8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 dashboard rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 dashboard rattles

Hello all,

I have a relatively new build 2016 Maxima. I have lived with an annoying dashboard rattle each winter. No rattles in summer, but they come back every winter. It appears it is more so towards the drivers side, but it is very annoying. Has anyone else had this, and if so, any fix?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've noticed the same thing in my 2016 when the temp drops. No idea where the rattle is coming from though.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Mine SR does rattle on summer. On winter, it ride like a limo. Nissan bad testing cycle.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:49 PM

My 16 SR used to have the faint rattle from the steering column. This faint rattle happens only when we drive over rough pavement like concrete surface on the highway. But during my latest road trip from Bay Area to San Diego, an additional rattle from the center dash console developed all of a sudden. I don't recall hitting any major pothole or anything, but suddenly the center console started to rattle pretty loudly. I swear something came loose behind the infotainment system, maybe a broken plastic clip or something. It is super annoying to me know, much more so than just the rattle from the steering column as this is much more noticeable.

The next time I bring the car in to the dealership for maintenance, I will bring up this rattle to the service manager. Hopefully it can be fixed. But knowing so many other owners having the same rattle from the center dash console, I guess it is not a real fixable item.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Ehh.. once Maxima (Nissan) hits cold temps it rattles like a rattlesnake. I have confirmations from a live user. I brought Maxima from LA to NYC and it rattles all over the place.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Vincent Tripicchio
Hello all,

I have a relatively new build 2016 Maxima. I have lived with an annoying dashboard rattle each winter. No rattles in summer, but they come back every winter. It appears it is more so towards the drivers side, but it is very annoying. Has anyone else had this, and if so, any fix?

Thanks
Same issue here. Once the interior heats up it goes away. I think it is coming from the gauge hood but I can't seem to figure out how to snug it down.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 PM

I have a 2017 SL and it creeks/rattles all year round. Dashboard and rear seat/deck area. Very annoying!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:39 PM

same here. In the 30's the chrome strip on rear of the car creaked-- now in the 20's and below the entire area driver's side dashboard seems to squeak and creak. I've had this car since 2015 and it never did this before. It doesn't go away when interior warms up so it must emanate from the outside--maybe the windshield area? It happens from 3-75 MPH--stops at idle. Very annoying...I've pushed and prodded everywhere and can't isolate the source...
Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Hello all,

Thanks
I too have some very cold weather creaking near the bottom of the drivers side of the windshield. It has to be less that 20 degrees. My 2016 was made on Oct of 2015. Everything is quiet once warmer weather appears. Not sure it is worth the hassel to pull the W/S or screw with the dash but then again my lease is up in 10 months. I can live with it for now
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Goraki
Same issue here. Once the interior heats up it goes away. I think it is coming from the gauge hood but I can't seem to figure out how to snug it down.
Mine is doing the same thing and I agree it seems to be coming from about that same location. It only seems to happen when the car is VERY cold, like below 20F for me. I had a 45 minute drive in 15F and it never did stop rattling. I think I had the climate control set for floor at 69 degrees.

It is a pretty annoying rattle when it happens.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You guys just talked me out of getting a 17 maxima, lol

I HATE rattles and its the number one thing i look for in a car. I would not fair well with this if its a major known issue.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Sorry lone star eagle,

Hate to say it but your probably right. I think everyone has some issue with this. If it's a big deal to you , you probably should move on.

On the plus side, if you stay away from the SR trim and live in a warm climate... you may endure less rattles and noises than most. Read through the threads to see that trend.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Hello all,

Thanks
Same here. I have a 2016 SR and I hear a clicking noise towards the drivers side dash when going over bumps. I have not been able to figure out exactly where and don't want the dealership to tear up the car looking for it. I have brainwashed myself enough to get used to it.... I will probably trade it in anyway for a platinum since I hate the bumpy SR ride.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:32 AM

plastics, secured by plastics, next to other types plastics and metals ...
all things expands and shrinks at different rates and temperatures.
automakers has been solving these noises by squeezing felt or similar materials between them.

i guess i have become accustomed with the noises... or i am deaf...
too lazy to look for the source(s).
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM

My 2016 has been completely rattle free. 90F or -17C (coldest to date).

HOWEVER, if there is ice on the vehicle it will cause a lot of creaking, particularly from rear window to trunk lid.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dealer resolved the very cold weather rattle

the local dealer resolves the loud rattle I had when it was very cold. It was the plastic piece under the windshield wipers. The removed it and used adhesive pads to quiet it down.

Now unfortunatly, I have a quitter rattle in the summer that sounds like it is right behind the navigation unit. I’m taking it back in to get this resolved.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by weazel
the local dealer resolves the loud rattle I had when it was very cold. It was the plastic piece under the windshield wipers. The removed it and used adhesive pads to quiet it down.

Now unfortunatly, I have a quitter rattle in the summer that sounds like it is right behind the navigation unit. I’m taking it back in to get this resolved.
From outside?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not sure what "From outside?" means.

Originally I had a rattle that happened only when it was very cold. (maybe something like 10 degrees or below) That was resolved by the dealer. They removed the black plastic piece between the hood and windshield. (it is outside and it runs the width of the car) That piece might be called a cowl. It was stiff when it was cold and was moving around. Every little bump it made noise.

I'm not sure what I was referring to with the other noise. I think it is the sunglasses holder. It would rattle sometimes when my sunglasses were in it and it actually the entire piece needed to be pushed up at some point due to a rattle. Once I pushed it up into the headliner, that noise went away.

To troubleshoot rattle noises, empty your glovebox, center console, sunglass holder, cup holders and the door compartments. See if it still makes the noise. Have someone ride with you who can try to help locate it. If you think the noise may be outside the car, have someone outside listening. (it is a 2 person operation in most cases to find these noises)
Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM

I have discovered the source of rattle. I thought it was coming from dashboard, then from underneath the steering column, then from seats or god knows from else where. Turns out it’s this plastic thing.

It only rattles when temps are at 45 F and lower . When you going over rough surface it will sound like Geiger Counters. Anyways see the video. When you hear that noise just get of accelerator pedal and press your boot to the right side plastic trim it will immediately go away. Funny that this noise travels and make you think it’s coming from the dashboard.

https://streamable.com/rv9iv

Last edited by NisCal17; 04-04-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:09 PM

Interesting. Thank you; I'll have to kick mine.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
I have discovered the source of rattle. I thought it was coming from dashboard, then from underneath the steering column, then from seats or god knows from else where. Turns out it’s this plastic thing.

It only rattles when temps are at 45 F and lower . When you going over rough surface it will sound like Geiger Counters. Anyways see the video. When you hear that noise just get of accelerator pedal and press your boot to the right side plastic trim it will immediately go away. Funny that this noise travels and make you think it’s coming from the dashboard.

https://streamable.com/rv9iv
Well done. Thanks for the tip!