All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

A little help with Diagnosis Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A little help with Diagnosis Please

Okay, before I start to freak out about the health of my low mileage (71k) VQ30, I'd like someone to give me some good news. The last couple oil changes I've smelled fuel. At first I thought it was because I used my oil drain container to bleed brakes and pretty much everything else in between, but the second time around, the smell was still there. Even when I pull the dipstick and smell the oil directly, it's still there. I have no codes, and the motor runs like a champ. Only motor changes I have done to date are PR CAI, CA to Fed front exhaust manifold, simulating the two downstream o2 sensors, and Cattman Y. No computer changes, no internal motor work, nothing but TLC.

Only thing I can think is bad injector seal, or the MAF is making it run extremely rich.

Anyone have any ideas or experience this problem?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 AM
3.5 in the works

The oil itself smells like gas or the smell is around the dipstick area? Two very different things....
Old 08-18-2006, 06:51 AM

When I drained my oil the first two times, the oil in the pan smelled very much like fuel. I didn't think much of it at the time because I thought it was just the pan. I pulled my dip stick last night and the oil on the end of the dipstick smells like fuel. When the car is running and or sitting, I never smell fuel in the engine compartment, Just in the oil.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:00 AM
3.5 in the works

If there's gas in the oil that is not good. The oil will break down and wear gets accelerated. Does the car hard-start, or misfire at all? Does it consume oil?

It could be several things: a short driving cycle that doesn't allow the engine to warm up, leaking injector(s), bad FPR, fouled spark plugs or the worst case scenario engine wear (eg - blowby).

I'd check the easy things first, plugs, fuel pressure/(FPR) etc.. check the PCV valve also.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the information DandyMax. The car fires right up and cycles through the warm up process perfectly. No misfires, no oil comsumption, nothing noticeably out of the ordinary.

I plan to do the 00VI swap in a few weeks, so new plugs, new pcv, new upper and lower IM gaskets, etc. are in order. I may go ahead and do a new fpr as well. I'm hoping for the best and fear the possibility of blowby. I really don't feel like pulling the motor and doing a complete rebuild on my DD.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by toddemullins
Thanks for the information DandyMax. The car fires right up and cycles through the warm up process perfectly. No misfires, no oil comsumption, nothing noticeably out of the ordinary.

I plan to do the 00VI swap in a few weeks, so new plugs, new pcv, new upper and lower IM gaskets, etc. are in order. I may go ahead and do a new fpr as well. I'm hoping for the best and fear the possibility of blowby. I really don't feel like pulling the motor and doing a complete rebuild on my DD.
It makes no sense to further mod your car without fixing any existing problems. They may compound on you and drive you crazy!
Do a compression check, have the injectors checked , cleaned and balanced,
and do an electrical test on the maf.
I guarantee you'll be sorry later on if you don't
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 AM

Good advice. Thank you. It's taken me months to acquire the parts for the 00VI, so waiting some more time to sort out the oil/fuel issue is no big deal for me.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Okay, so here is what I have so far:

I checked the ECU again, and no codes. I tested the MAF and my values are at idle = 1.07v and at 2500 rpm = 1.74v. It looks like the maf is working okay. I pulled all my plugs and closely inspected them and here is what they look like after about 10k miles:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2344932/1

when I pulled all the plugs out, man did it smell like raw fuel coming out of each of the cylinder head spark plug holes.

I did a compression check and found the following:
#1 = 210 psi
#3 = 210 psi
#5 = 210 psi
#2 = 205 psi
#4 = 200 psi
#6 = 210 psi

It looks like cyclinders #2 and #4 are lower, but still not low in relationship to factory specs. I guess the next step would be to start checking the fuel injectors and fpr. Anyone have some ideas on a good diagnosis at this point? Am I on the right track here?