All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

WHY is this not a sticky!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Which reminds me, I ought to get some hose for that thing so I can attach it to the intake somewhere...
Which "thing" are you talking about? lol

Curt, I apologize for missing that line. Think I just found LIM with injectors, rails, and clips for $130. Do I actually need those clips or what? I read another thread I think that was saying you didnt need the 5th clips? I think I read incorrectly. That was late last night....
Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Curt
If I recall, that is what I wrote!
Just curious what your reccomendations are for cleaning it. I already tried to, and managed to get a good bit of stuff, but not everything. I'd also like to see my power rod be cleaner and there's some carbon stuck to it I can't seem to get off completely.
Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Which "thing" are you talking about? lol
The nipple on the VIAS that controls air in/out of the solenoid. The thing we were talking about "sucking on" to test the VIAS functionality.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use for a small nipple (same size as the one coming off the VIAS I just talked about) that I can put on my intake midpipe? Worst comes to worst, I'll take the one off my stock midpipe and use it, but I'd prefer not to touch my stock midpipe in case I ever decide to put it back on.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Can't use reuse the stock tube even if you go back after? I thought your site said you needed a bigger nipple for the VIAS?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Bacon Lover

Can't use reuse the stock tube even if you go back after? I thought your site said you needed a bigger nipple for the VIAS?
The only things I added as far as nipples to the manifold were one on top and one on the side (both on the TB flange), which were for EVAP and IACV.

Do you know how small the nipple is on the front of the VIAS? Like, as tiny as they come. The only nipple that comes like that stock anywhere on the 4th gen is a little metal one sticking out of the stock intake midpipe, which would likely have to be drilled off. Sure, I could probably JB weld it back on if I ever felt like putting the stock midpipe back on, but I'd prefer to find another nipple/substitute before trying that idea.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Also, I now have a maintenance section up on my 00VI site. Keep the suggestions coming, folks!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Nice job with the maintenance, I'll check it out soon. Not sure about the nipples. I'm not sure what even has to be changed for them. I know it's on your website so I'll check again. I'm using all 5th gen stuff so I can replace the 4th stuff if need be. I'm wondering one thign tho....2001 I30 parts will work for the swap too correct?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Bacon Lover

2001 I30 parts will work for the swap too correct?
Yup. No differences.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM

Awesome. Got a good deal going on then. So do I need the 5th gen clips? What exactly are they? I have a guess but I want to make sure haha
Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Bacon Lover

Awesome. Got a good deal going on then. So do I need the 5th gen clips? What exactly are they? I have a guess but I want to make sure haha
What are they? They're the little plugs that connect the wiring harness to the injectors; essentially, what you "plug in" to each injector.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:26 PM

Ok thats what I thought they were. Looked stupid even trying not too lol. Any pics of the plugs? I gotta see what needs to be soldered...
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Bacon Lover

Ok thats what I thought they were. Looked stupid even trying not too lol. Any pics of the plugs? I gotta see what needs to be soldered...
It should just be 2 wires for each injector, and Curt explained how to wire them on the first page of this thread. Don't have any pics, though, sorry
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 PM

Hey do you know what the brackets Curt was talking about? I never heard that before so I'm wondering if they need to be fabricated to work in the 4th gen. I am using both 5th LIM & UIM so I would like to use those brackets for support.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Bacon Lover

Hey do you know what the brackets Curt was talking about? I never heard that before so I'm wondering if they need to be fabricated to work in the 4th gen. I am using both 5th LIM & UIM so I would like to use those brackets for support.
He's referring to the two brackets that bolt to the upper manifold and the (heads is it? I forget). They're there to help provide support for the back of the upper manifold. You can't really see them without removing the manifold, but stick your hand back there and you can feel for them (you kind of have to remove the bolts that connect it to the upper manifold to take it off).

Most swaps have chosen not to use any brackets for the sheer fact that it's a pain in the rear end sometimes as well as adds extra cost if you're going out and buying a set of 5th gen ones.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 AM

So will the 4th gen brackets do ok? Stronger bolts possibly? What's the recomendation, cause I never heard anyway say that before Curt. He knows what he's talking about so I want to take it into consideration.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm a little surprised people are having trouble with bolt holes stripping with unsupported 00VIs. I've not had that problem after several years of running unsupported. I suspect the problem is overtorqueing the bolts. Those 6 mm threads won't take a lot of bolt tension, but with the thick 00VI o-ring style manifold gasket you don't really need much. Just enough to compress the gasket.

