8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Nissan Maxima cameras stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019 | 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Nissan Maxima cameras stopped working

Last month, my cameras went out.

It's weird, because when I start the car, the backup camera will work for abut 15 seconds when in reverse

then it goes to the black screen.

The front camera isn't working at all. Whenever I hit in "Camera" control button on the display, nothing happens. It just stays on whatever current display I have up.

I bought it to my local Nissan dealership and that whole ordeal was a disaster. From poor customer service to their "top tech guys" being out for the weeks while my car just stayed in their lot doing nothing.

I bought it yesterday to another dealership and am hoping to have better luck.

Anyone ever run into this problem though? I am hoping it is something that's not too complex or has the service technicians "in over their heads" like the service manager told me it did when I bought it to the dealership the first time.

I have the 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum edition.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:18 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NOSaintsFan09
Last month, my cameras went out.

It's weird, because when I start the car, the backup camera will work for abut 15 seconds when in reverse

then it goes to the black screen.

The front camera isn't working at all. Whenever I hit in "Camera" control button on the display, nothing happens. It just stays on whatever current display I have up.

I bought it to my local Nissan dealership and that whole ordeal was a disaster. From poor customer service to their "top tech guys" being out for the weeks while my car just stayed in their lot doing nothing.

I bought it yesterday to another dealership and am hoping to have better luck.

Anyone ever run into this problem though? I am hoping it is something that's not too complex or has the service technicians "in over their heads" like the service manager told me it did when I bought it to the dealership the first time.

I have the 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum edition.
look on NHTSA see if there is any recalls, i know they had a recall on the back up cameras for 2018-2019 take a look at this post https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...19-recall.html but that is only for 2018-2019 not sure with 2016. good luck bud
Old 12-03-2019 | 11:24 AM

Last month, my cameras went out...
Turn the car off. Open the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel. In the middle, there should be a big white plastic square. It's the shipping and storage mode switch. Pull on it gently and it should pull out a couple millimeters. Wait some 30 seconds, then push it back in vigorously. Turn the car on and hopefully your problem is solved.
Old 12-03-2019 | 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
Turn the car off. Open the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel. In the middle, there should be a big white plastic square. It's the shipping and storage mode switch. Pull on it gently and it should pull out a couple millimeters. Wait some 30 seconds, then push it back in vigorously. Turn the car on and hopefully your problem is solved.
do this as well if nothing on NHTSA.
Old 12-03-2019 | 12:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dmstangu
My car is at the dealership now so any DIY methods I can't try. I am hopeful the dealership fixes it, although it will probably cost me a pretty penny.

But, for some reason, if even this second dealership tells me they don't know what to do (which would be asinine IMO but that's another story), I will try your method. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2019 | 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mr.Santos
look on NHTSA see if there is any recalls, i know they had a recall on the back up cameras for 2018-2019 take a look at this post https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...19-recall.html but that is only for 2018-2019 not sure with 2016. good luck bud
None camera wise for the 2016 Maxima. I did a thorough Google search to see if any other 2016 Nissan Maxima users had the problem and came up empty. It makes me wonder if mine is simply a unique case.
Old 12-03-2019 | 04:47 PM

I understand that New Orleans has the best Nissan dealerships in the USA! Sorry, could not help myself. :-)
Old 12-04-2019 | 04:59 AM

None camera wise for the 2016 Maxima. I did a thorough Google search to see if any other 2016 Nissan Maxima users had the problem and came up empty. It makes me wonder if mine is simply a unique case.
feel for you man, so where they able to fix it at the dealers? if so what was the resolution they came up with.
Old 12-04-2019 | 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought it in Monday. They said they would call me today with an update so when they do I will be sure to let everyone know what they said.

Again, I imagine something like a camera issue shouldn't be TOO hard for service techs to fix. And if it really is as "complex" as the last dealership I bought it to said it was, then I gotta imagine Nissan corporate has methods in place for people who run into software issues with the car (though I'm sure every method will be a pricey one).
Old 12-05-2019 | 10:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dealership called this morning and said it's a "communication issue" with my car and the system. They are going inside the dashboard today to see if it's a power ground issue or a pinched wire. I don't see how it can be a pinched wire but we'll see. I'm hopeful they fix the issue today and I can be rid of this headache. The price was $197 on Monday but has gone up to $371. If they call me and say "we found this problem and that problem and now the price needs to go up to $$$" I will tell them not to worry about it and just live with the defunct cameras. I love the cameras, but they are a luxury, not a necessity. I can't pay too much just for them to correct whatever the communication issue is.

Should know the fate of it later today. They said they expected to be done in 3-4 hours this morning.
Old 12-05-2019 | 06:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dealership was able to fix it. Hooray. It came up to $424.53 after tax. Apparently there was a system configuration issue. The multi AV was not configured properly. They were able to re-code the system when they went into the dashboard. They don't know what specifically caused the configuration defect though.

$425 seems like a steep price for a system configuration issue but I am just glad to be done with this headache and for my camera control button and cameras to be displaying properly again.
Old 12-06-2019 | 05:05 AM

Dealership was able to fix it. Hooray. It came up to $424.53 after tax. Apparently there was a system configuration issue. The multi AV was not configured properly. They were able to re-code the system when they went into the dashboard. They don't know what specifically caused the configuration defect though.

$425 seems like a steep price for a system configuration issue but I am just glad to be done with this headache and for my camera control button and cameras to be displaying properly again.
$425 well glad they found a solution sucks that you had to pay that much but hey at least your problem is solved glad they where able to get it fixed.
Old 08-24-2020 | 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem

I am having the same problem with my 2016 maxima platinum. My front sonar is working but my camera is not showing on the display. It worked fine before but has just stopped recently. I would get obstruction notification when driving in heavy rains. I tried to pull the center white fuse out and it didn’t work... any other suggestions?
Old 08-24-2020 | 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sschumer
robtroxel, so well stated. I have the 360 view camera (Intelligent Around View Monitor) on my '18 Platinum and absolutely love it. Like you, I use it every day and find it incredibly effective.
Are you getting the black screen with the "Please check your surroundings" still visible like I was in the second picture I posted?