8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Thoughts On Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM

Thoughts On Extended Warranty

So I'm just about to sign for a 2018 SR, finance guy is pushing the warranty. It costs approx 3k, finance term is 84 months, so roughly 19 bucks every two weeks. I'm in southern Ontario, so have to deal with Canadian winters and road salt. But I also don't drive much...12000 km per year (7500 miles). I understand warranties are in the business of making money, but worry about crazy expensive repairs, particularly with all the electronics.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts, have you purchased before, took advantage of it, complete waste of money, etc. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:31 AM

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!! They don't sell them because they lose money. Anything you read will tell you an Ext Warr is a bad Idea. Especially 3K??? Are you kidding me..
Old 11-18-2018, 02:59 PM

3k sounds a bit much, but then again, you don't have to worry about maintenance costs. You have to ask your self will you put the money away in savings or just spend it?
Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 PM

It would be really interesting to know what percentage of buyers decide to purchase the extended warranty. My experience with the electronics on these new vehicles is not good. Have had multiple failures on two different vehicles, but thankfully fixed under mfr warranty. That’s the reason to consider the extended warranty imo. $3K is way more than I’ve ever been quoted for it though.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:56 PM

It does seems expensive, almost 10% of the vehicle price. But piece of mind to not end up with a $2000 repair bill is worth something for sure. Might check if there are aftermarket warranties.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigAppleBag
It does seems expensive, almost 10% of the vehicle price. But piece of mind to not end up with a $2000 repair bill is worth something for sure. Might check if there are aftermarket warranties.
Looks like he would still have a 1000 left over to buy tires
Old 11-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Try getting a quote here: http://nissansrextendedservicecontra...SAAEgL4GPD_BwE

I worked with Dan. He's a little salesy, but you can see all the different prices.

You do not need to purchase at the the of buying - in fact, I wouldn't, cause they might role it into your loan and then you're paying interest. Also, make sure you take into account your mileage as it will potentially reduce the cost.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Try getting a quote here: http://nissansrextendedservicecontra...SAAEgL4GPD_BwE

I worked with Dan. He's a little salesy, but you can see all the different prices.

You do not need to purchase at the the of buying - in fact, I wouldn't, cause they might role it into your loan and then you're paying interest. Also, make sure you take into account your mileage as it will potentially reduce the cost.
That's got some great info. Thanks a lot, looks like I don't have to consider anything until just short of 3 years in.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 AM

Depends how long you keep the car. My 16 Platinum has been great thru 40,000 miles. Don't bite on this high priced "by the way" pack! You can buy the extended warranty from any dealer usually at a better price.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:27 PM

Extended warranties are a Salesmans way to make more money on the back end of the deal... I am sure he already has made a bunch on the front end of the deal as well. These extended warranties are very tricky as well.. They do not like to pay claims and always blame the owner.. I have done plenty of inspections for 3rd party Warranty companies and they never pay, or pay very little if something major goes wrong..

Stick with the Nissan Warranty.. When its over... Unload the car and buy another...
Old 11-24-2018, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Extended warranties are a Salesmans way to make more money on the back end of the deal... I am sure he already has made a bunch on the front end of the deal as well. These extended warranties are very tricky as well.. They do not like to pay claims and always blame the owner.. I have done plenty of inspections for 3rd party Warranty companies and they never pay, or pay very little if something major goes wrong..

Stick with the Nissan Warranty.. When its over... Unload the car and buy another...
^^^^^^^^This for sure. Todays cars are very reliable....you really should not need an extended. Todays least reliable cars would have been the most reliable 7 years ago, if that makes sense. However, I am still petrified of Chrysler Products!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 AM

Ok, definitely not getting extended, however if they have something that covers electrical/AC I'll entertain it. Just over a week and I should have it. This waiting is ridiculous.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 AM

I’ve never been a fan of extended warranties but I purchased one for my last vehicle (2013 F-150) and that thing paid for itself in the first maintenance claim just outside the factory warranty. The warranty was like $1700 and my AC went out just after the factory warranty expired and the repair bill through Ford was just under $1700 due to the intense labor cost because they had to remove the entire dash to get to the faulty component. There were two subsequent warranty claims after that totaling out over $2800 before getting rid of the truck. I too struggled with the ESP at time of purchase but ended up purchasing it in the end because I don’t know enough about these cars mechanically and simply wanted that piece of mind.

Maybe consider opening an interest bearing account strictly for the purpose of covering maintenance costs and throwing the money that you would’ve spent on the warranty and save that for those potential issues that may arise. That way, if you end up selling the car before needing to use that cash you end up with a nice little nugget of cash in the end. Just an alternative option.

It’s a tough decision for sure, best of luck with your decision.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:25 AM

I have never found the need or had the desire for extended warranties ... until now. I have had multiple failures with the electronics on three different Nissan vehicles. Head unit or cluster replacements to resolve the problems. Scares me to face that kind expense when not under some kind of warranty. This stuff is nice to have, but just doesn’t hold up reliably in my personal experience.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Max2013
I have never found the need or had the desire for extended warranties ... until now. I have had multiple failures with the electronics on three different Nissan vehicles. Head unit or cluster replacements to resolve the problems. Scares me to face that kind expense when not under some kind of warranty. This stuff is nice to have, but just doesn’t hold up reliably in my personal experience.
What years/models?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigAppleBag
What years/models?
2014 Maxima, 2016 Murano (twice), current problem on 2018 Max. I’ve loved every one of the vehicles, but they are not problem free.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:31 PM

I just had $6k for parts alone not including labor done recently under warranty. So yes if we keep it buying a warranty for sure from Nissan.

1 part specifically drive side seat was replaced. And was told the passenger side cost even more to replace. DAMN! This car is very expensive for repair work.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 11-24-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I just had $6k for parts alone not including labor done recently under warranty. So yes if we keep it buying a warranty for sure from Nissan.

1 part specifically drive side seat was replaced. And was told the passenger side cost even more to replace. DAMN! This car is very expensive for repair work.
That is just it.. A extended warranty is NOT from Nissan.. It will be a 3rd party warranty company... Trust me on this...
Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
That is just it.. A extended warranty is NOT from Nissan.. It will be a 3rd party warranty company... Trust me on this...
https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners...ServiceContent
Old 11-25-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
@FGW, I have no idea why people post incorrect information on Forums. What good does incorrect information do to help anyone?

I have the official, by Nissan, from Nisssan Extended Security Plus Extended Service Contract on both of our Maximas. YRMV.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:17 AM

Why would manufactures not offer their own warranty??? It is win/win for them, money in the bank that statistically will be free money to them with no pay out...... If the odds were in your favor, do you really think people would be offering extended warranties? Better odds than the house in Vegas...