own a 4 day old 09 Dark Slate with Premium Tech. Anyway, does anybody know how to set the GPS so that it tells you at what exact time you will be arriving at your destination? All I see is minutes and miles left until I arrive but I'm use to my Garmin that gives the exact time of arrival. Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 05:31 AM

I am not aware of any way to show that at this time. When I got my Maxima I was excited about it being my first car with Nav, then that excitement quickly faded when I realized my 3 year old portable Magellen GPS unit, had a better looking display and better "driving instructions".

July 4th weekend I will be taken a "day trip" which shall require the use of some Nav. assist, so I am taking my old portable one, along with the one the car has to see how well it will do.

What I don't like is when the car says something like, "Part of your route is on incomplete map areas, so there will be no voice guidance.", but yet you look at the screen and all of the plots are there, then you have to keep looking and keep eye on things and figure out when to turn.

I doubt that there will ever be an update to the map system for free to fix these issues.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ovilla
Question on GPS

I own a 4 day old 09 Dark Slate with Premium Tech. Anyway, does anybody know how to set the GPS so that it tells you at what exact time you will be arriving at your destination? All I see is minutes and miles left until I arrive but I'm use to my Garmin that gives the exact time of arrival. Thanks
For some reason I have heard a lot of bad things about the Nav in the 09 max. In my 08, I have a Garmin and it is sooooo good. I can't believe how reliable it is. Gives traffic updates and real good directions. And yeah, time of arrival, it shows that too!

It should be ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), not exact time of arrival!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 09Maxima_Sam
I am not aware of any way to show that at this time. When I got my Maxima I was excited about it being my first car with Nav, then that excitement quickly faded when I realized my 3 year old portable Magellen GPS unit, had a better looking display and better "driving instructions".

July 4th weekend I will be taken a "day trip" which shall require the use of some Nav. assist, so I am taking my old portable one, along with the one the car has to see how well it will do.

What I don't like is when the car says something like, "Part of your route is on incomplete map areas, so there will be no voice guidance.", but yet you look at the screen and all of the plots are there, then you have to keep looking and keep eye on things and figure out when to turn.

I doubt that there will ever be an update to the map system for free to fix these issues.

Do the comparism and let me know. So I have an idea of how reliable the factory Nav is compared to high-end portable navs, like mine. I wonder if your magellan is a high-end one too. I would like to know the results, though.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
TBA

I looove my Garmin Nuvi 660, with the traffic information. There are a number of things it does better than the nav system in my 09 Max. But as far as accuracy of arrival time, I think it is considerably more accurate then my Garmin. The nuvi will continually update the arrival time, adjusting back a minute or two at a time. I learned to add a few minutes to the ETA. The Max seems to be very steady from the outset.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Headrest Monitors

Has anybody found headrest monitors that fit the new 09' headrests? I have the cafe latte leather and am looking to either buy replacement headrests with monitors already installed or maybe get some Alpine 7" screens put into my current headrests. The only problem is that the factory headrests aren't that wide so I'll need to find some Nissan factory leather to make new wider headrests out of the old ones.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Looking for a Haynes (or any other service manual)

Anybody have any luck finding anything yet for the 09' model Maxima?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by nickd79
I just got my windows tinted on my 09 maxima. 35/20. This was as dark as the dealership would go. I figured i wanted someone who normally did these cars to work on mine even though i would have rather gone darker. Anyway, the rear tint seems to have a very thin pocket of air that follows the defroster lines. Is this normal?
this is normal until the water used to apply the tint dries.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by ovilla
Looking for a Haynes (or any other service manual)

Anybody have any luck finding anything yet for the 09' model Maxima?
Have you seen and downloaded the 2009 Maxima Nissan Service Manual at http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

You need to drill down to get the ones you want, but I just went and saved all 57 or so pdfs to my harddrive.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by nickd79
Yes its normal. Its actually water trapped under there. The defroster lines are similar to the dot matrix around the edge and the tint wont stick to them. Once the water dries out you can squeegee the tint again and it should stick around the dot matrix and around the defroster lines. On the other hand, if it is actually an air bubble, then its a bad install and you may have to break out a needle to release the air.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got the 09 Maxima S. I am trying to hook up my amp and subs. All wires have been run but I just need to know what are the rear speaker +/- wire colors for my line output converter. I have looked all over the place but can not find a simple color wiring diagram for the rear speakers.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM

