8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Some penny pinching still exist in this 8th

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 AM

Some penny pinching still exist in this 8th

Browsing around I notice Nissan bean counter is still at work.

The 8th gen still only has autodimming driver-side outside mirror only still missing for the passenger-side. If it is a matter of pricing, make it as an option. This particular feature could be installed by the dealers.

Auto express up and down windows is not on all windows. They could at least have that option on the driver side controls but it express up and down is only on the front windows.

For those who already purchase the 8th gen Platinum, could you please post if the Intelligent key is truly intelligent. By which I means, it is able to recognize each key as a unique ID and adjust the driver memory seat/mirror/steering wheel settings accordingly?

Another question, if you press the Intelligent key remote door unlock, does it toot the horn or does it chirp like if you press the button on the door handles?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:55 PM

To have all windows auto up/down doesnt even cost anything. It's just programming. They should really have that feature available and folding mirrors also.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:25 PM

I'll second the power folding mirrors. Had them on some of my Maximas prior to my current '12. Knocked one off the '12 backing out of the garage (totally my fault) and it over $600 to replace.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 PM

IMO, I wouldn't call it penny pinching but more positioning the vehicle to have features and a price point that aims for the target customer while managing complexity and variations so that it's easier for dealers to deliver the model you want.

Autodimming mirror is nice but in my experience, it's the driver side that matters and not the passenger side as when driving at night and looking straight ahead, it's the glare from the driver side that is within your line of sight looking forward. Would it be nice to have it on the passenger side as well? Sure but would someone want to pay more for it, or give up something else to have it? That's the question.

Same thing for auto up/down power windows. Every feature is about cost. To have auto down, you need to be able to sense when the window has reached all the way down which means additional sensors or circuitry. To have auto up, you need to meet anti pinch requirements which adds to cost. I'm sure no one will say they wouldn't mind having auto up/down on all 4 windows but truth be told, auto up/down benefits the driver most, followed by the passenger, and then the rear occupants.

Folding mirrors add weight and cost and it's not a very common feature in the US, as spaces are wider and the need is less than say Japan where they MUST fold their mirror to fit in to some parking spots.

So instead of putting the cost towards these features, they focused on interior materials or adding standard features like navigation and larger information displays that could gain more appreciation or appeal.

At the end of the day, you could decide to put just about every feature known to mankind on a vehicle but then someone is going to have to pay for it ... and if you price yourself too high, you miss out. My thoughts.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:56 AM

I will give my 2 cents on the supposed cost difference.
I once had to replace a side mirror on the friends Accord with manual side mirrors. When I looked up the pricing, the manual mirror cost more than the electric version.

I doubt there is tangible cost difference between full auto vs front or driver auto windows. All the sensors are already built in, the difference is in the master switch and wiring/programming.
Personally, what makes me more upset is the fact that all these features were on the Maxima in previous generations and Nissan took them away, as if "THEY" know better.
Instead of looking at each new car as opportunity to improve upon the previous model, they re-evaluate existing features and cut some to save on cost.
4 windows full auto - have it on my 09 maxima
electric folding side mirrors - was option on the 6th gen
proximity sensors - was option on the 6th gen
if someone can explain why Nissan only installed 2 sensors in each bumper of 8th gen instead of usual 4 or 6, I would be interested to know.
removal of paddle shifters from every trim, but SR?! leave it be, that was the cool feature for me in 7th gen
Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 AM

It is done in consideration of the infiniti line.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Steevo,

Even the Infiniti Q50 do not have auto express on all 4 windows and Infiniiti is suppose to compete against the like of Audi. All Audis comes with express on all 4 windows and similar to VW cars.

There must be other reasons that is not so obvious.

Any answer on the chirp/horn sounds from the remote. Since both chirp and horn are used, how hard is it to program to allow one or the other for both remote and door handle button functionality. If silence can be enabled, why not allow more option to allow the owner to chose the sound. I preferably like the chirp for all. The horn is just too noisy and annoying.

If programming cost extra, why not just go back to the originally day and only offer horn notification which would be the cheapest. Or go the other way and just notify with chirp for everything.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by hieppo
Steevo,

Even the Infiniti Q50 do not have auto express on all 4 windows and Infiniiti is suppose to compete against the like of Audi. All Audis comes with express on all 4 windows and similar to VW cars.
Q50 definitely has auto up/down on all 4 windows:

Name:  zf7jQn7.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  28.0 KB
Old 06-24-2015, 06:34 PM

Yes its all cost cutting and not wanting to Step into Infiniti's market. I thought maybe the two proximity sensors would be something new and capable of sensing the same as 4 sensors but that isn't true since any Infiniti with proximity sensors have 4 minimum. They need to invent new tech features because they can't get away with just removing tech which has existed for years. There is competition who make this tech standard after a few years. Nissan must think they're apple.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by pocketrocket
IMO, I wouldn't call it penny pinching but more positioning the vehicle to have features and a price point that aims for the target customer while managing complexity and variations so that it's easier for dealers to deliver the model you want.

Autodimming mirror is nice but in my experience, it's the driver side that matters and not the passenger side as when driving at night and looking straight ahead, it's the glare from the driver side that is within your line of sight looking forward. Would it be nice to have it on the passenger side as well? Sure but would someone want to pay more for it, or give up something else to have it? That's the question.

Same thing for auto up/down power windows. Every feature is about cost. To have auto down, you need to be able to sense when the window has reached all the way down which means additional sensors or circuitry. To have auto up, you need to meet anti pinch requirements which adds to cost. I'm sure no one will say they wouldn't mind having auto up/down on all 4 windows but truth be told, auto up/down benefits the driver most, followed by the passenger, and then the rear occupants.

