8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Nissan needs Maxima Nismo to compete

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Nissan needs Maxima Nismo to compete

Along with Altima Nismo. Think Nissan will do it? Now that Toyota is coming out with Camry/Avalon TRD versions in fall 2019.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Along with Altima Nismo. Think Nissan will do it? Now that Toyota is coming out with Camry/Avalon TRD versions in fall 2019.
Buyers of the Maxima do not want a Nismo....With already top rating for resale loss who wants to drop another 15+ K for a car that is going to perform about the same?? And lose even more money......For what they charge for the Nismo Z you would think it might have a Turbo or a SC. My eyes....NISMO = SCAM
Old 11-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wild *****
Buyers of the Maxima do not want a Nismo....With already top rating for resale loss who wants to drop another 15+ K for a car that is going to perform about the same?? And lose even more money......For what they charge for the Nismo Z you would think it might have a Turbo or a SC. My eyes....NISMO = SCAM
Not everyone sells their car every couple years. I personally enjoy having a a few payment free years between cars.

most sedans have poor resale value right now, might as well get something you will enjoy for a while.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet

Not everyone sells their car every couple years. I personally enjoy having a a few payment free years between cars.

most sedans have poor resale value right now, might as well get something you will enjoy for a while.
I agree, and keep my cars too.....I do not think the NISMO cost to value ratio is very good....
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 AM
Got Retrofit?

Nissan would come out with a Nismo Altima well before a Maxima.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM

I agree, and keep my cars too.....I do not think the NISMO cost to value ratio is very good....
Very true Wild *****! The depreciation is moderated somewhat by the huge discounts given at purchase. For me the Nismo stuff is too "Boy Racer", right there with what looks like "cofffee can" mufflers you often see on other Japenese cars.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM

TRD somehow comes out as TURD when I see the letters. A friend of mine with a new TURD Toyota pick up truck actually had the TRD stickers removed!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
TRD somehow comes out as TURD when I see the letters. A friend of mine with a new TURD Toyota pick up truck actually had the TRD stickers removed!
Lmao I think the same every time I see a TRD Toyota.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Nissan would come out with a Nismo Altima well before a Maxima.
For sure, Buyer demographics......!!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Would love you to circle that around with Nissan product planning.
What's your expected revenue, profit, and R&D impact numbers?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Would love you to circle that around with Nissan product planning.
What's your expected revenue, profit, and R&D impact numbers?
i will be meeting with Nissan top brass officials next week to see where we take this next.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:29 AM

i will be meeting with Nissan top brass officials next week to see where we take this next.
Uh huh.
You going to see Le Cost Cutter in Tokyo's Harajuku district ?
Or one of these:
https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...executive-bios
Old 11-21-2018, 10:16 AM

I wouldn't touch a NISMO Maxima. A few red accents and 10k extra.... please. I bought my lease out a year after my purchased my 2016 SR and I will keep it until the 2020's come out. They are releasing a redesign on the 2020 Maxima, and as long as they don't fudge it up, I may look into rolling in one of those. We'll see what 2020 brings.

What they need to do is pump up the HP to 325 and put it on the rear. Not that I don't like mine, but they should have at least given the Platinum and SR 310 and the rest 300. The two top tier models should've been separated from the herd. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 11-21-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Guess I'm getting old, 300 hp is plenty for me and I never lack for power when I need to "bust a move" (for you old schoolers that remember the one hit wonder Young MC). The only thing that would move the needle for me is AWD.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM

