8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Electrical issues after short

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 06:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Electrical issues after short

Hey guys/gals, I am having some issues with my 2016 SR. I was hard wiring my valentine 1 radar to the rear view mirror and I accidentally touched 2 wires and it sparked, nothing major, except that after that the key fob would work at all (to unlock or anything) the car would display “key not detected” or “incorrect key”, also the TMPS stopped working and the home link doesn’t work. There is power to the rear view mirror but homelink won’t work. Checked all the fuses and they are all good. I only have one key fob so I can’t try with another one. I took the car to discount tire since they program the TPMS for free, the tech said the sensors are good but as soon as he hooked up his machine to the OBD port he told me that it wouldn’t read. What did I mess up in the car ? 😩.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aaronurdaneta
Hey guys/gals, I am having some issues with my 2016 SR. I was hard wiring my valentine 1 radar to the rear view mirror and I accidentally touched 2 wires and it sparked, nothing major, except that after that the key fob would work at all (to unlock or anything) the car would display “key not detected” or “incorrect key”, also the TMPS stopped working and the home link doesn’t work. There is power to the rear view mirror but homelink won’t work. Checked all the fuses and they are all good. I only have one key fob so I can’t try with another one. I took the car to discount tire since they program the TPMS for free, the tech said the sensors are good but as soon as he hooked up his machine to the OBD port he told me that it wouldn’t read. What did I mess up in the car ? 😩.

Thanks.
Since the fuses are ok, my money is on a bad body control module (BCM). In the future to prevent this disconnect the battery before working on electrical stuff.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is that expensive to replace, I’m out of warranty .
Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Is that expensive to replace, I’m out of warranty .
That's going to be pricey little radar detector. Should be well under 1 grand on the high side, with tech labor, new part, and installation. Maybe closer to $750? I'm guessing. The new BCM alone is around $400. Don't know if I would trust a used or reman. BCM. I don't think it would do you any good even if your warranty was still intact. Any tech worth his salt would have discovered tampering, voiding any warranty claim! Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Last edited by compyelc4; 03-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How about getting the part and doing the install myself?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 AM

How about getting the part and doing the install myself?
How about getting your car to a Nissan dealer and have the problem diagnosed before you throw $$$ at an unknown problem? You don't have to have them fix it...but considering how well you installed your radar detector...it might be a good idea if someone else attempts expensive, complicated repair to your car.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
How about getting your car to a Nissan dealer and have the problem diagnosed before you throw $$$ at an unknown problem? You don't have to have them fix it...but considering how well you installed your radar detector...it might be a good idea if someone else attempts expensive, complicated repair to your car.
My thoughts exactly! Bid the bullet and get it diagnosed and installed by a pro who has a warranty. You'll be way ahead in the long run, and in 10 years the money will mean nothing. :-)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 AM

As far as I know, the BCM has to be computer matched to the vehicle it is installed in...so unless you have a Nissan Consult 111 Plus, or comparable computer equipment, you are out of luck.

You could install it, but your car will not be able to see it or recognize it.

Sort of like if Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, or Ronnie Milsap put one in their cars.

Last edited by RickSmith; 03-27-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith

You could install it, but your car will not be able to see it or recognize it.

Sort of like if Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, or Ronnie Milsap put one in their cars.
You just aged yourself dude! And I guess by posting this I did too!