8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima spoiler installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:23 PM

2016 Maxima spoiler installation

Just installed oem sport spoiler today. Took me about 2hrs.
Ordered on Ebay. Total cost $294.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:01 PM

Great information!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:34 PM

Great job on both install and write up.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM

Very nice set of instructions!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:24 AM

Thanks for this. Hope to do it soon.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Thanks for sharing your expertise! What did you treat the bare metal holes with so they don't rust? Was this an official Nissan part? I was impressed they supplied a template as well. Looks like the electrical connections are already there in the trunk area?

thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Thanks for sharing your expertise! What did you treat the bare metal holes with so they don't rust? Was this an official Nissan part? I was impressed they supplied a template as well. Looks like the electrical connections are already there in the trunk area?

thanks
This is factory Nissan spoiler, part #T99J1-4RA1B.
Of course I use rust preventive to treat the holes, and looks like all
trims are "spoiler ready", just plug the connector.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:30 PM

It didn't come with Torsions Bars?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by faze2988
It didn't come with Torsions Bars?
Torsion bars, and trunk lid seal included.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM

Great instructions. I picked up the premium spoiler from the dealer. Ordered it online from their parts store for $235. Looking to install it this weekend. Has anybody done the torsion bars themselves? Looks to be the worst part of the process.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:59 PM

Look sweet on that tail. Are you going to cancel the interior brake light?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Update

I installed the premium spoiler today. I did not swap out the torsion bars as the trunk still popped open with ease and did not slam. Still have the parts if they need to be changed down the road, but definitely would have been the worst part of the install. The spoiler itself was pretty easy to put on: all plug and play. Looks great, really finishes off the rear end.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tmokorn
I installed the premium spoiler today. I did not swap out the torsion bars as the trunk still popped open with ease and did not slam. Still have the parts if they need to be changed down the road, but definitely would have been the worst part of the install. The spoiler itself was pretty easy to put on: all plug and play. Looks great, really finishes off the rear end.

Can you take some add'l pics if you don't mind? I'd like to see the profile and view from a standing position. I want to install this on the car too. Waiting for the wife to give me the OK. :roll eyes: Where did you get the spoiler from? Dealer or aftermarket?
Old 07-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by raven69david
Can you take some add'l pics if you don't mind? I'd like to see the profile and view from a standing position. I want to install this on the car too. Waiting for the wife to give me the OK. :roll eyes: Where did you get the spoiler from? Dealer or aftermarket?
I got it from the dealer, but ordered online from their e-store. If you buy anything at the dealer in person you get ripped off. For a few bucks more just get Nissan original parts and accessories opposed to taking the risk on eBay or other aftermarket retailers IMO. Everything is included in the kit and works as it should with no surprises. I'm very happy with it. After I installed it I actually ordered the same one for our other maxima platinum. I like the sport shape but I wanted the color to match so both are premium spoilerssince neither car is black. More pictures are below as requested.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM

Great instructions. I picked up the premium spoiler from the dealer. Ordered it online from their parts store for $235. Looking to install it this weekend. Has anybody done the torsion bars themselves? Looks to be the worst part of the process.
Hello! Did it come matching your car color? If so, how close did it match - very well? Also - did you mean $325? I can't find the website with that price.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MyMax1
Hello! Did it come matching your car color? If so, how close did it match - very well? Also - did you mean $325? I can't find the website with that price.

Thanks
Ordering from the dealer, the paint codes are all factory matched. See the photos I posted earlier: the color is the same. $325 is the msrp. My local dealer offers 15% off online for all parts/accessories so their price is $276. They had an additional promotion for 15% off making it $235. I did the installation myself to save money.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM

Great, thanks for the pictures and info!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:07 PM

I got it from the dealer, but ordered online from their e-store. If you buy anything at the dealer in person you get ripped off. For a few bucks more just get Nissan original parts and accessories opposed to taking the risk on eBay or other aftermarket retailers IMO. Everything is included in the kit and works as it should with no surprises. I'm very happy with it. After I installed it I actually ordered the same one for our other maxima platinum. I like the sport shape but I wanted the color to match so both are premium spoilerssince neither car is black. More pictures are below as requested.

Is that another 2016 in Red in the second garage? Nice!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 PM

DANG THAT LOOKS NICE!!!! I'm super scared of drilling my new car so I'll take it to my mechanic who does all my work on my Lexus since he works for Lexus. A big THANK YOU for going out of your way and taking those pics for me/us.

