All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VQ35 internals in VQ30 makes VQ33 stroker, bolt on! PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

VQ35 internals in VQ30 makes VQ33 stroker, bolt on! PICS!

Well im sure some of yall saw the thread that IceY2k1 put up about this being possible. Since I had a spare engine (VQ30) and DaveB had a VQ35 sitting around, we basically test fit these parts. Thanks to both of these guys for helping out on this.

So basically I put in the VQ35 Crankshaft, VQ35 Rods and VQ30 Piston Head all going into the VQ30 block. This is a COMPLETE drop in kit. I mean even the main bearing caps, main bearing cap beam, and rod bearings were all from the VQ30 and it fit perfectly. Without a hitch. Now on a sidenote, not sure why it was said the VQ35 piston heads was dished/valve reliefs, but it doesnt. Its as flat as it gets. The VQ30 has an ever so slight dish to it.

So for you people who want more performance via NA application, this would be a HUGE benefit. It will stroke your engine to about a 3316cc and your Compression Ratio will go to 11:1 using stock parts. No need to buy custom pistons and rods.

Pictures
----------
Crankshaft comparisons 1
Crankshaft comparisons 2
Crankshaft comparisons 3
Crankshaft comparisons 4

Piston/Rods Comparison 1
Piston/Rods Comparison 2

VQ35 Piston 1
VQ35 Piston 2
VQ35 Piston 3

Finally VQ33 Stroker installed!

Dixit
Old 04-02-2004, 10:45 PM

Excellent work Dixit

edit: Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to get it running or is that still in the process? This would be an awesome upgrade for the N/A people
Old 04-02-2004, 10:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Not quite sure how many people on the Org know what a stroker motor is, ..you will get more of a response if you post a " Cold air intake " thread..
Old 04-02-2004, 10:47 PM

Sweet! Nice work Dixit!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
Excellent work Dixit

edit: Out of curiosity, have you had a chance to get it running or is that still in the process? This would be an awesome upgrade for the N/A people
Hahha, easy there cheetah. These pics were just taken today. Plan is to lower the CR down to 8.5:1 for the turbo.

But right now might be taking longer on the project cause now technically the crank needs to be balanced. Some say it should, some say no need. Last thing you want is this setup in the car and rev it to 6500 while it shakes the living hell out of the block and parts fall off it.

Dixit
Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by kloogy
Not quite sure how many people on the Org know what a stroker motor is, ..you will get more of a response if you post a " Cold air intake " thread..

makes me wonder if it can be done for the VE.. interesting idea - VE stroker
Old 04-03-2004, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maximan190

makes me wonder if it can be done for the VE.. interesting idea - VE stroker

sadly no, however VE's still have a larger stroke compared to the VQ30/VQ35 so yaaay
Old 04-03-2004, 02:45 AM

Mmmm torque..........

Good work guys! This looks promising! Nice pics also. Keep us updated.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Sports Button FTW

would you be willing to sell that engine ?
Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 AM
My heroine

Nice work.. seriously impressive
Old 04-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Administrator

so the VQ35 Crankshaft and VQ35 Rods are the only VQ35 parts you are using?
Old 04-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Kevlo for President

Cool.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
so the VQ35 Crankshaft and VQ35 Rods are the only VQ35 parts you are using?
Yeap. I got the main bearing cap and rod bearing and a few other things, but not necessary. They all are identical. DaveB said some of them have the same part#s going back to 1995 VQ30s.

would you be willing to sell that engine ?
Anything can be sold for a price. But seems clear on this board that people think a $2000 part is worth tops $500. Yea I'd be willing to sell it, but its not going to be cheap.

Dixit
Old 04-03-2004, 06:42 AM
aka UNCDooD

doh, and just when I was thinking about selling my maxima. This is very tempting but I think I might sell her anyways. Very nice find, Dixit.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:47 AM
Father of the 00 VI

This is great ,I was going to get a 2000 engine and throw it in. Now I'll being making it a 3.3 .
A 4th gen with 3.3 liter vq with 2000 VI
Old 04-03-2004, 06:58 AM
VQ Wizard

Don't jump to conclusions people. There is more work here to be done. IMO stroking a VQ30 is a waste of time considering the fact that you can just use the entire 3.5 liter shortblock. However it is VERY interesting that the VQ35 crank and rods fit the way they did. I didn't expect the 93mm pistons to go to zero deck.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:17 AM
The original VQ...

wow this is interesting , i may reconsider selling the max now.

