7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Tire Problems

About 2 months ago, my 2009 Max didn't feel right while driving. The low tire light kept coming on. A quick trip to fill up the tires didn't fix it the bad driving feeling but did fix the low tire pressure light. The local dealership said that one of the tires was falling apart and suggested that I get it replaced. I replaced it and my Max started behaving itself. When asked, the dealership that there was no warranty on the tires.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the low tire pressure light again. Filled up all the tires to 35psi only to have the light show up again within 2 days. The passenger front tire was always low. I went to a local tire place to get them to look at the tire.

There is a big *** crack on the inside of the tire near the wheel aboput a foot or so long. It hasn't busted thru but will at anytime. The tire guy asked if I ever drove the car with low tires. NOPE! The lowest I remember that tire being is 22. He said that would not do it. Gotta replace another one. These tires don't even have 35,000 miles on them yet! At over $200 a piece, they should have lasted a hell of lot longer than 35,000 miles!!

These Eagle RS-A tires were the ones that came with the car. These are the WORST TIRES EVER!!!! I may get them all replaced with some Bridgestones. I had them on my 2000 Grand Prix and was real happy with them.

Last edited by TooTawl; 07-06-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 PM

WOW.....I still have the stock tires on my stock rims...but I guess fortunately when I put on my rims I went with different tires that have performed and lasted and are still kicking even with 44,000 miles on em..
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 PM

The Bridgestones were real good tires. I'm going to talk to my tire guy tomorrow.

Last edited by TooTawl; 07-06-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM

About 16,000 miles on my RSA's and they are shot already. That's not a bad thing since they pretty much suck anyway, but still ridiculous. I'm having them replaced on Saturday with the new General G-Max tires. I put Conti Extreme DWS's on my Grand Prix and loved them, but I like to try new things so I figured I would try the new release from Continental's sister company. They've been getting great reviews online from places like Car and Driver and Motortrend.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-Max+AS-03
Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM

I have the Potenza's, they're pretty good I like them.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 AM

if you want, I have 700 miles on my tires, same stock ones. I was looking to get rid of it for $500 if you want.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
About 16,000 miles on my RSA's and they are shot already. That's not a bad thing since they pretty much suck anyway, but still ridiculous. I'm having them replaced on Saturday with the new General G-Max tires. I put Conti Extreme DWS's on my Grand Prix and loved them, but I like to try new things so I figured I would try the new release from Continental's sister company. They've been getting great reviews online from places like Car and Driver and Motortrend.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-Max+AS-03
Tires can be sort of a pot luck thing. Of course driving style and road conditions play a big part in this. Lots of complaints here about RS-As, just as there were about RS-As on the 6th gen board while I was driving my 6th gen.

I got around 35K trouble-free miles before replacing my 6th gen RS-As. 35K is not bad for low profile tires on a sporty car. Unless we are talking about our poster LtLeary, who is driving back and forth across Florida to and from work each day on a freeway. He should get around 70K on his tires.

I have had my '09 for 2 1/2 years as of July 7th, and I still have half the tread on my RS-As with 22.5K miles. Better yet, I have never had to have an alignment or had the tires balanced, yet they ride straight and smooth at well above interstate speed limits.

I was careful to break them in slowly over the first 2400 miles, and I do measure and record the tread depth of every groove across the face of each of the four tires every three months, and adjust psi as necessary in order to keep the tread depth the same between the shoulders of the tires and the middle of the tread.

I plan on getting new tires the last half of 2012. I don't use all the tread on my tires, as shallow grooves increase the chances of hydroplaning. I will probably be replacing these RS-As with Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires at Discount Tire late next year.

I will be interested in seeing whether Nissan changes OEM tire brands for the 8th gen Maxima. But we might have to wait until spring of 2014 to find that out.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM

Sounds cheap as hell but I've been able to find amazing deals at some used tire shops.. last time I bought tires it cost me $120 for all four mounted and balanced and had around 75% or so treadlife left.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by TooTawl
About 2 months ago, my 2009 Max didn't feel right while driving. The low tire light kept coming on. A quick trip to fill up the tires didn't fix it the bad driving feeling but did fix the low tire pressure light. The local dealership said that one of the tires was falling apart and suggested that I get it replaced. I replaced it and my Max started behaving itself. When asked, the dealership that there was no warranty on the tires.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the low tire pressure light again. Filled up all the tires to 35psi only to have the light show up again within 2 days. The passenger front tire was always low. I went to a local tire place to get them to look at the tire.

There is a big *** crack on the inside of the tire near the wheel aboput a foot or so long. It hasn't busted thru but will at anytime. The tire guy asked if I ever drove the car with low tires. NOPE! The lowest I remember that tire being is 22. He said that would not do it. Gotta replace another one. These tires don't even have 35,000 miles on them yet! At over $200 a piece, they should have lasted a hell of lot longer than 35,000 miles!!