Concerning the mismatch, it's about 1/16" to 3/32" sideways. I can make the ports match up exactly, but it requires some fancy and precise drilling. This post shows what I mean: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=50 I used dowels for precise assembly location during install. Here's another pic: http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...6&postcount=57

Also, as much as I'd like to take credit for the 180 deg rotation idea, it was Tilley who first did that. As far as I know.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Kevlo for President

The 00vi bolts ARE NOT suppose to be tight at all. 10in pounds or ft pounds I forgot which.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM
3.5 in the works

I had a bolt strip on me using proper sequence and a torque wrench. Who knows, maybe I just had a bad bolt.

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Most swaps have chosen not to use any brackets for the sheer fact that it's a pain in the rear end sometimes as well as adds extra cost if you're going out and buying a set of 5th gen ones.
I didn't find it that much of a pain. But after seeing how the 00VI is mounted at the front and by the EGR at the back, I don't see a need to retain the brackets. The EGR guide tube will support the back end well enough. My 00VI has been on the car for over 1.5 years unsupported and I've had no problems whatsoever. Plus, those brackets weigh a couple lbs and to me it's just extra weight I don't need.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Yeah I was talking to krizmax today and he said that once he had the 00vi bolted in he could move the entire car when he tried to move the 00vi. The LIM should be torqued to 20-23 ft-lb and I believe it says 13-16 ft-lb for the intake collection/UIM. That's the specs for the 4th gen. I'm guessing its the same for the 00vi?
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 AM
3.5 in the works

No the 5th gen upper is a lot less - smaller, longer bolts. IIRC about 8-10 ft-lbs is the spec. But check an FSM to make sure before you do it.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:14 AM

Ok. does anyone have a 5th gen FSM? I do remember the bolts that krismax gave me. Very thin and long. I'm guessing 10 sounds right since two guys remember that number. Gotta find the fsm....
Old 10-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I didn't find it that much of a pain. But after seeing how the 00VI is mounted at the front and by the EGR at the back, I don't see a need to retain the brackets. The EGR guide tube will support the back end well enough.
Thing is, though, I won't be running EGR. I made a block-off plate. So if I can, I'd like to run the passenger's side bracket atleast just for peace of mind. I'm not particularly worried about it, but having one bracket work would be nice.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Yeah I decided to run the egr so I took his advice.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM

You can take my advice or not, but I used both rear support brackets from the 5th gen simply for added security. I know that one time after I had the 00VI on and bolted down, I inadvertenty leaned on the upper trying to reach back behind the upper to get to the rear brackets. It did not break, but I was concerned that it shifted under the weight. It was late and I was not thinking clearly. I look at it this way, when you add up the weight of the upper, TB, and consider how the upper is basically a lever at the bolting points, it was not worth the risk to me for the cost of the brackets ($11 each). I know there are plenty of people out there running without them and not having any problems, but I was not going to take that risk. I will agree that they are difficult to install, but only took me about 20 minutes total, as I was patient and did not get frustrated by the limited space. My dad always used to say something to me growing up that usually guides the way I do all my work..."there's never enough time to do it right the first time, but there always seems to be time to do it twice."

By the way, I spent several hours writing a comprehensive step by step instruction sheet of how to do the swap using 4th gen lower, functioning egr, 4th gen IACV, 5th gen TB and MSD digital activation switch. I also included instructions of how to modify the lower and make the IACV remote plate. I have not yet decided what to do with the document. I don't really feel like giving it away.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Well the UIM i just got does not have the spots on the back on the manifold for the brackets. Krismax shaved them off. Is there a way to add them still?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:58 PM

The way I see those brackets, they're probably engineering overkill. However, I don't have complete confidence that the bolts holding the UIM to the LIM were designed to handle that load without any help. I think of this sort of like wearing seat belts: I'd rather use them and never need them, then not bother with them and later on regret that decision.
There's no absolute right or wrong way here, but at least with this discussion individual guys can decide for themselves with the benefit of others' experience.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 PM

That's exactly why we read this forum Curt, good point. Take from it what you want and make your own decisions. It's all a learning experience for us all.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Bacon Lover

Take a look at my progress as of tonight:

Essentially, I need to go pick up a 12mm wrench in the morning so I can get the 2 support bracket bolts off and tada...the upper manifold will come off. That's it so far, though. Only an hour and a half put into it right now.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:38 PM

So you guys didn't say anything about my other post....on the back side of the 5th UIM there should be pieces that hang down to attach the brackets correct? Well mine are shaved off from the previous owner. Anyway I can still connect them?
Old 10-07-2006, 04:08 AM

Not as far as I know. The brackets were molded plastic with brass sleeves, so Have no idea how you would put brackets there now. Like many have said, they are not absolutely necessary, but a good thing to have if you are worried. If you are insistent on having the support brackets, look for another upper.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Bacon Lover

I'm about 2 steps away from ramming a wrench in my eye out of sheer frustration. I CANNOT get these bracket bolts off. Socket wrenches don't fit, and once under torque, regular wrenches seem to just slip right off, if I can even get my hands in there to torque them.

