7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxima newbie with a few questions about my car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima newbie with a few questions about my car.

I recently bought a '12 and I'm diggin it. I have a few questions about it that someone might know the answers to.
My first question is, how do I find out what trim level it is? By looking up the Vin and model number? Can any off y'all identify it off the top of their head by chance by by looking?
My second question is about D, and Ds. I'm guessing that Ds is "sport mode?" When I put it in Ds it seems like it'll climb to a higher rpm before it "shifts." Is that correct and is that it or does it do anything else different that D?
Also, can someone give me a quick rundown on the traction control? Does it control traction by cutting the throttle or by applying the brakes or both when it detects wheel spin? Say if one was to go down the drags trip, would they want the traction control on or off?

Thanks

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 08-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 90lxwhite
My second question is about D, and Ds. I'm guessing that Ds is "sport mode?" When I put it in Ds it seems like it'll climb to a higher rpm before it "shifts." Is that correct and is that it or does it do anything else different that D?
To my knowledge all it does is simulate geared automatics behavior by simulating shift points. This makes it louder and IMO more fun to drive, but, it's slower than just fully depressing the pedal in D (past the notch so it clicks, but be VERY careful that the gas pedal won't get stuck on your floor mat if you do that, it should be fine as long as the floor mat is properly secured. You can try this out safely when the car is off to see. I've had it stick before and it was not fun :P)

Originally Posted by 90lxwhite
Also, can someone give me a quick rundown on the traction control? Does it control traction by cutting the throttle or by applying the brakes or both when it detects wheel spin? Say if one was to go down the drags trip, would they want the traction control on or off?
It does both, cuts power and brakes individual wheels. When it comes on you'll know because the SLIP indicator will light up on the dash. If you are drag racing you want it off.

However, supposedly you can damage the CVT when it's off (I'm not sure how, or if it's just fear mongering, but I believe the drivers manual may list a warning on this, been a while since I read through that), plus VDC is seriously life saving technology, so do yourself a favor and keep it on when you are on the streets.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 AM

From the owners manual:

Controls brake pressure to reduce wheel slip on one slipping drive wheel so power is transferred to a non slipping drive wheel on the same axle.
● Controls brake pressure and engine output to reduce drive wheel slip based on vehicle speed (traction control function).
● Controls brake pressure at individual wheels and engine output to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle in the following conditions: – understeer (vehicle tends to not follow the steered path despite increased steering input) – oversteer (vehicle tends to spin due to certain road or driving conditions
Old 08-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks yall