All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

350z IM on fwd maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 07:43 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Would it be possible to just cut the neck and weld on a new TB plate facing the drivers' side?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:45 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Would it be possible to just cut the neck and weld on a new TB plate facing the drivers' side?
go ahead and try it

Old 03-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Custom User Title

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Bacon Lover

That's what Vasily and I were discussing last night, but since he doesn't much care about it...well...

Vasily, check your PMs.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:14 AM

I was just hoping he had some insight into whether it *MIGHT* be possible, since I don't have a 350Z UIM sitting here in front of me....
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

are you sure it will fitt even with the neck cutt off? I have been thinking about this and it still seems the manifold doesn't slope down enough in the front.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was just hoping he had some insight into whether it *MIGHT* be possible, since I don't have a 350Z UIM sitting here in front of me....
Well, it seems his "insight" was hardly helpful.

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
go ahead and try it
Old 03-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by virgilio7
I don't think this can be done cause of the way the runners are setup. one bank is going to have more flow than the other. 3 runner are going to get all the air. you will have to turn 90 degrees the whole plenum.
I was actually thinking along those lines too (and I'm still learning here). The openings from the runners are currently all in line with the IM, but if you rotate the lower 90 degs, they'd be perpendicular. Wouldn't that disrupt the flow pretty significantly even if the lower could be designed to feed all 6 cylinders equally?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what Matt's idea is...
Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
+1 on that brotha
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM

i am not going to be worrying about 6.3 % flow that the 335cc injectors give over the 315cc injectors. if i were using way bigger injectors then its a different story
But why would you use bigger injectors than necessary and not tune the AFR back to stoich? That makes you LOOSE POWER. Its like shooting yourself in the foot.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster

He usually isnt because his bro does everything and the way they do everything is the right way.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
He usually isnt because his bro does everything and the way they do everything is the right way.
ha
Old 03-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by chris'smax
are you sure it will fitt even with the neck cutt off? I have been thinking about this and it still seems the manifold doesn't slope down enough in the front.
I'm sure it will still be too tall, but instead of having a total of 4 bends in the intake piping like vsymoylov, there will be no bends, maybe 1 bend, and the intake piping won't have to be routed in front of the engine.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 AM

+1....the hood clearance will still be an issue, I just don't like how he routed it.

Kinitex or whoever could easily change their mold to have a straight inlet and slant down even if needed. I wonder how many orders it would take to get them interested.

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I'm sure it will still be too tall, but instead of having a total of 4 bends in the intake piping like vsymoylov, there will be no bends, maybe 1 bend, and the intake piping won't have to be routed in front of the engine.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

There's supposed to be one for the V6 altima going on now. Not sure if they ever finished but it WAS being produced.

+1....the hood clearance will still be an issue, I just don't like how he routed it.

Kinitex or whoever could easily change their mold to have a straight inlet and slant down even if needed. I wonder how many orders it would take to get them interested.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:27 AM

The thread on the altima board is long. Who knows if they will ever finish that thing, plus its going to cost 800+.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
There's supposed to be one for the V6 altima going on now. Not sure if they ever finished but it WAS being produced.
I woulndn't put my money on that their manifold is going to be coming out. 80 pages and 1200 posts later and they still have yet to come out with anything.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 AM
VQ Wizard

i am not going to be worrying about 6.3 % flow that the 335cc injectors give over the 315cc injectors. if i were using way bigger injectors then its a different story
Some people just refuse to listen and learn from the experience of others. Have fun with another new project with sub-par performance.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Some people just refuse to listen and learn from the experience of others. Have fun with another new project with sub-par performance.

Maybe if his bro decides to do it he will let us know and somehow make it seem that he was right all along
Old 03-07-2006, 10:55 AM
maxS

[QUOTE=SR20DEN]Above 40% throttle it will not. You need to put the 315cc injectors back in, or get a piggyback fuel computer to compensate for the 20cc flow difference while in the static maps.

There is no science behined this statement

Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
vsamoylov

you used 390cc not 335cc injectors. so the difference between 315cc and 390cc is 75cc so that is a 24% increase. here we are talking about less way less flow.

and the reason why i said go ahead and try it because i dont see a point in it. and whoever said about the bends in the piping nothing is wrong with it and there is nothign wrong with putting the piping in frotn of the engine. look at the sc guys and where the piping runs.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
maxS

And some people go nuts when they get their but kicked.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
if doing things the cost effective way and having logic and getting it done is the right way, i cant argue with that.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM

kinetix is supposed to release it anyday now. BUT, they been saying that for a while. last week they said 2 weeks max for final test fitting.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
maxS

BTW, we really are having FUN with this project and its performance...

Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Kevlo for President

if doing things the cost effective way and having logic and getting it done is the right way, i cant argue with that.

Oh the irony...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM

you used 390cc not 335cc injectors. so the difference between 315cc and 390cc is 75cc so that is a 24% increase. here we are talking about less way less flow.

and the reason why i said go ahead and try it because i dont see a point in it. and whoever said about the bends in the piping nothing is wrong with it and there is nothign wrong with putting the piping in frotn of the engine. look at the sc guys and where the piping runs.