How did all of you who have done the swap get these things off?!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:07 AM

Well I'm guessing you already blasted them so they shouldnt be stock...are you using the open or closed part of the wrench?

Also I wanted to ask everyone something. I've gotten a lot of mixed feelings so I wanted to ask the guys in here since there's a lot that know what you are doing. I'm going to use all the gen parts minus the tb and iacv, because I was told that I would not have to tune the car. I've also been told I would ned to tune the car from others so I'm trying to get some more feedback. I wont be able to buy the JWT for the swap for a while (if I even buy it at all) so should I not do the 5th gen setup?
Old 10-07-2006, 06:22 AM

Tatanko, the bolts should be a standard 8M bolt with a 12mm hex head, so make sure you have a good socket head and drive. If I remember correctly, I had better luck with the bolt that goes into the head vs. the manifold. It's easier to get to from under the TB and around the EGR. It's hard, but try to get some PB Blaster in there or WD 40 and let it sit for a while. Plus, you'll need to have some time to get your frustration level down so you don't mame yourself with a wrench. After all, having an 00VI is no fun if you can't see to drive it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 AM

So you guys didn't say anything about my other post....on the back side of the 5th UIM there should be pieces that hang down to attach the brackets correct? Well mine are shaved off from the previous owner. Anyway I can still connect them?
Yes, just use the egr tube. It will support the rear of the 00VI quite nicely.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:35 AM

Ok thanks Stephen. And what are your thoughts about my other post? I'd really like some imput from you guys since I trust your judgment on this setup.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Bacon Lover

You won't need tuning if you use the 4th gen lower/fuel, however, tuning will still help to get the most out of it.

Thanks to those that have replied about my problem. I finally managed to get a socket and everything on there, but between the knuckle I had to use to get the right angle and the 10" extension I have to use to reach, it's hard to apply torque. It also doesn't seem to want to come off, but I also hadn't been using PB blaster. I don't know what happened to my can of that stuff, so I just used some of the spray version of Seafoam (not the crap you use to clean out your engine, but the liquidy spray kind meant for rust and what not). We'll see. I also have NismoMax80 coming over tonight and he's got more tools than I do, so I hope to have these damn bolts off tonight
Old 10-07-2006, 06:45 AM

Yeah but I'm going to do the 5th lower and rails so I think I remember your site saying that tuning was a most. Krismax told me he didnt tune and ran good times. I wont be running track, but I want to make sure the car will run ok without tuning. That's why I'm trying to get as much feedback to see what the guys with the other setups said. I've been told using all 5th gen is a better idea because of lining up manifolds and such so I'm really trying to get that input before I decide about buying the lower section.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Bacon Lover

Yeah but I'm going to do the 5th lower and rails so I think I remember your site saying that tuning was a most. Krismax told me he didnt tune and ran good times. I wont be running track, but I want to make sure the car will run ok without tuning. That's why I'm trying to get as much feedback to see what the guys with the other setups said. I've been told using all 5th gen is a better idea because of lining up manifolds and such so I'm really trying to get that input before I decide about buying the lower section.
Tuning is definitely reccomended with the 5th gen lower/fuel, but it's not like your car is going to explode without it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:56 AM

Just that I know I wont have the money for the JWT. There isnt really any options other than the JWT or EU. Guess I might have to go 4th lower....
Old 10-07-2006, 07:03 AM

You can tune with a VAFCII on the stock ECU and have good results from what I have read. The VAFCII is like $300, which is cheaper than the JWT ECU. If you do the 5th gen lower, your car will just run rich. If you have to dough, I'd go with the 5th gen lower and add an adjustable FPR and VAFCII. That would be my first choice if I had the money.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Bacon Lover

Just that I know I wont have the money for the JWT. There isnt really any options other than the JWT or EU. Guess I might have to go 4th lower....
Or you could use the 5th gen lower and grab a used S-AFC 2 or V-AFC 2 for cheap

Quick Reply: WHY is this not a sticky!?!