The answer is in the service manual, just look two posts above yours. Trace the wire colors to those terminals.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 09 Maxima, and I am about to purchase some wheels to go along with it.
I have picked a lexani rim, but I cannot decide whether I want 20s or 22s. The real question is can I fit 22s on it confortably, 22x9.5 . . . any and all input is appreciated. Thanks guys.
-Tim
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Hmmmmm... I guess "Digi-Shield" must be a local dealer thing. No replies yet....
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought a slightly used 2009 Maxima S and I love it's looks and performance. I'd like to add XM radio to it. Looking for input on the cleanest factory looking way to do it wit the S model as I've never had XM before.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steering wheel problem....

I have the 2009 maxima, had it for a little over a year now. Yesterday, my steering wheel stop adjusting up and down and now when I turn off my car and open my door, it just makes this sound like its trying to move up. I will be going to the dealership tomorrow to have this looked at. Have any of you seen this problem before?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have an 09 CVT, I have a problem with the memory unit not remembering my steering wheel position when my girlfriend uses her setting and vice versa. Sometimes a 3 inch differnce. Anybody have this problem? Or can you help?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Memory Unit

I have a 09 CVT and it seems to lose the memory position of the steering wheel position (up/down) when I use the differnt settings (girlfriend setting). Any help, anyone seen this problem?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by timbd44
Hello All,
I recently purchased a 09 Maxima, and I am about to purchase some wheels to go along with it.
I have picked a lexani rim, but I cannot decide whether I want 20s or 22s. The real question is can I fit 22s on it confortably, 22x9.5 . . . any and all input is appreciated. Thanks guys.
-Tim

I'm not into changing rims, but thought I would mention that if you go with 22" rims, you will need to go with a very low profile tire (maybe 30 profile?) in order to maintain proper fender clearance. Several folks here on the ORG have done that, and most like what they did. But with a very low profile tire you get what many folks would consider a very firm ride.

The 22 inchers are for really sharp looks, and (despite what some eternal optimists here say) could be touchy when turning sharply into driveways through gutters or driving on bad roads, etc. The 20 inchers should look fine, and should be OK for driving the car as it was meant to be driven.

You will find strong membership in both the 20" and 22" camps here on the ORG.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oman
I have the 2009 maxima, had it for a little over a year now. Yesterday, my steering wheel stop adjusting up and down and now when I turn off my car and open my door, it just makes this sound like its trying to move up. I will be going to the dealership tomorrow to have this looked at. Have any of you seen this problem before?

I see most of the problems here, and do not recall seeing this exact problem before. Since you can hear a sound sort of like the wheel is trying to move up, it sounds like something (hopefully just a screw or bolt) has come loose, allowing two parts to move far enough apart that a gear is no longer in contact with the cog it is trying to move. This is definitely a warranty fix that the service department should be able to handle. Keep us informed.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by madbaird
I have an 09 CVT, I have a problem with the memory unit not remembering my steering wheel position when my girlfriend uses her setting and vice versa. Sometimes a 3 inch differnce. Anybody have this problem? Or can you help?

I'm not sure what is going on here, but my wife and I had a few problems in this area until we stopped making minor adjustments with the seats as were were driving down the highway. We finally reset both our seat and mirror settings from scratch, and things have been fine since then. Be sure you change between settings with the engine running and the tranny in park. At least that is what works for us.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I'm not sure what is going on here, but my wife and I had a few problems in this area until we stopped making minor adjustments with the seats as were were driving down the highway. We finally reset both our seat and mirror settings from scratch, and things have been fine since then. Be sure you change between settings with the engine running and the tranny in park. At least that is what works for us.

I have also seen the steering wheel position problem.

I had the problem for a little bit, it went away for a few weeks. The other day I reset my mirror and seat position, now the problem comes back on occasion. I reset the Memory position 1 for myself and so far no problem.

