All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
I don't think there is enough difference between the two that one would limit you to just street or track...

if it were me I would pick 8.5:1
The lower C/R piston will def bring and advantage to prevent detonation since this car will be S/C'd, but I'll talk with Enrico the shop foreman tomorrow and see what he would suggest.

A+

AA
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 AM

I just got off the phone with Dave B, he suggest that I buy 8.5:1 C/R forged pistons, since this car is going to run with boost. I finally made my mind and will bite the bullet with the 8.5:1 C/R forged piston.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by doublea
I just got off the phone with Dave B, he suggest that I buy 8.5:1 C/R forged pistons, since this car is going to run with boost. I finally made my mind and will bite the bullet with the 8.5:1 C/R forged piston.
I'm going 11.5:1
Old 12-23-2008, 12:13 PM

If my car wouldn't see boost, I would go for something like 11.5:1 too.

A+
Old 12-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I'm moving and I'll be getting my own garage by Feb. so things will be getting really serious here for me soon with my build.

besides I may not get boost...but I can spray
Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM

I'm moving and I'll be getting my own garage by Feb. so things will be getting really serious here for me soon with my build.

besides I may not get boost...but I can spray
Good for you man, seing how handy you are you can only enjoyed the use of a garage.

I'm having a lot of fun putting this project car together, but I know there is still a lot to accomplish before I can drive it, but I'm hoping to have it ready for may 09.

I have to drop the original DEK pistons at the shop tomorrow morning, Enrico the shop foreman want to take some measurement and hopefully have all the spec to order the custom pistons tomorrow but I know it's very tight but otherwise friday. There is a 4 weeks turn around time for the piston delivery but during this time we will finally paint the engine bay & the subframe connector, once this is done I'm sure thing will go fast as we pretty much can assemble the direction/suspension and lot's of other stuff.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Good for you man, seing how handy you are you can only enjoyed the use of a garage.

I'm having a lot of fun putting this project car together, but I know there is still a lot to accomplish before I can drive it, but I'm hoping to have it ready for may 09.

I have to drop the original DEK pistons at the shop tomorrow morning, Enrico the shop foreman want to take some measurement and hopefully have all the spec to order the custom pistons tomorrow but I know it's very tight but otherwise friday. There is a 4 weeks turn around time for the piston delivery but during this time we will finally paint the engine bay & the subframe connector, once this is done I'm sure thing will go fast as we pretty much can assemble the direction/suspension and lot's of other stuff.
I'm hoping to have mine done in late may/early june 2009.

Are you going to bring it down for maxus 2009?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:39 AM

That would be cool to drive it down to Florida, a nice long 28 hrs drive across the USA sound like a plan.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Turbo'd Saab

That would be cool to drive it down to Florida, a nice long 28 hrs drive across the USA sound like a plan.
Maxus is actually going to be held in Maryland which will be closer for you.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 AM

Maxus is actually going to be held in Maryland which will be closer for you.
Maryland is about 9-10 hours drive, so that would cut the driving time a lot. Do you know exactly when the maxus is happening ?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM

June/ July If I'm not mistaken. Check with Aaron92SE. I know him along with the crew from NWP Engineering will be there
Old 12-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
June/ July If I'm not mistaken. Check with Aaron92SE. I know him along with the crew from NWP Engineering will be there
The last weekend in June.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm trying to buy all the parts that I'm missing before the end of my holidays vacation, so I have few questions that I'm sure someone can answer.

1- What size injectors should I get 440's or 550's (I'm thinking of buying Deatchwerk )

2- Does anyone have the spec for a high stall converter for my auto tranny I'm thinking of buying something like a 2500 - 2800 but if anyone has a part number or a reference number I can use and call some company ?

3- Should I use a simpler way to tune my DEK than using Emanage Ultimate ? Some people are suggesting that I first start with a simple way to tune the car first and later upgrade to EU once the car is started and run fine, is that make sense ?

4- What pulley should I first put on the V2 T Trim ( I was thinking to start with 3.125 and then move on with the 2.87 and ultimately the 2.62 but I dont know maybe I should start with the 2.87 from the beginning.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Kevlo for President

1 - You want 550cc

2 - You want an edge racing 2800 high stall TC, search..

3 - Install the EU before the SC and work out any kinks you have.

4 - dunno
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I'm trying to buy all the parts that I'm missing before the end of my holidays vacation, so I have few questions that I'm sure someone can answer.

1- What size injectors should I get 440's or 550's (I'm thinking of buying Deatchwerk )

2- Does anyone have the spec for a high stall converter for my auto tranny I'm thinking of buying something like a 2500 - 2800 but if anyone has a part number or a reference number I can use and call some company ?

3- Should I use a simpler way to tune my DEK than using Emanage Ultimate ? Some people are suggesting that I first start with a simple way to tune the car first and later upgrade to EU once the car is started and run fine, is that make sense ?

