8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by BlkMx
Up until last month, I was a happy Maxima owner for six generations of this vehicle.

In my opinion, the "19" refresh is a step backwards. The design is becoming outdated. The shoulder line is blocky. Too clunky for what should be a sportier version of the 4-door sedan.

Despite that, living in snowy western New York, I was excited to see the Altima come with AWD this year and hopeful for the Maxima. With many other sedans and crossovers in the price range making that change, it only seemed reasonable to expect Nissan's "flagship" to follow suit. The fact that they chose only the Altima for the AWD platform is revealing.

So... after almost two decades, I switched to the Max's cousin. The Infinity Q50 has a slightly smaller cockpit, passenger room and trunk, but is clearly much more a sport sedan, So far, I love this car. The All Wheel - Rear Wheel dominate drive is a blast. Looking forward to passing everyone on our snow covered roads this winter and enjoying the 300 pony, 3.0t when the roads are bare.

The switch is bittersweet. Car makers are leaving the 4-door sedan market in droves. Nissan (like many) appear to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. For me, The time to jump was now. Glad I did.
I may be making that jump, too, to Infinity. If, in fact, that is the course I choose, it will be after I finish having fun with this Maxima.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlkMx
Up until last month, I was a happy Maxima owner for six generations of this vehicle.

In my opinion, the "19" refresh is a step backwards. The design is becoming outdated. The shoulder line is blocky. Too clunky for what should be a sportier version of the 4-door sedan.

Despite that, living in snowy western New York, I was excited to see the Altima come with AWD this year and hopeful for the Maxima. With many other sedans and crossovers in the price range making that change, it only seemed reasonable to expect Nissan's "flagship" to follow suit. The fact that they chose only the Altima for the AWD platform is revealing.

So... after almost two decades, I switched to the Max's cousin. The Infinity Q50 has a slightly smaller cockpit, passenger room and trunk, but is clearly much more a sport sedan, So far, I love this car. The All Wheel - Rear Wheel dominate drive is a blast. Looking forward to passing everyone on our snow covered roads this winter and enjoying the 300 pony, 3.0t when the roads are bare.

The switch is bittersweet. Car makers are leaving the 4-door sedan market in droves. Nissan (like many) appear to be focusing their efforts elsewhere. For me, The time to jump was now. Glad I did.
The current platform the Maxima sits on is not set up for AWD. For them to make it happen would have cost A LOT. Too much money to put into a mid-cycle refresh on a low volume car. Money better saved for the full re-design on a new platform where they can work the AWD into the design early.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
The current platform the Maxima sits on is not set up for AWD. For them to make it happen would have cost A LOT. Too much money to put into a mid-cycle refresh on a low volume car. Money better saved for the full re-design on a new platform where they can work the AWD into the design early.
Great observation. I might add the current design is still so advanced you have all the mfrs trying to copy it. Fact is there are not that many 16-18s out there so I still regularly have folks ask me about the car. As for comparisons, for the money there isn't anything new (G70, G80, Avalon, ES300, Acura, etc) that come close for what the net cost is with the content. ( Panaramic sun roof, remote start, direct entry GPS, 360 view , and much more) . I am very happy to trade for a further refined 2019 with even more safety equipement standard.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM

We all know that AWD isn't happening, but what about RWD? I know I could just get a Q50, but, but, but.. Maxima.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jack ****
We all know that AWD isn't happening, but what about RWD? I know I could just get a Q50, but, but, but.. Maxima.
what?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jack ****
This platform isn't designed for either.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 PM

To each his own. I like the refresh and will trade in my 2016 Platinum along with a down payment and outright buy the 2019. If and when the refresh happens, I will trade in my 2019 which will be paid off, if I like the new product. Hope the 9th generation comes with AND and is a bit roomier.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!
That's a wow for MPG. The 2018 is a real bargain and offers further refinement from my 2016 Platinum. Well done

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-14-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM

Been real guys, had a 2014 max and a '16 max since july 2016. Decided to sell it once it hit 60k miles and I bought something else because the deal was so good.. probably will get alot of hate for it but its okay. Gonna miss these forums!! Maybe when the full refresh comes around I will be back!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by punkfs
Been real guys, had a 2014 max and a '16 max since july 2016. Decided to sell it once it hit 60k miles and I bought something else because the deal was so good.. probably will get alot of hate for it but its okay. Gonna miss these forums!! Maybe when the full refresh comes around I will be back!
What did you end up with?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild

What did you end up with?
lol, so I was originally looking at a stinger GT2... test drove it, was impressed with the power but not the interior, looked way better in pictures than in person. liked my max better.... same day get a call from a friend saying there is a nice c300 cabriolet listed and if i wanted to look at it.. yes a mercedes.. weird cross shopping- gonna be lots of hate. I live in hawaii and have always wanted a convertible..but could never imagine not driving at least a v6 .. i was surprised by the engine lol told myself i guess its a fair trade off, figured i would just go for it if i could get a good price.. test drove it, the car was great.. slightly used.. 2800 miles. fair purchase price on KBB was 43k for that mileage.. i got the car for 35, way under kbb value and someone else took all the depreciation...since the sticker is 52k for a base model. 5 yr / 50k mile warrenty. we will see if its a huge mistake but for the price im not worried... really loving it in this 80 degree hawaii weather. brilliant blue..
Old 01-20-2019, 12:59 AM

lol, so I was originally looking at a stinger GT2... test drove it, was impressed with the power but not the interior, looked way better in pictures than in person. liked my max better.... same day get a call from a friend saying there is a nice c300 cabriolet listed and if i wanted to look at it.. yes a mercedes.. weird cross shopping- gonna be lots of hate. I live in hawaii and have always wanted a convertible..but could never imagine not driving at least a v6 .. i was surprised by the engine lol told myself i guess its a fair trade off, figured i would just go for it if i could get a good price.. test drove it, the car was great.. slightly used.. 2800 miles. fair purchase price on KBB was 43k for that mileage.. i got the car for 35, way under kbb value and someone else took all the depreciation...since the sticker is 52k for a base model. 5 yr / 50k mile warrenty. we will see if its a huge mistake but for the price im not worried... really loving it in this 80 degree hawaii weather. brilliant blue..

A Mercedes huh? Man those things are total money pits and always have issues. I worked at a Mercedes Benz dealer for 2 years in 2001. Worked in parts department and handled hundreds/millions of dollars in inventory and those prices. Wow just WOW. Don’t ever be with out a warranty let’s put it that way. Not including labor. The cars have so much technology in them it’s always the tech that’s breaking. Best of luck with it and as long as you are pleased. That is all that matters.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:14 AM

A Mercedes huh? Man those things are total money pits and always have issues. I worked at a Mercedes Benz dealer for 2 years in 2001. Worked in parts department and handled hundreds/millions of dollars in inventory and those prices. Wow just WOW. Don’t ever be with out a warranty let’s put it that way. Not including labor. The cars have so much technology in them it’s always the tech that’s breaking. Best of luck with it and as long as you are pleased. That is all that matters.
yep... I hear ya... def not keeping it past warranty... probably sell it less than 2 years . Thanks though!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 05:28 AM

I too looked at a Stinker...er..Stinger and G70. Hyundia all the way. No time to explain to folks what they are... Shrewd shopping on your part in getting into the Benz and let someone else eat the depreciation. They have improved considerably since my last 320. Do be sure to get the extended warranty if you are keeping it for long though. Oil changes and air filters are not cheap on this beast, however the computer on mine did not call for an oil change till 9500 miles had elapsed

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-21-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM

yep... I hear ya... def not keeping it past warranty... probably sell it less than 2 years . Thanks though!!!
Stinger GT2 interior looks incredible in pictures and video. But, you are not the first I have read about when actually seeing it in person you don’t like it.Does it feel cheap or what since you still liked the Maxima interior?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Stinger GT2 interior looks incredible in pictures and video. But, you are not the first I have read about when actually seeing it in person you don’t like it.Does it feel cheap or what since you still liked the Maxima interior?
feels very cheap in my opinion, lots and lots of cheap plastic . I don’t like the screen either didn’t look bad I. Pics but in person looks cheap. Maybe if you’re coming from a different car people would be super impresssed but coming from my max i immediately felt like I was in a cheaper cabin
Old 01-21-2019, 06:14 AM

feels very cheap in my opinion, lots and lots of cheap plastic . I don’t like the screen either didn’t look bad I. Pics but in person looks cheap. Maybe if you’re coming from a different car people would be super impresssed but coming from my max i immediately felt like I was in a cheaper cabin
Well stated. Exactly my sentiments. No ambiance!
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 PM

While at my dealer for routine service today, I wandered the lot comparing the 2018 Maximas with the 2019s. If a dump truck totaled my 2016 Platinum any time soon, I would be buying a 2019 Maxima. I didn't have any strong preference between the 2018 and the 2019 looks-wise or styling-wise. But the 2019 does have several new features I like. A gripe I do have with the 2019 is in available interior/exterior color combinations.

