What's the best mileage (MPG) you've gotten? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
Reload this Page >

What's the best mileage (MPG) you've gotten?

8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Old 03-17-2019, 07:35 AM

A couple of months ago I posted this: "Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!" Post found here: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9193370

Well, above was when I was still breaking in the car (first 1,200 miles), not using cruise control. Yesterday I finally got around to lowering my tire pressure to recommended 33 psi (had been about 36/37 since I bought it), and then used cruise control (adaptive, since I have a Platinum). I took the exact same 2 hour drive as before. More details about: 95% of it on highway. Started recording my mileage the moment I actually got on the highway, looked at it just as I approached the exit ramp. The speed limits the entire trip were split about evenly between 55 and 65 mph, and I set my cruise control to 60 and 70 respectively. Little to no traffic. Nice day, no adverse weather conditions. Being northern NJ, southern NY State and Connecticut, the highways were not totally flat. Some slight hills along the way. So with all that...

....I look at my results after almost 2 hours and saw I had averaged 38.5 mpg. 38.5 mpg!!! I couldn't believe it. A full 3+ more mpg than what I recorded a couple of months ago. I love this 8th generation Maxima for many reasons. This is just one.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by sschumer View Post
A couple of months ago I posted this: "Bought my 2018 a few weeks ago. Yesterday was first chance to get it on the highway for an extended time. Drove about 2 hours. Averaged 35.2 miles per gallon (!). To me, that's just incredible for a car this size with 300 HP. Love this CVT!" Post found here: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9193370

Well, above was when I was still breaking in the car (first 1,200 miles), not using cruise control. Yesterday I finally got around to lowering my tire pressure to recommended 33 psi (had been about 36/37 since I bought it), and then used cruise control (adaptive, since I have a Platinum). I took the exact same 2 hour drive as before. More details about: 95% of it on highway. Started recording my mileage the moment I actually got on the highway, looked at it just as I approached the exit ramp. The speed limits the entire trip were split about evenly between 55 and 65 mph, and I set my cruise control to 60 and 70 respectively. Little to no traffic. Nice day, no adverse weather conditions. Being northern NJ, southern NY State and Connecticut, the highways were not totally flat. Some slight hills along the way. So with all that...

....I look at my results after almost 2 hours and saw I had averaged 38.5 mpg. 38.5 mpg!!! I couldn't believe it. A full 3+ more mpg than what I recorded a couple of months ago. I love this 8th generation Maxima for many reasons. This is just one.
My best was.. I canít remember but it was very good. The car had reset mpg history by itself. But my recent trip to Maryland shows 35.2 . 33 on all tires no cruise control.

But my city(NYC) driving is a complete dog!!! The best I get when thereís no traffic is around 13 (Usually before noon on Sundays). Light traffic holiday no school no buses around 11. Heavy traffic on weekdays after 5pm... ohh my god!! All hell breaks loose!!! 8MPGs!!!

Well, at least itís only 16 mile commute ( combined)

Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Got my 18 max just over 3 weeks ago. Been averaging about 25/26 miles per gallon. Which I believe is pretty good. I don't even have 1000 miles on the car yet and I also live in the northeast and it's still cold here. Gas mileage greatly improves once the weather warms up. The few times I've driven highway miles, I've been getting about 30mpg which is awesome and again I'm confident that'll go up once the weather gets warm. My previous car (Toyota camry) averaged about 30mpg this time of year, so my maxima getting 25/26 with 120 more horsepower I'd say is pretty dang good and impressive. I read so many negative reviews about the maxima having a cvt, and I understand the argument, but we kinda get the best of both worlds and I'll take it
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I think your post could be misleading. If you filled up and drove 2 hours and saw 38.5mpg, this is very inaccurate.
1) You are relying on the computer data, not actually hitting the gas station again, filling up, and calculating accordingly.
2) Mpgs when the tank is full is always high. If you were to continue driving for an additional 2 hours at the same speed and all conditions were the same, I guarantee the computer would not be stating 38.5 mpg.

Nissan states you're supposed to be getting 20 city 30 highway. Do you really think you're going to exceed the stated 30mpg by that much?

When I fill up, and if I drive like a grandma for say 20 to 30 minutes, I can see as high as 45mpg. It means nothing to me.

What matters is going through a full tank, filling up at the gas station, and calculating your mpg's yourself. Car calculated mpgs is generally always higher than actual.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
I think your post could be misleading. If you filled up and drove 2 hours and saw 38.5mpg, this is very inaccurate.
1) You are relying on the computer data, not actually hitting the gas station again, filling up, and calculating accordingly.
2) Mpgs when the tank is full is always high. If you were to continue driving for an additional 2 hours at the same speed and all conditions were the same, I guarantee the computer would not be stating 38.5 mpg.

Nissan states you're supposed to be getting 20 city 30 highway. Do you really think you're going to exceed the stated 30mpg by that much?

When I fill up, and if I drive like a grandma for say 20 to 30 minutes, I can see as high as 45mpg. It means nothing to me.

What matters is going through a full tank, filling up at the gas station, and calculating your mpg's yourself. Car calculated mpgs is generally always higher than actual.
For our "all knowing" moderator. Agree with what you say however my mpg meter is only 2 mpg off from the fillup/drive/fillup drill. I get 32 - 34 mpg @ <70 mph easily doing the fillup/drive/fillup.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM

I've seen 34 mph on the highway. And i was doing at least 70 the whole way.

i could probably drive it a bit higher but I'm a bit lead footed at times

Old 03-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by robtroxel View Post
For our "all knowing" moderator. Agree with what you say however my mpg meter is only 2 mpg off from the fillup/drive/fillup drill. I get 32 - 34 mpg @ <70 mph easily doing the fillup/drive/fillup.
Easy there Tiger. Getting 32MPG is a hell of a lot more reasonable than 38.5mpg.