Some kid i met talked about this before but it didnt sound like he knew what he was talking about so i didnt think it culd be done, this is awsome!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:34 AM

Pretty neat, lets see what it comes out to in the final stages.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:01 AM

You...............are....................sick!

-Tony
Old 04-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Hahha, easy there cheetah. These pics were just taken today. Plan is to lower the CR down to 8.5:1 for the turbo.

But right now might be taking longer on the project cause now technically the crank needs to be balanced. Some say it should, some say no need. Last thing you want is this setup in the car and rev it to 6500 while it shakes the living hell out of the block and parts fall off it.

Dixit
Just a question man, just a question...

Its just that some things "look" like they would work but probelms might occur when everything is ready to get running That is why I asked.

As far as the crank needing to br balanced, it shoulndt need to be but if your going to take your time doing a project like a motor build I sure as hell would atleast get the balance checked out. If it for some reason need a bit of balancing, I doubt its going to be much.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:24 PM
www.autotalk.com

This is nice... Lets see the final outcome before jumping onto conclusions.. Great work though!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:15 PM

Wow that is great. Props to you!!!!

What is the bore difference between the 3.0 and 3.5?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:17 PM

93mm 3.0L
94.5mm 3.5L
Old 04-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wow, amazing! Someone needs to get this 3.3L on the dyno, see what it makes...

Eric
Old 04-03-2004, 09:28 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
93mm 3.0L
95.5mm 3.5L

Old 04-03-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

Nice. Offhand, I'll say that the crank itself is pretty well balanced. So putting it in anything "shouldn't" be a problem. I guess it would depend how Nissan did the balancing originally. ie.. balanced the crank by itself, with the flywheel, with the rods attached etc.. I don't know. I would think Nissan would keep each individual part to a pretty tight spec. This would allow them to mix and match cranks/rods/pistons w/o having to worry about getting the whole assembly balanced as a whole.

But my real question is, how would the new compression and displacement work with the existing ie.. 4-gen ecu? I don't think the displacement really matters too much if the injectors have enough capacity. But upping the compression usually requires modification to the fuel curves. I think it would start fine, run the cold temp program fine. And it should probably idle and run part throttle fine. But when you push it, I wonder if the ecu will be able to adapt via the O2 sensor fast enough. I think it would probably be able to compensate okay. But it seems it would always be looking at the preset tables and then have to rely on the o2 to compensate. Timing curves are another issue. With higher compression, the timing curve tables on the stock ecu might/might not be matched up. I would think the timing might be a little too aggressive. Maybe the stock ecu's curves and the higher compression might be a good match(ie... poor man's jwt ecu). But if the timing curves make the KS kick it, it will REALLY pull back the timing. Probably way too much and hurt performance. Maybe slot the crank angle sensor mount and change the base timing a bit? Just some thoughts.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Jedi Knight

Very interesting...bump!!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:32 AM

This was suppose to be top secret work in progress what happened? he probably got too excited and could not hold out anymore
Old 04-04-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
This was suppose to be top secret work in progress what happened? he probably got too excited and could not hold out anymore
Well I let this part out because im changing my plans on the build up. This will not be incorporated anymore.

Dixit
Old 04-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
But my real question is, how would the new compression and displacement work with the existing ie.. 4-gen ecu? I don't think the displacement really matters too much if the injectors have enough capacity. But upping the compression usually requires modification to the fuel curves. I think it would start fine, run the cold temp program fine. And it should probably idle and run part throttle fine. But when you push it, I wonder if the ecu will be able to adapt via the O2 sensor fast enough. I think it would probably be able to compensate okay. But it seems it would always be looking at the preset tables and then have to rely on the o2 to compensate. Timing curves are another issue. With higher compression, the timing curve tables on the stock ecu might/might not be matched up. I would think the timing might be a little too aggressive. Maybe the stock ecu's curves and the higher compression might be a good match(ie... poor man's jwt ecu). But if the timing curves make the KS kick it, it will REALLY pull back the timing. Probably way too much and hurt performance. Maybe slot the crank angle sensor mount and change the base timing a bit? Just some thoughts.
This is very true. But lets say you had the Greddy eManage. You can use that to adjust the Fuel maps via the injector map and also adjust the timing map as well. So really there is no need for a new engine computer. Would be nice but can be done with the eManage.

Jeff also you probably know this but in closed loop the ecu will be able to compensate on the fuel part. But WOT it will have to rely on the preset maps which we can adjust with an SAFC or eManage.