I love the sunset drift exterior color, but it is available only with the SR and the Platinum, and only with charcoal interior.

I love the Rakuda Tan interior upholstery, but it is available only in the Platinum Reserve model, and only with exterior colors Pearl White, Carnelian Red, Pearl Blue and Super Black.

There is no way to get the Sunset drift exterior with the Rakuda Tan upholstery, which would be a very appealing combo for me. That fact would somewhat dim my enthusiasm for the 2019 Maxima. I would probably reluctantly settle for a sunset drift Platinum with charcoal interior.

Even if my 2016 was somehow totaled, and I did buy a 2019, I would trade the 2019 in on a model year 2023 ninth gen Maxima if there actually is one.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-15-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am hearing nothing regarding a ninth gen since last winter. I understand that having Ghosn locked up in prison, and Nissan and Renault going through a messy divorce has to impact Nissan's plans to some degree, but we were getting fairly regular word from Nissan a year ago practically assuring us there would be a ninth gen Maxima. Now? Silence.

Maybe I am just not patient enough. I want so badly to have a ninth gen Maxima. If the ninth gen arrived as the 2023 model year (which I think it will, if there is a ninth gen), I would buy it immediately. If I kept it seven years (as I did my 7th gen and will have kept my 8th gen), it would carry me to age 95, at which time I might be considering whether to have my wife do all the driving with my tenth gen Maxima.

As an owner of nothing but Datsun/Nissan products since 1977, and nothing but Maximas since 1984, I would hate to end my long driving life with a sunset drift (burnt umber) 2023 Ford Ranger crew cab pickup, but sadly, it could come to that. Nissan, please give us a ninth generation Maxima. Pretty please.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
N

As an owner of nothing but Datsun/Nissan products since 1977, and nothing but Maximas since 1984, I would hate to end my long driving life with a sunset drift (burnt umber) 2023 Ford Ranger crew cab pickup, but sadly, it could come to that. Nissan, please give us a ninth generation Maxima. Pretty please.
Light,

sadly you you might be right about this, but why not wait a few years and trade up to the refreshed 8th gen. It may not be a 9th gen... but it will be new to you and it'll be the same car you always loved. No need start driving a pickup... there will still be unsold Maximas to buy for years to come.

Ill give you a personal example... my other car that I absolutely loved was my 2007 Hyundai Azera. Last winter it died on me but they haven't made them in that style since 2011. I looked round online and found a 2008 with only 40k miles, looks & runs like new. So there you have it, you don't have to give up your Maxima if you don't want to.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Light,

sadly you you might be right about this, but why not wait a few years and trade up to the refreshed 8th gen. It may not be a 9th gen... but it will be new to you and it'll be the same car you always loved. No need start driving a pickup... there will still be unsold Maximas to buy for years to come.

Ill give you a personal example... my other car that I absolutely loved was my 2007 Hyundai Azera. Last winter it died on me but they haven't made them in that style since 2011. I looked round online and found a 2008 with only 40k miles, looks & runs like new. So there you have it, you don't have to give up your Maxima if you don't want to.
Thanks for the thoughtful words, Fishlet (isn't a fishlet a minnow? joking of course) I will probably follow your suggestion for several reasons. First, my wife has owned nothing but pickups since 1984, and is currently driving a 2004 Ranger pickup which she keeps in immaculate condition. Not a scratch. She bought that 2004 Ranger to replace a 1991 Ranger she had driven for fifteen years and which she gave to our son. He ran the odometer to 300,000 before he was clobbered from behind by a large truck while sitting at a stop light. We do not need two pick-ups in our garage.

Among the Maximas I have owned over the years, I drove two of them past 200,000 miles, so could probably get many more years from my 2016 Platinum. And I will admit having looked at the 2019 Maxima, and knew that if my 2016 was suddenly totaled, I would be buying a 2019.

