8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Torque steering

Old 12-20-2018, 05:10 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Torque steering

Been reading a lot of "expert reviews" before and after getting my 18 Max SV, and one of the most common complaints by far is the infamous torque steering.

I have 1200 miles on my new Max, and my 2005 Maxima SL had 137k miles on it when we parted ways, yet I have never experienced torque steering. Can anyone tell me if the complaint is legit? I have gunned my new Max several times already, never experienced what they are describing.
lionel2013 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 06:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 492
Turn off traction control and floor it from a dead stop. Report back.
FattiesGoneWild is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
Been reading a lot of "expert reviews" before and after getting my 18 Max SV, and one of the most common complaints by far is the infamous torque steering.

I have 1200 miles on my new Max, and my 2005 Maxima SL had 137k miles on it when we parted ways, yet I have never experienced torque steering. Can anyone tell me if the complaint is legit? I have gunned my new Max several times already, never experienced what they are describing.
One of the improvements to the Gen 8 Max was to significantly reduce torque steer. I have not noticed a problem with it. I believe there were refinements to engine mounting points (lower) and other front-end chassis components to help negate this problem with a high-power, front-wheel drive platform such as ours.
compyelc4 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 609
if you stomp on it hard enough you will feel it, but that's any front wheel car. It doesn't seem any worse than any other FWD I've driven

Fishlet is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 05:23 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Texas
Posts: 347
It has torque steer. Especially if the front wheels are turned at all when accelerating. More hp = more torque steer. My anemic Passat even had a little.
Mason Hatcher is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post
Turn off traction control and floor it from a dead stop. Report back.
If that's what it takes to experience it I am not interested at all - seems like a big non-issue to me.
lionel2013 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Texas
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
If that's what it takes to experience it I am not interested at all - seems like a big non-issue to me.
I never turn off Traction Control and occasionally experience TS when accelerating heavily. For me, mostly when not proceeding straight.

Mason Hatcher is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
If that's what it takes to experience it I am not interested at all - seems like a big non-issue to me.
TC does a great job keeping the car in check while on. Itís when you turn it off itís another story. That is why I was hoping you had tried it. You would have been quite surprised and taken off guard lol. I know I was when I tried it the first time.
FattiesGoneWild is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:39 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post


TC does a great job keeping the car in check while on. Itís when you turn it off itís another story. That is why I was hoping you had tried it. You would have been quite surprised and taken off guard lol. I know I was when I tried it the first time.
Fatties,

Please do enlighten me - what happens when you turn TC off? I never have, and I don't intend to unless I need to get out of snow ...
lionel2013 is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 03:48 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
Fatties,

Please do enlighten me - what happens when you turn TC off? I never have, and I don't intend to unless I need to get out of snow ...
The torque steer is pretty intense imo with it off. The worst is at a dead stop and flooring it. I only done it once and now I get the AWD references. If you are ever curious itís just a press of the button to turn it off/on.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 12-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.
FattiesGoneWild is offline  
Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: South Texas
Posts: 347
Based on my understanding of torque steer and traction control, I was reading this and thinking that traction control would not have much effect on torque steer. So I did an experiment

TC on, wheels straight, sport mode on- floor it and there was barely any perceptible torque steer, but I did feel the abs activate which is the traction control being active.

TC off, wheels straight, sport mode on- floor it and there was no perceptible torque steer; however, the front wheels spun like crazy. That was fun!

I repeated both experiments, but with the wheels turned to make a turn at an intersection. Same result except this time torque steer was clearly evident.

Torque steer does not appear to be a factor of the status of traction control.

**disclaimer** experiments were conducted in an industrial area with clear sight lines and no traffic.
Mason Hatcher is offline  
Old 12-22-2018, 08:58 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: La Mirada / San Francisco
Posts: 313
I thought that torque steer occurs, especially, on high hp/torque vehicles with uneven axle lengths...
that shorter lengths will have higher torsional rigidity, therefore transferring motion faster during hard acceleration.
right?
BlakMaxiJoey is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 01:02 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 87
This current Maxima has monster torque steer. Power motor, open diff on a FWD and that's what you get. A real AWD system would be a game changer and could propel sales significantly once the word got out. Certainly installing thinner winter tires on this vehicle in an attempt to save money is a major NO NO.
Blasterguy is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 02:44 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Blasterguy View Post
This current Maxima has monster torque steer. Power motor, open diff on a FWD and that's what you get. A real AWD system would be a game changer and could propel sales significantly once the word got out. Certainly installing thinner winter tires on this vehicle in an attempt to save money is a major NO NO.
With traction control ON as it should be 99% of the time, and while gunning my 2018 Max SV from a dead stop several times while trying to get a feel for how it responds, I have experienced zero torque steer.

I have really no idea what all the fuss is about. However I agree that introducing AWD as standard or even optional would be a game changer, but I think it's unrelated to the torque steer issue.
lionel2013 is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 04:18 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by lionel2013 View Post
With traction control ON as it should be 99% of the time, and while gunning my 2018 Max SV from a dead stop several times while trying to get a feel for how it responds, I have experienced zero torque steer.

I have really no idea what all the fuss is about. However I agree that introducing AWD as standard or even optional would be a game changer, but I think it's unrelated to the torque steer issue.
Every car outlet has expierenced toque steer in this car. Itís real and does exist especially with traction control disabled.
FattiesGoneWild is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 04:19 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 162
Car purest know that a front wheel drive car will have torque steer, so that's what they report. If they didn't, the other purists would make fun of them for not reporting it. In normal driving and even aggressive driving with the Max your unlikely to notice it. Its the same reason they pan the CVT, it's not a stick shift and it doesn't shift, so therefore is no good. They just can't stoop to admitting it's a really nice transmission, and much better than one that shifts! I think they can't admit that the computer is better than they are.
Lemonhawk is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 04:54 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Car purest know that a front wheel drive car will have torque steer, so that's what they report. If they didn't, the other purists would make fun of them for not reporting it. In normal driving and even aggressive driving with the Max your unlikely to notice it. Its the same reason they pan the CVT, it's not a stick shift and it doesn't shift, so therefore is no good. They just can't stoop to admitting it's a really nice transmission, and much better than one that shifts! I think they can't admit that the computer is better than they are.
The CVT will never get love or respect in the Maxima. Even though it is the best CVT out there imo on the Maxima. 2 major things why it gets no love or respect. 4DSC and most of all. Nissan's horrible CVT reliability. BUT, I do believe the Maxima has a top notch CVT in it for the Maxima. I will give Nissan a benefit of the doubt as its their flagship sedan.

FattiesGoneWild is offline  
Old 01-01-2019, 06:20 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 87
It's not terrible, but something I notice with the car is a bit of a twitch when it "shifts" under hard acceleration, anybody else experience that? This is a little bit annoying and further highlights the shortcomings of creating fake shifts with a CVT. It would be faster if it just pegged the tach at redline, and the twitch wouldn't be there.
dmc79 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ipwnm8
5th Generation Classifieds (2000-2003)
2
05-08-2012 04:25 PM
Love_00_Max
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
4
06-23-2004 01:33 PM
zemp68
General Maxima Discussion
26
08-21-2003 12:28 PM
nice95GLE
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
8
04-09-2002 07:41 PM
Newman
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
2
12-07-2001 04:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque steering


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.