7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

What justifies the difference in Maxima over Altima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I saw this mashup long ago and honestly I know my Maxima is much faster than the test results they showed on this testing. I've used several instruments to test and my results have always been between 5.8 and 6 secs flat to 60.

8 seconds to 60 must mean that there is something wrong with that Maxima.
Well keep in mind that they test just outside of the "mile high" city of Denver at over 5k in altitude, that sucks the power out. So that is why there times are always on the slow side of acceleration.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
What started out as a valid Altima-Maxima discussion has, with the many problems of the new Altima, lost all meaning.
+1 Case closed.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by DC Max
True, not sure what Nissan is thinking. They need to get it together and make the Maxima stand out more than the Altima...
I know exactly what Nissan is thinking. The Maxima is a really nice car, but it isn't a mid-sized family sedan. The most competitive segment of the automotive marketplace is precisely that market - people who are looking for a car that will fit their family.

So they do what car companies with limited imaginations always do (and most of them have limited imaginations). They rob from Peter to pay Paul. Nearly every aspect of the Altima is because of the Maxima. The shape of the car is based on the Maxima. The ride and handling is a toned down version of the Maxima. The powertrain (in 3.5 guise) is a toned down version of the Maxima.

The Altima competes with some serious contenders: Accord, Sonata, Passat, Fusion, Malibu, Camry, etc. These cars, combined with the Altima, make up an enormous chunk of car sales. Think about what the old Altima's used to be: crud. Boring, lifeless appliances that didn't sell that well, drove terribly and didn't look that good. So they redesigned the car a few times, each time taking styling, drivetrain, and chassis dynamics from the Max.

Meanwhile, what does the Maxima compete with? Acura TL's, Toyota Avalon's, Ford Taurus'. You can get an Accord that is 90% of a TL too. You can get an Avalon that is 90% of an ES350. It's standard, albeit boring, automotive manufacturer think. Take a fancier, better handling, better performing, more luxurious car and cut some corners.

Meanwhile, driving an Altima after driving a Maxima shows the issues: less refined, more disconnected, lower quality materials, less comfort, less luxury, etc. I'm not saying it's right and I'm not saying it's smart, but the Altima is a step down that tries to copy it's bigger brother in almost every way.

Altima's are nice cars too. I work with a guy who used to have a 7th gen Maxima. Due to the economy, he dumped his when his leased was up and picked up a 2012 Altima with a four banger. Every time he sees me in the lot, all he talks about is how much he misses his Max. Sure, he likes his Altima, but he doesn't talk about that. He talks about his old Max.

Frankly, I don't care if someone thinks the Altima is better than the Max. I drive my Max and love it. That's all that matters to me.

The real question is that I'm 11 months into a 39 month lease: will the new Maxima be available by my lease end? Will it be any good? I hope so.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Understand, over at the Altima forums they are presenting the exact same arguments and coming to the opposite conclusion.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 AM

There are 2 really big differences I see between the two. One is the width. When you sit in a Maxima there is a lot more shoulder room side to side vs the Altima where you feel much more cramped. Second is the noise insulation. When driving down the road the Maxima is a much quieter car with very little road and tire noise vs. the Altima. These 2 things really stood out to me.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by KGMtech
For me the Altima was never on the radar. The decision was either a used G37 or used Maxima SV.

The Max won, for the following reasons:
- nicer exterior styling. I think the G37 is nice inside, but boring outside.
- slightly more exclusive / rare vs G's in my area.
- attracts less attention.
- I actually prefer FWD. Yes, I've had 4WD, RWD and decided I like the FWD best.

The Altima is a good vehicle, but too common and built to serve the masses and not the more discerning of tastes.

Off topic: the VW gang have the same discussions about the Jetta vs Passat. IMHO, the newest Passat is a German version of the previous Chev Impala, hence my reason to shop elsewhere!
I agree about the mass production of Altimas. I live in a subdivision and on my street there are 16 houses. Of those 16 houses, there are 7 Altimas! I'm the only Maxima. I live in Houston and this city is huge. Even though there are 6 model years of the Maxima (09-14) on the roads, I still rarely see them! It's not until I get to places like the mall or am downtown that I see lots of them.

My only complaint about the Maxima/Altima comparison is that when my neighbors are walking their dogs or running and pass me outside washing my car they always make the comment that I'm washing my "Altima" even after I have corrected them. I've been here for a year and you can't remember that I have a Maxima? Geez!

KGM, I do like the FWD as well. So many hate it but I've only driven RWD vehicles for a short period of time (test drive, going to the store) so I am unable to perceive a difference in driving and handling. All I know is I'm gunning for this 8th gen.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM

My take on this is that I am pissed at Nissan making this vehicle similar. You should see my face when someone mistakes my max for an Altima, it revs me up. Is there another auto maker out there that makes 2 different line of their car so similar. Toyota is the only maker I can think of with 2 mid-size sedans but the Camry and Avalon are not alike and are never mistaken for being alike.
My advice to Nissan:
1. Don't place the same engine size in those two, bump up the max a bit, maybe a 3.7L engine.
2. Don't have cloth seat as an option, premium cars make you pay more to get cloth upholstery.
3. Make everything luxury a standard
4. Even the bargain trim should be loaded with features above the loaded Altima.

Just my 2 cents added
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Well I be damned, I had somebody at the grocery store tell me the really like my G37!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM

A fully loaded Altima feel nothing like a Maxima. Ride is worse, interior just looks cheap and mass production, engine noise is worse, road noise is worse, Altima is inferior in everything except acceleration. The only reason the altima is faster is because it has lighter wheels.

Last edited by assiduous; 04-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Read the review by motor week it's done by professionals you will get the real numbers .
Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 AM

A couple friends have gotten Altimas... other friends know I have a Maxima... why do they say... I don't know.... maybe the same car as you... I say NO... I have a Maxima... I stepped inside one... flimsy... plastic... DON'T you know the difference... of course you do when you want to take my car!