So, as you say, the situation is not totally bleak. If I bought a 2020 Maxima in early 2023, and kept it for my usual seven years, that would take me to 2030, by which time I would be between age 95 and age 100, and be looking at electric wheel chairs. I wonder if there is an electric wheel chair named the Maxima?
Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 AM

I would agree that you might want to just speed up the buying cycle and opt for a 2020 Maxima. There is a degree of refinement present from when our 2016s came out mid year of 2015. I went from a Couis red Platinum to white I regret not going back to the red. Seems as Toyota Kia are aping the the color schemes in the white /lblack trim of the Maxima
Old 08-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Sad news if true

https://carbuzz.com/news/nissans-fou...l-soon-be-gone

Sad news.....😢
Old 08-02-2020, 02:26 PM

Change is a good thing, and a name is just a name in some ways.

Case in point the Kia k5...aka next generation Kia optima... Kia decided to axe the name optima but I would guess the K5 was always going to be what the optima would have looked like if they kept the name.I'm only using the Kia reference as it's recent....
​​​​​
The more things change, the more they stay the same....

I for one would love to see an evolution of the max to something on the next level even without the max badge, just as long as it keeps the attitude of the max.

Putting build quality aside, I am still in love with this Gen maxima, and this is my first cvt, and I feel it makes the car fun to drive even with it's quarks.

If you want a sports car, buy a sports car. It's really not that hard of a concept to get on board with.... For the price, nothing else imo comes close to being fun and different in style inside and out.
​​​​​​
Old 08-02-2020, 05:55 PM

Agreed, though do want to point out that the K5 is the Optima's name in KIA's home market of South Korea, they just changed it to match I guess.

Also thought Optima sounded a little too much like Altima and Maxima for me haha maybe it's what the Sentra should've been called
Old 09-21-2020, 08:03 AM

Nissan Maxima 40th Anniversary Edition

Nissan today has provided some details about the Nissan Maxima 40th Anniversary Edition.

There will be a 2021 Maxima and a limited 40th Anniversary Edition

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/rel...ars-a-flagship
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 AM

Attractive car but just a trimmed out > look at me > with no real mechanical imrovements. This model spells the swan song for what has been a great series.
It has been a good run.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Attractive car but just a trimmed out > look at me > with no real mechanical imrovements. This model spells the swan song for what has been a great series.
It has been a good run.
meh. It’s a reserve with red seats, silver gauges, and a spoiler. Having had red gauges on my Audi A4 it was more annoyance than help - unless daylight used a dark color (unlikely).
Old 09-26-2020, 04:05 AM

For the first time, I am finally convinced my long run of owning nothing but Maximas is coming to an end. I have held out hope for several years there would be a ninth generation, but it is becoming clear that is not going to happen. The 40th anniversary edition is not bad, but is essentially similar to the styling of my 2016 silver Platinum. And the 40th anniversary Maxima is available in only one color, and, although it is not a bad color, and the car looks nice, I have not owned a car with color that dark since I traded in my black 1949 Studebaker Commander back in 1952.

Who was that early philosopher famous for his fearful quote - 'The curse has come upon me.' I think that expresses how I feel. Forty two years of owning nothing but Datsun/Nissan products, and now I need to look at other manufacturers and start all over again. And doing so in the midst of the worst pandemic since cousin Carl and uncle Roy were killed by the 1918 Spanish flu. And the current pandemic took both my nephew Eddie and his fiancé back in April, and my wife and I have been strictly sheltering in place since the end of February. At my age, one atom of covid would take me out. I suppose I will hold off car shopping until I have my covid vaccination, probably next May, then tell all my long-time friends at my Nissan dealer a tearful goodbye and decide what brand to move to. Sad sad day.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:19 PM

I do not know your driving habits but there may be an option before bailing on Nissan. You may want to consider the new Ariya stated for release next year. No it not a Maxima but it seems to be something to consider. While I do love may '17 Maxima Platinum my wifes Murano is a lot easier to get in an out of and the older I get that makes a difference.

https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/ariya

Old 09-27-2020, 06:19 AM

We all know that next year won't bring a redesign of the Maxima. I for one still like the looks of the entire package in and out.
So Lightonthehill I ask why would you not consider a 2021 Maxima ?
Old 12-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lightonthehill: I salute you sir for being probably the number one Maxima fan. Hope you are doing ok and still sheltering in place.

I recently bought a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0T touring but still have my 5.5 6 speed Maxima. The Honda has all the new technology that I wanted, is very comfortable and is very quick. However I still enjoy driving my Maxima (has 152k) because I'm a big manual fan and even though the Accord is quick it still has to select the right gear and the turbo has to spool up before it goes.

