7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT and Coolant Line Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

CVT and Coolant Line Flush

I plan on taking my Maxima in to have the CVT fluid changed in it as I'm approaching 30K miles. I know it may be early and there is mixed info as to whether the correct interval to change it is, but I'm taking the proactive approach and changing it earlier on the fist change. Anyways, I contacted the dealer and asked them what procedure they use, since I only want a drain and fill. They mentioned that they also drain the coolant lines, the service advisor couldn't explain what this means to me, but I'm assuming it means the transmission cooling lines? Does anyone know for sure?

I absolutely don't want the dealer to flush my trans because I know that transmission flushes do problems down the line, not necessarily in the Nissan CVTs but other vehicles I've come across. This dealer wants $249 to do this, but another Nissan dealer a little further away does it for $210 and just does the drain and fill. Can anyone tell me what this dealer is talking about when it comes to the coolant lines? I've used this dealer in the past and had good service, but I find this hard to believe that they have to do something with the coolant lines. Can anyone familiar with the procedure of changing it explain to me?

Also, is there a transmission filter that needs to be replaced at this time too?

Last edited by 2014Maxima; 12-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:06 PM

Not sure about the first part of your question but our cvt does have a filter which is external but nissan says nothing about changing it. Although, I believe others have changed it out and say it's very simple (like changing an oil filter) search the forum for the thread.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:27 AM

I had my changed last month at 50K. I watched them do it through the service window(which is a nice feature the dealership has). After they drained it they started the engine and poured new in and let it run out until it was no longer dark. I would have never thought of that. Maybe that's why they charge so much!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Is it possible that the dealer was referring the flushing the transmission cooler lines? I'm assuming that they would just disconnect the line until the fluid looks more clear, then reconnect it? I would change this myself, but I don't have the place or tools with me so I have to resort to the dealer. Plus I don't want to risk warranty problems later on this first change.

Does anyone know what the part number for the filter is, that way I can have the dealer change it also? I'm going to have it all done at once.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2014Maxima
Is it possible that the dealer was referring the flushing the transmission cooler lines? I'm assuming that they would just disconnect the line until the fluid looks more clear, then reconnect it? I would change this myself, but I don't have the place or tools with me so I have to resort to the dealer. Plus I don't want to risk warranty problems later on this first change.

Does anyone know what the part number for the filter is, that way I can have the dealer change it also? I'm going to have it all done at once.
I would just drain and refill the CVT fluid if I were you (I did at 30000 in mine). I'm not sure about the filter but not changing it for now would probably not harm anything.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:39 PM

On every other vehicle I have ever had, I have always changed the filter when changing the transmission fluid. I am new to Nissans and CVTs, but I would assume that it's still a good idea to change the filter with every fluid change interval. Are you all changing the filters at the same time as the fluid? If so, can someone fill me in on the filter part number?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 PM

On every other vehicle I have ever had, I have always changed the filter when changing the transmission fluid. I am new to Nissans and CVTs, but I would assume that it's still a good idea to change the filter with every fluid change interval. Are you all changing the filters at the same time as the fluid? If so, can someone fill me in on the filter part number?
"
Someone in another thread posted " 31726-1xe0f" as the part number for the filter but I'm not completely sure. When I changed my cvt fluid at 33000 miles, I just did the drain and refill without changing the filter but you might change it if you really want to.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:13 PM

I contacted a few different Nissan dealers on their process, and they all flush the fluid using a machine process since they mentioned that it removes old fluid from the torque converter. Honestly, I'm nervous about letting these dealers do this since I don't want transmission problems to occur later down the line. If I had the place and tools to do it where I'm at, I'd do it myself. Does anyone else have their CVT changed at the dealer and had no problems while having a flush done? I'm just a tad over 30K miles and I'm not the easiest on my Maxima, but I'm contemplating keeping the fluid in longer now.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zygi
"
Someone in another thread posted " 31726-1xe0f" as the part number for the filter but I'm not completely sure. When I changed my cvt fluid at 33000 miles, I just did the drain and refill without changing the filter but you might change it if you really want to.
I just bought this filter for 2009 Maxima, part number is 31726-1XE0A
When I gave the dealer parts guy the number, he said it does not exist.
When I gave him the VIN, he found the right part with above number.
They have never heard of this filter, and first told me it does not exist :-)

simple drain and fill should me more than sufficient for this job at 30k.
Buy the fluid yourself, take it to your neighborhood mechanic or indy shop.
Have them drain the fluid out of the pan, then refill the fluid through dipstick. Done. Its easier than oil change.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 AM

I contacted a few different Nissan dealers on their process, and they all flush the fluid using a machine process since they mentioned that it removes old fluid from the torque converter. Honestly, I'm nervous about letting these dealers do this since I don't want transmission problems to occur later down the line. If I had the place and tools to do it where I'm at, I'd do it myself. Does anyone else have their CVT changed at the dealer and had no problems while having a flush done? I'm just a tad over 30K miles and I'm not the easiest on my Maxima, but I'm contemplating keeping the fluid in longer now.
I've had them do it an no problems. You're only at 30k so if something did go wrong you got another 30k under warranty.