4- What pulley should I first put on the V2 T Trim ( I was thinking to start with 3.125 and then move on with the 2.87 and ultimately the 2.62 but I dont know maybe I should start with the 2.87 from the beginning.

I thought you already called Andre at Edge Torque converters in California about a 2800 stall TC, but if not then you should give them a try.... that's what I use, anyway.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Honestly, start with the 3.125 pulley first, you can run that with an unmodified SC plate.

Once you get below 3.125, you may need to modify the plate to not interfere with the belt route.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
1 - You want 550cc Ok

2 - You want an edge racing 2800 high stall TC, search.. Ok thank, with a 4 year old kid always on my butt, searching is a commodity that I rarely have time for...Lol

3 - Install the EU before the SC and work out any kinks you have. Ok, Dandy might come over to help me plug everything.

4 - dunno
I'll get the 3.125 and 2.87 for starting.

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I thought you already called Andre at Edge Torque converters in California about a 2800 stall TC, but if not then you should give them a try.... that's what I use, anyway.
Thanks for the contact, I'll definitely give him a call.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaXeDouT
Honestly, start with the 3.125 pulley first, you can run that with an unmodified SC plate.

Once you get below 3.125, you may need to modify the plate to not interfere with the belt route.
I got Matty's V1 Kit, do I still have to shave the post if I use smaller pulley than 3.125 ?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM

I got Matty's V1 Kit, do I still have to shave the post if I use smaller pulley than 3.125 ?

I believe you don't need to modify the V1 plate, I haven't gone below a 3125 so I wouldn't know for sure. Just check the belt clearances when its bolted up.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 AM

Hey guys, today is the day, after many report and constraint due for most in thing that needed to be adressed before the painting and also the holidays, we are finally getting ready to paint the max today. I took few shots of the temporary paint chamber that we did. Lol... We only need to hook up the ventilation system in order to get fresh air in and the fume outside, it should be working nearly as good as a real positive pressure painting booth. Hopefully I should be able to post more pics as we advance today.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM

Link to pics below.

We finished yesterday at 5:00 pm so it took us the afternoon, but we also had the time to prime a bunch of part & brackets. For the one it may interest we used PPG top of the line paint products. To do the jobs in total safety, I had previously purchased a very good 3M NIOSH full face mask ( cost is about 200$ )

Before starting the jobs I was very concerned by the isocyanate and others hazardous product that are contain in the paint product, those are known for being very dangerous to health if inalate. I was very happy with the 3M mask, during the entire afternoon I was unable to smell anything, but when I removed the mask, oh my god the smell was so awful, a normal person cannot stand like 1 minute.

If I have some advice to give to anyone who would like to paint his car, dont take any chance with you health and make sure to spend the $$$ for a Top notch full face 3M/NIOSH breathing mask. The reason I didn't bought a supplied air mask is because I'm using a HVLP spray gun that only need 43 lbs of aire pressure so surprisingly there was no fume in the paint room, our ventilation system was working very well for that matter.

Now for the painting, I might do it tomorrow if I can take off from the job, otherwise we will do the base coat and clear coat next saturday. BTW those pics where taken after the first coats of primer, we put like 3 coats.

Enough talk here is the pics:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0437.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0436.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0435.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0434.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0433.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0432.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0431.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0430.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0429.jpg

Last edited by doublea; 01-04-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Thats exactly what I wanted to do...but I was gonna do it with spray paint cans LOL

DAMN D! Your going all out and its looking pretty nice.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

Very nice work. I just skimmed through and notice this thread went from NA, to boost prep, to autobody, lol. Good stuff though.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by TJ_Max
Very nice work. I just skimmed through and notice this thread went from NA, to boost prep, to autobody, lol. Good stuff though.
If I remember correctly I had few threads going on and they were all merge in this thread.

There is so many aspect that are unpredictable when building a car, but things are going the way I want, but not necessary in the order I tough it would be. Lol
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Thats exactly what I wanted to do...but I was gonna do it with spray paint cans LOL

DAMN D! Your going all out and its looking pretty nice.
With spray can it would be a PITA but not impossible to do. Lol
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Paradox Systems Vendor

If I remember correctly I had few threads going on and they were all merge in this thread.

There is so many aspect that are unpredictable when building a car, but things are going the way I want, but not necessary in the order I tough it would be. Lol

Don't I know it. We are putting a sticker on this 450+ HP Eclipse for this same unpredictability factor. Sticker reads "Might as Well Motorsports".

We were just gonna do seals, then might as well do hardware, then might as well get block redecked, then might as well do pistons and rods, lol.

