8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Nissan Maxima transmission being replaced.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 05:02 PM

2016 Nissan Maxima transmission being replaced.

Well I was on here the other day and saw a thread title 123...65 Next important Info for 2016 & 2017 Owners regarding CVT! . The person mention "Enhanced Diagnostic Logic" for CVT done per NTB16-085.

Now I called My favorite Nissan dealership yesterday and ask them about that and if they could check my car for any codes. The service Advisor said yes so I made an appointment for today at 8:30 am to bring it in, well they check for codes and everything came back good but there was a software update available for my car and I told them to go ahead and perform it, well after they perform the software update they got an error code and that the transmission has to be replaced. I have 67,585 miles on my car and I had the transmission fluid change this past June. I have never had a problem with my transmission. I ask the advisor how long has the update been out and he said over a year. I was under 60,000 miles back in January of this year. The only reason i say that is due to the powertrain warranty that goes up to 60.000 miles. Now i'm still in Good hands due to me having the Nissan Security plus Gold which covers me up to 8 years/123.000 miles. I always assume that when you take your car to the dealer to have service done that they would check to see if your vehicles is in needs of any updates and then perform the updates. My car has been seen by the dealership for service since it was new. Now i have no problem with the dealership. They have always been good to me. So the advisor told me today that they are going to order a new transmission and for me to come back on Monday and they will give me a loaner at no cost to me and Since i have a $ 100.00 deductible I ask him do I pay that up front and he said no, I will pay that when I come and pick up the car.

Like I mention in this post, Ive never had any issues with my transmission, I was only being proactive when I read that post on here and went to have my car check out. Now if i didn't have the Nissan security plus Gold or any aftermarket warranty I would be paying for this out of pocket. My Transmission is still fine even after the software update that they did to it. It's funny when I think about it. If i would have never seen that post on here which trigger me to look into this, I would have never know that they was an error code in My transmission.

My word of advice to my fellow Maxima Owner, If your car is still covered under warranty. Have the dealer check the software to see if it needs to be updated even if you have no issues with your transmission and to check and see if they received any error codes. I'm glad that i got the extended warranty and no, I didn't get the warranty from the dealership where it added to my loan. I got my warranty thru Nissan, Not the dealership for anyone who's wondering. I don't believe in buying aftermarket stuff from the dealer due to that that fact that they mark the price up which makes you even more upside down on your loan.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:13 PM

Holy novel
Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 PM

Thankfully you had that coverage! But yeah I wonder if your transmission woulda been fine in the long run (I think this is the case). But since they got the code, they had to replace it as part of the procedure? I'm gonna do the same thing you did in another 1,000 miles or so.. (I'm at 57,000) so if it pops up then at least I get a new transmission! lol.
Also did they say it'll be a new transmission or just a refurbished one?
Old 08-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Goldpanda94,

The service guy said that are going to order a new transmission, but I will call him tomorrow to double check and I will let you know.

Now According to the warranty:

Genuine Nissan parts Specifically engineered for Nissan vehicles to Maximize performance and reliability.

Replacement of any part will be made with new or remanufactured Genuine or Nissan-approved replacement part use at the time repair. The replacement part may differ from the original part.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:34 PM

If that happened to me and I was out of warranty, I would decline service and get rid of the car like a hot potato. Frankly, this is scandalous: there is nothing ostensibly wrong with the transmission and the car drives just fine, yet Nissan dealerships are insisting that the transmission has to be replaced. This is why I'm planning to trade the car before the powertrain warranty expires. I would keep it for 10+ years, but it's just not worth paying for a new transmission every couple of years. Throwaway cars.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Question for the OP: do you know how long the warranty is on the replacement transmission? I read somewhere that they only cover it for a year.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Slava, That a good question and I will find out tomorrow and will let you know.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by slava
Question for the OP: do you know how long the warranty is on the replacement transmission? I read somewhere that they only cover it for a year.
From the Nissan Warranty Booklet:

HOW LONG IS THE WARRANTY

Except for replacement audio components, this warranty is for 12 months or 12,000 miles from the date of installation or purchase, whichever is earlier. However, the warranty on Genuine Nissan replacement parts, Genuine NISMO S-tune parts, and Genuine Nissan accessories installed during the Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty will extend through, and will not end before, the end of that original warranty.

