7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger floor leaks during car wash with fresh air. this cant be normal, or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 PM

passenger floor leaks during car wash with fresh air. this cant be normal, or is it?

I've owned my 2010 Maxima for about 2 months now. Today, while going through an automatic car wash (one that I had been through many times already with this car), I noticed that some of the water/soap was leaking onto the passenger floor board. It wasn't a whole lot, but enough to notice. Now, this time, I had been running my A/C on high (max fan speed) with fresh/outside air. Normally, I just use the Auto temperature, which I believe still uses fresh air, but it's usually on the lowest or 2nd setting, not maxed out. The only theory I could come up with was the A/C system, which when on fresh mode sucks air from the passenger side outside, sucked in some of the water during the car wash since it was on the max setting. It's just odd to me as I have been through this very same car wash, along with several others, at least once every 5-6 days since I bought the car. I stuck my hand up as far as I could under the passenger dash and could feel the moisture.

Should I be concerned? Keep in mind it has never happened prior to this time, and the only thing I did differently this time was turn off auto, and crank up the fan speed to max with fresh air. In the last few weeks, we've received a TON of rain and this never happened (and I never turned off auto either).

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by wope
I've owned my 2010 Maxima for about 2 months now. Today, while going through an automatic car wash (one that I had been through many times already with this car), I noticed that some of the water/soap was leaking onto the passenger floor board. It wasn't a whole lot, but enough to notice. Now, this time, I had been running my A/C on high (max fan speed) with fresh/outside air. Normally, I just use the Auto temperature, which I believe still uses fresh air, but it's usually on the lowest or 2nd setting, not maxed out. The only theory I could come up with was the A/C system, which when on fresh mode sucks air from the passenger side outside, sucked in some of the water during the car wash since it was on the max setting. It's just odd to me as I have been through this very same car wash, along with several others, at least once every 5-6 days since I bought the car. I stuck my hand up as far as I could under the passenger dash and could feel the moisture.

Should I be concerned? Keep in mind it has never happened prior to this time, and the only thing I did differently this time was turn off auto, and crank up the fan speed to max with fresh air. In the last few weeks, we've received a TON of rain and this never happened (and I never turned off auto either).

Thanks.
The 'Auto' function for your A/C will use 'cabin air' as it's easier to cool already 'cooler' air than it is to cool hot outside air - so what's happening is that your sucking in the 'washwater' through our A/C vent system (which can cause some bad issues - mostly with 'mold' growing in your A/C ducts.)
I ran into the same issue with a 280ZXt that I used to own (that's how I know where the 'auto' air is from vs manual set to outside air.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM

I had this problem with my old 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. After nearly a year of water entering the passenger side during automatic car washes, I found out that during one of my 'fast lube' oil changes, they checked the cabin air filter, and forgot to put it back in.

One of the symptoms I had was when I ran through the car wash, I had the A/C on full, and about 5 min's after the wash, the fan would stop. Once things dried up on its own, the fan would start working again. Turns out water was dripping in through the fan, making it wet and leaking down to the passenger floor. Eventually the fan had to be replaced, which is when they discovered there was no cabin air filter in place.

I'm not even sure where the cabin air filter is on my 2009 Maxima, but its worth a quick check, especially if you have had a "### point inspection" recently. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM

check the drain tubes coming from the windshield area and AC are clear of debris/not clogged. If the drain tube is clogged, teh water will find the next best way "down"
Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Water collects on my passenger side rear floor but it doesn't happen during a car wash. have noticed water 3 times after heavy rain fall. no visible leaks. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 PM

I have been having the problem recently on my 2010 Maxima.

Passenger floor is wet after heavy rain. I pulled the glove box and cleared debris in the sunroof drain tube.

Any other thoughts on what it could be? What other drain lines is there?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bow94z
I have been having the problem recently on my 2010 Maxima.

Passenger floor is wet after heavy rain. I pulled the glove box and cleared debris in the sunroof drain tube.

Any other thoughts on what it could be? What other drain lines is there?

was this ever figured out ? im having the same issues and ran down the check list - sunroof- ac drain hose - door seals - windshield seal