Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
Reload this Page >

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Old 12-20-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlkMx View Post
Up until last month, I was a happy Maxima owner for six generations of this vehicle.

In my opinion, the "19" refresh is a step backwards. The design is becoming outdated. The shoulder line is blocky. Too clunky for what should be a sportier version of the 4-door sedan.

Despite that, living in snowy western New York, I was excited to see the Altima come with AWD this year and hopeful for the Maxima. With many other sedans and crossovers in the price range making that change, it only seemed reasonable to expect Nissan's "flagship" to follow suit. The fact that they chose only the Altima for the AWD platform is revealing.

So... after almost two decades, I switched to the Max's cousin. The Infinity Q50 has a slightly smaller cockpit, passenger room and trunk, but is clearly much more a sport sedan, So far, I love this car. The All Wheel - Rear Wheel dominate drive is a blast. Looking forward to passing everyone on our snow covered roads this winter and enjoying the 300 pony, 3.0t when the roads are bare.

The switch is bittersweet. Car makers are leaving the 4-door sedan market in droves. Nissan (like many) appear to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. For me, The time to jump was now. Glad I did.
I may be making that jump, too, to Infinity. If, in fact, that is the course I choose, it will be after I finish having fun with this Maxima.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlkMx View Post
Up until last month, I was a happy Maxima owner for six generations of this vehicle.

In my opinion, the "19" refresh is a step backwards. The design is becoming outdated. The shoulder line is blocky. Too clunky for what should be a sportier version of the 4-door sedan.

Despite that, living in snowy western New York, I was excited to see the Altima come with AWD this year and hopeful for the Maxima. With many other sedans and crossovers in the price range making that change, it only seemed reasonable to expect Nissan's "flagship" to follow suit. The fact that they chose only the Altima for the AWD platform is revealing.

So... after almost two decades, I switched to the Max's cousin. The Infinity Q50 has a slightly smaller cockpit, passenger room and trunk, but is clearly much more a sport sedan, So far, I love this car. The All Wheel - Rear Wheel dominate drive is a blast. Looking forward to passing everyone on our snow covered roads this winter and enjoying the 300 pony, 3.0t when the roads are bare.

The switch is bittersweet. Car makers are leaving the 4-door sedan market in droves. Nissan (like many) appear to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. For me, The time to jump was now. Glad I did.
The current platform the Maxima sits on is not set up for AWD. For them to make it happen would have cost A LOT. Too much money to put into a mid-cycle refresh on a low volume car. Money better saved for the full re-design on a new platform where they can work the AWD into the design early.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
The current platform the Maxima sits on is not set up for AWD. For them to make it happen would have cost A LOT. Too much money to put into a mid-cycle refresh on a low volume car. Money better saved for the full re-design on a new platform where they can work the AWD into the design early.
Great observation. I might add the current design is still so advanced you have all the mfrs trying to copy it. Fact is there are not that many 16-18s out there so I still regularly have folks ask me about the car. As for comparisons, for the money there isn't anything new (G70, G80, Avalon, ES300, Acura, etc) that come close for what the net cost is with the content. ( Panaramic sun roof, remote start, direct entry GPS, 360 view , and much more) . I am very happy to trade for a further refined 2019 with even more safety equipement standard.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM

We all know that AWD isn't happening, but what about RWD? I know I could just get a Q50, but, but, but.. Maxima.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jack **** View Post
We all know that AWD isn't happening, but what about RWD? I know I could just get a Q50, but, but, but.. Maxima.
what?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jack **** View Post
This platform isn't designed for either.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM

To each his own. I like the refresh and will trade in my 2016 Platinum along with a down payment and outright buy the 2019. If and when the refresh happens, I will trade in my 2019 which will be paid off, if I like the new product. Hope the 9th generation comes with AND and is a bit roomier.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer View Post
Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!
That's a wow for MPG. The 2018 is a real bargain and offers further refinement from my 2016 Platinum. Well done

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-14-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM

Been real guys, had a 2014 max and a '16 max since july 2016. Decided to sell it once it hit 60k miles and I bought something else because the deal was so good.. probably will get alot of hate for it but its okay. Gonna miss these forums!! Maybe when the full refresh comes around I will be back!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by punkfs View Post
Been real guys, had a 2014 max and a '16 max since july 2016. Decided to sell it once it hit 60k miles and I bought something else because the deal was so good.. probably will get alot of hate for it but its okay. Gonna miss these forums!! Maybe when the full refresh comes around I will be back!
What did you end up with?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