Last edited by RickSmith; 08-06-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:05 AM

@Tyrone A Anderson,

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to hearing what you find out
Old 08-06-2020, 08:07 AM

If that happened to me and I was out of warranty, I would decline service and get rid of the car like a hot potato. Frankly, this is scandalous: there is nothing ostensibly wrong with the transmission and the car drives just fine, yet Nissan dealerships are insisting that the transmission has to be replaced. This is why I'm planning to trade the car before the powertrain warranty expires. I would keep it for 10+ years, but it's just not worth paying for a new transmission every couple of years. Throwaway cars.
Can you just keep declining to replace the transmission? Like you said nothing is wrong with it really, just its throwing the code and because of that, they then want to replace it. Is there anything keeping us from just continuing to drive it?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
Can you just keep declining to replace the transmission? Like you said nothing is wrong with it really, just its throwing the code and because of that, they then want to replace it. Is there anything keeping us from just continuing to drive it?
Why couldn't you decline the transmission replacement? Don't you own the car? If it is a lease, you might have a problem saying "No".

How do you know "nothing is wrong with it"? If nothing was wrong with it, why did it throw a code that Nissan feels is a fatal flaw and they will pay for replacement?

Isn't that like when someone says they have...
  • Crushing chest pain
  • Arms may feel heavy
  • Shortness of breath
  • Coughing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Face seeming grey in color
  • Feeling clammy and sweaty
But they don't want to go to the ER to be treated for their impending heart attack or stroke because they can still move on their own?

Convince me that your logic is correct. Why wouldn't a rational person want the repairs made while the warranty is valid, and at no or little cost to them? Why wait for failure and pay out of pocket or sell the car for a loss with a bad transmission?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
Why couldn't you decline the transmission replacement? Don't you own the car? If it is a lease, you might have a problem saying "No".

How do you know "nothing is wrong with it"? If nothing was wrong with it, why did it throw a code that Nissan feels is a fatal flaw and they will pay for replacement?

Isn't that like when someone says they have...
  • Crushing chest pain
  • Arms may feel heavy
  • Shortness of breath
  • Coughing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Face seeming grey in color
  • Feeling clammy and sweaty
But they don't want to go to the ER to be treated for their impending heart attack or stroke because they can still move on their own?

Convince me that your logic is correct. Why wouldn't a rational person want the repairs made while the warranty is valid, and at no or little cost to them? Why wait for failure and pay out of pocket or sell the car for a loss with a bad transmission?
Okay I was just replying to the theoretical from the post I was replying to, jeez, not like I'm saying that's the route they MUST to go on lol.

The previous post I was replying to was operating under the assumption that the CVT is still fine and would continue operating just fine without intervention. I don't know what the code means, and it may or may not be something critical or not! But in this hypothetical, it's fine!. The poster I was replying to was annoyed that they'd have to do multiple CVT replacements if this is the case when the CVT would operate fine otherwise (operating again, under the assumption that the CVT is fine and just throwing an obscure code).

Again, the post I was replying to was operating under the assumption that without the new logic intervention, the CVT would still operate fine and we have numerous examples of 2016 and 2017 Maxima users with early gen 8 CVTs that have gone well over 100k miles without running into issues (with proper maintenance and without thrashing the car). The 8th gen CVTs haven't been imploding like the 4 cylinder paired ones. The CVT is just throwing a code that wasn't previously being seen without the new logic.

Having worked in large companies before it's not out of the ordinary for it to just be easier to just throw out an entire machine or process rather than investigate an issue. I'm wondering if this is a similar situation where it's just easier for Nissan to just replace the entire thing rather than a fix that would clear the code. Again, I'm not saying this is the case or not, just it's not out of the ordinary for a large company to do that. Especially with the extent of the CVT failures on the cheaper cars, instead of investigating a CVT, just replace the thing outright. I wouldn't be surprised but that doesn't matter.

I was simply replying to that single post and that situation. I wasn't saying "Hey everyone I know the answers, hurr durr". No need to go nuclear over a hypocritical question lol especially when it was in response to an assumption that the CVT is fine otherwise.

I'm gonna get this diagnostic done while still in warranty and if it needs to be replaced then so be it. Obviously if your CVT is having an issue no duh, get it replaced.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:15 PM

My apologies if i missed it, but was this software update for the transmission itself? Seems insane to me they do a software update and then say, ya we're gonna replace the tranny.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
My apologies if i missed it, but was this software update for the transmission itself? Seems insane to me they do a software update and then say, ya we're gonna replace the tranny.
Service Bulletin NTB16-085 is a reprogramming of the TCM (Transmission Control Module) which enhances the diagnostic process by storing diagnostic trouble codes (DTC).
The new codes are
P17F1 CVT Judder (C/U Inspection)
P17F0 CVT Judder (T/M Inspection

The TCM is external of the CVT. This is a new diagnostic logic that has been established to enhance the diagnostic process by storing trouble codes.

You could say new tools in the diagnostic toolbag.

