All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Probable inline air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007 | 12:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Ok, well I guess it wouldnt be classified as the ram effect, but one thing, the straw theory applies. Get a coffee straw, suck as hard as you can until your lungs are full. Time it. Then, do it while sticking your head out of a car window with a small funnel on the end of it. Air WILL travel faster through it when its beind pushed into it from your movement. Especially with a funnel on the end. Air takes the path of least resistance, and unless inhibited, will take a smooth path. Thus, the funnel will do just that, guide the air into the straw(or for the intake, the tube). Also, if the presure applied to the air going into the funnel is greater than normal air pressure, then the pressure in the intake would be higher than normal. Like putting pressure on meat through a grinder. It will go faster if force is applied from the outside, and the speed doesnt soleley rely on the pulling power of the grinder.
Theoretical ≠ practical in this case.

You're unknowingly describing the ram air effect in layman's terms.
Old 08-08-2007 | 12:54 PM
DasYears

Ok, well I guess it wouldnt be classified as the ram effect, but one thing, the straw theory applies. Get a coffee straw, suck as hard as you can until your lungs are full. Time it. Then, do it while sticking your head out of a car window with a small funnel on the end of it. Air WILL travel faster through it when its beind pushed into it from your movement. Especially with a funnel on the end.
if you want to take this approach, get a 4' diameter funnel, put it on the end of your car and use that. then your comparison is apples to apples. or you can breathe with the straw out of a car WITHOUT the funnel, your choice. you cant deny physics though

Also, if the presure applied to the air going into the funnel is greater than normal air pressure, then the pressure in the intake would be higher than normal
pressure is the same as long as you stay at the same elevation, the only thing that changes is the velocity at which air enters the tube, which i have already shown to make
little difference

just go out and do the ram air thing, report back to us about the placebo effect, then move on
Old 08-08-2007 | 01:55 PM

Ok, don't use a funnel. But air is still going to come in that straw while moving whether you suck it or not. Take a PVC pipe, put two cpu fans at either end. Move the one out pushing air in off to the side, and see how fast the airspeed is in the pipe. Put it back on. Measure it again. Would it not be higher with 2 fans?

Are you telling me that if I take an airtight box, put one wall in, still airtight, that the pressure is going to be the same? Ever heard of a basketball pump? You push it down faster than it can come out, the pressure inside the tube raises...

What I'm trying to say is that with a fog light shaped funnel, into a 3" pipe, would be beneficial due to the air traveling into the pipe without the engine having to pull it in. Whether it would increase pressure, etc...the ram effect[is claimed to be] is negligible.
Old 08-08-2007 | 03:13 PM
DasYears

Take a PVC pipe, put two cpu fans at either end. Move the one out pushing air in off to the side, and see how fast the airspeed is in the pipe. Put it back on. Measure it again. Would it not be higher with 2 fans?
if both fans flow equal cfm and the pipe shows no friction on the end then the CFM would be equal between the conditions.

Are you telling me that if I take an airtight box, put one wall in, still airtight, that the pressure is going to be the same?
wtf does this mean? no, if you put another wall in you wont magically get pressure. unless that wall is pushed from one end to the other. even then though, one side would be pressurized while the other would be under a negative pressure. in other words, i dont understand the english in your example.

What I'm trying to say is that with a fog light shaped funnel, into a 3" pipe, would be beneficial due to the air traveling into the pipe without the engine having to pull it in.
air is never pulled in, your engine sees 14.7 PSI every day (sea level).
Old 08-08-2007 | 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by DasYears
if both fans flow equal cfm and the pipe shows no friction on the end then the CFM would be equal between the conditions.
Pipes show friction. Not to mention, with less stress on one fan, both can work more efficiently. Kinda like a turbo, using one force to add force somewhere else for more power. Moving(I wont say pushing because then you'll get confused between what I am saying, and the ram effect.) air into the pipe at xx mph will reduce the amount of force needed to get air into the engine.

