8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Loss of power / lengthy hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loss of power / lengthy hesitation

Has anyone experienced this yet? In my 16 SR, as I apply throttle the engine plateaus at some fixed rpm, probably around 1000 with no promise of anything more. All three occurances were either in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear. It can last for up to 20 seconds, or a few as 5. I've experienced it three times. The one yesterday happened in addition to a Forward Emergency Braking light. Not sure what the warning is, but it only happened once and not since.

Last edited by geauxnow; 04-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM

Dealer time.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:33 AM

Dealer time

your car does not have gears
Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM

The Forward Emergency Braking light means the front RADAR detected something ahead that was closing on you. It beeps if it continues a then starts applying the brake if it detects things out of hand.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM

Ditto, time to see the dealer

It will add one thing to what Lemonhalk said too... the Braking system can get fooled sometimes by buried railroad tracks. It's given me a couple of false alarms. I reccomend slowing way down if you are coming up on some tracks... especially raised ones.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Forgot to update this after inspection. Cleaned the battery post, don't recall if positive or negative, and all symptoms vanished reminding me again how sensitive electronics are to clean and steady power.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by geauxnow
Forgot to update this after inspection. Cleaned the battery post, don't recall if positive or negative, and all symptoms vanished reminding me again how sensitive electronics are to clean and steady power.
Very ironic that you posted this outcome. Thanks! I went and checked my (original) battery terminals and both were heavily loaded with corrosion at 36,500 miles. The positive terminal was the worst of the corrosion, but also hardest to see due to the red cap covering it. I immediately mixed up some baking soda paste and applied it liberally before wiping the posts off. Think I'll recoat them again later this week. Anyone else see something like this?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 AM

Corrosion on the battery terminals usually means you have a leak somewhere on the battery. sealed battery=zero corrosion. Point being, you may be wise to replace the battery too...
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Corrosion on the battery terminals usually means you have a leak somewhere on the battery. sealed battery=zero corrosion. Point being, you may be wise to replace the battery too...
Good suggestion. My wife and I replace the batteries in each of our vehicles every three years. Yes, the battery may be good for several more years. Or maybe not. But we live in a blistering climate (middle Georgia), and live intown, which means we often take short trips (less than a mile) with maybe six to ten stops and restarts enroute. That is hard on a battery.

When we were younger, we kept batteries until they died. But, as most here know, I am older than Methusela, and would not survive very long if stuck out in any desolate area in 90 degree heat. Or in winter in 45 degree cold. We refill our fuel tanks soon after they drop below the halfway mark. I fully intend to live to be age 100 (and drive gens 9 and 10 Maximas), and decided long ago that there is no reason to take unnecessary chances. Just driving on any highway these days is risky enough, especially in Atlanta. There are some fruit cake escapees (nuts) out there. We see them almost daily blowing stop lights and yield signs and crosswalk signs and passing on double yellow lines. Even passing stopped school busses. And we see folks getting traffic citations fairly often also. Why ask for trouble?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Maybe and maybe not. A poor terminal connection can cause these issues with corrosion as an after effect. I cleaned my battery terminals and cable ends with a wire brush terminal cleaner. We also put the battery in a load checking test and it passed fine. I'll continue to watch for more corrosion, then decide to replace.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Some caution about using those terminal cleaning brushes is that they also can reduce the diameter of the terminal post and aggravate contnued crrosion at the terminal besides making the connection a little loose!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Some caution about using those terminal cleaning brushes is that they also can reduce the diameter of the terminal post and aggravate contnued crrosion at the terminal besides making the connection a little loose!
Scotch-brite pad then coat with Vaseline after the connection is made.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 AM

Corrosion is formed when leaking Hydrogen gas combines with other elements and debris in the air, they are attracted to the electrical field around the terminal posts. The Hydrogen is seeping from the battery, there is no other source for it to appear under the hood. Even a mild leak will continue to cause the corrosion to grow, and if you wait too long you will be replacing the terminal connectors. The connectors are often very think metal, and it only takes a little bit of time for them to deteriorate into a paper like remnant of their old self. Is the battery fine and holding a charge even though it is off-gassing hydrogen...often times yes, it will still hold an adequate charge. But the money you save waiting could be the reason you are stranded by a bad connection one day. Corrosion buildup is not normal, and any time it happens, a replacement battery is in order. The good thing is most of your aftermarket batteries have at least 3 or more years of replacement protection, so if you drive the car to the Autozone or whatever show them the buildup, if you are under the warrantee still they will process it as a claim and often at zero or minimal cost to you.

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Maybe and maybe not. A poor terminal connection can cause these issues with corrosion as an after effect. I cleaned my battery terminals and cable ends with a wire brush terminal cleaner. We also put the battery in a load checking test and it passed fine. I'll continue to watch for more corrosion, then decide to replace.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM

What Causes Car Battery Corrosion

What Causes Car Battery Corrosion?

Battery corrosion is caused by hydrogen gas being released from the sulfuric acid inside the battery. As the gasses react to the ambient atmosphere, it begins to produce a corrosive environment. Other elements such as moisture and salts only accelerate the process. Typically, battery terminal corrosion occurs on the negative battery terminal, which is a symptom of undercharging the vehicles battery. The main culprit in undercharged batteries is that fact the alternator is not giving sufficient time to replenish lost battery capacity due the electrical load demand of the vehicle, and relatively short uses of the vehicle. If battery corrosion is present on the positive battery terminal, this is a symptom of overcharging.

Hope this helps
Randy