Saying "they reprogrammed my CVT" is not correct, it was the TCM that was reprogrammed.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 PM

The service advisor said that it going to be a remanufactured transmission, meaning the shell will be used but all the internal parts will be New. Plus the transmission will have a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty. So when the transmission get installed. The first 12,000 miles will be cover by the transmission warranty that came with it, but I still have the security plus gold which covered my car up to 125,000 miles so the transmission will still be covered till the security plus gold warranty expired, I even call Nissan to double check what the service advisor told me. There number Incase anyone wants it is : 1-800-647-7261, option 7. They told me that my security plus gold will still cover the replacement transmission up to 125,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 PM

Thank you. The lesson I draw from this is, don't have this car without a warranty.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 PM

the software was for the transmission update.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:45 PM

Thank you. The lesson I draw from this is, don't have this car without a warranty.

Slava, I wouldn't give up on the car, just because it happened to mine, doesn't mean that it will happened to every Nissan Maxima out there, I remember back in 2018 I was reading reviews about the 2018 Toyota Camry from people who brought the car a lot of people had a lot of bad things to say about that car and i mean a lot, about the quality of the car and that they would never buy another camry again, not that to say that every camry is bad. I spoke to several dealerships service advisor and they said compare to the altima, The maxima has a way better transmission. they have not seen that many maxima in there shop over the transmission. I'm good at asking questions. I love my maxima, I have the platinum, And I think that the car was ahead of itself when it came out in 2015. The camry back then didn't have the dual sunroof let alone the ambient light that go around the dashboard and the front doors but now the top of the line camry has it. That just my 2 cent brother.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrone A Anderson
Slava, I wouldn't give up on the car, just because it happened to mine, doesn't mean that it will happened to every Nissan Maxima out there, I remember back in 2018 I was reading reviews about the 2018 Toyota Camry from people who brought the car a lot of people had a lot of bad things to say about that car and i mean a lot, about the quality of the car and that they would never buy another camry again, not that to say that every camry is bad. I spoke to several dealerships service advisor and they said compare to the altima, The maxima has a way better transmission. they have not seen that many maxima in there shop over the transmission. I'm good at asking questions. I love my maxima, I have the platinum, And I think that the car was ahead of itself when it came out in 2015. The camry back then didn't have the dual sunroof let alone the ambient light that go around the dashboard and the front doors but now the top of the line camry has it. That just my 2 cent brother.
I agree with your points about the Maxima, it had really good tech when it came out, and the exterior design still looks unique 5 years after it came out.

Though I will point out the real Toyota car to compare the Maxima to would be the Avalon. The Camry is their economy mass seller like the Altima. The Avalon is their pseudo-luxury car like the Maxima. Though the Avalon is geared more towards luxury and cruising.

I had a Camry rental recently and the thing couldn't decide what gear it wanted to stay in on the highway and it felt like a boat going around turns, but again its meant to be an economy sedan.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:54 AM

great thread, thanks for posting your story.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
I had a Camry rental recently and the thing couldn't decide what gear it wanted to stay in on the highway and it felt like a boat going around turns, but again its meant to be an economy sedan.
It was a rental so I assume you had the 4cyl LE or whatever the base model Camry is called. Because the V6 SE/XSE/TRD models definitely don’t feel like a boat going around turns.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:01 PM

When i took my car to the dealership the other day like i mention in the earlier thread. After they plug into the computer to check for codes, they came back with a printout that said that everything was good and there was no codes, But that there was a new software update available for the Transmission and i told them to go ahead and download the new software and that when they received a code, I've enclose a picture of the first paper they showed me so you guys can see it, I will keep everyone posted when i take the car in on Monday and let you guys know how everything want, if you guys want me too ?, They did show me the error code and it mention something called "judder", I honestly don't know what that means. Ive been driving the car since then and it drive just fine. I'm still going to have them replace it, knowing my luck. I decline it and after the warranty expires and then the transmission will go out. lol. The only reason i made this post is to educate my fellow Maxima owners.

Old 08-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Sounds like the dealer drumming up some additional work for themselves, at Nissans expense. Then again, the diagnostic could indicate something that is starting to go wrong, and won’t manifest itself until later.

I don’t much sleep over it anymore. I love how responsive and quick the CVT is, not to mention the style and features. I easily had more than 4K in discounts when I bought it, so throwing a little more money at it won’t be the end of the world

Old 08-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by 98 i30t 5spd
It was a rental so I assume you had the 4cyl LE or whatever the base model Camry is called. Because the V6 SE/XSE/TRD models definitely don’t feel like a boat going around turns.
You would be correct
Old 08-09-2020, 11:57 AM

Methinks the dealership people either:

- were lazy, and preferred to replace the whole CVT instead of going through the steps of fixing per the NTB linked below; or
- they had a re-manufactured CVT laying around that they needed to sell,

and found someone with a warranty willing to pay for it. Or there were more issues with your CVT that they didn't tell you about (e.g. they 'effed up your TCM during the software upgrade).