Dixit
Old 04-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice. Offhand, I'll say that the crank itself is pretty well balanced. So putting it in anything "shouldn't" be a problem. I guess it would depend how Nissan did the balancing originally. ie.. balanced the crank by itself, with the flywheel, with the rods attached etc.. I don't know. I would think Nissan would keep each individual part to a pretty tight spec. This would allow them to mix and match cranks/rods/pistons w/o having to worry about getting the whole assembly balanced as a whole.
I forget where, but I just read an article on how the SR20s were so balanced that when they did a balance/blue-print, it was very minor and probably not necessary. They were comparing to the VQ30 in that article too.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but typically the pistons and rods are what is typically balanced FIRST...then the crank counter weights. So, I think IF Dixit or someone was to complete this, they should buy/borrow a VERY accurate digital scale(chem scale from school lab?) and mix/match the rods/pistons/wrist pins as best as possible.

Who's talking about a 4th gen ECU?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:29 AM

So, then shouldn't it be possible do the opposite thing to a 3.5L (de-stroking it) reducing it's displacement and lowering the CR thereby making it much more boost friendly?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stereodude
So, then shouldn't it be possible do the opposite thing to a 3.5L (de-stroking it) reducing it's displacement and lowering the CR thereby making it much more boost friendly?
The bore sizes are different. I guess you could use the VQ30 crank and rods and the VQ35 pistons. Other people would probally know better. Why don't you just buy the SGP pistons?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:32 PM

This is an EXCELLENT find....props to you, Dixit!

I would definitely keep an eye of this thread so when the time comes for a new engine......
Old 04-04-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I forget where, but I just read an article on how the SR20s were so balanced that when they did a balance/blue-print, it was very minor and probably not necessary. They were comparing to the VQ30 in that article too.

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but typically the pistons and rods are what is typically balanced FIRST...then the crank counter weights. So, I think IF Dixit or someone was to complete this, they should buy/borrow a VERY accurate digital scale(chem scale from school lab?) and mix/match the rods/pistons/wrist pins as best as possible.
Yes but all the parts should be first washed in my parts washer, then dried to ensure there is no oil on the parts that can throw the weight off as well. Oil is heavy and will throw the weight off a bit.

Dixit
Old 04-04-2004, 03:23 PM
UCF Lexus

Its even better to see it in person.

Cant wait for your next step Dmoney
Old 04-04-2004, 04:45 PM
I miss the .org!

How cool is this...good work!
Old 04-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Lightly modded

what kind of gains would be expected from this project? i would love to see a video of this engine in action. i bet it will sound cool....
Old 04-04-2004, 05:04 PM

not to be a ****er or anything but here goes....
when i was in HS i had a mustang. this mustang was a 87 hatchback. i spent about 400 bucks on it and spent about $2500 on the motor. Needless to say it would have smoked any maxima ive ever seen all for about $6500 when all said and done.

This is a great find and seems to be a great mod for the maxima but is it really worth it?

This was just sparked by seeing the word stroker. It reminded me of the real hotrods my buddies used to have with 302's, 350's and 400's.

My point is, this project or mod will be so costly and time consuming with such a minimal improvement. Or at least I think it would be.

I guess im just kinda suprised to see the maxima worked this hard. In my eyes its not the drag racing hot rod that this mod is worthy of. I guess I have a little gearhead bias still in me.

PS like i said i dont want to be a ****er. This is great find and what seems to be a great mod for the maxima.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by VQvroom
not to be a ****er or anything but here goes....
when i was in HS i had a mustang. this mustang was a 87 hatchback. i spent about 400 bucks on it and spent about $2500 on the motor. Needless to say it would have smoked any maxima ive ever seen all for about $6500 when all said and done.

This is a great find and seems to be a great mod for the maxima but is it really worth it?

This was just sparked by seeing the word stroker. It reminded me of the real hotrods my buddies used to have with 302's, 350's and 400's.

My point is, this project or mod will be so costly and time consuming with such a minimal improvement. Or at least I think it would be.

I guess im just kinda suprised to see the maxima worked this hard. In my eyes its not the drag racing hot rod that this mod is worthy of. I guess I have a little gearhead bias still in me.

PS like i said i dont want to be a ****er. This is great find and what seems to be a great mod for the maxima.
What kind of times did it run?

Quick Reply: VQ35 internals in VQ30 makes VQ33 stroker, bolt on! PICS!