These Eagle RS-A tires were the ones that came with the car. These are the WORST TIRES EVER!!!! I may get them all replaced with some Bridgestones. I had them on my 2000 Grand Prix and was real happy with them.
I agree the RSAs are pretty poor tires, although I got about 70K out of mine on my 09 before replacing them with the Michelin Primacy MXV4s. Those now have 55K on them and are still trouble free. Granted, my driving is highway and wet roads, but will reiterate my vehement agreement that the RSAs are the one of poorest tires I've ever owned.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 AM

Looks like I'm going to try a set of Nexen N7000s.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM

I had the General G-Max tires put on yesterday because they came in early and they are awesome so far. Drove in the rain this morning and they are great in wet conditions. They corner well and they are extremely quiet. I love the aggressive look. Here is a video explaining the technologies built into the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3aMzrjjkrU
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM

The tire that was cracked was cracked alot worse that I thought. I'm surprised that tire didn't blow out on me. I did get the Nexen N7000. Not the way I wanted to spend almost $700 but at least I can drive knowing that the tires are in better shape than those POS RS-As. Tomorrow, I'll post some photos of the cracked tire.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM

My RSAs are almost done at 20k miles they suck so much will probably get another set of continental dws for the stocks since I have them for my 20s
Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM

I got 60k from my RSA's. I have replaced them with the DWS and so far with 4k miles I like them. They do tend to wander a but more, but maybe that is just due to the new tire.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
I got 60k from my RSA's. I have replaced them with the DWS and so far with 4k miles I like them. They do tend to wander a but more, but maybe that is just due to the new tire.
That may be the case. I know that new tires do not steer as precisely on winding roads as tires that have much of the tread worn off, because the full depth of new tread adds a lateral flexibility that worn tread does not have.

I get maximum dry road steering control on tires with almost no tread left, but those tires would be very dangerous on wet roads.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

vibration on hwy 2011 maxima tire problem?

I have a 2011 maxima with 1500 miles since new i have felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel when on the hwy is this how it's supposed to drive I would think a 40k car would feel smooth as silk, the dealer checked it and tells me its how the suspension is set up on this the car or do other 2011 maxima drivers feel nothing when there on the hwy in the steering wheel?????????????????????

thanks,

craig
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM

@craigm1 - sorry to hear that. That is BS. I feel nothing. I just passed 6000 miles on my 2011 (bought in Jan) after a trip from Ohio to FLA and back.

Might get some heat on this, but my RS-A's are giving normal wear and excellent traction. Maybe I got a good set It is time for a rotation though.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vivration

So your saying you feel no vibration at all in the steering wheel the dealer insists the car drives normal they even took it out on the highway I can even feel it sometimes on my armrest I wonder what I should do, anybody else feeling any vibration in there steering wheel on a 2011 maxima or am the only lucky one
Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 PM

My experience is pretty much like supared. Over two and a half years, with surprisingly good service from my RS-As, and only one tire rotation and no alignment done in that two and a half years. I am **** about vibration at freeway speeds, whether in the steering wheel or seat or elsewhere, and so far have not had noticable vibration.

I will say, based on sixty-two years of driving, that most vibration, whether in the steering wheel or seat or elsewhere, is usually connected to unsprung weight. That is a fancy way of saying tires, wheels, balance and alignment. Something somewhere in that area is not exactly right on your car.

Quite a few folks had that problem with 6th gen Maximas, and several have reported this problem here with 7th gen Maximas. 6th gen drivers often had to find a shop using the Hunter 9000 aligning and balancing equipment in order to fix the problem. Most 7th gen vibrations have eventually been fixed, although many dealers are not very skilled at pinpointing these problems.

Tell your dealer that you checked www.maxima.org, and the vast majority of 7th gen Maximas are vibration-free. Tell him you expect the same.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

vibration

Thanks for taking the time to answer me back have an appointment at the dealer this morning, will let you know how I make out

craig
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM

great advice light!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by craigm1
Thanks for taking the time to answer me back have an appointment at the dealer this morning, will let you know how I make out

craig
I have something similar going on. Did you get it resolved?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM

I'll have to sell my 19" Potenzas as they're "Summer Tires" and I live on the Indiana/Michigan border. I'll most likely replace all 4 within the next month or two and ebay the 4 Potenzas.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by plhrph
I have something similar going on. Did you get it resolved?
Me too. The weird thing is that sometimes it feels fine.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm gonna get some hankook ventus v12 evo's on da 4DSC, a 4DSC needs sporty tires!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bigdave333
I'm gonna get some hankook ventus v12 evo's on da 4DSC, a 4DSC needs sporty tires!
If you've had them before then go for it. I have the v12s right now and personally i hate them. I'm either going back to Potenzas or trying out the Conti DWSs when these wear out.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD
I had the General G-Max tires put on yesterday because they came in early and they are awesome so far. Drove in the rain this morning and they are great in wet conditions. They corner well and they are extremely quiet. I love the aggressive look. Here is a video explaining the technologies built into the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3aMzrjjkrU

What size are the tires you got and are the side walls stiff? I was trying to figure out why Nissan put on 245's on the wheels and they suck. When i beat the **** out of my Stock tires, I will be going down to 225 with a stiff sidewall.
Another good thing about these tires is they are light in weight. I researched a 235/45/18 and they are 22lbs according to Tirerack.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM

I could not stand the stock tires, they do not even grip in the rain. purchased snow tires for the winter not to be all over the road
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by TooTawl

Just took my 09 Maxima to the dealer today and they told me the exact same thing as your post above. I then got home and saw the 12" crack right next to the rim (on the inside part of the wheel too). I'm going tomorrow to replace all four tires. BTW, I have 29K on my car and these are the original tires that came with it.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 PM

I got so fed up with the RS-As that at around 22.5k miles with the mediocre ride quality, terribly loud noise level, and vibrations that I got an adjustment with Goodyear and had Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires put on.

While the Comfortred's are much quieter and the ride was improved, after putting almost 8-9k miles on them, they are progressively getting noisier, ride quality is deteriorating, and the vibrations are coming back.

My advice - Goodyear makes inferior tires. Avoid any of them at all costs. Stick with Michelin and Bridgestone. My parents just got a new car with Michelin and they have none of this.