This NTB describes in detail the work needed to be done after enhanced diagnostics is performed and either of the PF17F0 or P17F1 is found.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...73605-0001.pdf
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Hey Gents, I just got my car back today. Here are some pictures of the old and new transmission....

The Old Transmission

The new Transmission.

the New transmission

The New transmission.

The old transmission.

New Transmission
Old 08-14-2020, 07:59 PM

I took the car in the past Tuesday 8/11/2020 since it was my day off, and since the dealership had no Rentals cars Enterprise Rent a car came over and pick me up and took me there place to rent a car, Enterprise told me since it's warranty work, the only car that i could rent is a Nissan, Nissan security plus will only pay for Nissan rentals. They gave me a 2019 Nissan Altima SL. Enterprise Billed the Dealership so the only thing that I had to give was a $ 50.00 Deposit to enterprise, They said that would get returned when i return the car. Now according to the Security plus warranty, It's say's that YOU pay for the rental and they will reimburse you. Enterprise said that the Dealer is going to pay for it and get reimbursed by Nissan. They do a lot of warranty work with my Dealer. I return the Car today, Aug 14 and Got my car back.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:30 PM

Hmmm very interesting pics Tyrone, thanks for sharing. Are you in the Phoenix area by chance? Mind sharing which dealer you've been working with? I may want to bring mine in at some point.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the great follow up with your adventure to get the new CVT in your car. Glad the warranty kicked in for you. Now hopefully your car will be right for the rest of your ownership.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:39 PM

Goldpanda94 Hmmm very interesting pics Tyrone, thanks for sharing. Are you in the Phoenix area by chance? Mind sharing which dealer you've been working with? I may want to bring mine in at some point.

Avondale Nissan
Old 08-19-2020, 06:24 AM

the new altima looks really really good. so are you gonna get the $50 deposit reimbursed by Avondole Nissan?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
the new altima looks really really good. so are you gonna get the $50 deposit reimbursed by Avondole Nissan?

Enterprise gave me the $ 50.00 deposit back.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a 2016 maxima with 93000km (57000miles) on it and my transmission will be replaced september 2 at the dealer under warranty. Thank the lord few days before the end of the warranty. I had some judder issues since a few months.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a (soon to be disposed of) 2010 Maxima. The transmission crapped out at 105,000 miles and 2 weeks before the 10 yr / 120K extended powertrain (Nissan did this for the 2009 and 2010 model). Thankfully I got a new transmission installed under that warranty. That was back in February of this year. Experienced the judder a few times (never once in my old tranny for 10 years). Last week, it went into limp mode. I literally limped it to the dealership and was told the TCM (Transmission Control Module) needs to be replaced for $1500. Now I never had a problem with the tranny until it died earlier this year, let alone the TCM. Coincidence that the TCM crapped out? I'm guessing not. So I'm having them fix it, then unloading this ticking time-bomb IMMEDIATELY thereafter. On top of this, I currently own (again, so to be unloaded) a 2015 Pathfinder., That POS had the tranny (same tranny as the Maxima) replaced at 50K (under warranty) last year, then the transfer case replaced a month later (under warrany), THEN the left axle literally fell out pulling into my office parking lot. Another tow (3rd one) to the dealership and fixed under warranty. All of this within 7 months. Was planning to trade it in this weekend, and NOW I have a bad wheel bearing on the POS Pathfinder (can't make this stuff up). Getting that repaired (at my expense) next Monday by my mechanic. Then I will be getting rid of both of junkers and getting SOMETHING, ANYTHING other than a Nissan (looking at a Lexus as they are SUPER reliable). I and 2 Nissans (that have been well-taken care of) and I can't drive either of the right now. A Fred Flintstone peddle mobile would be a welcome addition. NEVER again for a Nissan. I know this is just my experience, but I'm not alone with these tranny problems. Just venting, but also warning those out there that it's most likely just a matter of time...
Old 09-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The transmission was replace last thursday.

Since then i ear a strange sound when a drive, kind like bearings noise. I am very dissapointed and i will bring back the car to the dealer.

I'm beginning to regret my Nissan choice.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:22 PM

Francilois,

your transmission has a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty on it. I would take it back to the dealership and have them take a look at it, I haven't had any problems with my replacement transmission.