8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Install ambient strip lighting?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 AM

Install ambient strip lighting?

So I had the dealer install the footwell/cupholder lighting and the exterior ground lights. I would like to add the lighting that goes across the dash and doors like on the platinum, except I would like it to be color changing to match the footwell lights and to include the back doors. Any ideas on how and where to get this done? is the ambient strips on the platinum color changing, or do they keep that pale blue glow I've seen in all the pictures?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:22 AM

That ambient lighting is also on the SL and I think the SR versions and no it does not color change and even at its brightest setting its barely noticeable unless you're in a pitch black area. What it is is a very few LEDs lighting a tube that is run along that gap between panels. I'm sure you could get lighting added at some Low Voltage/Custom shop, but it will not be an easy task and I'm sure it won't be cheap.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by acamarillo View Post
So I had the dealer install the footwell/cupholder lighting and the exterior ground lights. I would like to add the lighting that goes across the dash and doors like on the platinum, except I would like it to be color changing to match the footwell lights and to include the back doors. Any ideas on how and where to get this done? is the ambient strips on the platinum color changing, or do they keep that pale blue glow I've seen in all the pictures?
Not worth it - my other cars are a lot brighter (even distracting) and extend to the rear (Maxima is only driver door, passenger door, and above glove box). It's more of a beige than pale blue, btw.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Yeah man, interior lighting can be tricky. Remember manufactures spend 10's of millions on research and development to get these thing right, sometimes not so perfect, but regardless, there's a lot of time getting all the angles and intensity just right. You're not going to have an easy go of this with experimenting on a brand new car.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the opinions and info. I don't want to install the factory stuff - it looked too light in the pictures and I wanted it to be color changing and go to the back doors also. But y'all are probably right, that it wouldn't be easy and it would not be worth it in the long run.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM

LED interior lamp upgrades

I added a 6-bar kit from LEDGLOW.com to my Platinum. It's MUCH brighter, footwells, dash, under the seats, and across the row in back. I have complete control of color, brightness, and there are some cool schemes that can be enabled with the provided remote (like music pulse, and light show, etc).

I spent around $125 for the kit, and had it installed in an hour. Its all USB Micro connections, connected to a fuse mounted power lug. I also set it up so that it comes on when I unlock the car, so I don't have to get the remote out, which defeated my purpose of having the car light up as I approach. That.s safety, and vanity right there

Call 'em, good people. 1-877-LED-GLOW
Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mikeq00 View Post
I added a 6-bar kit from LEDGLOW.com to my Platinum. It's MUCH brighter, footwells, dash, under the seats, and across the row in back. I have complete control of color, brightness, and there are some cool schemes that can be enabled with the provided remote (like music pulse, and light show, etc).

I spent around $125 for the kit, and had it installed in an hour. Its all USB Micro connections, connected to a fuse mounted power lug. I also set it up so that it comes on when I unlock the car, so I don't have to get the remote out, which defeated my purpose of having the car light up as I approach. That.s safety, and vanity right there

Would you mind sharing some pictures? I've installed an LED light system in my footwells and under the seats, but I'm curious to see what you did for your dash and the back row.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Yes. Pics would be nice to see. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikeq00 View Post

It took me awhile to figure out that my Platinum had the stock lighting in the dash and front doors. At it's brightest setting it is almost not noticeable.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
It took me awhile to figure out that my Platinum had the stock lighting in the dash and front doors. At it's brightest setting it is almost not noticeable.
Do all Platinum's have the lighting in the dash and doors? I just bought my Platinum 2 weeks ago and I haven't noticed any lights on my dash or doors.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by grhmw View Post
Do all Platinum's have the lighting in the dash and doors? I just bought my Platinum 2 weeks ago and I haven't noticed any lights on my dash or doors.
All Platinums have these very thin and dim lights across the dash and front doors. They are thin and dim because they would otherwise be distracting while we are driving on dark roads at night.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:15 AM

The intensity of those lights are adjustable. I don't recall offhand if it's via the IP settings or entertainment settings.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:40 PM

I found the settings for it, it was turned way down. I turned it all the way up. It's definitely not bright at all.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 AM

I found the settings for it, it was turned way down. I turned it all the way up. It's definitely not bright at all.
where was the setting for it ?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:24 AM

bump
Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do all platinum's have the lights in the floor and cup holder?
Old 07-01-2017, 01:21 PM

No, it was an accessory option.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No, it was an accessory option.
damnit I feel duped
Old 07-01-2017, 09:35 PM

I ended up just installing aftermarket ones, came out good, took around 30 mins.. too bad opt7 quality control is awful. ended up liking it so much on my max i did it on my 17' rogue too.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by punkfs View Post
I ended up just installing aftermarket ones, came out good, took around 30 mins.. too bad opt7 quality control is awful. ended up liking it so much on my max i did it on my 17' rogue too.

Nice job man!! Looks sickkkk
Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2018 platinum

I'm leasing a 2018 platinum tomorrow ! And i need a definitive answer on whether all '18 platinums have ambient lighting. My dealer says "not all". I disagreed. Where are they(switches) located? Also, where would accent lighting switch(es) be located?!
Thanks, folks...
Old 12-29-2018, 01:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The colored lights are controlled by a switch in the center armrest. The lights that run along the dash are controlled in the gauge cluster under the settings menu under vehicle settings/ lighting/ accent lighting.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 05130513 View Post
I'm leasing a 2018 platinum tomorrow ! And i need a definitive answer on whether all '18 platinums have ambient lighting. My dealer says "not all". I disagreed. Where are they(switches) located? Also, where would accent lighting switch(es) be located?!
Thanks, folks...
The ambient lighting on the dash and front doors are so dim (even at highest setting) you'd be hard pressed to know they are standard on the Platinum. The accent lighting is definately an extra cost item. I have it but haven't changed the colors for months so they are just a "nice to have".
Old 12-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
The ambient lighting on the dash and front doors are so dim (even at highest setting) you'd be hard pressed to know they are standard on the Platinum. The accent lighting is definately an extra cost item. I have it but haven't changed the colors for months so they are just a "nice to have".
I have a 17 Platinum and figured I just didn't have the dash/door lighting because I couldn't see any light. I'll crank it up all the way on the settings and look again, thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM

Oops
Old 02-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love it. I am going to do this on my 19 Altima. Your lights look great. Good job.