He's not arguing that it is a small jump in injector size, he is just saying you will not be hitting the full potential of your setup. Some 5.5gen guys gain a substantial amount of power by using a safc to tune their afr. You are just digging your self deeper in a hole by not tunning that car while running larger than stock injectors. I believe that the 5.5 gen runs rich after 5k rpm w/ factory settings. Do yourself a favor and get a piggyback, tune it and enjoy it
Old 03-07-2006, 12:52 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

so with my 4th gen ECU, i'll definitely be sure to use an AFC. the ECU won't be able to compensate for the larger injectors, and i'll be sure to use the stock 3.5 injectors. No point in doing it wrong the first time.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
so with my 4th gen ECU, i'll definitely be sure to use an AFC. the ECU won't be able to compensate for the larger injectors, and i'll be sure to use the stock 3.5 injectors. No point in doing it wrong the first time.
It will compensate while in closed loop. When in open loop (above 40% throttle) that is where the SAFC is used to make fuel adjustments. And yes you will have to use the the 3.5L injectors or DEK injectors along with the 3.5 or DEK injector clips
Old 03-07-2006, 01:23 PM
VQ Wizard

How many A33Bs have gained power from removing excess fuel from the STOCK 315cc injectors? About 95% of the A33Bs on Maxima.org that have piggyback fuel computers installed have had to remove 5-10% from the MAF voltage while using the STOCK 315cc injectors.

If that still doesn't spell it out for you I don't know what will. But you've already made your point clear that you refuse to agree so it's pointless for me to offer anymore assisntance in this thread.

Have fun with your car and your 11:1 A/F Ratio.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

why run rich at all? No point, if all you have to do to lean it out a bit is to use stock injectors. AFC here I come!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

No dyno no care.

No track times, no dynos to go by, nothing.... Just pictures. But from the pictures should come data.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Custom User Title

and whoever said about the bends in the piping nothing is wrong with it and there is nothign wrong with putting the piping in frotn of the engine. look at the sc guys and where the piping runs.
I never said there was anything wrong with your piping, although I think most would agree that getting rid of the plenum elbow and using one straight intake piping would be a better choice.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:47 PM

NA intake resistance is far more serious then on a FI car.

Just look at how optimized, ie straight, the stock 350Z setup is. If you care to learn why, read the SAE technical paper on it and the 20% less restriction it caused.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
vsamoylov

Man everybody is soo smart here with their comments.
first of all about the piping. a couple of 45 degree bends in 3 inch piping will provide intake resistance? prove that.
open loop is when the throttle is wide open. how is 40% open loop? so you are saying i am driving in open loop all the time which means no feedback from o2 sensors?

the ecu still compensates for the added fuel

Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 PM
maxS

well... ppl, please do not make silly conclusions, you don't have all the info on the setup, trust me. how about if i said that we are running a z ecu, that should be good enough, right?
the other thing, if someone can prove that a few 45 deg bends on 3" piping create that much of a restriction, i WILL rework the setup.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:56 PM

first of all about the piping. a couple of 45 degree bends in 3 inch piping will provide intake resistance? prove that.
open loop is when the throttle is wide open. how is 40% open loop? so you are saying i am driving in open loop all the time which means no feedback from o2 sensors?

Dude i just don't see why you are arguing w/ everyone on the ecu/ injector issue. It is stated in the damn FSM. Why do you think all these people bother with piggy backs? It sure isn't becuase they light up pretty. You will run rich and you you will see it if they hook up a wideband to your car on the dyno.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
dot dot dot ...

I commend you on what you did, but with these types of statements its still hard to respect yor knowledge. Open loop is not what you stated.

The info you need to read up on is in the FSM. What you typed, and your opinion on what exactly is happening when you say 'compenasate' makes no sense in relation to what the FSM states.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
vsamoylov

directly from fsm
"The amount of fuel injected from the fuel injector is determined by the ECM. The ECM controls the length of time the valve remains open (injection pulse duration). The amount of fuel injected is a program value in the
ECM memory. The program value is preset by engine operating conditions. These conditions are determined by input signals (for engine speed and intake air) from both the crankshaft position sensor and the mass air
flow sensor."
In addition, the amount of fuel injected is compensated to improve engine performance under various operating conditions as listed below.

<Fuel increase>

. During warm-up
. When starting the engine
. During acceleration
. Hot-engine operation
. When selector lever is changed from “N” to “D”
. High-load, high-speed operation
<Fuel decrease>

. During deceleration
. During high engine speed operation

Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
vsamoylov

The mixture ratio feedback system provides the best air-fuel mixture ratio for driveability and emission control. The warm-up three way catalyst can then better reduce CO, HC and NOx emissions. This system uses
a heated oxygen sensor 1 in the exhaust manifold to monitor if the engine operation is rich or lean. The ECM
adjusts the injection pulse width according to the sensor voltage signal. For more information about the heated FE
oxygen sensor 1, refer to EC-240. This maintains the mixture ratio within the range of stoichiometric (ideal
air-fuel mixture).
This stage is referred to as the closed loop control condition. CL
Heated oxygen sensor 2 is located downstream of the three way catalyst (manifold). Even if the switching
characteristics of the heated oxygen sensor 1 shift, the air-fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric by the signal from the heated oxygen sensor 2. MT

Quick Reply: 350z IM on fwd maxima