AWD would mean a mileage penalty. You won't see a gen 9 anytime soon. Now to get my hands on a new 2019 Maxima. Cross shopped the Avalon and it comes up short with the Platinum. No double sun roof, no rear window power shade. No drivers seat cushion extension- no remote start - smaller brake discs - smaller tires.No perimeter lighting option.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dgraham2038
Guess I'm getting old, 300 hp is plenty for me and I never lack for power when I need to "bust a move" (for you old schoolers that remember the one hit wonder Young MC). The only thing that would move the needle for me is AWD.
Before I purchased this Maxima, I was oscillating back and forth between an Infinity Q50 and the SR Maxima. The Q50 had 320HP on the rear and had great response times and acceleration. What sold me on the Maxima was what you got for the price. Hands down a better deal than the Infinity as it relates to all the options and price point. It's not about "enough" HP, rather splitting off the two top tier platforms of Maxima from the rest. I believe, in my opinion, they should've done this and given the Platinum and SR more HP. Is 300 HP good? Of course. And of course, none of this HP is wheel HP, it's crank HP. Wheel HP is less than 300. Does the car have excellent response and acceleration? Absolutely. I'm 55 years old and I'm not out their picking fights with other cars for a race (sometimes I want to though.... lol). However, I do love going fast, and when I get the opportunity, I'll take it to its limit (135MPH) just to make sure it'll do it. It does. So, I would get a rise out of more HP for sure. I'd love to see it on the rear also.

If you think 300 is nice on the front, wait until it pushes you instead of pulls you. Go test drive an Infiniti Q50 and see what 325 on the rear feels like (you may already know). Big difference. Not to mention you can also get that Q50 in 330HP and 400HP. Overall, I still like the Maxima over the Infinity because you just get more bling and options for the cash. I've never been a fanboy of anything, nor have I been brand loyal. What appeals to me first is aesthetics. Then I dig into features, reliability, and all the other things that draw the moth to the flame. I have had domestic, Asian and European. I love cars and I like fast cars. I have fallen in love with the Maxima though. I guess maybe you can call me a Nissan fanboy now.... lol. I have been considering a McLaren as my fun car and using the Maxima as an everyday driver. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a car.... period.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ed Hanson
Before I purchased this Maxima, I was oscillating back and forth between an Infinity Q50 and the SR Maxima. The Q50 had 320HP on the rear and had great response times and acceleration. What sold me on the Maxima was what you got for the price. Hands down a better deal than the Infinity as it relates to all the options and price point. It's not about "enough" HP, rather splitting off the two top tier platforms of Maxima from the rest. I believe, in my opinion, they should've done this and given the Platinum and SR more HP. Is 300 HP good? Of course. And of course, none of this HP is wheel HP, it's crank HP. Wheel HP is less than 300. Does the car have excellent response and acceleration? Absolutely. I'm 55 years old and I'm not out their picking fights with other cars for a race (sometimes I want to though.... lol). However, I do love going fast, and when I get the opportunity, I'll take it to its limit (135MPH) just to make sure it'll do it. It does. So, I would get a rise out of more HP for sure. I'd love to see it on the rear also.

If you think 300 is nice on the front, wait until it pushes you instead of pulls you. Go test drive an Infiniti Q50 and see what 325 on the rear feels like (you may already know). Big difference. Not to mention you can also get that Q50 in 330HP and 400HP. Overall, I still like the Maxima over the Infinity because you just get more bling and options for the cash. I've never been a fanboy of anything, nor have I been brand loyal. What appeals to me first is aesthetics. Then I dig into features, reliability, and all the other things that draw the moth to the flame. I have had domestic, Asian and European. I love cars and I like fast cars. I have fallen in love with the Maxima though. I guess maybe you can call me a Nissan fanboy now.... lol. I have been considering a McLaren as my fun car and using the Maxima as an everyday driver. I just have a hard time spending that kind of money on a car.... period.
Not to mention, for 45K with the Q 50 you are driving off the lot with horrible plastic seats. Love the Q 50.....Max is much better bargain for sure.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Very logically stated Ed. I'm not sure the rated 330 HP on the Q gets you down the road much if any quicker than the 300 hp Maxima. I would agree that the Max should graduate to 330 HP just for some talking rights especially since the "boy racer" Stinger has 365 HP. (No way would I get this Stinger) The deal with the AWD has to be how it is enabled. What % goes to the rear and what% goes to the fronts?. Either way the 3 year old maxima is still the best looking car.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM

The Current Q50 is 300HP TT.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:25 PM

I think Nissan should put limited edition 400 plus Maxima in 9th gen. How come Infiniti sells 400hps Q50. We only have this SR version which by Nissan means ultra sport package.

