7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Fog Lights Relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 PM

HID Fog Lights Relay

So I brought a pair of HID Fog Light Kit on eBay for about $85. The kit worked for about a good 2 weeks but then I started having problems with the passenger side fog. It goes in & out.

My question is how do you run the relay to the passenger side since the relay has to be attached to the battery? Also anybody have a good idea where to mount the fog kit? Right now I have it zip tied to the plastic under cover piece
Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMaximus04
So I brought a pair of HID Fog Light Kit on eBay for about $85. The kit worked for about a good 2 weeks but then I started having problems with the passenger side fog. It goes in & out.

My question is how do you run the relay to the passenger side since the relay has to be attached to the battery? Also anybody have a good idea where to mount the fog kit? Right now I have it zip tied to the plastic under cover piece
I'll assume that you are pretty good with electrical things in general, based on your (also I assume) self-install of the HID fog lights.

You could do a Y connection at the relay output pin, and have just that one relay power both ballasts. You don't need two relays, one for each wire going to the ballasts. Remember that a relay is like a strong switch that just feeds current into wires, instead of a tiny transistor that can only handle a small amperage.

Also, you've mentioned eBay HID... If it is going in and out already, swap each side's bulbs with each other and see if wiring is really the issue at hand. eBay quality is... eBay quality, i.e. mostly not good stuff. Most of us around here will recommend TheRetrofitSource.com as source of good-high quality HID systems.

As for where to mount the ballasts, some of us have found a good spot around the metal bumper area (behind the plastic cover) though I am not exactly sure where.

EDIT: Btw, I refer to "relays" as the cube thingy with 4 or 5 prongs coming out of it. The rest is just wires that you connect accordingly.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 09-12-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
I'll assume that you are pretty good with electrical things in general, based on your (also I assume) self-install of the HID fog lights.

You could do a Y connection at the relay output pin, and have just that one relay power both ballasts. You don't need two relays, one for each wire going to the ballasts. Remember that a relay is like a strong switch that just feeds current into wires, instead of a tiny transistor that can only handle a small amperage.

Also, you've mentioned eBay HID... If it is going in and out already, swap each side's bulbs with each other and see if wiring is really the issue at hand. eBay quality is... eBay quality, i.e. mostly not good stuff. Most of us around here will recommend TheRetrofitSource.com as source of good-high quality HID systems.

As for where to mount the ballasts, some of us have found a good spot around the metal bumper area (behind the plastic cover) though I am not exactly sure where.

EDIT: Btw, I refer to "relays" as the cube thingy with 4 or 5 prongs coming out of it. The rest is just wires that you connect accordingly.
Thanks for the info. I actually did that with the relay, but the problem is the cable actually reaching over to the passenger side fog. It comes out short unless I move the ballast, but once I do that I put tension on the light cable.

I've swapped the ballast & lights on the passenger side & it does the same thing which is making me think it's the actual light socket.

But thanks again for all the info. I'm gonna check into those fogs at retrofitsource & see if I can find that area you were speaking of to mount the fogs.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMaximus04
Thanks for the info. I actually did that with the relay, but the problem is the cable actually reaching over to the passenger side fog. It comes out short unless I move the ballast, but once I do that I put tension on the light cable.

I've swapped the ballast & lights on the passenger side & it does the same thing which is making me think it's the actual light socket.

But thanks again for all the info. I'm gonna check into those fogs at retrofitsource & see if I can find that area you were speaking of to mount the fogs.
The actual relay wires is short?
In that case, one could always extend cut and slice to extend the wires.
Just be sure you use the same gauge or lower(thicker) wires and be sure not to cross them on accident.
Lots of waterproofing afterwards.

I can't seem to find the picture of where others have used as a good mounting point for the ballasts... Perhaps your search efforts will yield better results than I did.

Good Luck