When I first noticed the problem, I thought that perhaps I was setting in the seat differently, and that was why the steering wheel seemed in a lower position. Later I figured out the truth. It's sort of re-assuring in some weird way, that other folks are noticing this problem as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy

I see most of the problems here, and do not recall seeing this exact problem before. Since you can hear a sound sort of like the wheel is trying to move up, it sounds like something (hopefully just a screw or bolt) has come loose, allowing two parts to move far enough apart that a gear is no longer in contact with the cog it is trying to move. This is definitely a warranty fix that the service department should be able to handle. Keep us informed..

I took my Maxima to the dealer today and they have to replace the whole steering wheel column because it comes as one unit. For the last three days the steering wheel continued to try to adjust up when I turn the car off and get out, but now it no longer tries, it just stays in the same position. I can still adjust the steering wheel back and forth but not up and down. I am not happy about this at all. I did buy the extended warranty so I am ok as far as getting it fixed. I thought maybe it would have been a fuse or something because this weekend I was at the dealer to get an oil change and had a fused changed out to make my lighter outlet work again. I will keep you all informed on the repairs and anything else I learn about this problem. The guy at the dealership said, this is the first time he seen this problem but he described other problems that he have seen.

Last edited by Oman; 07-16-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:54 AM

wrong answer on wrong thread. Never Mind.

Last edited by 09Maxima_Sam; 07-16-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, just joined the form. I just picked up a 09 navy blue with sports package. I have two questions. First has any one put 35/20 tints on there car and if so how does it look. I had all 20% before on my altima and i got pulled over a few times, so was thinking of making the front a little lighter but don"t know how it will look.

Second when you put the car in park the doors don"t open automatically is there any way to set it up so they do. I know they close when you go over 20 mph, but they don"t open unless you turn the car off, any way to change that.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:11 PM

2001 nissan maxima se transmission problems hard shifting on auto

I have a 2001 nissan maxima se with 109000 miles on it. When i accelerate at a high speed it doesnt move. When i go up an incline it shifts hard and barley moves. The fluid was filled alll the way up and there is a cut tube leading to no where. Any ideas comment!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kingeddy
.....Second when you put the car in park the doors don"t open automatically is there any way to set it up so they do. I know they close when you go over 20 mph, but they don"t open unless you turn the car off, any way to change that.
Yes that is covered in the owners manual look for automatic door lock functions. It can be programmed to suit your tastes. You will not find it in the DVD Nav settings or such.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took my Maxima to the dealer today and they have to replace the whole steering wheel column because it comes as one unit. For the last three days the steering wheel continued to try to adjust up when I turn the car off and get out, but now it no longer tries, it just stays in the same position. I can still adjust the steering wheel back and forth but not up and down. I am not happy about this at all. I did buy the extended warranty so I am ok as far as getting it fixed. I thought maybe it would have been a fuse or something because this weekend I was at the dealer to get an oil change and had a fused changed out to make my lighter outlet work again. I will keep you all informed on the repairs and anything else I learn about this problem. The guy at the dealership said, this is the first time he seen this problem but he described other problems that he have seen.
Well the part I need is on Back Order and I was told today that the earliest they may recieve it is next week.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 AM

Well the part I need is on Back Order and I was told today that the earliest they may recieve it is next week.

This 'back order' stuff gets worse every year. In a way, it is dishonest, because we know the assembly line has not stopped waiting on 'back order' parts. Nissan has every part needed to build dozens of Maximas every day. All parts for the Maxima should be available at several points around the country, easily accessible to dealers in the area. They just choose to have an out-of-date replacement part system that is not serving customers well. Practices like this will catch up with them at some point.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Hello everyone! I just got my SV Premium last week, have already done the LED interior light mod and now looking for anyone looking to sell their mint condition OEM 19" sport wheel and tires. I like some of the other aftermarket rims, especially the Vulkans, but I leased the car and I didn't want any hassles when I turned it back in. I checked out the classified section but I would rather deal with someone local, and I didn't want to hijack someone's ad. I'm in Atlanta, but travel to NC, SC, and AL frequently. As soon as I purchase new rims and tires I will be selling the 18's, currently has only 200 miles on them. Really loving this forum so far!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Navigation system

Hey guys just wanted to know if any one bought a after market navigation for there 09 maxima and installed. I need to get a navigation for work but don"t know what kind to get and how to install it so it looks nice and can be removed. Anybody has any ideas.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Talking OK, Newbie to the Site Here too! Dash Display Question!!

