8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Emergency braking: how good is it

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Emergency braking: how good is it

I was wondering how good the emergency braking in the maxima is? I was reading an article with a bunch of different cars and it was discussing how most of them just slowed the car down, I think only one car brand (Subaru I think) was stopping the car in every instance. The article I think only had a few volkswagers, Mitsubishi and Subaru models, so was wondering how well Nissan actually does? I do notice that my 17 maxima seems to be pretty sensitive (I get warning beeps often) but my wifes 17 Toyota doesn't seem to complain much. I also notice that my max seems to disable the system quite often when there is snow or rain, my wifes Toyota always seems to never disable itself. So I guess just wondering how good each manufacturer is in this technology?.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Never trust autonomous driving, that's just my opinion. Too many fluid things going on that could cause the system to miss a queue and respond incorrectly or not at all. Driver must be in full control, allowing these systems only as a supplement.

I know that wasn't your question, but felt I had to jump on the soapbox.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:53 AM

The information that the customer gets is kinda vague too, what does emergency braking really mean? I think my wifes toyota manual is a lot better than nissan, it explains a lot of the caveats of the emergency braking. It talks about going over hills and when the road turns or dips that the system might not see things correctly. I wonder how well the different companies actually perform.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:57 AM

I'm anticipating a lot of lawsuits and recalls over the next few years, since it seems so many manufactures are now making this either standard or at least optional on many of their vehicles now. What I think is bad is they are taking responsibility away since reality is theses systems do work, and will likely help avoid trouble a majority of the time. But then people are so used to it their sensory perception isn't as sharp, put them in a car that doesn't have these features and they are considerably more careless.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I'm anticipating a lot of lawsuits and recalls over the next few years, since it seems so many manufactures are now making this either standard or at least optional on many of their vehicles now. What I think is bad is they are taking responsibility away since reality is theses systems do work, and will likely help avoid trouble a majority of the time. But then people are so used to it their sensory perception isn't as sharp, put them in a car that doesn't have these features and they are considerably more careless.
I am 57, but I try to not oppose technology. I embrace a ton of it. I like ABS and traction control. Rear view monitor and blend spot monitors are great. I stay of the edge of technology elsewhere in my life, but I don't want a car that can apply it's own brakes or steer. I am an engaged driver. I don't use my phone when I drive. I don't want my car braking or steering when it shouldn't, and I have heard too many stories of that happening.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
I am 57, but I try to not oppose technology. I embrace a ton of it. I like ABS and traction control. Rear view monitor and blend spot monitors are great. I stay of the edge of technology elsewhere in my life, but I don't want a car that can apply it's own brakes or steer. I am an engaged driver. I don't use my phone when I drive. I don't want my car braking or steering when it shouldn't, and I have heard too many stories of that happening.
Hats off to you Mason! I just wish others I see on the road would do half of what you do. The Texting thing is out of control. Sitting at stoplights people in front of you don't have a clue what is going on because they are "heads down". What is that important that it can't wait? You want to give them a blast of the horn but in the era of short fuses who knows what that will end up getting you
Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 AM

In March 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safetyannounced the manufacturers of 99% of U.S. automobiles had agreed to include automatic emergency braking systems as standard on virtually all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2022

Old 08-25-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Hats off to you Mason! I just wish others I see on the road would do half of what you do. The Texting thing is out of control. Sitting at stoplights people in front of you don't have a clue what is going on because they are "heads down". What is that important that it can't wait? You want to give them a blast of the horn but in the era of short fuses who knows what that will end up getting you
Hats off to you as well, it's very out of control. Annoys the H out of me to see dummies driving the down road going 75 looking up and down at a phone texting, heck If I see I know the Popo's see it as most of them are so unaware of who's around them while they are doing it!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17

In March 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safetyannounced the manufacturers of 99% of U.S. automobiles had agreed to include automatic emergency braking systems as standard on virtually all new cars sold in the U.S. by 2022
I think it's a good idea that most manufacturers are adding this, I don't think really buy that people will become less attentive because of the feature, but it will certainly help protect us from being rear ended by those who are already goofing off with their cell phone.

I just wish mine wouldn't get confused sometimes, mine has kicked in with no one front of me a couple of times. Thankfully it didn't go into full on hard braking mode but it's a bit annoying

Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
I just wish mine wouldn't get confused sometimes, mine has kicked in with no one front of me a couple of times. Thankfully it didn't go into full on hard braking mode but it's a bit annoying
That is EXACTLY why I don't want it.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM

For me , a lot of the fun of owning a Maxima is the enjoyment I get from paying full attention to driving it. I'm glad the automatic emergency braking is there, but have never had it apply itself in my car because I try to always try to give myself a little distance cushion between me and the traffic in front of me. At my old age, I KNOW I need to have full attention on my driving at all times. I do not even know how to text (and don't need to), and never never try to carry on a phone conversation while driving. My wife and I always travel together (even commuted to and from work together for decades), and the one of us that is NOT driving handles all the phone calls. We were lucky to have that situation.

In Georgia, a newly passed law prohibits having a phone touching any part of ones body at any time while driving. Citations are being given out by the hundreds. I am happy with that law, because I have witnessed thousands of drivers doing strange things over the years, and, in many cases, I was able to determine they were giving their brain's full attention to what was happening with their phone.

I am just lucky/glad I knew from the beginning that my feeble brain could not possibly carry on a rational phone conversation and properly grasp everything that was going on around me in traffic. There may be folks who can do that, but I am not one of them.