Plus it will be some sort of a promotion for Nissan to sell their so called premium car.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
I think Nissan should put limited edition 400 plus Maxima in 9th gen. How come Infiniti sells 400hps Q50. We only have this SR version which by Nissan means ultra sport package.

Plus it will be some sort of a promotion for Nissan to sell their so called premium car.
CVT would be my guess....
Old 11-21-2018, 12:56 PM
+Cru OG

They already have a NISMO version of the Altima/Teana in Malaysia. I checked out some local Nissan dealerships when I was in Okinawa but none of them carry this version.

Performance Package - Aero bits, 30mm drop springs, wheels, tires, exhaust tips ...
Aero Package - Aero bits

Not worth the money, IMO. The newer Maxima doesn't exist outside of the US, so I doubt it'll get the treatment.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:21 PM
+Cru OG

What Nissan needs to do is follow their lineup structure like they have in Japan, it would make it easier for the people who like the brand to pick and choose their poison. Hell, bring the JP names stateside.

4CYL Small Car - Sylphy / Sentra
4CYL MidSize - Teana/Altima
6CYL Midsize - Q50/Skyline/Fuga
6CYL Fullsize - Q70/Q70L/Cima

Then after that, just get on NISMO's website and start buying up NISMO parts for your car. Hell, they even have NISMO parts for the Leaf. THE MFKN LEAF.

Also. They need to bring over the NV350 van, I'll forgo my obsession with the Toyota HiAce if they bring the NV350.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:58 PM

The Current Q50 is 300HP TT.
The Q50 has three options...

2.0-LITER I4 (1991CC), TURBOCHARGED 16-VALVE INLINE 4-CYLINDER ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEAD WITH IDLE STOP/START - (208HP Inline 2.0t 4cyl PURE)
3.0-LITER V6 TWIN-TURBO (2997CC), TURBOCHARGED 24-VALVE ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEADS WITH WATER-COOLED AIR CHARGING SYSTEM - (300HP 3.0t V6 LUXE)
3.0-LITER V6 TWIN-TURBO (2997CC), TURBOCHARGED 24-VALVE ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEADS WITH WATER-COOLED AIR CHARGING SYSTEM, TWO TURBO SPEED SENSORS AND DUAL WATER PUMPS - (400HP 3.0 V6 Turbo 7A REDSPORT 400 )

*Sorry for the cut & paste (call me lazy)
Old 11-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Very logically stated Ed. I'm not sure the rated 330 HP on the Q gets you down the road much if any quicker than the 300 hp Maxima. I would agree that the Max should graduate to 330 HP just for some talking rights especially since the "boy racer" Stinger has 365 HP. (No way would I get this Stinger) The deal with the AWD has to be how it is enabled. What % goes to the rear and what% goes to the fronts?. Either way the 3 year old maxima is still the best looking car.
330 on the rear would make a big difference in the launch. I agree with you that this gen Maxima is the best looking by far. I had a 2012 and I really liked it, but this new maxima is prime. Now, I am cautiously anticipating the redesign in 2020. I'm praying they don't butcher it. My salesman that sold me my 2016 keeps priming the pump on the 2020. Wants to grease the skid on that sale.... lol. He said he hasn't seen any prototypes but has heard chatter that it will look good. I asked him about any increase in HP and he said he hasn't heard anything yet.

I will say, the 2019 Altima looks pretty nice. However, I don't like the fixed monitor/screen that sits on top of the dash. I don't know why they didn't give you the option to push a button and have that screen come out of the dash, then retract it back flush. I would hate having something sticking out above my dash like that. To each their own. It will sell well, I'm sure.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17

I can tell you, Nissan won't allow the Maxima to get too beefy because it will then compete too closely with their Infiniti sedans. The Maxima has to stay tame enough so it doesn't cross over and conflict with Infiniti buyers. Typically a Infiniti buyer doesn't downgrade to a Nissan. A Nissan buyer will upgrade to an infiniti. Downgrading and upgrading will always be perceived differently (and should be) in the eyes of the beholder, so please don't slam me for the terminology. I simply make a logical point and this is not intended to dig on any one person's value they place on personal opinions and taste. The buying experience is a subjective one and at the end of the day, your purchase is based on your taste and other mitigating things.