Gotta love it though.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM

That is one of the most ambitious, challenging project I've come to do in my life, there is so many aspect that can go in any direction, so many things are unpredictable. Next step is to apply the base coats and clear wich I think will be on the agenda for next week-end.
For now and until the project is done, it's going to be one day at a time and hopefully thing should be ok.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:21 AM

I finally ordered the custom pistons yesterday, the C/R will be 9.25:1 this was calculate in order to get a final C/R of 9.5:1

The VQ30DEK heads has been planned and few thousand were shaved so that's why the machine shop has asked me to order 9.25:1 C/R. BTW this is the place I ordered the pistons: http://www.atomicspeedware.com/

if anyone is interested you can talk directly with either Claude or Nick Arias the 3rd both are great guys to speak and are very knowledgeable, there product is not cheap by any mean bit you'll get what you paid for > Top notch pistons + comp ring + wrist pin & lock. Delivery time frame is 4 weeks.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM

Hey guys, hope you all had a nice week. This morning we applied the PPG Deltron 2000 DBC base coat, ( Sterling mist ) we put about 4 coats, turned out very nice. We just now finished the first coat of clear ( PPG DCU2002 ) we need to wait 60 -70 minutes between each coat, we will probably put 3-4 coats but I'll see how it goes and if more coats are needed we wont cut corner, I think we will be done at around 7 pm tonight. I'll take some pics as soon as we are finished, probably post it in the morning tomorrow, cuz I'm dead beat, I'm taking a 30 min nap and then go strait back in the garage to finish the jobs.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 AM

My 47 years old body is crying this morning, it's like I have run a maraton, anyway we finished at 8:30 pm yesterday. I'm quite satisfied with the job but I might decide to give a quick sand and put another 2 coats tomorrow, I need to rest before my body fell a part. Lol

I'm taking monday off so I can finish the subframe painting and the engine mount
+ a bunch of miscellaneous parts, hopefully I'll start putting back the car all together
before the engine get back from the shop around mid february.

Here's the pics:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0438.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0439.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0440.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0441.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0442.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0443.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0444.jpg

Check this side project:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0445.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0446.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0447.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0448.jpg

Last edited by doublea; 01-11-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Hey guys, here some more pics of the saturday works. I just need to paint the LCA before I can start assembling the suspension, directions etc.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0449.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0453.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0454.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0450.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...a/IMG_0452.jpg
Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Kevlo for President

Nice steering rack... but purple for the rest?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Hey Kevlo911, it may look too much alone like this, but once the engine bay is fully assembled it will make more sense. Both timing cover and valve cover are triple white chrome, the supercharger bracket is black chromed & the supercharger is fully polished, so there is so much attention paid to each parts, brackets, bolts and such that seing few parts alone may look like

I dont expect every one to like it or agree with me, but it was hesitating between midnight blue or purple, but for a reason I cant really explain it seem that my brain preferred that purple... all along with the Sterling mist engine bay it make a really nice reflecting effect. I'll show some more pics when the subframe is installed you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Kevlo for President

I've seen that purple in the engine bays and body of old muscle cars and it looks bad ***. So it prob will look good in your car too.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks Kevlo, I hope that it turned out good too. Decision has to be taken and you never know until you take the plunge and do it but I'm confident that this car will be a never seem before. I still have another 2-3 weeks to wait before the custom piston get in and we can start the final assembly of the engine, I should be done with the painting in the next 2 weeks.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Turbo'd Saab

thats a nice purple. Goob job.

whats the ETA on the engine?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 AM

thats a nice purple. Goob job.

whats the ETA on the engine?

Earlier this week I received a call from Nick Arias, basically they where asking for the exact offset of the wrist pin, we tough it was .080 but after reviewing our measurement we find out it is .040 so at this point we are only waiting for the custom piston to arrive wich is about 3 weeks.

The engine should be ready at the end of feb or the first week of march. Once assembled we will bring the engine back in my garage, and dress it up before it goes in. But let say we take a week to dress the engine, hopefully at the end of march the engine should be back in. We still have a lots of work to do but my real goal is to test drive the first week of may. I honestly think that we will encounter difficulty that may push back that date.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Earlier this week I received a call from Nick Arias, basically they where asking for the exact offset of the wrist pin, we tough it was .080 but after reviewing our measurement we find out it is .040 so at this point we are only waiting for the custom piston to arrive wich is about 3 weeks.

The engine should be ready at the end of feb or the first week of march. Once assembled we will bring the engine back in my garage, and dress it up before it goes in. But let say we take a week to dress the engine, hopefully at the end of march the engine should be back in. We still have a lots of work to do but my real goal is to test drive the first week of may. I honestly think that we will encounter difficulty that may push back that date.
Agreed troubleshooting with this much modification is going to be a pain, but I wish you luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 AM

Holy crap.. you were'nt kidding when you said you "still have to put the car together" AA. Thats a crazy (good way) build. Good work and keep it up!

Quick Reply: My n/a project