Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

D2 Coilovers 4 7th Gen. Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 AM

D2 Coilovers 4 7th Gen. Maxima

Hey all; I am new to the suspension and I am thinking about going ahead and buying a set of D2 coilovers for my 09' Maxima. Is there anything that I should know about coilovers in general and is there anything that I should know about D2?

Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to seeing what you all have to say.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Bump! Can anyone help me out here?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Maximoneypit

Ive had them for years on my 4th gen. I personally have liked them for what they are although I swapped out the 9/7 spring rates for something a little more DD friendly (7/6). If you search around youll get a lot of different opinions about them. Yes JICs are better but cost at least twice as much. For the money I paid I cant complain. I never get noises from mine bc I routinely grease the ball joints, a problem many complain about. Be advised though that "harsh" is a subjective term when it comes to suspension ride quality. Over the years Ive had like 5 different spring/strut combos. Because of the retarded stock ride height on the 4th gen I wanted coilovers bc I could still get full suspension travel and a decent drop. Does this eff up suspension geometry due to LCA angles and put more stress on the CV joints? YES. But my car is a DD, not a track car so I dont mind as much. Just one of the drawbacks to modding a maxima. So you really need to ask yourself what youre going for.

You should know with coilovers you obviously open a whole new can of worms when it comes to adjustablility. This is good and bad depending on how you look at it.
Good: You can mess with camber, ride height, dampening, they are lighter than spring/strut setups, full suspension travel even with lower drops. etc.
Bad: By having all these options most anytime you mess with these adjustments you WILL need an alignment.

So I would say you need to decide if for what you do with your car, do you want all these options and are you willing to have a stiffer ride. This is just touching the surface IMO. I would search all old threads about these and see what others have to say. For me and what I want out of my car, at the price I got them, Im overall satisfied.