7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Acceleration/Reverse Clunk after Half/CV Axle and Control Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Acceleration/Reverse Clunk after Half/CV Axle and Control Arm Replacement

I'm getting a intermittent clunk when accelerating sharply from around 10-15mph. I changed my half axles with GSP NCV53915 and NCV53916 models and the control arms with MEVOTECH GS301005 and GS301004 models.
The clunk itself doesn't happen all the time (hence "intermittent"), but it sounds as if something's seating when it happens. The same issues occurs when I put the engine into reverse and there's a slight noise.
The engine will shudder slightly on start up as well so I'm hoping it's just a motor mount issue and nothing to do with the tranny.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:32 PM

New doesnt always mean "good." You dont describe the sound coming from a particular place, but i would try to isolate it to a side and then check all my nuts and bolts are torqued correctly on the struts and control arm. If that checks out, I would be back on the axles. You didnt say why you replaced both sides , so I am sure we would lile to know what symptoms you had before.
Old 07-31-2024, 10:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LtLeary
You dont describe the sound coming from a particular place, but i would try to isolate it to a side and then check all my nuts and bolts are torqued correctly on the struts and control arm. If that checks out, I would be back on the axles. You didnt say why you replaced both sides , so I am sure we would lile to know what symptoms you had before.
Sorry, the initial post was made in haste. The sound is definitely coming from the transmission on the driver's side as it makes a rather metallic clunk when I put it into reverse. The acceleration noise seems to come from the passenger side, but I can't tell with any real confidence. I replaced the half-axles because the boots on the original ones were completely shot and it was clicking and throwing grease all over my engine and transmission. I replaced the control arms because the bushings were gone. I'm pretty confident everything that can be torqued there is torqued to spec, but I did have to slightly force in the new half axles if that makes a difference. I'll try recording the noise tomorrow and see if I can see anything in particular.
New doesnt always mean "good."
The noises are new so I'm glad I kept the old axles in my trunk
Old 08-09-2024, 06:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took off the front wheel and confirmed the noise is coming from the transmission. It moves vertically when I shift from Drive into Reverse and back, making a clunking noise. The driver-side control arm will then start ticking.
Old 08-10-2024, 09:15 AM

So motor/transmission mount?
Old 08-10-2024, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So motor/transmission mount?
Seems it. I'll be posting pictures of the process if anyone cares for it.
Old Today, 10:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced all the motor mounts that needed replacing and some that didn't (rear insulator, front insulator, rear torque strut, right, and transmission mount) with aftermarket parts. The clunk is less bad, but it is still there when I put the thing into reverse or accelerate. Sometimes. I don't know what else could be loose/broken. I'm starting to think I should've repaired the OEM cv axles and stuck them back in, but I don't know if anything is permanently damaged and requires more than a boot replacement.

I said I would take pictures but the jobs were pretty standard: jack up the engine on a piece of wood long enough to completely cover the oil pan as to not dent it, disengage the right and torque mounts, and swap out the pieces. The front insulator was pretty easy with the additional step of removing the radiator fan. The rear insulator mount was the biggest b!tch to replace: It took getting the thing on a lift, supporting the engine and removing mounts, dropping the subframe, and removing the plenum to get to the top bolt. What a terrible job.
Old Today, 03:57 PM

I didnt like the new cv i got from autozone for the left front but the remans from RockAuto were great.