38.5mpg would imply a 27% increase over Nissan's 30mpg. No way would Nissan leave that much meat on the table when it comes to advertising a cars mpgs.

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-18-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Easy there Tiger. Getting 32MPG is a hell of a lot more reasonable than 38.5mpg.

38.5mpg would imply a 27% increase over Nissan's 30mpg. No way would Nissan leave that much meat on the table when it comes to advertising a cars mpgs.
The 7th(1) and 8th Gan Maxima's (2) I have owned seem to always deliver superior highway mileage at least 10-15% better than their EPA statements. I attribute that to sensible power application and cruise on fairly flat roadways as well as the CVT. It is refreshing to see an "under promise - over deliver" situation! 35 to 36 MPG is doable but certainly not the norm for me.

Last edited by robtroxel; Yesterday at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM

so you tell him HE is wrong because Nissan estimate mileage lower? Cool logic

I regularly got 36 on the highway
Old 03-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My best is 32.8. Most days it is 32.5 or less. 20 mile commute that is 82% freeway at normal freeway speeds. The worst is when doing the same commute (in reverse) in stop-and-go traffic.

My overall average is 27.2

Last edited by BrianShaw; Yesterday at 06:07 AM. Reason: Corrected error and added info
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM

My best, as still recorded on the DIC, is 37.5 mpg, during the last leg of a round trip to Daytona, Fl. from Ohio. 2 adults, loaded with week's luggage, plus all the beach stuff my daughter could not haul in her SUV. I believe the '17 SL had just broken in at around 10K miles. Ran regular grade down and back. Cruised between 70 and 80 mph, just keeping up with traffic.

Last edited by compyelc4; 03-18-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
so you tell him HE is wrong because Nissan estimate mileage lower? Cool logic

I regularly got 36 on the highway
I'm saying he's wrong based on my first post. READ please before you jump down my throat. Now if he filled up, drove a full tank, filled up, and then calculated by hand, well then that's a different story.

And how did you get 36mpgs? Fill up/ drive a full tank/ fill up/ calculate real mileage by hand? or by computer?

Last edited by The Wizard; 03-18-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:59 PM

I'm saying he's wrong based on my first post. READ please before you jump down my throat. Now if he filled up, drove a full tank, filled up, and then calculated by hand, well then that's a different story.

And how did you get 36mpgs? Fill up/ drive a full tank/ fill up/ calculate real mileage by hand? or by computer?

So we are all liars or stupid because Nissan gives a different number? Gotcha

I used the trip computer, calculating MPG with a pen and paper, and the Fuelly app. All within a half point. Fill up, drive highway 70 MPH to 1/4 tank and refill. Typically my return trip into the wind was a point or two lower. Not possible right, cause Nissan says I would get lower...

He is not claiming his overall mileage that high, but it was for part of a tank.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
My best, as still recorded on the DIC, is 37.5 mpg, round trip to Daytona, Fl. from Ohio, mountains and all, including a couple of stops for gas and eats, and some slower driving to the beach house. 2 adults, loaded with week's luggage, plus all the beach stuff my daughter could not haul in her SUV. I believe the '17 SL had just broken in at around 10K miles. Ran regular grade down and back. Cruised between 70 and 80 mph, just keeping up with traffic. At 20k miles now I am certain I could get closer to 40 mpg avg. if I did an interstate run at 70 mph, no stopping along the way, with just me in the car, and no steep grades to climb.
That's unpossible, Nissan says so.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

That's unpossible, Nissan says so.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

He is not claiming his overall mileage that high, but it was for part of a tank.
If this is the case, big deal. I guess the next time I'm coasting downhill at 70mph down a good grade for 10 miles and reporting 50mpg's+, I should start a thread and share it with the group. :rollseyes:
Old 03-18-2019, 04:26 PM

After 44 fill-ups over almost 15,000 miles my overall mileage is 27.36. Most driving is around town so it is not as good as it could be. My best mpg/tank was 33.67 but single tank readings must be taken with a grain of salt due to variations when filling. Even a small change in how full the tank is effects the tank mpg.

Last edited by 2young2retire; 03-18-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:21 PM

after 50k miles think ive never seen even over 20 lol, guess thats what happens if youre in traffic every day. average around 16-17 mpg after a full tank ~ 260 miles
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM

I believe you need some real world educating my friend.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:49 PM

If this is the case, big deal. I guess the next time I'm coasting downhill at 70mph down a good grade for 10 miles and reporting 50mpg's+, I should start a thread and share it with the group. :rollseyes:
What is a "super moderator" anyway? Inquiring minds want to know. Isn't a moderate supposed to be moderate in his dealing with all sides?
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

I have always been amused that you being a non Gen 8 Nissan owner - Lexus schill would be contibuting to this site. Of course your GS 350 is superior as you have mentioned many times before. An apple to orange comparision as best. Far as I am concerned you have no skin in this game other than being a sideline moderator. MPGs is an important factor and in the real world, the Maxima does very well, CVT and all.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Guys... can't we all just...... get along
Thanks!

Signed,
Unofficial moderator

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet View Post
Guys... can't we all just...... get along
Thanks!

Signed,
Unofficial moderator

Naw! If everyone agrees it's no fun. Gotta have some spice.