I really like how the new Maximas look from the outside but for technology, reliability and resale value Honda can't be beat and frankly the real difference to me is that Honda has a 10 speed auto vs CVT in the Maxima. Have heard too many CVT horror stories and just don't like them for the way I like to drive.

I have had 5 different Maxima's (all 4th-5.5 gen) so I am hopeful Nissan might bring back the Maxima to its glory days in the future (400z motor?) But if you are looking for a good compromise might look at the Accord,
Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 AM

The Accord is a great car but a step down in features and looks. Plus you see yourself coming and going all day.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:48 AM

Was at the dealer for an oil change and one of the salesmen came up to me and said they were offering 125% trade in value for my Maxima since apparently people really want 2016-2019 Maximas? (Used they are a great value tbh). So heads up for anyone looking to upgrade or get a newer year Maxima.

Also, I asked about seeing the 40th Anniversary (just to see it in person) and they only got 2 so far, and both were apparently immediately sold. So good to know there are more Maxima diehards out there in the wild haha
Old 12-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
Was at the dealer for an oil change and one of the salesmen came up to me and said they were offering 125% trade in value for my Maxima since apparently people really want 2016-2019 Maximas? (Used they are a great value tbh). So heads up for anyone looking to upgrade or get a newer year Maxima.

Also, I asked about seeing the 40th Anniversary (just to see it in person) and they only got 2 so far, and both were apparently immediately sold. So good to know there are more Maxima diehards out there in the wild haha
i still have my 2017, and I still prefer the styling over the 2019 update. wasn’t a fan of the more square look that they moved to... which were starting to see across their whole lineup of cars

Old 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM

This week I sent eMail off to Nissan Corp Communications. Since Nissan Next program is now complete i was wondering
if they could provide any information on any future Maxima ? I knew they would not tell me there future plans but the reply was kind of interesting.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________
Hi Randy:

We definitely appreciate your loyalty and enthusiasm for Maxima. It’s had a great history so far…longer under one name than any other vehicle in our lineup.

We haven’t announced any details for the future Maxima, so not much I can share today. Given that Maxima was all-new for the 2016 model year,
new models like Sentra, Rogue, Versa, etc. were due for redesign first since they had been in market a couple of years longer.
We did simplify the Maxima lineup a bit for 2021 to focus on the most popular models, and added the 40th Anniversary Edition that has a pretty sweet two-tone exterior and red leather interior.

Sorry I don’t have more future inside scoop that I can share. But know that Maxima remains an important model in our lineup!

Cheers,
Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Randy
This week I sent eMail off to Nissan Corp Communications. Since Nissan Next program is now complete i was wondering
if they could provide any information on any future Maxima ? I knew they would not tell me there future plans but the reply was kind of interesting.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________
Hi Randy:

We definitely appreciate your loyalty and enthusiasm for Maxima. It’s had a great history so far…longer under one name than any other vehicle in our lineup.

We haven’t announced any details for the future Maxima, so not much I can share today. Given that Maxima was all-new for the 2016 model year,
new models like Sentra, Rogue, Versa, etc. were due for redesign first since they had been in market a couple of years longer.
We did simplify the Maxima lineup a bit for 2021 to focus on the most popular models, and added the 40th Anniversary Edition that has a pretty sweet two-tone exterior and red leather interior.

Sorry I don’t have more future inside scoop that I can share. But know that Maxima remains an important model in our lineup!

Cheers,
From the tone of this message, sounds like they're planning on a new Maxima.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by phattyaltnatl
From the tone of this message, sounds like they're planning on a new Maxima.
The 9th generation Maxima will probably be an all electric one. I'm not real excited about that.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by jerseydevil
The 9th generation Maxima will probably be an all electric one. I'm not real excited about that.
Electric would be cool, I would be more worried about the build quality. I was going to update a post I made a while back with more issues but I will say it here as well... The build quality of this car is just garbage, The people who assembled this car down there in Tennessee not only did a **** poor job, they should all loose there job. I wouldn't expect this amount of carelessness on a car that's 20 grand let alone 40 grand.

Its a shame cause I have had a '17 and now a '20 and the car is just awesome but I am thankful I am only leasing and didn't agree to pay for the entire price... I would be so beyond pissed if that were the case.

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more