Folding mirrors add weight and cost and it's not a very common feature in the US, as spaces are wider and the need is less than say Japan where they MUST fold their mirror to fit in to some parking spots.

So instead of putting the cost towards these features, they focused on interior materials or adding standard features like navigation and larger information displays that could gain more appreciation or appeal.

At the end of the day, you could decide to put just about every feature known to mankind on a vehicle but then someone is going to have to pay for it ... and if you price yourself too high, you miss out. My thoughts.

Well put. I have had converstations with folks at Nissan regarding several of these points. For instance, Nissan did an extensive survey soon after the 7th gen was released, and less than 20% of responders felt the auto-up-down window feature on the rear door windows was meaningful to them. I disagreed, but was in the small minority.

I also liked the power folding outside mirrors, but Nissan gave us mirrors that tilt down for curb-viewing when reversing to park, mirrors that are tied to the multiple driver automatic adjustment system (including height and tilt of both seat and seatback and height and angle of steering wheel) and they gave us turn signal lights on the outside mirrors.

The cost of each little feature may not seem great, but when enough little things are added, the total adds up. The Maxima is at a point where price is now at a fairly critical point. If we are to pay true luxury prices for the Maxima, then the field of competition widens considerably.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-25-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:15 AM

What was common opinion in 2009 isn't necessarily relevant anymore. Things have moved on electronically and we're in a world of convenience. When people see convenience features standard on other brands, like Kia/Hyundai, they expect them on higher brands/models like the Maxima. I don't know if rear auto up/down is standard on any Kia/Hyundai models, I just used them as an example, as they weren't as prevalent then as they are now methinks.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
What was common opinion in 2009 isn't necessarily relevant anymore. Things have moved on electronically and we're in a world of convenience. When people see convenience features standard on other brands, like Kia/Hyundai, they expect them on higher brands/models like the Maxima. I don't know if rear auto up/down is standard on any Kia/Hyundai models, I just used them as an example, as they weren't as prevalent then as they are now methinks.
You are correct that auto up-down in the rear seat was not common when the 7th gen was being designed in 2006. I think the survey Nissan did was in late 2009 or early 2010, and the option was dropped from the 2011 Maxima.

No matter what anyone says, every option of this sort DOES add to the bottom line. Nissan is obviously spending a lot more money on the interior finish in this 8th gen than they ever did on any previous Maxima, and the money has to come from somewhere.

Yes, I use the auto up-down in my '09 almost every time I drive it, but will give that up for this wonderful new interior.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM

"No matter what anyone says, every option of this sort DOES add to the bottom line."

I won't disagree with this.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM

They also gave us remote start. Don't think it was on other gen Maxima's but I could be wrong. I use it on my '16 SR so I don't miss the auto down windows in the back
Old 06-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Also Navigation standard across the board.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mdfergus
They also gave us remote start. Don't think it was on other gen Maxima's but I could be wrong. I use it on my '16 SR so I don't miss the auto down windows in the back
Having the remote start and navigation standard are way more important to me than the auto back window feature.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 AM

If it all comes down to cost, why does all manufacturers just give us a bare plain Jane model and make you chose your options or trim level to get all your toy. It is because one of the cost saving is to minimize assembly line differences to install the different items.

I noticed the non-luxury brand does this quite a bit. But if you look at the Audi, BMW, Mercedes and others, you will see they offer a bare back nothing model to keep the basic price low to make it seem competing with the non-luxury manufacturers. And they then provide many available options to make the car buyer wants. This is possible since luxury market is less volume but profit from the higher prices.

Now I understand Nissan is trying to go and compete with the luxury models by providing a trim level that provides all the toys that the luxury models must add to get the correct choice.

So why can't Nissan do that too? It is not like a high volume model.

It is difficult to classify options whether it is essentials, nice to have or luxury. Items like navigation is becoming more standard equipment since the cost is absorb into the vehicle. Just like when power locks and windows became a standard item. So too will navigation.

So if you truly want to distinguish yourself as luxury over the standard norm, item like express windows which is standard on luxury model should be in a competing model.

Just like removing LED for brake lights but providing LED for main low-beam. What is wrong with leaving LED for the brake lights where I think would benefit from the LED quick on response than using a standard halogen bulb. LED in the headlights is just a current fad and possible cost benefit because HID in the previous gen is a brighter technology.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Does the new maxima have the feature where you hold the unlock button and the windows go down? I loved than on my 4th gen.
My 6th gen has the power folding mirrors, this is great feature. Ditch the turn signal and make them fold in.
Auto up/down windows should be all around, it is nice to have feature and doesn't add much to the price.
Back up sensors is useless. I hate them. Ditch them for a camera.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by zillafreak
Does the new maxima have the feature where you hold the unlock button and the windows go down? I loved than on my 4th gen.
My 6th gen has the power folding mirrors, this is great feature. Ditch the turn signal and make them fold in.
Auto up/down windows should be all around, it is nice to have feature and doesn't add much to the price.
Back up sensors is useless. I hate them. Ditch them for a camera.
Unless I am mistaken, government regulations are now going to require backup camers (rear view monitors) in all vehicles sold in the U.S. I think all 2016 Maximas have backup cameras standard. But the sonar detectors in the rear can alert the driver who may not have looked as closely as he should have at the camera display. Anything that may help to avoid backing over a child is good.

I love the auto-up-down rear door windows, but understand Nissan's survey showed more folks wanted things like standard remote start and standard navi package more. The cost line has to be drawn somewhere.