After you reach the velocity threshold of the intake, any faster speed would push air into the pipe, this is the ram effect. Air at a faster speed is pushing on air at a lower speed. The effect, how much, the gains, etc...are negligible and speculative.

wtf does this mean? no, if you put another wall in you wont magically get pressure. unless that wall is pushed from one end to the other. even then though, one side would be pressurized while the other would be under a negative pressure. in other words, i dont understand the english in your example.
Sorry, put shouldave been push. Making the inner space smaller without losing the airtight seal.

air is never pulled in, your engine sees 14.7 PSI every day (sea level).
So you're saying that if I put my hand against the throttle body, covering it up, and open the throttle, then there will be no suction on my hand?

----

Nevertheless, I want to continue talk about the intake, not picky stuff about the ram effect. Other than cost(which, might I add would be made up for after a few filter purchases, due to cheaper, smaller filters), what disadvantages come out of this?
Old 08-08-2007 | 05:49 PM

after all this im kinda lost on what the point is in all this.
As for the ram air look at the 07 g35 with dual ram air ducts makes a verified extra 3-6hp at 60 mph is it worth it in my opinion hell no the inline filter thing is already been tested thats why weve moved to the cone filter as for the tubing---using a more tapered pipe 2 1/2 TB to a 4 inch filter inlet is more effective in cramming more air in the same are as a single 3'pipe would do at any rpm range just look at AEM V2 intakes just my .02
Old 08-08-2007 | 08:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

with the IAT in the cold tube, youre detecting cooler air than youre actually using, so you are more likely to run a little rich
Incorrect, the ecu does not use the IAT for fuel or ignition adjustment
Old 08-09-2007 | 06:01 AM
MAXIN' ON

Ill admit Im new and have done some reading. I guess I need a manual. I totally agree that no ram air effect is going to take place but what is the purpose of the IAT. I know what it stands for Idle air temperature or something like that. What does the ecu use it for if not vertain adjustments. I only go by what Ive learned from my previous cars knowledge. Thats why we see all those resistors on ebay for $20.
Old 08-09-2007 | 06:05 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by redls1
Ill admit Im new and have done some reading. I guess I need a manual. I totally agree that no ram air effect is going to take place but what is the purpose of the IAT. I know what it stands for Idle air temperature or something like that. What does the ecu use it for if not vertain adjustments. I only go by what Ive learned from my previous cars knowledge. Thats why we see all those resistors on ebay for $20.
IAT == Intake Air Temperature, and used only used for diagnostics, from what I've read around here.
Old 08-09-2007 | 06:30 AM
MAXIN' ON

"Idle air temperature or something like that" DUH what was I thinking. Must be too early in the moring for me.
Old 08-09-2007 | 07:35 AM
DasYears

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Incorrect, the ecu does not use the IAT for fuel or ignition adjustment
did not know, thx
Old 08-10-2007 | 04:30 PM

Well I hooked my old stock box today as per Roadrunners setup,was easy enough and helps me be lazy as Ive been putting off cutting the hole in the fender and installing the rest of the CAI...obviously no way to tell for real what if any difference it makes but it added some hella tyte jdm ductwork to the engine bay I didnt have any kinda scoop to add to the bottom of the duct so I just pointed it facing forward and put a screen on the end....sits fairly flush with the bottom of the car and certainly is not the lowest point of the car so clearance dont seem to be an issue,I'll post some pics if anyone interested.
Old 08-10-2007 | 06:59 PM

Would be great!
Old 08-10-2007 | 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Godson
Well I hooked my old stock box today as per Roadrunners setup,I'll post some pics if anyone interested.
I'm interested!
I'll post you a pic of the duct I used for the scoop.
Old 08-11-2007 | 11:02 PM

Sorry cant find the stupid mini usb cord anywhere. Gonna go buy a new one tomorrow and then I can post it.