In Texas, there's no way I could stand on my driveway barefoot.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just finished installing spoiler. Was not an easy job

Old 09-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice job, that looks sharp!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:10 PM

Can't wait to do my SL thanks for the write up!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dignyc
Looks good! What did you have trouble with? Did you have an actual factory spoiler? From Nissan direct it comes with the template you need. Simply line it up, tape it on, drill the holes, paint with a little rust inhibitor, and it snaps in. The wiring is already there, which otherwise would have been the most challenging part. It helps to have an extra hand to line it up and get the adhesive on evenly in one shot. It took me longer to go out and get the right drill bit size. I didn't swap out the torsion bars, you need a Nissan tech tool to do that. I did our 16 platinum and 16 SL. Took 30 mins tops each.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:31 PM

I want to put a spoiler on my Platinum, but I am scared sh**less to drill holes in my trunk lid!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dignyc

Which roof spoiler did you install. Car looks great!
Old 09-28-2017, 07:18 AM

aftermarket spoiler you guys acquired has a better way to secure it.
my factory has two effin plastic nuts at the ends.

anyone know what thread size the factory spoiler studs have?
otherwise, i have to hunt down the size at work..
Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
aftermarket spoiler you guys acquired has a better way to secure it.
my factory has two effin plastic nuts at the ends.

anyone know what thread size the factory spoiler studs have?
otherwise, i have to hunt down the size at work..
Not sure if I understand your post, but the plastic is simply a snap in post on the ends with bolt down studs in the middle. The 3M double sided tape also secures the spoiler.

Like somebody else said, the factory spoiler is a piece of cake with the provided trunk template. Using a hole punch and new drill bits, the process couldn't have been any easier. The only hiccup was the metal burs to remove mostly on the inside part of the freshly drilled holes.

It seems the aftermarket and factory spoiler look identical. The price difference comes down to whether you prefer a simpler installation with the factory vs the cheaper price of the aftermarket.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by chris41
Not sure if I understand your post, but the plastic is simply a snap in post on the ends with bolt down studs in the middle. The 3M double sided tape also secures the spoiler.

Like somebody else said, the factory spoiler is a piece of cake with the provided trunk template. Using a hole punch and new drill bits, the process couldn't have been any easier. The only hiccup was the metal burs to remove mostly on the inside part of the freshly drilled holes.

It seems the aftermarket and factory spoiler look identical. The price difference comes down to whether you prefer a simpler installation with the factory vs the cheaper price of the aftermarket.
the car had a rear end july '16.
the shop replaced the trunk and sport spoiler.

well, the white plastic pieces at the ends are the main trouble i have.
the body shop cannot fix both ends because it lifts up.
they have retaped and retaped, and still does it.
i think they reuse that plastic piece whenever they reworked/removed it.

it wastes my time going there and leaving it at least two days at a time with same results.
i think i have returned there almost 3x for the spoiler issue. labor/work warranty.
this time, i will make them replace it with brand new oem.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Spoiler

Originally Posted by grhmw
I want to put a spoiler on my Platinum, but I am scared sh**less to drill holes in my trunk lid!!!
you may want to consider the duckbill spoiler from SpoilerKing. Should be under $100, and I like the look better than the factory stuff. Easy installation, though you may want to have two people help you for about five minutes to help you place it so you can control the middle and tape removal and they can control the ends. My son and I did it and it's just a tiny bit off. I installed using only tape after reviewing the Stillen instructions about the front splitter - clean, scuff, clean, adhesion promoter, place - without drilling holes for the provided screws - and after five months and repeated excursions at speeds we're not supposed to talk about, it's still hanging on tight. and if it falls off, it's less than 100. Paintable to match as long as you use flex agent. And best of all I can take it off with fishing line and adhesive remover, and won't have holes to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Maxima spoiler installation-wp_20170701_002-1-.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DeLuc05
Which roof spoiler did you install. Car looks great!
thanks, roof spoiler is from spoiler king, unpainted black very easy to install
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looks good! What did you have trouble with? Did you have an actual factory spoiler? From Nissan direct it comes with the template you need. Simply line it up, tape it on, drill the holes, paint with a little rust inhibitor, and it snaps in. The wiring is already there, which otherwise would have been the most challenging part. It helps to have an extra hand to line it up and get the adhesive on evenly in one shot. It took me longer to go out and get the right drill bit size. I didn't swap out the torsion bars, you need a Nissan tech tool to do that. I did our 16 platinum and 16 SL. Took 30 mins tops each.
Its an aftermarket spoiler. No template just strips that line up. The issue was the bolts inside the trunk on the far left and right corners. Almost impossible to get into the tight corner had to use a tiny wrench to tighten the bolts