What did you end up with?
lol, so I was originally looking at a stinger GT2... test drove it, was impressed with the power but not the interior, looked way better in pictures than in person. liked my max better.... same day get a call from a friend saying there is a nice c300 cabriolet listed and if i wanted to look at it.. yes a mercedes.. weird cross shopping- gonna be lots of hate. I live in hawaii and have always wanted a convertible..but could never imagine not driving at least a v6 .. i was surprised by the engine lol told myself i guess its a fair trade off, figured i would just go for it if i could get a good price.. test drove it, the car was great.. slightly used.. 2800 miles. fair purchase price on KBB was 43k for that mileage.. i got the car for 35, way under kbb value and someone else took all the depreciation...since the sticker is 52k for a base model. 5 yr / 50k mile warrenty. we will see if its a huge mistake but for the price im not worried... really loving it in this 80 degree hawaii weather. brilliant blue..
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 AM

lol, so I was originally looking at a stinger GT2... test drove it, was impressed with the power but not the interior, looked way better in pictures than in person. liked my max better.... same day get a call from a friend saying there is a nice c300 cabriolet listed and if i wanted to look at it.. yes a mercedes.. weird cross shopping- gonna be lots of hate. I live in hawaii and have always wanted a convertible..but could never imagine not driving at least a v6 .. i was surprised by the engine lol told myself i guess its a fair trade off, figured i would just go for it if i could get a good price.. test drove it, the car was great.. slightly used.. 2800 miles. fair purchase price on KBB was 43k for that mileage.. i got the car for 35, way under kbb value and someone else took all the depreciation...since the sticker is 52k for a base model. 5 yr / 50k mile warrenty. we will see if its a huge mistake but for the price im not worried... really loving it in this 80 degree hawaii weather. brilliant blue..

A Mercedes huh? Man those things are total money pits and always have issues. I worked at a Mercedes Benz dealer for 2 years in 2001. Worked in parts department and handled hundreds/millions of dollars in inventory and those prices. Wow just WOW. Donít ever be with out a warranty letís put it that way. Not including labor. The cars have so much technology in them itís always the tech thatís breaking. Best of luck with it and as long as you are pleased. That is all that matters.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:14 AM

A Mercedes huh? Man those things are total money pits and always have issues. I worked at a Mercedes Benz dealer for 2 years in 2001. Worked in parts department and handled hundreds/millions of dollars in inventory and those prices. Wow just WOW. Donít ever be with out a warranty letís put it that way. Not including labor. The cars have so much technology in them itís always the tech thatís breaking. Best of luck with it and as long as you are pleased. That is all that matters.
yep... I hear ya... def not keeping it past warranty... probably sell it less than 2 years . Thanks though!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:28 AM

I too looked at a Stinker...er..Stinger and G70. Hyundia all the way. No time to explain to folks what they are... Shrewd shopping on your part in getting into the Benz and let someone else eat the depreciation. They have improved considerably since my last 320. Do be sure to get the extended warranty if you are keeping it for long though. Oil changes and air filters are not cheap on this beast, however the computer on mine did not call for an oil change till 9500 miles had elapsed

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-21-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM

yep... I hear ya... def not keeping it past warranty... probably sell it less than 2 years . Thanks though!!!
Stinger GT2 interior looks incredible in pictures and video. But, you are not the first I have read about when actually seeing it in person you donít like it.Does it feel cheap or what since you still liked the Maxima interior?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Stinger GT2 interior looks incredible in pictures and video. But, you are not the first I have read about when actually seeing it in person you donít like it.Does it feel cheap or what since you still liked the Maxima interior?
feels very cheap in my opinion, lots and lots of cheap plastic . I donít like the screen either didnít look bad I. Pics but in person looks cheap. Maybe if youíre coming from a different car people would be super impresssed but coming from my max i immediately felt like I was in a cheaper cabin
Old 01-21-2019, 06:14 AM

feels very cheap in my opinion, lots and lots of cheap plastic . I donít like the screen either didnít look bad I. Pics but in person looks cheap. Maybe if youíre coming from a different car people would be super impresssed but coming from my max i immediately felt like I was in a cheaper cabin
Well stated. Exactly my sentiments. No ambiance!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 PM

While at my dealer for routine service today, I wandered the lot comparing the 2018 Maximas with the 2019s. If a dump truck totaled my 2016 Platinum any time soon, I would be buying a 2019 Maxima. I didn't have any strong preference between the 2018 and the 2019 looks-wise or styling-wise. But the 2019 does have several new features I like. A gripe I do have with the 2019 is in available interior/exterior color combinations.

I love the sunset drift exterior color, but it is available only with the SR and the Platinum, and only with charcoal interior.

I love the Rakuda Tan interior upholstery, but it is available only in the Platinum Reserve model, and only with exterior colors Pearl White, Carnelian Red, Pearl Blue and Super Black.

There is no way to get the Sunset drift exterior with the Rakuda Tan upholstery, which would be a very appealing combo for me. That fact would somewhat dim my enthusiasm for the 2019 Maxima. I would probably reluctantly settle for a sunset drift Platinum with charcoal interior.

Even if my 2016 was somehow totaled, and I did buy a 2019, I would trade the 2019 in on a model year 2023 ninth gen Maxima if there actually is one.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-15-2019 at 08:21 AM.