You will always have your Nissan market that doesn't want to spend the cash on an Infiniti, but still want some pretty high standards in their class overall as it stands. I think Nissan is doing a great job in creating that market. Just as Infiniti buyers have a standard they prefer and they have created that market. It is the wedge market that decides to transition from a Nissan brand and make the jump into a more sophisticated class that the manufacturers see as the "golden opportunity". Not to say that Nissan buyers are not sophisticated, but Infiniti is the luxury brand of Nissan. Just as Lexus is for Toyota and Acura is Honda. The transition market is a crucial market for the brands because it has the potential to keep the buyer in the family of that brand. Keeps the revenue in the same house (company). Nissan wants the customer to transition into an Infiniti, as do the other two brands into their luxury lines. Lots of marketing campaigns target the buyer to assure that transition completes the loop. The transition is much like a relay race. The runner will hand the baton off to another runner, and then another until the race is finished. Nissan hands off the buyer to Infiniti and thus finishes the natural progression of the buying cycle.

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 11-22-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My lease just ended for my '15 Q50 Premium RWD and I got a '18 Maxima Platinum and I feel like it was an upgrade. Don't get me wrong- I loved my Q50, but it was a lease so that's what brought me to the Platinum, which I paid $35k. When I started looking for cars, I really didn't want to spend in the upper $40k's for a new car right now. I plugged in all my options in a spreadsheet and determined I'd have to spend about $13k more for all the same options in an Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by heyguysitsme
My lease just ended for my '15 Q50 Premium RWD and I got a '18 Maxima Platinum and I feel like it was an upgrade. Don't get me wrong- I loved my Q50, but it was a lease so that's what brought me to the Platinum, which I paid $35k. When I started looking for cars, I really didn't want to spend in the upper $40k's for a new car right now. I plugged in all my options in a spreadsheet and determined I'd have to spend about $13k more for all the same options in an Infiniti, Lexus, or Acura.
I would agree with you on that upgrade. That year Q50 was very plain on the interior and the seats were flater and slippery. After driving the Maxima and comparing both interiors, there was no mistaking that the Maxima was far superior in detail and amenities. The only thing I liked better about the Infiniti was the HP and it being RWD. So, again, I would agree with you on the upgrade/downgrade perspective. It is how you perceive what you are getting in value that determines that movement. If Nissan messes up with the redesign in 2020, I may very well look at other options.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:22 AM

The Q50 has three options...

2.0-LITER I4 (1991CC), TURBOCHARGED 16-VALVE INLINE 4-CYLINDER ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEAD WITH IDLE STOP/START - (208HP Inline 2.0t 4cyl PURE)
3.0-LITER V6 TWIN-TURBO (2997CC), TURBOCHARGED 24-VALVE ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEADS WITH WATER-COOLED AIR CHARGING SYSTEM - (300HP 3.0t V6 LUXE)
3.0-LITER V6 TWIN-TURBO (2997CC), TURBOCHARGED 24-VALVE ENGINE, ALUMINUM-ALLOY BLOCK AND HEADS WITH WATER-COOLED AIR CHARGING SYSTEM, TWO TURBO SPEED SENSORS AND DUAL WATER PUMPS - (400HP 3.0 V6 Turbo 7A REDSPORT 400 )

*Sorry for the cut & paste (call me lazy)
Oh I know what engines it has, I have been shopping this car for 2 years. I was comparing apples to apples...and the 3.0 T is the apple that compared with the Max
Old 11-22-2018, 06:25 AM