Hey Guys,

Been reading through the various forums, and am looking forward to digging deeper into the site, as it seems like an Awesome resource. Anyway, on to my question:

Does anyone kknow if you can change the dash display on a non Nav sport pkg Maxima, from the 1980's Atari looking screen, to a full color screen? WTF was nissan thinking with this POS display? My 2006 Murano S had a better (full color) HVAC/Audio Display, and it had base model everything... Don't really care about the Navi, or Touchscreen... but would like a display that looks like it belongs in a 2009 car, not in a bad SciFi movie from the 80's.

Just seems like a HUGE oversight to me on NISSAN'S part on an otherwise beautiful car... if they could do it in '06 (on a base madel no less) then I am sure they could have done it in '09 on thier flagship sedan!

If its possible, I'd appreciate any insight. If Not, any ideas on how to pick up a OEM Navi system at a reasonable price?

Thanks All!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have been looking at the 09 Max for awhile and have a question.What does the stock stereo on the S sound like??I cant afford the Sv and Bose,So Ill have to settle on the S model.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kmad61
I have been looking at the 09 Max for awhile and have a question.What does the stock stereo on the S sound like??I cant afford the Sv and Bose,So Ill have to settle on the S model.
I have heard both, I have SV and my friend has S. There i a difference. The sound is better on the SV. It all depends also how you listen to music. I like base and you notice a big difference in the two. I also noticed when you listen to music at high volume it is much clear with the bose then the regular. If you are buying the car i would change the speaker and depending how you like your music maybe add a sub. It will cost you much less then getting the SV.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM

White dust in car - no it's not some fancy drug

I have an 09 maxima. Its black with Black and Tan interior. I am noticing white sports on the doors and by the glove compartment. I can rub them off but they keep coming back. Has anyone had this happening to them ?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by tse54re
I have an 09 maxima. Its black with Black and Tan interior. I am noticing white sports on the doors and by the glove compartment. I can rub them off but they keep coming back. Has anyone had this happening to them ?Thanks

I have not. And I am finicky about every speck of dust. I have a very fine, very soft duster I use every week to clean everything inside the car, and I have never seen anything but the normal fine gray dust, almost invisible to the eyes.

I try to notice every problem posted here on the ORG, and, to my knowledge, you are the first to report these white spots. I will be interested to know the cause.

Meanwhile, can you tell if these spots are also on the rear doors? Or on the seats? Are they in places where you might suspect spores or something may be coming from the AC system? Do you live in a very humid climate? Does anyone in your family have a powdered sugar fetish? Do these spots seem to be growing in place (like mold), or look like they were just deposited there, and are unchanging? Do you and a passenger stop at a Dunkin Donut shop on the way to work? Could grey powder deposits be leaking from bad batteries in a flashlight or other battery-powered device you may have placed in the car? Do you ever drive with the top open in an area where an industry might have white particles emitted from smoke stacks? You have come to the right place for mystery solving. Someone here will find the answer.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-27-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kingeddy
I have heard both, I have SV and my friend has S. There i a difference. The sound is better on the SV. It all depends also how you listen to music. I like base and you notice a big difference in the two. I also noticed when you listen to music at high volume it is much clear with the bose then the regular. If you are buying the car i would change the speaker and depending how you like your music maybe add a sub. It will cost you much less then getting the SV.
One thing to be mindful of is, when you change the speakers in the car, you loose the manufactured ability for the volume to auto increase as your driving speed increase. Just something to think about!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Red face

This 'back order' stuff gets worse every year. In a way, it is dishonest, because we know the assembly line has not stopped waiting on 'back order' parts. Nissan has every part needed to build dozens of Maximas every day. All parts for the Maxima should be available at several points around the country, easily accessible to dealers in the area. They just choose to have an out-of-date replacement part system that is not serving customers well. Practices like this will catch up with them at some point.
The part must have come in over the weekend, I got a call yesterday to drop my car off this morning, so I did. They gave me a crappy Dodge Avenger for a rental. After drving my Maxima for a year, I can really see how crappy this Avenger really is. They expect to be done with my car by this afternoon, I hope so, because I work closer to the dealer than I live. I will let you all know how the repair goes and if there are any anomalies.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm new here and have a question....