I can tell you, Nissan won't allow the Maxima to get too beefy because it will then compete too closely with their Infiniti sedans. The Maxima has to stay tame enough so it doesn't cross over and conflict with Infiniti buyers. Typically a Infiniti buyer doesn't downgrade to a Nissan..
If you had no Idea what car you were in and were blindfolded and had never seen either car.....You would definitely think the Maxima was the Luxury brand...not even close...
Old 11-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Oh I know what engines it has, I have been shopping this car for 2 years. I was comparing apples to apples...and the 3.0 T is the apple that compared with the Max
Gotcha
Old 11-22-2018, 06:51 AM

If you had no Idea what car you were in and were blindfolded and had never seen either car.....You would definitely think the Maxima was the Luxury brand...not even close...
I think it would be a bit difficult to know if you were blindfolded.... lol. Maybe you could feel the seat difference between the two under your butt, but not much else to know if blindfolded. The way I "know" the difference is to get in and see the contrast, drive them both and compare them. (which is what I did) Yes, I could look at them, not blindfolded, and see that the Maxima has a more quality feature setup and has a much nicer styled interior, but that is also my opinion. You may have an argument on your hands if you got with an Infinity owner and they felt as passionate as we do about the Maxima. It's personal preference. Because I feel a certain way doesn't mean that's the reality. The point is that we all succumb to our own opinions, preferences and judgments about things and that becomes our reality. Doesn't mean that it is someone else's truth, though.

If your point is that someone not knowing anything about either vehicle and seeing them for the first time, one would think that the Maxima is the more luxurious of the two, then I would have to reserve that personal observation and let the person subjected to the differentiating be the judge of that. I can't speak for someone else's opinions. I would assume to your point that there are those that would think the way you've stated, but couldn't quantify the statement. I think the Blindfolded part of your statement doesn't jive with the knowing. I personally think the Maxima is the better choice.... for me. However, I also do like the styling of the Q50 and it's HP specs, but the Q50 just didn't live up to my standards of what I wanted at the end of the day.

Maxima for the win!

Last edited by Ed Hanson; 11-22-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:59 AM

i think you hit the nail on the head with the Maximas appeal. It's a good value. It's not going ever be a full on sports nor luxury car, but it's got a lot going for it for the price.

They just have to give it just a little bump in performance, not that I don't think 300hp isn't enough, but they need to stand up to Honda with their new turbo 4

Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 AM

Ed, let me tell you this. I was shopping the Max a little while back but really loved the Q which I had never had the opportunity to see in person, sit in, drive. Closest dealer is over an hour in any direction. When I finally got around to going to see the Q and driving it I was Utterly disappointed in the interior quality. 45 K with plastic seats? Are you kidding me?? And yes, they felt plastic....After being in the Max I could never spend that much on a car that it's FWD poor sister blows out of the water. I was the person not knowing anything about either vehicle.....But I sure expected more from an Infiniti.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:50 AM

Yes sir...totally agree. Infinity is the only other brand I would consider. The value proposition of the Maxima is hard to beat in my eyes. As we all know, the sticker price for the SR is for suckers. 31-32K is a fair price for everything you get on the Max.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 AM

Well stated! The current Q sedan is too long in the tooth. You can't get some of the features now on the Q, the Max Plat has like the dual sunroof. There is no compelling reason to spend the additional dough on a Q!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:32 AM

Ed, let me tell you this. I was shopping the Max a little while back but really loved the Q which I had never had the opportunity to see in person, sit in, drive. Closest dealer is over an hour in any direction. When I finally got around to going to see the Q and driving it I was Utterly disappointed in the interior quality. 45 K with plastic seats? Are you kidding me?? And yes, they felt plastic....After being in the Max I could never spend that much on a car that it's FWD poor sister blows out of the water. I was the person not knowing anything about either vehicle.....But I sure expected more from an Infiniti.
I agree with everything you said except the blindfold statement.

Max for the win!
Old 11-22-2018, 08:46 AM

I agree with everything you said except the blindfold statement.

Max for the win!

Not gonna let it go....lolo You know what i meant Of course the blindfold would be removed once in the cars...haahha